The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-24-2022, 01:56 PM   #41
MattOnWheels
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Those were the days. When people came here to discuss their TMNT fandom.
Right? And the thing is, it's not even a case of times being "Better" back then. A simple look through the thread reveals that just like today, there were naysayers mixed in. One banned user in there even calls the series "Trash" despite it only being the first episode! It just goes to show, there were no truly "Better" times. We bitched and moaned even when we were being given awesome things. That's just the nature of fandoms. Some people get so wrapped up in what they want that they can't see the forest through the trees. I'm willing to bet that if the net had existed in 1987 the same way it does today, there would be people calling FW utter blasphemy and demanding its' cancelation on the grounds that "Real fans deserve better."

My way of looking at it is this: No, I did not experience 80's Turtlemania. I did, however, experience my OWN Turtlemania with my own generation, boosted by my appreciation of what came before. It wasn't the same as what some of you had, but it didn't have to be! It gave me memories I'll cherish for the rest of my life and made me fall in love with the Turtles as a whole, NOT just one incarnation. In my book that's a success, because to this very day, the turtles still make me happy. To think that I was 12 years old when I browsed that thread, and I'm 31 now. Here I am counting the days till Shredder's Revenge comes out. Life has been good to me and the Turtles are still part of it. That's rad!

Last edited by MattOnWheels; 03-24-2022 at 02:02 PM.
MattOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:33 PM   #42
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
When people came here to discuss their TMNT fandom.
What exactly does this mean, going somewhere to discuss "their fandom"? I don't think I've ever discussed "my fandom" anywhere, ever. What does this look like?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:00 PM   #43
MattOnWheels
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What exactly does this mean, going somewhere to discuss "their fandom"? I don't think I've ever discussed "my fandom" anywhere, ever. What does this look like?
I believe he means instead of arguing, perhaps. Though as I pointed out, every fandom does that. Though I can't speak for the overall vibe of this site since then. So far it seems like it's mostly alright.
MattOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:27 PM   #44
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOnWheels View Post
I believe he means instead of arguing, perhaps. Though as I pointed out, every fandom does that. Though I can't speak for the overall vibe of this site since then. So far it seems like it's mostly alright.
I mean, I *can* be a much bigger dick. I just try and save it up for when people deserve it. I can definitely try a lot harder than I've been, though, I admit.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:44 AM   #45
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

MOTU/TMNT memories :

-being blown away by MOTU intro in '84 , when youve seen MOTU/Gadget/Transformers/MASK/Defenders of Earth first time around on Sky then you know youve lived quite a number of yrs *whistles*.....then first time on vhs and on The Childrens Channel. I prolly watched a few 60s Batman on Sky but had almost forgotten about Batman until '89......actually never saw Defenders on TV , just vhs

-in '90 the MOTU comic was canned in Norway , i still remember the Hordak cover.....makes me sad to think about , also seeing a Gwildor on a worn card in the 90s when MOTU was long dead

-when TMNT III came out i could sense turtlemania was over , still remember the toy store had toys in the window (which now is a pizza place) , the toys were cooler than the movie. Still remember when i first heard of TMNT around '89.....like many other kids had no idea about Mirage nor were those sold here

-i remember last day before x-mas at school in '90 , went to gas station to buy the candy olive colored figurines.....just 2 , not the whole set (which i have now sealed , even 2 movie cereals sealed.....anyone feeling hungry )

Film critic Paal Bang Hansen was not thrilled by turtlemania : "has this horrible movie come to Norway too ?" , he had just been to US and heard about it......he died when i went to NY , i was thinking of writing him a letter but was not to be. I think if he saw the new TMNT films hed say "yknow , the first TMNT was at least decent even though its not my fav film or anything"

I did not see MOTU movie until '90 on ppv channel but i do remember it in video store.....unlike many kids i loved this movie , heck i even made a wooden sword at school , it looked nothing like in the movie and i also cut off the cord of an acient video game gun so i could have a movie inspired gun (wussy new teacher we got later in wood shop , he forbade us to make swords/weapons)

Last edited by Hamato Yoshi; 04-06-2022 at 12:57 AM.
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:38 AM   #46
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

Heenan : how is TMNT in any way evil ?

Monsoon : What do you mean ?

Heenan : If anything is evil its that french Jordy kid , his songs give me nightmares !

Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:31 AM   #47
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamato Yoshi View Post
Still remember when i first heard of TMNT around '89.....like many other kids had no idea about Mirage nor were those sold here
I'm pretty sure the Turtles hit Norway the same time as Sweden, and that date was August 1990 (unless you count some 1987 releases of the Mirage Studios comics).
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 02:41 PM   #48
red1981
Random Punk

i still remember reading the archie comics, stores with shelfs full of the toys, and all the kids talking about it on the playground everyday
red1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 03:14 PM   #49
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1981 View Post
i still remember reading the archie comics, stores with shelfs full of the toys, and all the kids talking about it on the playground everyday
Yeah, for a key couple of years it wasn't like you could go up to boys in the classroom and poll 6 of them about what are they the most into and get different answers. It was "I'm into TMNT" or you're uncool, for that period. And TMNT didn't go away after that period, it just wasn't as universally and fanatically loved.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:48 PM   #50
Coola Yagami
Overlord

One thing I remember TMNT TF SNES being so good considering it was an all-original fighting game not adapting a pre-existing arcade. Part of me felt kinda bad that I knew Turtlemania was on its way out so we'd never get a TF2 or a Super TF or whatever.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:59 PM   #51
red1981
Random Punk

it makes me happy that there are others my age that remember the turtle craze it was something that i dont think could happen again
Old 04-10-2022, 07:20 PM   #52
Mad Dog McMutt
Hench Mutant

Turtlemania was a very beautiful thing. I was born in 86 so when I was 4 years old the turtles were already everywhere. In my mind they were these magical entities that I had to know more about. The cartoon was great, the arcade and video games were great, the movies were great, and the action figures were great. The theme song still gives me the most intense vibe of nostalgia.
Mad Dog McMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:56 PM   #53
red1981
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog McMutt View Post
Turtlemania was a very beautiful thing. I was born in 86 so when I was 4 years old the turtles were already everywhere. In my mind they were these magical entities that I had to know more about. The cartoon was great, the arcade and video games were great, the movies were great, and the action figures were great. The theme song still gives me the most intense vibe of nostalgia.
i remember first seeing one of epps i was 6 when it first aired and asked my mom why they where teenagers lol
Old 04-28-2022, 10:48 AM   #54
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Do the Turtles still have a big fanbase in Russia? I stumpled upon this website a couple of days ago, and it at least seems so.

https://www.turtlepower.ru/
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote