The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion > Custom Toys/Collectibles

Notices

Old 08-15-2014, 06:10 AM   #21
connor_obain
Foot Soldier

Cool work sir! loving the use of the shellraiser and looking forward to seeing how the lair progresses.

I have just started work on a turtle lair too, found a toy parking lot on the street and in the process of cleaning it up.
connor_obain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:51 AM   #22
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Excellent, Connor. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:06 AM   #23
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Thought I'd share my G.I. Joes-as-TMNT-characters kitbashes and some of the McFarlane figures I use as modern versions of vintage TMNT figures.

I've posted some of these before, but I want this to be my master thread so's I can spam one thread rather than the whole forum.

First off, G.I. Joe Retaliation Jinx with a 25th Anniversary Lade Jaye head for a simple, lazy April O'Neil:

And here she is taking on Groundchuck, in the form of McFarlane's Tremor II:

Giant Monkeyman Build-a-Figure as Sgt. Bananas:

And finally, Sigma 6 Casey Jones:

Last edited by Monte Williams; 08-25-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Monte Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:10 AM   #24
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Here's a photo (from Seibertron, I believe) of Groundchuck.

It almost can't be an accident how closely he and Tremor parallel one another.

Last edited by Monte Williams; 08-25-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #25
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Today I took my daughter's Monster High Sweet 1600 Draculaura Roadster out for a shoot. If you squint and then get really drunk and then pass out or die, it's passable as a wildly stylized take on one of the Neutrino flying cars:

To suggest the car is floating, I simply balanced it on this barrel accessory:

If and when my daughter finalizes her long, drawn-out process of outgrowing Monster High, I might conduct some painting and weathering experiments on it to make it more viable.

Last edited by Monte Williams; 08-25-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:56 AM   #26
pennydreadful
trash

You can never outgrow Monster High; once you're in, you're in for life cuz that show is awesome. Though I'd definitely be interested to see any customizing you could do on MH bases!

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:57 AM   #27
connor_obain
Foot Soldier

Maaan, are you hijacking my brain? was thinking about the heap and poacher for those very characters Ha!

Really liking the sigma six Casey Jones, looks like he got the stealth treatment the turtles got but better and you need to do something with the monster high car, tell your daughter a bigger boy ran away with it*

*thats an excuse we use in scotland "a bigger boy done it and ran away"
connor_obain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #28
raven6859
Hench Mutant

Great stuff! Really looking forward to seeing your Turtles' lair, you have a great eye for useful figures and diorama pieces!
raven6859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #29
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven6859 View Post
Great stuff! Really looking forward to seeing your Turtles' lair, you have a great eye for useful figures and diorama pieces!
Thank you very much! Coming from you that's high praise indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor_obain View Post
Maaan, are you hijacking my brain? was thinking about the heap and poacher for those very characters Ha!
For some reason I have spent many happy hours seeking modern updates, usually from McFarlane, of vintage TMNT figures. Here's some suggestions I came up with:

http://twofistedtoytalk.wordpress.co...n-day-mutants/

Not pictured is a weirder, more recent notion: the NECA Prometheus Engineer as a new take on Krang's android body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
You can never outgrow Monster High; once you're in, you're in for life cuz that show is awesome.
I've never seen the show, oddly enough. I just saw Monster High photos on Flickr and loved the designs. Indeed, I got my daughter into them; she didn't care for them at all until I brought one home.

Alas, I learned that I hate rooted hair, so I eventually gave all my MH dolls to my daughter, who in turn recently placed them all in the garage.

Seriously, though, I would buy dozens of the damn things if they were reinterpreted as an action figure series by NECA or something (with sculpted plastic hair). A NECA Robecca Steam would be the greatest toy ever!

Here are some of my MH photos:

They're photogenic little buggers!

