The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2021, 07:19 PM   #3921
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist
 
Spidergreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnHawk View Post
NECA is garbage, it goes both ways homie, and if you listened to interviews with B. Flynn way before production began on MM, you'd have known that he was made to not be water tight
Yeah because telling you beforehand totally invalidates just how pathetic
you are when your whole goal in the first place is to remake something.

Raph & Leo = wobbly legs, giant gaping hole at neck.
Shredder = feet reuse of foot soldier , not accurate gauntlet doesnt turn making it weird in certain poses.
Bebop = Mohawk isn't even purple face too pink can't even hold his shield lol.

And WTF are you even comparing Super7 to Neca?
The price is double that of Neca's...... and it's ****.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:32 PM   #3922
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist
 
Spidergreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by xZAOx View Post
NECA and Super7 are both awesome in their own way.

They also each have their own flaws - with NECA's being more QC and esp availability problems (these preorders right now are great though - but I wish they could say that everything will be preorder-able from here on and save heartburn).

Super7's Mutagen Man does *not* disappoint. Who really fills their toys with water? I never even knew the vintage did that, wasn't something I was interested in anyways. He's huge and super cool.

I'm looking forward to this version too.
Tight joints are a thing of the past..... recent figures after
rock soldiers, especially triceratons, rat king/vernon have been better.
Neca also upgraded the hip joints making it more articulated.

You talk as if super7's figures are readily available and easy to get.
Not to mention there are only 4 figs a year, if that. Expensive, long wait and flawed??? wtf??

It's like selling you a burger with just the buns and patty. No cheese, no lettuce, no onions. That's what u wanted right? It's still a burger. So what if i don't like onions? I'd still like to have it!!
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:52 PM   #3923
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist
 
Spidergreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 1,048
Cheap, good or fast, pick 2.

Neca is definitely affordable with this kind of quality.
Do I even need to justify how good it is? It's the current best line.
And it's definitely fast, otherwise our wallets wouldn't be complaining.

If you can check at least 2 of the criteria above, I would consider you a good company.
Neca checks all 3.

Meanwhile super7 can't even check 1.
It's expensive, it's flawed and it's slow.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:21 PM   #3924
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Stone Warrior
 
Tuxedo Moroboshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Battle Nexus
Posts: 669
I collect both lines, and here's my opinions.

As far as accurately depicting what they're trying to depict, they've all been pretty stellar. The only real screw up, I'd say, is NECA's cartoon April has very weird proportions, making her simultaneously look too short and too big-headed. But other than that figure, every character has been screen accurate.

Now, I think outside of that, it comes down to personal taste. There's a lot of characters whose toon designs I didn't care for, and Mutagen Man is one of them. But this isn't even a NECA vs. Super 7 thing, because I also don't like Slash's toon design, which is why I skipped on that figure and instead have the Turtles in Time Slash figure on pre-order, that Slash ALSO being from NECA.

On the topic of the game figures, though, I also gotta say I don't really like how they painted pixels onto those figures. I know other game figures NECA's put out, such as their NES Batman or the Alien vs. Predator Dutch and Linn 2-pack, don't have those weird painted pixels and I wish the TMNT game figures were like that, personally. This is subjective taste and whatnot, but I figured I'd mention it.

Super 7's got a few weird quirks of their own that I take issue with. Why does Raphael's belt have gun metal coloring for the metallic parts, but Leonardo's belt has them colored silver? It bothers me that they don't both have the metal be the same color. And from the looks of things, Michelangelo isn't going to come with a turtle com, even though the other 3 Turtles do. I also think there's a lot of missed opportunities. Shredder should have come with an alternate Oroku Saki head, instead of that jokey head with the eyebrows on the helmet (or both heads, considering the pricepoint for these figures). I think it'd be cool if Casey Jones came with an unmasked head, too, but I'm definitely not expecting it, and that's a real shame. I know Casey never took off his mask in the cartoon, but we've already established that the original toyline was different from the cartoon, and I also think there were plans for the original Playmates line to have an unmasked Casey figure... or am I completely dreaming that up?

I'm also really hoping Super 7 Mondo Gecko's skateboard actually ends up having the metal parts colored silver or similar, because the prototype shots showing it all solid green makes it look cheap... which these figures are anything but.

Super 7 does seem to have a few issues with loose joints, and NECA seems to have them with tight joints, putting them on polar opposite sides here. Loose joints can be bad for posing, while joints that are too tight can end up having you break the figure just from trying to pose it (which is a nightmare situation in and of itself, but especially for a figure that's so hard to find). Both issues CAN potentially be fixed (really depends on just how loose or how tight the joints really are), but even then it's inexcusable to expect the consumer to HAVE to do work just to have the figure do what it's intended to do out of the package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
Cheap, good or fast, pick 2.

Neca is definitely affordable with this kind of quality.
Do I even need to justify how good it is? It's the current best line.
And it's definitely fast, otherwise our wallets wouldn't be complaining.

If you can check at least 2 of the criteria above, I would consider you a good company.
Neca checks all 3.

Meanwhile super7 can't even check 1.
It's expensive, it's flawed and it's slow.
Ehhhh... if they were selling every figure on its own, I'd agree with you about NECA being cheaper. But often times, a person is forced to get a figure they don't want along with one they do want. Even right now, I only want Ace Duck and have no interest in Mutagen Man. I also had to get Vernon piggybacking along Rat King. I mean, this probably doesn't bother people that want to collect every single figure, but for a person that prefers to pick and choose, it still feels like you're paying more because you're only going for one figure. I'd like to have the choice of actually paying just $25 for one figure I want rather than $50 for one figure I want and one figure I don't want. So in this sense, I feel like I have to pay $50 per figure regardless of if I'm getting NECA or Super 7. Though it should be noted they're also different scales. But on that note... I think I do prefer the smaller scale of the NECA toon figures as compared to the bigger scale of Super 7's Ultimates.

Anywho, I know you said they're improving the tight joints on NECA figures. I hope you're right about that, but it's not something you should dismiss, either.

Not to mention how horrible distribution has been. Super 7 makes figures on a pre-order basis. You pre-order from them, and you can pre-order however many you want, and they'll make that amount. They may not be readily available and easy to get AFTER release, but BEFORE release they most certainly are. Granted, it does suck that they take a very long time to release the figures, in that it sucks having to wait. But on the other hand, waves coming out as slow as they do has been great for saving up for them, at least. I honestly don't know if I'd even be able to afford the figures I want from them if they came out with 3 or 4 waves per year. Still, this kind of also affects price, in a way. If you're prepared for a Super 7 figure, you can pre-order it without any hassle. If you're prepared for a NECA figure, you have to go hunting to find it without much in your favor, and then you're pretty much forced to pay scalper prices which can get downright stupid (just look at what's happening with the disguise 4-pack right now). It's good that NECA is starting to do pre-orders on their site, though, but this has been a very long, ongoing issue with them.

To summarize, though.

Both lines are flawed, neither is really cheap (maybe per figure NECA is, but that's not how they sell/package them), but both are good.

Though, admittedly, them being good is pretty subjective, but I do believe both of them to be good.

I hope I don't get called names or dragged into this little brand war. Like I said, I collect both lines and I like both lines. I do find that both have their advantages and disadvantages. And I've been collecting NECA TMNT figures since they first came out with the Mirage comic line. Please be gentle with me for sharing my opinions.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:28 PM   #3925
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist
 
Spidergreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
Ehhhh... if they were selling every figure on its own, I'd agree with you about NECA being cheaper. But often times, a person is forced to get a figure they don't want along with one they do want.
It's really simple.
Just compare single deluxe Neca figures which are usually $30 or $35 if it's a huge figure
and you would still come to the conclusion that Neca is cheap.

Super7 being pre-order only is a nightmare 'cos I don't know what I'm getting
nor do I trust them with making a good figure. I have a couple super7 TMNT
and I also pre-ordered Mondo.....
BUT IT IS PURELY out of nostalgia. Not because I like super7's figures.

