The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 11-02-2018, 02:51 PM   #141
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

How the **** does 2020 mean two expansion passes? 5 characters after the piranha plant is welll into 2020.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #142
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
I never had any problem with any controller with the Smash games. It's not that hard to adapt.
Me too. I will be getting the Gamecube controller, but I'm still very excitedly looking forward to the Joycon.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:41 PM   #143
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
I never had any problem with any controller with the Smash games. It's not that hard to adapt.
Motion controls for fighting games never worked for me. Ended up getting a classic controller for Yugioh 5Ds and Dragon Knight.

Think only one it worked for was Okami.

Last edited by Allio; 11-02-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:26 PM   #144
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
So essentially, nothing they could have done short of the impossible would have sufficed.

Seems pretty entitled.
The grinch leak would've sufficed
Just changing the reveal trailers from K.Rool to the end and Incineroar would've caused less salt as we would've gone out on a bang. You can read my posts in this thread, I was already happy with the roster before even the last few reveals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Agreed, the only real Nintendo all-stars still missing is Dixie Kong, and if you count Captain Toad separate from the Toads with Peach/Daisy. Besides that every other major Nintendo rep is in the game.

Most other characters people want are either third parties, stuff like Banjo-kazooie owned by Microsoft, and one-off randos like Geno or characters from dead franchises. While it would be nice to have these characters too, they aren't essential.

There really aren't any other major Nintendo reps left, especially now that ARMS also got the assist trophy treatment, and Sakurai passed on the other Xenoblade protagonists.
Dixie is not more relevant than the other characters you mention, she's a thing of the past just like many. Also you want Skull Kid who was only the antagonist in one game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
How the **** does 2020 mean two expansion passes? 5 characters after the piranha plant is welll into 2020.
It's speculation, but Nintendo did mention that they wanted more DLC for their big games at the last earnings meeting, I can see it happening. For me personally I'd prefer less DLC since because I don't want to pay 5 bucks for a character, I never did get the Wii U Smash DLC for those reasons, I didn't play the game enough to justify it.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:12 PM   #145
Allio
Foot Elite

Remember spirits can possibly be playable characters. We have already seen spirits of Wii fit trainer
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:16 PM   #146
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Dixie is not more relevant than the other characters you mention, she's a thing of the past just like many. Also you want Skull Kid who was only the antagonist in one game..
Dixie is one of the biggest Nintendo characters missing if you don't count playable Toad by himself, she's playable in more games of the SNES trilogy than Donkey Kong himself is, and just returned in Tropical Freeze. She's a core part of the Donkey Kong franchise. How is she a thing of the past when she's playable in the last core DK game released?

There's no other Nintendo character outside of Toad himself who is a more important Nintendo character at this point not on the roster. People also wanted another Zelda rep due to no real newcomer since Melee, but even that isn't essential since you have the core cast. The DK franchise was always neglected for years prior to K. Rool.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:04 PM   #147
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
It's speculation, but Nintendo did mention that they wanted more DLC for their big games at the last earnings meeting, I can see it happening. For me personally I'd prefer less DLC since because I don't want to pay 5 bucks for a character, I never did get the Wii U Smash DLC for those reasons, I didn't play the game enough to justify it.
OK? Still doesn't answer the question.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:51 PM   #148
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

I haven't made a lot of comments since starting college. Hell, even when starting this thread, I haven't made many posts on it. Nonetheless, wanted to give my own two cents on the characters and the new Spirits mode. I'll keep my thoughts very brief for now:

Inkling- A very inventive playstyle, but not heavily into them as I haven't played Splatoon as of this post. Maybe some day I will, but I am curious regardless.

Ridley- "Too big," my foot. About damn time Metroid is getting more representation. Ridley's trailer was awesome and he's definitely looking to be the second of the newcomers I'm using for his style. He's only second, however, to...

Simon Belmont- Simon, next to Mega Man, was my most wanted character. His playstyle looks really good and for both homages and its soundtrack, Dracula's Castle is gearing up to be a favorite stage of mine. I just wish Battle of the Holy from Castlevania: The Adventure was one of the thirty-four selectable tracks. Can't complain on too much though, I'm just happy Castlevania's back.

King K. Rool- Although I have stronger ties to Ridley and Simon due to growing up with Metroid and Castlevania, K. Rool has my favorite of the reveal trailers. Nothing too dramatic or melancholy, just straight up fun, especially with Dedede trolling everyone. Going to give him a try for fun mostly. Welcome back, K. Rool.

Isabelle- Honestly, not withstanding one of the Echo Fighters, Isabelle is honestly my least favorite character introduced. She's not bad by any means, but just doesn't seem interesting enough compared to the previous characters revealed. Congrats to more Animal Crossing representation, but otherwise, I'm likely just sticking with Villager.

