The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-27-2021, 09:24 AM   #2
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Why is this a thing? Did anyone actually want a "serious" take on Buzz lightyear? The Buzz cartoon made sense since at least it followed the same cartoony look and was aware it was a kids cartoon. Toy Story 1 was my favorite movie when it came out, adored it, I understand the sequels existing despite not liking them. But this?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:35 AM   #3
frank_one
Mad Scientist

This is supposed to be a movie about the character which inspired the Buzz Lightyear action figure we see in the Toy Story movies. This is basically the in-universe original version of the character we know since Toy Story 1.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:38 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

F this. This is the "Disney finally cancels Tim Allen" movie.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:41 AM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
This is the "Disney finally cancels Tim Allen" movie.
Heh, that thought actually came to my mind.

EDIT: from the Wiki:
Quote:
Contrary to people's expectations, this is not the first time Buzz is played by an actor other than Tim Allen. The list includes:
Pat Fraley (Toy Story Treats, video games, attractions)
Patrick Warburton (Buzz Lightyear of Star Command)
Javier Fernandez-Peña (Spanish mode in Toy Story 3)
Mike MacRae (video games)
Corey Burton (Disney on Ice)
When the movie was announced, many people were thrown into great confusion over it. This can be largely attributed to the human character and the toy sharing the same name, which led many people to believe the human Lightyear's voice actor, Chris Evans, would replace the toy Lightyear's voice actor, Tim Allen, to become the new voice of the character. Disney later clarified on Twitter that this was not the case, with Evans being the voice of the in-universe character that inspired the toy, and Allen being the voice of the toy.
https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Lightyear

Another entry for the Pixar Shared Universe theory... I wonder if it will have secret ties to Wall-E and the post-apocalyptic Cars earth speculation.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 10-27-2021 at 10:51 AM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:44 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

They'll try to say, "But this is the REAL Buzz Lightyear, not the action figure come to life! That's why it doesn't have Tim Allen's voice!"

Bullsh**. Of course it would sound like Tim Allen and of course everyone would expect it to. And 200% the only single reason this movie doesn't have him reprising the voice is because of his politics.

Quote:
Contrary to people's expectations, this is not the first time Buzz is played by an actor other than Tim Allen. The list includes:
Pat Fraley (Toy Story Treats, video games, attractions)
Patrick Warburton (Buzz Lightyear of Star Command)
Javier Fernandez-Peña (Spanish mode in Toy Story 3)
Mike MacRae (video games)
Corey Burton (Disney on Ice)
When the movie was announced, many people were thrown into great confusion over it. This can be largely attributed to the human character and the toy sharing the same name, which led many people to believe the human Lightyear's voice actor, Chris Evans, would replace the toy Lightyear's voice actor, Tim Allen, to become the new voice of the character. Disney later clarified on Twitter that this was not the case, with Evans being the voice of the in-universe character that inspired the toy, and Allen being the voice of the toy.
Hahah... yeah, that sounds about right in the damage control. "Relax! You guys are just confused. There have been people other than Mike Myers that have voiced Shrek! This guy who put on a costume in a Best Buy parking lot once, for example!"
Old 10-27-2021, 10:45 AM   #7
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
This is supposed to be a movie about the character which inspired the Buzz Lightyear action figure we see in the Toy Story movies. This is basically the in-universe original version of the character we know since Toy Story 1.
I get that but it makes no sense, the suit clashes with the style of the movie, it makes more sene that the in universe character that inspired buzz was from a cartoon.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:47 AM   #8
The Deadman
Foot Elite

So I guess there's a Toy Story shared universe now. Interesting.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #9
Turo602
The King of Kings

Conspiracy theories aside, this looks pretty interesting.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:01 PM   #10
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Without Tim Allen I don't care.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 02:19 PM   #11
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I mean Toy Story has plenty of options for spin-offs that make sense and could be successful. A tv show on Disney+ telling some hijinks that any of the many characters had, there's plenty for a show to be made that would make great episodes but not a full blown movie. Toy Story 5, because why not. A movie spin-off of one of the major characters, it would be done Toy Story style.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:28 PM   #12
neatoman
Emperor

So how long before they make a serious western starring Woody?

