The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you drink or smoke? (click all that apply)
I smoke cigarettes 4 11.11%
I smoke cigars 2 5.56%
I smoke weed 9 25.00%
I drink beer 23 63.89%
I drink liquor 19 52.78%
I drink wine 16 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #41
ToTheNines
[sic]

I've played Turtles in Time at a party, stoned outta my gourd. We beat it on hard mode. My shouting and intensity drew quite a crowd lol.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:52 PM   #42
Prowler
Emperor

Oh man don't even get me started on drunk stories.

Btw, who else has posted drunk here before? I've done it a few times, I must say.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #43
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
THIS is what I'm talking about. Nerds can party too, people.
I'll take that as a compliment. We used to stay up all night running games and then work the next morning. And there was usually alcohol involved. But that was the first time I had tried to run a session completely sh*tfaced. I couldn't even think of a plot for the adventure lol!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:59 PM   #44
Prowler
Emperor

If only humans came with a button/switch that instantly put them in a buzzed state. I think everyone would be happier and would befriend others more easily.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:57 PM   #45
Powder
So tired of this place

There's very little I haven't gotten my toes wet in, but my vices are more food & media related these days. I smoked cigarettes for around 9 years (bout a half pack a day) & quit cold turkey 3 years ago. No problemo. Used to drink a lot in my mid-teens but since then I only drink once or twice a year at the most.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:29 PM   #46
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I was kind of scared out of smoking. Back in like 3rd or 4th grade, for health class, they showed us healthy lung and a smoker's lung. The thought of having burnt insides was a scary thought at the time. I have tried smoking (16), but it was to get a friend off my back. Didn't get the fascination with it.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:08 PM   #47
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

I'm not certain if smoking a few hookahs counts as smoking, but it's about the closest I've gotten to smoking.

Gramps living with one lung and heart trouble until he died, and my Dad suffered his first heart attack from stress & smoking, kept me from becoming like them.

I love me a good cold beer though, and wine can also be fine.

I'd learned that two margaritas, two Samuel Adams, and a couple glasses of water can push me to a near level of becoming a toilet hugging drunk. And found that on my 35th birthday dinner out at a steakhouse.

That was the first time that I truly got that smashed.

Limits are a good thing - actually knowing your limit is a real good thing.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:15 PM   #48
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yeah, hookahs definitely count as smoking. Just a big 'ol tube of liquid tobacco and nicotine.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:26 PM   #49
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post

I'm more surprised by the amount of prudes here in general. I feel for everyone with a tragic reason for being turned off by, but the rest of y'all need to cut loose.
So I'm considered a prude because I don't want respiratory problems, prefer fresh-smelling breath and clothes, and to have my wits about me? F*ck that sh*t.

I honestly can't believe that anyone who overindulges in alcohol would think they're better than those who don't. I personally feel sorry for THEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
*shrug* People have different ideas of what cutting loose is, or simply no interest in doing so.

I prefer remaining a relaxed state of a clear, sound mind... No interest in purposely making my mind anything but normal. Pisses me off enough just being dizzy from a cold virus, I don't want anything else making my head weird. (edit: I even despise 'laughing gas' at the dentist because of it and won't use it.)

Between this and the other thread though, I'm kind of surprised reading other comments about losses of grandparents that were likewise contributed to smoking and drinking. Though I guess if they were the same or close enough generations, I guess it was the times.

Definitely some alcohol addiction on my father's side and he himself had to watch it. (Fortunately his "on call" job pretty much forced him to have to behave.) Just not really anything I have any interest in repeating.

Smoking just seems gross, and alcohol... though I don't criticize or condemn moderate drinking, it's just a dumb beverage to me and I don't get the lame fascination and obsession some have with it. Like the daughter of my mom's friend who was at one time so proud of herself for how much alcohol she thought she could handle. Um... okay... "go you," I guess? If that's what you're proud of in life, it's time to reevaluate things.