Incineroar- I may like Decuideye a little more, but Incineroar looks freaking incredible. Max Malicious Moonsault might very well be a contender for my favorite Final Smash now in the series. The moveset looks really good as well. The trailer for it I got a smile out of as well. Honestly, Incineroar looks great.

Daisy/Richter/Chrom/Dark Samus/Ken- I don't really have much to say on the Echo Fighters other than them being serviceable. The only one I really don't like of these five is Daisy only because she doesn't feel too unique compared to Peach, who Daisy is based on. The others I like in some way shape or form, with my personal favorite being a toss up between Chrom and Ken.

I'm not going to talk about Piranha Plant until it's out. I will say it fits in with Sakurai putting in oddball characters we least expect (G&W, R.O.B., Wii Fit). Otherwise, I'm honestly satisfied with the roster regardless of the DLC being added in. I do find it dumb, however, to advertise the entire DLC in a $25 bundle together if one's confident in it. Might be a good marketing ploy, but I'll just wait regardless.

Spoiler:
The new Adventure Mode really hit me. "Everyone is Here" just got put to shame here. I'm definitely ready to buy a Switch solely for the hype now, and goddamn, that theme is so good.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:27 PM   #149
CyberCubed
Overlord

A lot of new info has been out and the game actually has a lot of cut content from previous Smash games. The following modes are gone this time around:

- Event Matches
- Master/Crazy Orders
- Break the Targets
- Home Run Contest
- Stage Builder
- Custom Moves
- Smash Tour
- Smash Run
- Coin Smash
- Masterpieces
- "Real" All-star, it's now just in multi-man melee where everyone comes at once, so it's All-Star is gone (given we have 72 characters now that's a good thing)
- Multi-man Melee now only has 100 Smash and Cruel Smash, the 3-15 minute ones are gone
- Trophies/Trophy Rush/Hoard
- Snake's Codecs and Palutena Guidances are gone, and as far as we know now there's nothing that replaced them

Only returning modes are Classic, Training, Multi-man Melee (but again only 100/Cruel/simplified All-star), and of course the traditional Vs. modes and online. Of course special and 8 player Smash return, tourney, and all the stuff in Vs. is still there.

Spirits Mode/World of Light is basically the single player content this time, and as said it's also just fights, no levels like Subspace Emmissary and no random enemies, you just go directly to Smash fights and a few bosses. It's also been confirmed there's not many cutscenes, just one at the beginning, a few introducing bosses and probably the ending, so don't expect a huge cinematic story mode like Brawl's was.

Overall I don't care about the cut content, besides finding it odd that Stage Builder and Home Run Contest are gone, but oh well.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:36 PM   #150
sdp
Megan Fox = April

A shame, some of those modes were fun and a single player is what people have wanted since Melee teased us, Subspace didn't get it right but we wanted them to improve upon it instead of scrapping it all together. If this is Sakurai's last Smash I think it's more likely. Trimming the character roster should help, there are dozens of characters they can trim and people wouldn't care and would help make the game more manageable.

I don't think that this will be Sakurai's last Smash though which is both good and bad. The best part about Sakurai is he always gives much deserved loved to Kirby in the game and his level of details but like Miyamoto he has a annoyances that he will absolutely not let go off and a vision that despite everyone wanting stuff in the game, they just don't won't do it.

Can you buy the DLC now if I'm getting the physical game? I have gold coins expiring this month and I might as well use them to help lower the cost of the DLC.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:36 AM   #151
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah, the DLC is $24.99 for 5 unknown characters and stages. Problem is I wouldn't buy the DLC until we know which fighters are going to be, knowing Sakurai they'll all be random anime JRPG characters or 5 Fire Emblem characters.

The fact that there's 7 Fire Emblem characters on the roster and 3 of them are Marth clones makes me sick. Sakurai really needs to tone down his bias toward the Fire Emblem series and give other franchises a chance. We only had two DK characters till now but we can have 7 Fire Emblem characters who all look almost exactly the same?

There's a reason "Sakurai bias" is commonly said in Smash circles, he puts the characters he wants in Smash and ignores a lot of fan requests. It took us over 10+ years since Brawl to convince him to finally make Ridley playable, a character we should have gotten back in 2008.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:18 PM   #152
raph27
Mad Scientist

Quote:
he puts the characters he wants in Smash and ignores a lot of fan requests.
There are 74 fighters in this game, still not enough? You wanna go on for another ten pages about Dixie Kong just like you did for Smash 4?

Not everyone's favorites will make it in, but I feel the team has done a pretty good job filling out the roster. Especially with this game, it seems like they were really catering to the fans, not only with much-wanted veterans like Snake and Ice Climbers but also Simon, Ridley, and K. Rool, the last one probably not even been considered if it wasn't for vocal fans.