Last edited by Spidergreg; 04-16-2021 at 08:35 PM.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:37 PM   #3926
Coro
Mad Scientist
 
Coro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO USA
Posts: 2,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/NECA_TOYS/status/1383084517825597443

There ya go.
Not exactly what I was hoping for there...underwhelming is the word that comes to mind. Sigh
__________________
SuperChadMonkey
Space Monkey Toys

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:37 PM   #3927
xZAOx
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: TN
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
You talk as if super7's figures are readily available and easy to get.
Not to mention there are only 4 figs a year, if that. Expensive, long wait and flawed??? wtf??
They're open preorders for usually a month long. Any collector paying attention can easily get them.

They're not a long wait - they're made to order. Takes no more/less long than anything else, other than you're securing your order way earlier in the pipeline.

4 figures a year is only because they've only gotten two waves out. We'll get more than 4 this year. I wouldn't expect it to be more than 2-3 waves a year though. Which is fine with me.
xZAOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:41 PM   #3928
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist
 
Spidergreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by xZAOx View Post
They're open preorders for usually a month long. Any collector paying attention can easily get them.

They're not a long wait - they're made to order. Takes no more/less long than anything else, other than you're securing your order way earlier in the pipeline.

4 figures a year is only because they've only gotten two waves out. We'll get more than 4 this year. I wouldn't expect it to be more than 2-3 waves a year though. Which is fine with me.
Yeah but I'd like to watch some reviews first before committing
because S7 has messed up every figure to this date. I don't like
the idea of PO something from a company I don't trust.
I don't mind pre-ordering from Neca though.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:58 PM   #3929
Coro
Mad Scientist
 
Coro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO USA
Posts: 2,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
Yeah but I'd like to watch some reviews first before committing
because S7 has messed up every figure to this date. I don't like
the idea of PO something from a company I don't trust.
I don't mind pre-ordering from Neca though.
Others are right-you are spouting a subjective opinion.

I love both lines, and that too is subjective.

Let’s all return to not being rediculous and enjoy all the TMNT coming our way of late

COWABUNGA!

__________________
SuperChadMonkey
Space Monkey Toys

Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:11 AM   #3930
SleepDrifter
Random Punk
 
SleepDrifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Dimension B
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
Yeah but I'd like to watch some reviews first before committing
because S7 has messed up every figure to this date. I don't like
the idea of PO something from a company I don't trust.
I don't mind pre-ordering from Neca though.
Lol whoa dude. These are toys. I know you said you didn’t want to “flame super7 fanboys” or whatever but wow, here you are. That was intense and pretty unwarranted. Looking back through yesterday’s board post I only see two ppl complaining about the mutagen man design... I collect both lines and enjoy them both immensely. I personally like the OG line of toys more than the cartoon because I grew up thinking the cartoon was corny while the figures were pretty dynamic and imaginative. Your opinion is your opinion but you say some things that just come off as contrarian here: “S7 has messed up every figure to this date” “they only release 4 figures a year if that” - what?? First off you said you’ve been cherry picking this line and don’t own all the figures first hand so— that’s an extremely hyperbolic statement. And second S7 has put out 16 figures in a year and a half. 8 of which we received within a year. Is it ideal no? But NECA scratches that itch in between for me. It’s totally fine to not like S7 obviously or to be a NECA “fanboy” to use your colloquialism. It’s fine to like both. But having a fit about people liking something you don’t or disliking something that you don’t for that matter is a little petty for an adult on an internet message board about Ninja Turtle toys. I don’t recall anyone saying either line is flawless or stating an opinions as facts. I agree with Coro let’s get back to the subject at hand. Let’s dive deep into NECA here. Lets help others looking for more information. Let’s have fun and speculate what comes next. Let’s celebrate (or vent our toy hunt anxiety) about a wonderful line that an independent toy company is currently crushing. Cowabunga indeed! Let’s have fun here. After all, isn’t that the point of a toy?
SleepDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:15 AM   #3931
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist
 
Spidergreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 1,048
Hate it when people put S7 on a pedestal like it's superior.
S7 muckman isn't even better than playmate's muckman made in 1990!

Coming in into Neca's thread and say "I'll just get S7" just freaking rubs me the wrong way. More expensive doesn't mean it's better.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:27 AM   #3932
Dask
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
Hate it when people put S7 on a pedestal like it's superior.
S7 muckman isn't even better than playmate's muckman made in 1990!

