The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 01-22-2016, 12:20 PM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The DC Rebirth Era Discussion Thread

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/...a-filmtv-bent/

And yeah, all of this is to create more synergy with the movie branding it seems.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 07-21-2016 at 06:20 AM.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #2
Amaranthus
Banned

Why are comic books so complicated?
Amaranthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I'll take 70 years of canon over the continuous rebooting and relaunching, and especially the whole "nothing is canon anymore, let's make a million nr1's".
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:34 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Oh for fvck's sake...
Old 01-22-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I thought it was a joke and expected to see April 1st on the original post. I read DC was going to look into what series it could double up and go bi-weekly on. The mindset was the best selling titles would sell twice as much. I remember the two titles I read being among the mentioned. New number ones without a continuity reboot?
Old 01-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #6
The Deadman
Foot Elite

This is why I never got invested in comic books.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #7
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

So in other words, DC is pulling a Marvel? Oh joy...

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #8
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

All-New all different.

Again...
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #9
ZariusTwo
Overlord

And the first major change as a result of this relaunch is Scott Synder is stepping down from the main Batman title, but will remain attached to the character as he is turning back to Detective Comics

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/...ective-comics/

And this was just tweeted by Didio and Jim Lee

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/...-just-tweeted/

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 01-22-2016 at 02:45 PM.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #10
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

are you kidding me

Seriously, if the New 52 didn't really pan out in the long run, can we just go back to Pre-Flashpoint already? Keep what works and restore a better universe with some decent history and depth? That seems like a better option than rebooting every 5 years.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:21 PM   #11
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
So in other words, DC is pulling a Marvel? Oh joy...
DC does this stuff way more often

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

People don't get it, it didn't used to be like this. DC was great about consistency for years, they had ONE major reboot in 75 years, back in '86. Sometimes individual characters would have backstories "tidied up" or old stuff would be swept under the rug but all this recent retcon/reboot sh*t is 100% Dan DiDio and his cronies, who make every editorial decision based on Sales Panic. That guy is like the single worst thing to EVER happen to DC as an entity.

Anyone trying to get into reading DC comics would have no problem doing so if they ignored most everything before "Crisis on Infinite Earths", used that as a starting point, and just followed the company's line from 1986 through 2010. Everything between that is really not at all complicated, although a lot of stuff in the late-90s simply wasn't very good but it was still consistent and recognizable. None of the stuff they did in between like Zero Hour or Infinite Crisis really had a huge effect on any continuity, mostly just minor tweaks to things readers already knew but nothing world-breaking. And most people don't need to bother with anything pre-1986, anyway, the Silver/Bronze Age was pretty unrelentingly silly and all the best stuff is easily found in TPBs, and the rest is junk best left ignored anyway.

Point is, DC really DID have a great universe, and a great mythology, that really anyone should get into and enjoy, BUT that Universe starts at Crisis and dissolves at the end of Flashpoint. But you really can't go wrong with the 25-year run in between. They've done nothing at ALL since 2010 that I've enjoyed, but I still highly encourage anyone to check out the "real" DCU from 1986-2010. For one thing, all the cartoons everyone jerks off to borrowed 99% of their stories from the books of that era, so if nothing else it's worth it to see where those stories first came from.

The constant shift towards "It's not selling? REBOOT!" since about 2005 is all DiDio. The editors and not the writers have been steering DC the wrong way for a decade, because ALL they care about is beating Marvel in sales which means "Events, Reboots, and Mega-Deaths of Major Characters" because that's supposedly what pushes sales. DC's sales have NEVER actually supported that theory, but it's the one DiDio subscribes to and what every new direction is based on.

Comics would be more fun if they weren't now a business aimed at only at selling action figures. That's really all they are anymore. It's 100% profit-driven and not story-driven. Both companies are guilty of it, but Marvel was actually run (into the ground) by a toy company for a years and years, to the point people got used to it, and plus the writing hadn't been that company's focus in decades, anyway, they've always been more a "Superstar Artists on Big Event Books" comic company than a story-driven one. DC's line was always more story-driven, and once it became all about the Big Events that was the end. It took them so far away from what they were actually about as a company and the way they did super-hero books. Now they're literally no different from Marvel, and not in any good way.

So yeah, f*ck modern DC. If they're doing anything other than, "Just kidding about Flashpoint and the New 52, we're just pretending everything since 2009 never happened!", it's not worth the effort.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:23 AM   #13
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
People don't get it, it didn't used to be like this. DC was great about consistency for years, they had ONE major reboot in 75 years, back in '86. Sometimes individual characters would have backstories "tidied up" or old stuff would be swept under the rug but all this recent retcon/reboot sh*t is 100% Dan DiDio and his cronies, who make every editorial decision based on Sales Panic. That guy is like the single worst thing to EVER happen to DC as an entity.

Anyone trying to get into reading DC comics would have no problem doing so if they ignored most everything before "Crisis on Infinite Earths", used that as a starting point, and just followed the company's line from 1986 through 2010. Everything between that is really not at all complicated, although a lot of stuff in the late-90s simply wasn't very good but it was still consistent and recognizable. None of the stuff they did in between like Zero Hour or Infinite Crisis really had a huge effect on any continuity, mostly just minor tweaks to things readers already knew but nothing world-breaking. And most people don't need to bother with anything pre-1986, anyway, the Silver/Bronze Age was pretty unrelentingly silly and all the best stuff is easily found in TPBs, and the rest is junk best left ignored anyway.