Of course more Fire Emblem characters are in the recent games, because Fire Emblem has become a lot more popular ever since Awakening. I can't believe people are still whining about "bias". Sorry that Super Mario RPG is like 25 years old and people know Chrom a lot more than Geno.

As for the DLC, I have no idea who they'll pick. My two guesses were Chibi-Robo and someone from ARMS, but those both got shot out through Mii costumes. Banjo and is a possibility. Personally I'd love to see Phoenix Wright but I know that's a long shot.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #153
sdp
Megan Fox = April

You heard us right no Geno no dixie, game is trash. I'm selling my Switch tomorrow and I know others are as well, Sakurai is literally ruining my life.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:56 PM   #154
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by raph27 View Post
There are 74 fighters in this game, still not enough? You wanna go on for another ten pages about Dixie Kong just like you did for Smash 4?

Not everyone's favorites will make it in, but I feel the team has done a pretty good job filling out the roster. Especially with this game, it seems like they were really catering to the fans, not only with much-wanted veterans like Snake and Ice Climbers but also Simon, Ridley, and K. Rool, the last one probably not even been considered if it wasn't for vocal fans.

Of course more Fire Emblem characters are in the recent games, because Fire Emblem has become a lot more popular ever since Awakening. I can't believe people are still whining about "bias". Sorry that Super Mario RPG is like 25 years old and people know Chrom a lot more than Geno.

As for the DLC, I have no idea who they'll pick. My two guesses were Chibi-Robo and someone from ARMS, but those both got shot out through Mii costumes. Banjo and is a possibility. Personally I'd love to see Phoenix Wright but I know that's a long shot.
Very good points, they have created such a large roster. But I still am shock, annoyed, disappointed that they have that freaking plant as a fighter and not Shadow...... I was hoping Shadow would be an echo fighter and Tails would be the assist trophy. But I still bought the Smash edition switch this past friday.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:21 AM   #155
Ninjinister
無問題

I'm tryin'a think of who I'd even want to see as DLC. Nobody cares about my top 3 other than me, and one's kind of a Mario character (and all three are Mario-adjacent) so I'm not sure how likely any of them would be.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:45 AM   #156
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Quote:
You heard us right no Geno no dixie, game is trash. I'm selling my Switch tomorrow and I know others are as well, Sakurai is literally ruining my life.
That's a bold statement, what were you hoping for? I mean the roster isn't that bad, and the standard and quality that Sakurai implements, is very high. He did say don't expect many new comers.

I kinda of agree about the switch, the games just sub-par, we have 2 AAA titles and the rest are just ports.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)

Last edited by TheBlueTurtle1; 11-05-2018 at 01:35 AM.
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:52 AM   #157
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Yeah, the DLC is $24.99 for 5 unknown characters and stages. Problem is I wouldn't buy the DLC until we know which fighters are going to be, knowing Sakurai they'll all be random anime JRPG characters or 5 Fire Emblem characters.
I have unshakable blind faith in Daddy Sakurai, so I'll buy the fighters pass immediately.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:32 AM   #158
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:

The fact that there's 7 Fire Emblem characters on the roster and 3 of them are Marth clones makes me sick. Sakurai really needs to tone down his bias toward the Fire Emblem series and give other franchises a chance.
As others have stated, the oversea sales of Fire Emblem (especially after the release of Awakening) have contributed to its growing popularity. The amount of Marth clones is still a pain in the ass, however. Personally wish Lucina was an alternate skin of Marth still; least Chrom is a Roy Echo with elements of Ike.

I am curious on who we're going to get as DLC. I figure at the least we're getting Bandana Waddle Dee, another Xenoblade character possibly, and potentially Banjo-Kazooie depending on the rights. If they're agreed on, I figure Banjo might very well be the second-to-last or the final DLC character unveiled. Otherwise, I'm uncertain.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #159
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTurtle1 View Post
That's a bold statement, what were you hoping for? I mean the roster isn't that bad, and the standard and quality that Sakurai implements, is very high. He did say don't expect many new comers.

I kinda of agree about the switch, the games just sub-par, we have 2 AAA titles and the rest are just ports.
I think he was being sarcastic
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:28 PM   #160
CyberCubed
Overlord

Realistically at least 3 out of the 5 DLC will probably be third party characters. That's what it was in Smash U, and I think third party characters to maximize sales is the most likely.

I hope we get at least 2 big Nintendo 1st party reps. Between the Assist trophies de-confirming half the popular requests, there's not many options left. Dixie, maybe Captain Toad/Toadette are among the few 1st parties not with Assists. Geno would be third party IF he gets in, and even then Square probably wants one of their characters promoted over a one-off from 22 years ago.

Banjo-Kazooie is also a long shot, it basically depends if Microsoft and Nintendo really are ready to co-operate. If an N64 classic does get announced with Rare games, I'd say he's more likely...but as of right now, I dunno. I wouldn't get your hopes up.