The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 08-24-2015, 04:02 PM   #1
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

A few questions for people who grew up with the Next Mutation

1. What was your opinion of the show when it was on (if this was your first introduction to the turtles)

2. What was you opinion on the PR:IS crossover (if you were watching the Power Rangers show aswell)
Old 08-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Next Mutation aired in 1997 right after the original cartoon ended in 1996, so I imagine most of the kids like myself who were following the original series at the time went on to Next Mutation.

I think I was 12 at the time, I knew it was made by Saban who made Power Rangers but I remember expecting it to be like the live-action movies. If it was like the second movie I probably would have loved the show.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The Next Mutation aired in 1997 right after the original cartoon ended in 1996, so I imagine most of the kids like myself who were following the original series at the time went on to Next Mutation.

I think I was 12 at the time, I knew it was made by Saban who made Power Rangers but I remember expecting it to be like the live-action movies. If it was like the second movie I probably would have loved the show.
Despite the bad ratings of the Red Sky seasons, they still tried to make kids care about the Turtles. If the show had been better, I wonder if the Turtles could have survived for a couple of more years until Pokémon came.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:40 PM   #4
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Despite the bad ratings of the Red Sky seasons, they still tried to make kids care about the Turtles. If the show had been better, I wonder if the Turtles could have survived for a couple of more years until Pokémon came.
Pokémon came in 1995-1996

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon

but at that time, TMNT was already beginning to fade away.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:46 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Pokémon came in 1995-1996

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon

but at that time, TMNT was already beginning to fade away.
The games came before the anime. But in the West, the anime aired before the games were on sale. So the whole Pokémon craze only exploded in the west in 1998 or so.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I just remember seeing it advertised on cans of Spaghetti-O's... big buff Mikey.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #7
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Despite the bad ratings of the Red Sky seasons, they still tried to make kids care about the Turtles.
Bad ratings? I thought the ratings actually went up during the Red Sky seasons?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:25 PM   #8
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I was in Italy at the time so all I saw were the action figures and the East Meets West VHS at the BX.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:28 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Bad ratings? I thought the ratings actually went up during the Red Sky seasons?
Maybe for season 8, but I doubt they went up in seasons 9 and 10. And even if they did, I doubt they were very impressive. Although they did renew the show 3 times for 8 episode seasons, so it probably still had a big enough fanbase to keep the show on air.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:36 PM   #10
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I know by that point I didn't even know TMNT was on anymore. I caught some of the red sky stuff, the mutations in particular and felt then that it was just dumb and had, "jumped the shark"

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #11
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I did not care for it because of Venus presence and not having Shredder as the lead villian. I did nit pay mych attrntion to it until I watched a few I taped off of tv five years later and the goofiness got on my nerves almost immediately. I guess that was the difference watching NM at age 10-11 opposed to 18. Either way it was Ninja Turtles so I watched it for a TMNT fix. Hated the PRiS crossover. I was slowly being disenchanted with PR with Billy gone then Tommy with no one to root for. A new character ticked me off on the onset then the TMNT were dragged through the mud in the crossover. Never watched PR again after that. I am an example of TMNT being able to coexist as a viable franchise. Watched and played Pokemon as well, but TMNT came first.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:01 PM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I know by that point I didn't even know TMNT was on anymore. I caught some of the red sky stuff, the mutations in particular and felt then that it was just dumb and had, "jumped the shark"
I have said this before in another thread but I have a feeling that most fans didn't know how the OT ended. For those of you that didn't get to watch Red Sky until years later, what were your guesses? That the Turtles had finally beaten Shredder in Krang in the last episode or something?
Old 08-24-2015, 08:23 PM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

The original TMNT fad died around 1992/1993 which was when Seasons 5-7 were airing. Remember a lot of kids switched over to Power Rangers around that time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:39 PM   #14
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Thankfully I was watching Power Rangers among that Time. All I ever saw of it was the toy commercials.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:27 PM   #15
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The original TMNT fad died around 1992/1993 which was when Seasons 5-7 were airing. Remember a lot of kids switched over to Power Rangers around that time.
Indeed. Although the Power Rangers fad didn't last that long, did it? It was kinda sandwiched between TMNT and Pokémon, just like Yu-Gi-Oh was popular for a year or two after the Pokémon fad cooled off.