What little I will drink now and then, I drink it because I like it flavor-wise, not for what it could do to me if I drank more of it.
You might have just won this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
If only humans came with a button/switch that instantly put them in a buzzed state. I think everyone would be happier and would befriend others more easily.
Somehow, I feel zero need for that whatsoever, and I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I was kind of scared out of smoking.
That's not necessarily a bad thing.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:56 PM   #50
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Eh... maybe depends on the level.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:09 AM   #51
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Copy and pasted from other topic.

I don't smoke or drink. I'm not super against alcohol. I understand in moderation it's fine but I personally don't see the thrill of getting "buzzed" or "relaxed".

I've only had sips of a couple different drinks out curiosity and I did not like them. Beer tasted ok but it's nothing I ever desire to have as a beverage.

Smoking however is just stupid. I really hate all the Truth commercials and such. They complain that they market towards teens and certain groups but that's totally besides the point.

Cancer. That's the only thing anyone needs to know about smoking. If you still do it and just don't care about the risk well that's on you.

I have an Aunt who lives out of state and she smokes. I thought she had quit a long time ago but she we had a get together the year before and she still smokes. She went outside but I do wish she would quit.

Don't care to ever try weed even it is technically safe. I want my mind clear.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:49 AM   #52
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I've seen a lot talk about "If I even smell a whiff of far-off cigarette smoke, I'll almost certainly have an asthma attack" and not just here, or from you guys. But in my 35 years, I've never seen anyone ever walk by someone else smoking and burst into an asthma attack. Not once. And I've never met anyone who has actually seen anyone have such happen. I've seen plenty of people say that that's what happens to them, though.

Pretty much seems like it's mostly folks who just plain don't like the smell and want to continue to put smokers further and further into a sin box. Do you really, truly care about the assclown skater's cancer risk who blows by you and gives you a big whiff of smoke? Does that guy's longevity really tug at your heartstrings? Get out of here. No. It doesn't. Don't pretend you care. You just want to not be smelling his nasty cigarette smoke smell and are grasping at reasons why it should be compartmentalized, by any legal means far, far away from you. Because you can, hopefully. And there's been so much "progress" in that way, what's one more push? If something pops up on your voters ballot about "Should we ban 4th hand smoke in truck stops?" you will vote "yes" just because you don't like cigarette smoke and that's the way it'll be.

To be fair, smokers as a "group" are pretty much pansies. Every time there's a big ruckus, they just cede the line. "You need to smoke in the smoking section." "OK, sure!" "Ehh... you can't smoke at all in here now. Nope, not even the bar." "OK, of course!" "Ehh... you need to smoke 20 feet from this entrance." "OK, I completely understand!" "Ehh... actually, you just need to be walking somewhere if you're going to be smoking... full body motion." "Yes, that makes complete sense, yes!" "You know what? You can't smoke in your place at all now." "I can't believe I was doing that anyway, that's perfectly fine!" "Ehhh... pedestrians are complaining, no more smoking in your own vehicle when you're driving." "Consider it done!"

All give, give, give.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-08-2017 at 01:22 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:11 AM   #53
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

As a kid I used to be a lot more tolerant of the cigarette smell, my dad smoked, the majority of adults on my mother's side of the family smoked. But now a lot less family members smoke, and the smell is really bothersome. At times when I stand in the cash register at work I'll get a whiff of the tobacco and it's really rank.

My kid brother have started smoking, and he's a minor so it's really frustrating that stores in the area he lives in don't properly ID check, that can cost a store the license to sell tobacco. But he and my dad lives in a hick place so I shouldn't be too surprised. My dad doesn't do anything about it either. And he smokes rolling tobacco like a 60 year old trucker, which is even more nasty then cigarettes.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:03 AM   #54
Katie
Just...way too serious.

I remember when smoking was everywhere and pretty unregulated. The first airplane ride I remember was from Alabama to California to see my grandparents an the flight attendants sold cigarettes to the passengers. It was do smoky in the plane that you couldn't see the front.

But everyone smoked. Now, most people don't. I prefer things the way the are now. I would not want to go back to a time when there was NO escape from cigarette smoke when out in public. Malls, restaurants, airplanes, workplaces. There was no escape, no segregated smoking areas, no barriers. Nothing.

