The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-12-2020, 06:37 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

SyFy Commisions Chucky TV Series

Quote:
Syfy has given out a straight-to-series order for a show based on the iconic horror character Chucky, the central figure in the “Child’s Play” film franchise. The cabler made the announcement at the Television Critics Association winter press tour on Saturday.

The news comes just under a year after Syfy first announced they had acquired the television rights to the films. The series hails from Don Mancini, who wrote the film franchise on which the series is based. Mancini will also serve as showrunner and executive producer in addition to directing the first episode. David Kirschner and Nick Antosca will also executive produce, with Antosca producing via his Eat the Cat banner. Harley Peyton will also executive produce. Universal Content Productions (UCP) will serve as the studio. Antosca is currently under an overall deal at UCP.

“The character Don and David created has terrified audiences for over 30 years,” said Chris McCumber, president of Entertainment Networks USA & Syfy for NBCUniversal. “The longevity and legacy of Chucky speaks to the creative storytelling and the loyal fans the film series has collected over the years. We are excited to once again partner with Nick and UCP on this new Syfy series, and are incredibly proud to bring Chucky to television for the first time with the original creators.”

In the series, titled “Chucky,” after a vintage Chucky doll turns up at a suburban yard sale, an idyllic American town is thrown into chaos as a series of horrifying murders begin to expose the town’s hypocrisies and secrets. Meanwhile, the arrival of enemies and allies from Chucky’s past threatens to expose the truth behind the killings, as well as the demon doll’s untold origins as a seemingly ordinary child who somehow became this notorious monster.

Chucky debuted in 1988 in the film “Child’s Play,” directed and co-written by Tom Holland, produced by Kirschner and based on a story by Mancini. The franchise spawned six sequels, all of which Mancini wrote and Kirschner produced. Mancini also directed three of the films. A remake of “Child’s Play” from a completely new creative team was released in 2019.
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/chu...-2-1203463562/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:59 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Old news:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59554
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:46 PM   #3
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Well it’s the first real info and update for a long time.

Love Chucky so I’m definitely excited. Very happy it’s not a stream exclusive.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:58 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

We've known it was Syfy bound for the better part of a year. This would be the first time Syfy themselves announced it, though, I think. They reassured us he can still swear and all.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:23 PM   #5
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Well it’s the first real info and update for a long time.

Love Chucky so I’m definitely excited. Very happy it’s not a stream exclusive.
I'm really happy this series has continued. I really like the mythos and the return of old characters in Cult of Chucky was a nice surprise. The way Chuck's proliferated through his own magic is a cool twist.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:43 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
I'm really happy this series has continued. I really like the mythos and the return of old characters in Cult of Chucky was a nice surprise. The way Chuck's proliferated through his own magic is a cool twist.
I wasn't crazy about the multiple Chuckies thing in that movie, but I otherwise really loved everything else about it. Finally, Andy gets to settle the score (or so he thinks). I hope the TV show continues things with Andy and the girl from Child's Play 2, and Jennifer Tilley.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:00 AM   #7
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I wasn't crazy about the multiple Chuckies thing in that movie, but I otherwise really loved everything else about it. Finally, Andy gets to settle the score (or so he thinks). I hope the TV show continues things with Andy and the girl from Child's Play 2, and Jennifer Tilley.
The fact that Andy not only got to settle the score BUT that he was waiting for it was awesome. That's what made the whole multiple Chucky thing appeal to me. I'm hoping we get this hardened, kick-ass dude go after Chucky (Chuckies?).

Plus, it was nice to have a different formula other than "Chuck gets reborn. . .again".

Though I can see how it seems a bit a weird to have a lot of Chucky running around, yeah.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:13 AM   #8
Wildcat
Foot Elite

The multiple Chuckys is cool imo. I know people were upset because they felt the soul splitting was too powerful but I can buy into it.

You can easily write it out by saying he becomes weaker the longer he’s split up. That’s what I came up with anyway.

I think it’ll only last as long as the tv show goes. They’ve said they still plan on doing movies.

I absolutely loved that Andy kept his head locked up and could talk to him. I thought that was really creepy. Having a possessed a item in your house is not new but I liked how it was portrayed. An evil living thing that’s just there but put away.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:21 AM   #9
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

I like the idea of being weakened the more he splits up. Otherwise, there's not a whole lot stopping him from taking over the whole world.

Also, that's a pretty smart move on Andy's part. Keep the head so you know where that little bastard is. If he's in your cupboard, he isn't out trying to possess other people.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:23 AM   #10
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Been watching up to Episode 7.

I was afraid it’s gonna suck like Scream tv series but perish the thought - they nailed it! The characters are really compelling, so many bloody kills and Chucky is an interesting villain. Can’t wait for season finale next week.

I watched the films before but only up until Seed of Chucky because it felt the series was going downhill from there; but this tv show ignites my interest to continue watching again.

Last edited by Shark_Blade; 11-25-2021 at 06:38 AM.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:33 AM   #11
The Deadman
Foot Elite

"Chucky is an interesting villain"

Literally a serial killer trapped in a doll's body.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:08 AM   #12
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
"Chucky is an interesting villain"

Literally a serial killer trapped in a doll's body.

This was awesome...

It's like when action figure or comic book guys say weird $#!( is cool just to try stringing the words along the way that other people do...

"It would be a generic action figure but you know.... it's a SKULL! Wrapped in a Santa Outfit with a green glowing body! How awesome is that!"

or

"I wouldn't normally buy these but it's a guy with a WOLF's HEAD and he's wearing a leather jacket! You have to buy that!"

"Chucky is an interesting villain" and you were like.... "dude they took a serial killer ghost and just put it into a doll."

Awesome.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:58 PM   #13
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
This was awesome...

It's like when action figure or comic book guys say weird $#!( is cool just to try stringing the words along the way that other people do...

"It would be a generic action figure but you know.... it's a SKULL! Wrapped in a Santa Outfit with a green glowing body! How awesome is that!"

or

"I wouldn't normally buy these but it's a guy with a WOLF's HEAD and he's wearing a leather jacket! You have to buy that!"

"Chucky is an interesting villain" and you were like.... "dude they took a serial killer ghost and just put it into a doll."

Awesome.
The Ninja Turtles are fairly interesting.

"I mean... they're humanoid turtles with ninja weapons so yeah, I'd say they are...."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 05:55 PM   #14
Shark_Blade
Emperor

He is an interesting villain because in Seed of Chucky he’s starting to get stale for me. Duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
This was awesome...

or

Awesome.
You tried so hard and so long winded like an old man trying to explain a dull joke, it’s not even interesting. Yawn gramps.

Stay on topic and talk about the series. No one’s interested about trolls trying hard to make fun of people’s choice of words. But if that’s your purpose in life then that’s just sad lol

Last edited by Shark_Blade; 11-25-2021 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:07 AM   #15
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
He is an interesting villain because in Seed of Chucky he’s starting to get stale for me. Duh.

You tried so hard and so long winded like an old man trying to explain a dull joke, it’s not even interesting. Yawn gramps.

Stay on topic and talk about the series. No one’s interested about trolls trying hard to make fun of people’s choice of words. But if that’s your purpose in life then that’s just sad lol
HEEEyyyyy mmaaannn!!! F you.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 07:55 PM   #16
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Lol go **** yourself, keep smashing your head on the desk, no one cares about your sad life.

We’re here for Chucky in this thread so go jump off a cliff lol. Either keep on topic or shut up.