Coming in into Neca's thread and say "I'll just get S7" just freaking rubs me the wrong way. More expensive doesn't mean it's better.
I also do have an issue with S7 elitists that mock NECA (it's not much of a problem here but can be seen on Instagram or Facebook) but I feel that as a whole, S7 delivers. The Muckman is better in that it is a bulkier figure than the Playmates. That alone makes it superior. However, having said this, I have no intentions of getting it unless S7 also gives it a glow-over (the NECA Muckman is the one that I am familiar with from the show). On a side note, I do collect S7's ThunderCats line and I am totally digging their legendary 4 Horseman sculpts. It's not perfect and a filmation line would have been preferable but the fact that we are finally getting some quality ThunderCats sculpts after a number of decades of dormancy (and, numerous botch-up attempts by Bandai) is well worth the wait.

I was actually never a big fan of the Playmates TMNT line for the 80's show as the toys were universally hunch backed and bow-legged. I collected about a dozen or so figures but always wondered how they would look with better proportions (e.g. Super 7) or if they were based on the show (e.g. NECA). However, I must say, I absolutely loved the Playmates TMNT line from the 2K3 (based on the 4Kids line) and I remember collecting almost half of the figures. It's proof, in and of itself, that they are a capable company. Unfortunately, laziness and contentment has overtaken them.

Last edited by Dask; 04-17-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:13 PM   #3933
TCRI
Foot Soldier
 
TCRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England
Posts: 230
I don't love either 'toon' line.

NECA = too many, I'm not that flush. Never liked their original turtle sculpts and lost interest. Although the new two-part heads look great. Also splinter and shredder.

S7 = My love for original playmates didn't last. I sold 90% of mine. So I don't care. Their original/new head sculpts do look good. But the nostalgia aesthetic holds me back.

S.H. Figuarts = it still hurts.
TCRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:29 PM   #3934
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist
 
Spidergreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 1,048
This is why you're not finding turtles in disguise

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNxZiOGgdV6/
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:48 PM   #3935
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 12,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
This is why you're not finding turtles in disguise

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNxZiOGgdV6/
Love the guilty stares they have!
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:02 PM   #3936
lonewarrior20
Stone Warrior
 
lonewarrior20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: pekin,IL
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
This is why you're not finding turtles in disguise

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNxZiOGgdV6/
can't quite tell, is she basically stopping him from grabbing everything and maybe putting them back out later?
__________________
Vote here for miss mutant 2021
Seriously folks, start voting!
You have less than 16 days left!

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=63924


"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:16 PM   #3937
King Kahn
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by xZAOx View Post
No, nothing that we're privy to at least. Randy said on Twitter that he's trying to get it up for preorders.

It feels like every release he's having to talk to Target reps about if it's okay. They may want first crack at it on their shelves though as part of the agreement.

The truth is, we just don't know how all that's working.
Yeah, I would say this is 100% correct. As with every other target set, they have wanted a window of waiting for target to sell through their stock. It makes sense. I wouldn't want someone else to also sell the same thing I am if I have stock still setting on shelves.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
Man.... I'm trying really hard not to flame super7 fanboys but you guys are starting to piss me off. Get lost with that comment, every super7 figure is flawed, mutagen man isnt even water tight.
You need to relax. We get it. you hate Super 7 and love NECA man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
Both lines are great. Mutagen Man are both accurate (Toy and toon). I don't get the whining
exactly, totally different designs and therefor reasons for existing. It is like saying apples are better than oranges and vice versa
King Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:40 PM   #3938
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist
 
Spidergreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
can't quite tell, is she basically stopping him from grabbing everything and maybe putting them back out later?
Store employee was keeping it for themselves most probably to flip and got busted basically.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:33 PM   #3939
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Stone Warrior
 
Tuxedo Moroboshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Battle Nexus
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
This is why you're not finding turtles in disguise

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNxZiOGgdV6/
This makes my blood boil. There's absolutely no reason to buy three of them, so you know those employees were scalpers. The one in red even has the gall to start making gestures of frustration.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:07 PM   #3940
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,775
Turtles In Disguise review by ToyBro: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W3eWuLHAP5I
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.