... Speaking of which, something that never quite made sense to me is why Buzz (and seemingly all Buzz toys) believes himself to be the TV show character he's based on, while Woody never believed himself to be the character from Woody's roundup and wasn't even aware of the "Woody Lore" so to speak. We are never given an explanation for why some toys don't understand their true nature while others suffer from no such delusion, what gives?
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 10-27-2021 at 02:34 PM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 02:32 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
So how long before they make a serious western starring Woody?
Not long, if this does well. And let's just wait and see if they recast Tom Hanks! I bet they don't.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:41 PM   #14
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I doubt they do a "serious" western with Woody.

Now a Disney+ Series that is the "lost" series Woody's Round-Up? Yes, please. There we'd see if this whole thing holds water, because Kelsey Grammar is also "Right-Wing" by Hollywood's standards.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 02:48 PM   #15
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Kelsey Grammar is also "Right-Wing" by Hollywood's standards.
He votes Republican, doesn't that make him right-wing by any American standard?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:01 PM   #16
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Why are the colors so muted and bland? Why are the set/character designs so static and non-dynamic? Why is the overall atmosphere so ... somber?

The movie looks too dull.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:54 PM   #17
Sumac
Banned

Guess they went with something more serious than usual cartoony style.
I like it.

I wonder, how it will be connected to the Toy Story universe which seemingly happens in a modern day.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:57 PM   #18
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Looks cool. Have not seen Toy Story 4 yet.

I highly doubt the voice has anything to do with Tim Allen’s political views (which I don’t know of). I’m sure anything Toy Story will have him back. There would be backlash if Buzz Lightyear the toy was suddenly recast.
Old 10-28-2021, 12:38 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

If they make a Toy Story 5 and Tim Allen is back... maybe it's nothing (or maybe it's a compromise from Disney... i.e., OK, some dollars will go to Allen if we do TS5... but we promise no other dollars will go to Allen in this new series). It's just very difficult to imagine the director of Lightyear going, "We're making the CGI Buzz Lightyear movie, about who Buzz Lightyear the talking toy from the other CGI movies with Buzz Lightyear is based off of and basically in the same style. But I really want a different voice actor for the part, just because, but it's my grand creative vision."

Like, why would you do that? Like, you buy a talking Dirty Harry doll... there's going to be a voice coming out of it that isn't Clint Eastwood's, if you can help it?

And I'm sure it's completely a coincidence that while Allen is a devout republican, Evans has been tearing up Twitter for years about seemingly every leftist talking point to head pats from all on that side.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:10 AM   #20
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
If they make a Toy Story 5 and Tim Allen is back... maybe it's nothing (or maybe it's a compromise from Disney... i.e., OK, some dollars will go to Allen if we do TS5... but we promise no other dollars will go to Allen in this new series). It's just very difficult to imagine the director of Lightyear going, "We're making the CGI Buzz Lightyear movie, about who Buzz Lightyear the talking toy from the other CGI movies with Buzz Lightyear is based off of and basically in the same style. But I really want a different voice actor for the part, just because, but it's my grand creative vision."

Like, why would you do that? Like, you buy a talking Dirty Harry doll... there's going to be a voice coming out of it that isn't Clint Eastwood's, if you can help it?

And I'm sure it's completely a coincidence that while Allen is a devout republican, Evans has been tearing up Twitter for years about seemingly every leftist talking point to head pats from all on that side.
Tom Hanks doesn't exactly do the voice of the Woody toys either so why is it hard to imagine that the real Buzz Lightyear doesn't sound like an exaggerated doll from a cartoon series? Especially considering he's supposed to be a real astronaut and not some guy from the entertainment industry. They more than likely just wanted a much more credible actor for the role with a much more attractive sounding voice than the Tool Man.