The whole of my time smelled like an ashtray. It was disgusting.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:20 AM   #55
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

I watched the movie Twins recently and it seemed so ridiculous that their girlfriends were smoking while grocery shopping. But that's how it was in the '80s and before. I remember people smoking everywhere in malls when I was a kid. It was just an accepted thing in public back then, and yeah it didn't bother me as much in those times because I was around it pretty much constantly.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:00 AM   #56
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I don't smoke and drink and never will. I have a lot of personal problems with drinking because my dad was an alcoholic and suffered a massive stroke because of his excessive drinking. My brother is also an alcoholic and got in trouble three times for DUI and that didn't even stop him because he still did it. He was supposed to come over for Thanksgiving and didn't come because he was bombed out of his mind. So, I have a big problem with people who drink excessively because of all of this.

If that makes me a prude, so be it. I'd like to live a long healthy life and not shorten it by doing stupid things thank you very much.

For all of you excessive drinkers out there, enjoy having a stroke! You'll change your tune once you get to a point where you can't even take care of yourself and have to have others do it for you.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:08 AM   #57
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
I don't smoke and drink and never will. I have a lot of personal problems with drinking because my dad was an alcoholic and suffered a massive stroke because of his excessive drinking. My brother is also an alcoholic and got in trouble three times for DUI and that didn't even stop him because he still did it. He was supposed to come over for Thanksgiving and didn't come because he was bombed out of his mind. So, I have a big problem with people who drink excessively because of all of this.

If that makes me a prude, so be it. I'd like to live a long healthy life and not shorten it by doing stupid things thank you very much.

For all of you excessive drinkers out there, enjoy having a stroke! You'll change your tune once you get to a point where you can't even take care of yourself and have to have others do it for you.
My best friend drinks occasionally but never excessively as alcoholism runs in his family and worries about getting addicted and doesn't want to. I wouldn't call you a prude, just cautious, like my friend.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:34 AM   #58
mrmaczaps
Banned

I guess I'm a prude and kind of snobby. I won't hang out with anyone who smokes (can't breathe around the stench, even if not actively smoking newr me) and I win't hang out with intoxicated people (friggen stupid @$$es). I got over that whole drunken foolishiness after a few months being friends with people who could ONLY have a good time while drunk & high. I don't see the point in being completely out of control. And then watching those same friends piss in a beer bottle and hand it to their drunk friend and actually let the guy start drinking it. Or seeing them dump a whole little garlic sauce (Papa Johns pizza) on a slice of pizza and give it to another friend who was mildly allergic to garlic... Or having the cops called on us for playing cards while all the drunkards were yelling constantly... doubly so when the underage idiots showed up... tripply so when the idiot with the broad sword showed up and wound up sticking it through a recently vacated chair, just prior to the cops knocking on the door due to excessive noise complaints...

There are a few family members that were alcoholics... all of them plus a few more were also smokers and all are either dead and/or have severe health issues. My grandfather died 20 years ago this December due to complications from all his drinking and smoking added to his other issues from Korea. His wife, who never smoked, died from cancer the doctors linked to her living with him all those years breathing the 2nd hand smoke.

I have drank before, but its been a long, long time. Vodka and Cherry Coke was all I ever really drank and it was typically just a shot of vodka in a glass of coke. Never more than one. I don't think I have ever had enough to be drunk, nor would I want to. I have never bought any booze or smokes, for me or anuone else.

I don't let people who smoke into my vehicle. Or get in after a smoke. Even pissed off a manager at work once because of it. She sent me and another coworker to an event thinking/expecting we would carpool, but the coworker smoked. She couldn't go more than an hour without a smoke. I rarely will get into someone elses vehicle if someone with them is a smoker.

Plus, how the heck do people afford to do either???
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:10 AM   #59
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I don't drink or smoke or take recreational drugs because He-Man told me not to. I drink too much coffee though; everyone has their vices.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:55 AM   #60
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
But that's how it was in the '80s and before.
When I was in elementary school I was able to bike to the store and pick my mom up a pack of smokes.
Heh, couldn't do that today at that age.

And I gotta say, wow the sanctimony of people who choose not to do a thing is really pathetic.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#citationneeded, takeittopm