Point is, DC really DID have a great universe, and a great mythology, that really anyone should get into and enjoy, BUT that Universe starts at Crisis and dissolves at the end of Flashpoint. But you really can't go wrong with the 25-year run in between. They've done nothing at ALL since 2010 that I've enjoyed, but I still highly encourage anyone to check out the "real" DCU from 1986-2010. For one thing, all the cartoons everyone jerks off to borrowed 99% of their stories from the books of that era, so if nothing else it's worth it to see where those stories first came from.

The constant shift towards "It's not selling? REBOOT!" since about 2005 is all DiDio. The editors and not the writers have been steering DC the wrong way for a decade, because ALL they care about is beating Marvel in sales which means "Events, Reboots, and Mega-Deaths of Major Characters" because that's supposedly what pushes sales. DC's sales have NEVER actually supported that theory, but it's the one DiDio subscribes to and what every new direction is based on.

Comics would be more fun if they weren't now a business aimed at only at selling action figures. That's really all they are anymore. It's 100% profit-driven and not story-driven. Both companies are guilty of it, but Marvel was actually run (into the ground) by a toy company for a years and years, to the point people got used to it, and plus the writing hadn't been that company's focus in decades, anyway, they've always been more a "Superstar Artists on Big Event Books" comic company than a story-driven one. DC's line was always more story-driven, and once it became all about the Big Events that was the end. It took them so far away from what they were actually about as a company and the way they did super-hero books. Now they're literally no different from Marvel, and not in any good way.

So yeah, f*ck modern DC. If they're doing anything other than, "Just kidding about Flashpoint and the New 52, we're just pretending everything since 2009 never happened!", it's not worth the effort.
Yeah I really liked DC stuff from 86-2010
Mainly Batman and Green Lantern (I miss Raynar though )
But yeah after the New 52 I haven't gotten into it because everything I cared about was either condensed or didn't happen. I kinda feel after Blackest Night DC was like "Ok we brought a lot of main villains back and established more lanter corps. What should we do now. RETCON"
Terrible.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:46 PM   #14
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
DC does this stuff way more often
Not to the extant Marvel does.

Let's take a look over some of the "creative" decisions that have been made over Marvel thanks to the films. Nick Fury being replaced by Nick Fury Jr. who just happens to look like Samuel Jackson, Scarlett Witch and Quicksiliver no longer mutants, the sudden focus on the Inhumans, etc. See where I'm going with this?

I can't recall the last DC character whose backstory and characterization was heavily modified to match up with either their cinematic or television counterpart.

Last edited by TurtleTitan97; 01-23-2016 at 05:59 PM.
TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:01 PM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

Well, when Superman Returns (and more specifically, the Richard Donner Cut of Superman II) were released, the comics started tweaking everything Krypton-related in the mythology so that it resembled Donner's "Giant Ice Chandelier" version, and Superman briefly had an S-shield belt buckle like in "Returns". But it didn't really take, partly because the Superman comics and movies have never had anything in common anyways. It was a superficial change that went away very quickly.

And they also made Batman's costume black after the movie did it, but that took a couple years, and, again, wasn't permanent.

Huh. Yeah, DC really hasn't ever made a huge deal about the comics resembling the movies. They try it sometimes for like two months and then just stop. Comic readers, historically, don't respond to it, usually because they specifically prefer the comics over the other media and resent things from the movies/TV shows being awkwardly forced in.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 01-23-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #16
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

I was hoping this thread meat that they were going back to pre-flashpoint with the old number system. I'm bummed I can't own a copy of Action Comics #1000.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 04:37 PM   #17
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Crap. Well, my local comic shop owner who reads Nightwing as well suggested to skip it even if it finishes the story. We know Dick will help Jon overcome Luthor and understand that he cannot prevent all casualties.

Also, that gay kiss was unnecessary and it felt like it was there just to irritate us. Didn't know who any of the Son of Superman characters were, but I don't care. I appreciate the meta casual clothes showing up again. It is also notable that Barbara is referring to Haley as 'their' dog's instead of Dick's dog. The stuff contained to Nightwing itself was good,but I did not appreciate the stuff leaking in.
Old 10-10-2022, 03:51 PM   #18
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

https://www.cbr.com/great-darkness-a...ark-crisis-dc/
So this latest crisis leads to yet another one? The sentenant darkness is an ally of the heroes of Earth-0 in the next year? Enough already! Death Metal seemed conclusive yet just another in an endless string of Crisises. At least Superman Jr.'s title is canceled.
Old 11-18-2022, 07:07 AM   #19
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Nightwing#98 trolls Dick and Starfire fans this week.
That was great. I wish an actual wedding would take place betweenDick and Barbara.The 3rd Wednesday of every month has World's Finest, Nightwing, and Flash. I love each of them. World's Finest is my favorite though.

As for Boy Thunder being an already established character, what about Wildfire of the Legion of Superheroes?

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/Jb...6puSPDZPhA.jpg

Also, the next issue has my favorite musician getting a guest spot.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:17 PM   #20
IMJ
Emperor

I ordered the first issue. It was solid, but it felt like that neo-cliche Batman who uses someone else to manipulate a victory (i.e. the Metal Men), which used to be a marker of a singularly good Batman story but has now become a cliche.

I probably would've kept ordering it, but nowadays if I even sense something crummy in a title I just drop it. It's probably a solid book, but with comics priced as boutique magazines nowadays I have little reader-tolerance.

Instead I've been buying a lot of Silver Age Green Lantern stuff lately.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batman, bendis, dc comics, superman, wonder woman