The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2021, 05:56 PM   #2141
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 10,293
This is my latest eBay purchase. 7.0 for $110. It completes my Justice League of America volume one run from #60 on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211005_185404.jpg (86.2 KB, 4 views)
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:49 AM   #2142
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 10,293
There is the original Justice League of America incarnation 1960-1970 then dropping Wonder Woman for a time and Martian Manhunter for the rest of the original incarnation 1970-1984 known as the Satellite era coined after the second headquarters. 1984-1987 had the failed Detroit League coined after the relocated base. Then the Justice League went international for 1987-1996. 1997-2006 was the Magnificent Seven JLA run. After that though is there an era that is clearly defined? The volume that Brad Meltzer started did not really last long as similar to the latter part of the Satellite era continuity got in the way and members like Hal and Geo Force never got the opportunity to stick around. What is that League called? I assume after that New 52 JL? Then Rebirth had a launch then a branch off and then a volume relaunch. What era is it after New 52?
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:51 AM   #2143
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 18,626
It's official: Jon is bi-sexual


https://www.ign.com/articles/superma...bt-jon-kent-dc
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:46 AM   #2144
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 38,225
I saw a lot of news articles today simply saying, "Superman is gay/bi-sexual" without mentioning Jon, obvious clickbait to get people into thinking they made Clark Kent gay without distinguishing its a different Superman.

So now both Tim Drake and Jon are gays (male bisexuals are basically gay for good and don't return to women), so it seems homosexuals are mainstream now.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:00 AM   #2145
sdp
doomer
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 9,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I saw a lot of news articles today simply saying, "Superman is gay/bi-sexual" without mentioning Jon, obvious clickbait to get people into thinking they made Clark Kent gay without distinguishing its a different Superman.

So now both Tim Drake and Jon are gays (male bisexuals are basically gay for good and don't return to women), so it seems homosexuals are mainstream now.
and you'll see the usual idiots making a fuzz online either that "superman is finally gay" or "OMG they made superman gay" which is what they wanted, free marketing.

Turning people gay/trans is really today's the equivalent of giving a superhero more spikes and an XTREEEME makeover in the 90s. Just marketing and it'll all go away when people stop giving them free marketing over the "controversial change".
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:32 AM   #2146
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 18,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So now both Tim Drake and Jon are gays (male bisexuals are basically gay for good and don't return to women).
The future of SUpersons indicates Jon will eventually have children. And he may be with Damien by then, so they leave it open-ended.

It's not Jon and Tim being bi I have a problem with, it's that they have bland and 'oh so perfect' boyfriends who've barely shared months worth of page time with them, thus do not earn the sufficient build-up. Tim's arc was wasted in a series of short stories in a satellite book that I don't think otherwise reaches a whole lot of people.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 01:56 PM   #2147
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 13,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post

Turning people gay/trans is really today's the equivalent of giving a superhero more spikes and an XTREEEME makeover in the 90s. Just marketing and it'll all go away when people stop giving them free marketing over the "controversial change".
Everything has to be an opportunity to push an agenda, I suppose:
Quote:
Son of Kal-El writer Tom Taylor told IGN about the decision to have Jon come out as bisexual now. “When I was asked if I wanted to write a new Superman with a new #1 for the DC Universe, I knew replacing Clark with another straight white savior could be a real opportunity missed. I’ve always said everyone needs heroes and everyone deserves to see themselves in their heroes. Today, Superman, the strongest superhero on the planet, is coming out.”
https://gizmodo.com/dcs-current-supe...end-1847838784
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 05:25 AM   #2148
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 18,626
Biased Broadcasting Corporation even covering it



Is Tom Taylor a brit? I didn't know that!
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:34 PM   #2149
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,658
Never been a fan of Jon so I don't know if there is any precedent for it like say Tim Drake or Kon-El were a lot of fans have speculated it over the years. Also it's Jon so who cares? If it was main universe Clark...or any of Clark that would be a big deal but this is only one step removed from making a version of Alan Scott gay on the who cares metre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Biased Broadcasting Corporation even covering it
These days the BBC are certainly not pro-LGBT. They've stopped associating with Stonewall because they "want to be seen as impartial on LGBT lives"...granted that's more to do with their problems with trans people than gays or bisexuals but it's pretty shocking that they would do that or phrase it that way.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:55 PM   #2150
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 24,369
There's obviously nothing wrong with being gay or bisexual, but there are a few things about this situation that are annoying.

- "Too many straight white dudes." See, the writer even said it out loud. This is where people of a more conservative persuasion get aggravated. Because people who lean more left SAY "Nobody is waging any kind of war against straight, white males", except... yeah, they are. Openly.

- The "thought police" are out in force, as per usual. The reaction to this news on the Superman Homepage was NOT positive; the site's Admins responded by deleting almost all comments and even banning multiple members outright. Now granted, I only saw a couple of the comments, so perhaps there was actually some toxic stuff that needed to be cleaned up, but the comments I actually SAW were simply people saying "We don't need to go here with this," and that was enough to deserve being deleted/banned. Doesn't seem right.