Last edited by Monte Williams; 08-25-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #30
Banned

those are some great quality custom figures youve made there! gotta admire your hard work and dedication, you are truly talented
1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #31
Raptor86
Stone Warrior

For a good Comic TMNT Van I think that this Dickie Toys Surfer Van it's very good...

http://www.amazon.com/Dickie-Toys-Su.../dp/B004QM8XS4
Old 08-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #32
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor86 View Post
For a good Comic TMNT Van I think that this Dickie Toys Surfer Van it's very good...

http://www.amazon.com/Dickie-Toys-Su.../dp/B004QM8XS4
Aw man, I didn't know about that one! I have one of their RVs:

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-jo...ay-camper.html

Their vehicles are amazing, although much like my garden toy, these would only work as background vehicles for the Turtles.

Last edited by Monte Williams; 08-25-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #33
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987 View Post
those are some great quality custom figures youve made there! gotta admire your hard work and dedication, you are truly talented
Sorry, man, I hadn't seen your comment when last I posted. Belated thanks!

Now then, I have many new portraits to share.

First, new photos of McFarlane's Poacher as Doctor El, both utilizing the same pose from the same angle, which I didn't realize until I pasted them here:

(I had originally introduced Doctor El earlier in this thread, but I had to delete 2,000 of my photos from Flickr,
so I've gone through and cleaned out all the dead photo links and the text that referred to them.)

Mikey's new friend, McFarlane's Code Red:

Here's an older Code Red portrait from before heymilt weathered the Turtles, and man does Donatello look weird and unfinished and wrong to me now:

Two nearly identical portraits of Leonardo, both of which I felt compelled to keep because I am fascinated by how a slight tilt of the camera can leave a massive chunk of the backdrop obscured in shadow:

More in the next post...

Last edited by Monte Williams; 08-25-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #34
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Generic portraits:

A new adversary in the form of Mandarin Spawn, who I may use as an evolved, power-up version of Shredder:

Finally, the Nickelodeon LARP Turtles series brought us Donatello as a wizard and Michelangelo as an elf. And now:

Last edited by Monte Williams; 08-25-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #35
pennydreadful
trash

You really do take lovely photos.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #36
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
You really do take lovely photos.
Thank you! Your kind words are much appreciated.

Now then, I've got a Sewer Update: I went back to the thrift shop, and hit the jackpot!

First up, a few more skate ramps (not pictured so's I can accommodate the ten-photos-per-post rule) and some weird tiki mask thing, not particularly exciting but potentially useful as a prop in Mikey's room:

Next, a giant friggin' race track, also not exactly thrilling, and I probably would have opted not to spend five bucks on it if I'd had a clearer sense of what it was (it was all wrapped up in a baggie; I thought maybe there would be other parts besides the track, but no luck), but I might incorporate a few pieces into the sewer setup:

More relevant to the sewer project is this goofy but charming Fisher Price tower:

And best of all, for a whopping four dollars I nabbed all of the following (as well as the skate ramps and tiki item at the start of this post):

Bigass skate pool!

Mysterious Hot Wheels thing! It's about as random and nonsensical as can be, but the basketball hoop alone makes it worth the four dollars.

Man... the scale of this thing is getting out of hand. Also, the more cool items I find, the steeper the burden of accountability; I kinda feel like I can't back out now.

I just hope I don't screw it all up once I start trying to paint!
Old 08-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #37
Huzzah
Mad Scientist

I find it easier to paint props, settings and such, versus figure repaints, plus it's alot more fun in my opinion. I hate painting figures, I like piecing them together mind you, but I love painting buildings, walls and such.
Huzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #38
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzzah View Post
I find it easier to paint props, settings and such, versus figure repaints, plus it's alot more fun in my opinion. I hate painting figures, I like piecing them together mind you, but I love painting buildings, walls and such.
That makes sense. If you're weathering a wall, a bit of slop here and there will just look like more weathering. I am in awe of people who paint the eyes on tiny G.I. Joe heads, but hopefully I won't mess up giant props in a sewer playset too badly.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #39
Raptor86
Stone Warrior

Monte, where are the Leonardo katanas from?
Old 08-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #40
Monte Williams
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor86 View Post
Monte, where are the Leonardo katanas from?
Others have asked before, and unfortunately I can't remember their origin. I'll say this, though: what they boast in aesthetics they lose in functionality; the hilts are too narrow to rest firmly in Leonardo's hands.

I'd have happily given him the NECA Leonardo swords, but one of mine broke at the hilt.