Back when I was a little kid, other kids were crazy about DBZ before the Pokémon fad began.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:50 PM   #16
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Indeed. Although the Power Rangers fad didn't last that long, did it? It was kinda sandwiched between TMNT and Pokémon, just like Yu-Gi-Oh was popular for a year or two after the Pokémon fad cooled off.

Back when I was a little kid, other kids were crazy about DBZ before the Pokémon fad began.
Like I said I was a fan of all three so its room for more than one. As for the end of the '87 cartoon, tbe three Shredder / Krang episodes did not air in my area so it was not until 2007 that I saw them on Youtube. I saw alk the others, but do not remember realizing the series ended until CBS pulled it and Next Mutation started. I was not thrilled, but at least it was TMNT even if its not a way I caree to see them.

The PR fad started dying in 1996 around the time the series started annual subtitles with Zeo. So around the time TMNT was ending the classic cartoon the PR fad had blown over. It would be about two tears before Pokemon came to America.

As a fan of all three I see tbe fads as TMNT 1988-1993, MMPR 1993-1996; Pokémon late 1998-2001. So the other two were big roughly threee years and the TMNT for about five.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:12 AM   #17
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

I thought fads were things that were popular and then declined. TMNT Power Rangers and Pokemon are all still popular even to this day.
Yabuturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabuturtle View Post
I thought fads were things that were popular and then declined. TMNT Power Rangers and Pokemon are all still popular even to this day.
Back when they started, remakes weren't common. So when the Turtles and Power Rangers ended, no one really expected to see them again.

Also, the Power Rangers are still popular, really? Had no idea.

As for Pokémon, it was huge back in the late 90s, but it calmed down around the 3rd generation. And you must keep in mind that the Turtles' fad is pretty cyclical. And even though the Nick toon is pretty popular, it still isn't as big as the FW toon was back in the day. And the 2k3 toon, while popular, wasn't really that big. Believe it or not, many people to this day still don't know there was a Turtles cartoon back in 2002-2009. Whenever people mention "TMNT", everyone thinks of the FW toon and the first two movies still.

I dunno if Pokémon is still huge in school playgrounds like it was back in the 90s early 2000s. But a lot of Pokémon fans nowadays are people in their mid-late 20s who wanted to play the games again for nostalgia purposes. And also because they're usually considered some of the best games on Nintendo handhelds. I'm sure it's still big, but no idea if kids nowadays are as much into Pokémon as they were back in the 1st and 2nd generation games.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #19
Guitar_Raph
Superhero musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Turtle Terminator View Post
1. What was your opinion of the show when it was on (if this was your first introduction to the turtles)

2. What was you opinion on the PR:IS crossover (if you were watching the Power Rangers show aswell)
Yes it was, tv series wise. Didn't watch the 1987 classic. It's cool to see a live action series, despite the negativity it got. Liked Raph driving a motorcycle & Mikey's sewer hour. And for their promo, to have them play as a band.

As for the PRIS, cool to see heroes working together.

Mikey drums with nunchucks!
Guitar_Raph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #20
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Turtle Terminator View Post

I was 11 - 12 when The Next Mutation was airing in Ireland. It wasn't my first introduction to the turtles, but I thought it was a decent show at the time. I rewatched a few episodes nearly a year ago, though, and it was awful. It wasn't as good as I remembered it.

I only watched In Space, Lost Galaxy, Lightspeed Rescue and Time Force. I lost interest in Power Rangers after that, but I thought the crossover with the turtles was awesome at the time. I saw it in 2000 when In Space aired in Ireland when I was 13. I've never rewatched it, though, or Power Rangers for that matter.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
next mutation