The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you read the Archie series?
Yes, I've read most/all of it and still own the series 40 67.80%
I read it as a kid, but don't remember most of it 6 10.17%
I only read a handful of issues here and there 5 8.47%
I've never read any of it 8 13.56%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Have you read the Archie TMNT Adventure series?

Just curious. As popular as this series is with fans, its very old now and some people here have probably never read it.

I sometimes wish they made a cartoon adaption of TMNT Adventures, it was really good. We got some of the best villains in TMNT history out of this series, such as Null, Armaggon, Malinga, Verminator-X and a few others. As well as some of the best storylines.

I recently re-visited the series to see if the stories still hold up, and aside from the eco-preaching and some one-off bad issues, this series is actually still a fun read.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

I missed a few issues (I think like, mid fifties up until FST, and the seventies) but I have read most of it. Love it.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
gobo
Wacky Action

I'm starting to wonder if there are some issues that I just never read. I honestly can't remember anything about the end of the run.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Own it all but I still haven't read the Specials. Working my way toward them, though.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
I'm starting to wonder if there are some issues that I just never read. I honestly can't remember anything about the end of the run.
The last couple of arcs were the Cyber Turtles in the future dealing with Verminator X, the Mooneyes saga where Ninjara and Raphael break-up, a couple of Turtle toddler stories, and then Year of the Turtle where Shredder tries to become immortal and Splinter and Mike de-mutate.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The last couple of arcs were the Cyber Turtles in the future dealing with Verminator X, the Mooneyes saga where Ninjara and Raphael break-up, a couple of Turtle toddler stories, and then Year of the Turtle where Shredder tries to become immortal and Splinter and Mike de-mutate.
I found it slightly ironic that Dean Clarrain was kicked off the Archie series for injecting a mature tone when what immediately followed with Year of the Turtle certainly felt like a more mature tone. Surprisingly I actually did enjoy Year of the Turtle, despite the very 90's superheroey feel to it.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
LeoNerdo
Stone Warrior

I own almost all of it and have read it all except for a few of the side mini-series'. When it was good, it was very good. It really hit it's stride, and that lasted for a good number of issues.
LeoNerdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
I found it slightly ironic that Dean Clarrain was kicked off the Archie series for injecting a mature tone when what immediately followed with Year of the Turtle certainly felt like a more mature tone. Surprisingly I actually did enjoy Year of the Turtle, despite the very 90's superheroey feel to it.
Speaking of that, has Murphy officially given up on the "Forever War?"

I remember hearing something was supposed to be done with it after the Nick buy-out...even if it was only fan-made.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

I have never read any of this...after finding out about it I was a little afraid the stories may be better suited for a younger audience...but from what I have read all over this forum here it might be worth checking them out(maybe even very much so)...anyone knows if the future tense book can be read without any knowledge fo the rest of the series?....I understand it collects later issues....
a thing comes to my mind now, I have read teenage mutant hero turtles comics of course when the ot was around and still have three issues of that one at home...any chance that these were part of the archie series in original form?....
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
pannoni1
Foot Elite

I own a run of #1-#50 and have read a few of that batch, and definitely read the mini-series online just to compare to the pilot of the Fred Wolf version. I've also read adoptions of the second and third movies (at least with that, you can understand the story of movie III a bit better, even if it's a watered down Mirage Vol. 1 #42).

But I should spend a weekend re-reading those issues. Since those later issues are more difficult to find, I'll have to keep being content to the earlier issues until I can find them (feel free to post issues #51-#72 on eBay or on the Buying/Selling/Trading forum if anybody has them).

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Tmnt

Not every TMNT version needs the TMNT kicking the butt of Shredder, Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady in almost every episode.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #12
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

How many others of you learned to read with this amazing series? Too bad it never got completed with Forever War. Armaggon was the break out character of the series that never got picked up with exception of the SNES fighter game.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #13
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist

so as I mentioned earlier here I never got the chance to read the archie series, but after your oppinions and friendly advice for me I kept an eye open for them every once and a while...and here I found a superb video showcasing all the covers of the series, so if you like me have never read or gotten it in your hands just check out htis video here...I think the covers look fantastic and alone from them I really get the urge to find out more, to get them and read them...and then reread them...
so here ya go...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOIjp...eature=related
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #14
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelangelo View Post
I think the covers look fantastic and alone from them I really get the urge to find out more, to get them and read them...and then reread them...
Best of all is that the cover artist for much of TMNT Adventures was the same as the interior artist (Chris Allan). So it won't be a case where the cover looks great and the interior art looks terrible; the art inside the book is as superb as the covers.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #15
cryan
Stone Warrior

I remember a few issues where one of the turtles as covered in some black stuff.Like he dipped himself in ink.
cryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #16
Powder
So tired of this place

It's a jumpsuit, not ink. Black garb taken from the turtles' stint at Intergalactic Wrestling...

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Best of all is that the cover artist for much of TMNT Adventures was the same as the interior artist (Chris Allan). So it won't be a case where the cover looks great and the interior art looks terrible; the art inside the book is as superb as the covers.
Peter Laird and Jim Lawson did a number of covers too.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:07 PM   #18
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I sometimes wish they made a cartoon adaption of TMNT Adventures, it was really good. We got some of the best villains in TMNT history out of this series, such as Null, Armaggon, Malinga, Verminator-X and a few others. As well as some of the best storylines.

I recently re-visited the series to see if the stories still hold up, and aside from the eco-preaching and some one-off bad issues, this series is actually still a fun read.
Elements from TMNT Adventures showing up in a cartoon would be neat, but I'd settle for some graphic novel collections of the series. I've managed to collect a lot of the issues over time, but some TPBs would fill in the gaps in the collection.

One of my favorite aspects of TMNT is April learning martial arts. I also find it kind of amusing that toward the end of the series she looked a lot like Ariel from The Little Mermaid.

The constant environmentalism does seem very 90's, but I can overlook it because I know that's how I learned about the environment. If kids are going to rot their brains with comics and cartoons, might as well throw a few educational things in there, because if the Turtles care about it, then it becomes cool.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
archie comics