One of the commenters stated, "We deserve to have our voices heard, even if we're against this decision," and one of the Admins basically said, "No, you DON'T deserve to be heard." Stuff like that is just... I don't know, man.

- One deleted comment REALLY hit the nail on the head about what's truly bothering people; less the whole "Jon is Bi" thing, and more the fact that "traditional Superman" is being entirely phased out right now in favor of ever-more trendy and "topical" iterations.

I'm paraphrasing, but the deleted comment basically said, "Right now, if you want Evil Superman, you're covered. If you want Gay Superman, you're covered. If you want Black Superman, there's gonna be a movie AND a TV/streaming series for that. BUT, if you like "plain old traditional Superman", then this is arguably the worst time in decades to be a fan of the character because virtually nothing with that character is being done anywhere. Outside of that TV show, which started strong but has been a REAL mixed bag ever since the pilot.

Add to that the fact that WB/DC is doing damage control and insisting "We're NOT replacing Clark Kent or pushing him aside" despite the fact that if you actually look at the situation across all media... yeah, that IS exactly what they're doing. Kinda like who when Barry Allen came back, they insisted "We are NOT gonna sideline Wally West," and then... that's exactly what they did for most of a decade. So obviously nobody with a long memory trusts these people. They see their favorite fictional character being nudged aside because he doesn't check enough boxes for Present-Day Thinking, and it aggravates them. "Superman can't TRULY be a hero who represents 'everyone', because he's a Straight White Male and that's inherently Bad." Is it any wonder people get annoyed?

Here's the reality of the situation, whether WB/DC admits it or not: They feel like the Clark Kent character is nuclear, after two decades of struggling to handle him properly. The Snyder movies were supposed to kickstart a new golden age for the character across all media, and WB really did think they were on the right track by doing what everyone swears they want and "Just make it like the comic books." Except the comic books are a bit more dark and violent than most people who grew up on Chris Reeve are used to, and thus even though the movies were super-faithful people had a mixed reaction to them. The mediocre reaction to and performance of those movies pretty much convinced WB/DC that NOTHING they can do with Clark Kent will "sell"; they'd already done a Chris Reeve pastiche with "Superman Returns", and it didn't do well, so they did a 180 and made a comics-accurate movie and THAT also got a mixed reaction. So now WB doesn't know WHAT to do.

What WB/DC sees, is that the Clark Kent character has become such a one-dimensional archetype in peoples' minds that it's become impossible to tell stories with him, because no matter WHAT they do people will scream about it. But they still want to market and monetize the "Superman" character.

The solution becomes, "retire" Clark Kent, push him aside, and introduce a newer, "Modern-Day Superman" with a lot less baggage and designed for more Present-Day Values. That IS the corporate endgame, no matter what WB/DC insists publicly. Again, they can come out and make all the damage-control press releases they want about how "We are NOT retiring Clark Kent", but all anyone has to do is look around at all media and see the reality of the situation. WB does NOT want to use the traditional Clark Kent iteration of Superman going forward. They will, begrudgingly, but only because too many people are heavily invested in that character. But make no mistake, that is NOT the Superman that WB wishes to carry the torch going forward. They don't see any money - or headlines - in boring, plain old Clark Kent, Straight White Male Savior.

What they're finding out the hard way is that MOST Superman fans, even if they like Jon, simply will never embrace "Jon as Superman" as the new full-time status quo regardless of whether he's straight or not, but beyond that, the Superman fanbase is typically more old-fashioned and traditional in the first place. The entire reason they prefer Superman in the first place is because he represents "traditional values" and hearkens back to "a simpler time". And, a lot of them are Christian, or at the very least fairly conservative. And those people, right this minute, are being told they are bigots because they say out loud, "I prefer to read about boring old straight white Clark Kent, thanks." Is it any wonder they're not happy?

Personally, I've bought less than a dozen Superman comics since the New 52 disaster and everything post-"Final Crisis" is all "non-canon" to me anyways. But the whole situation is so blatantly transparent - and desperate - and incredibly out-of-touch with who the character's audience is. That's what's so eye-rolling about it. Back in the day, comics publishers literally relied on giving people what they asked for; decades ago, they would literally poll the readership for story ideas and respond accordingly. Nowadays, everything is backwards; they TELL you what you're supposed to want, like, and how to feel, and if you say you don't want that then they slander you. That's simply not good business.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:45 AM   #2151
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 18,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
These days the BBC are certainly not pro-LGBT. They've stopped associating with Stonewall because they "want to be seen as impartial on LGBT lives"...granted that's more to do with their problems with trans people than gays or bisexuals but it's pretty shocking that they would do that or phrase it that way.
Oh I know that. All to do with the crackdown mandated by the Tories. They're always 'biased' whichever way you slice it, they're a mouthpiece for goverment
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 03:49 PM   #2152
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 18,626
Guess this settles who Dick is dating...

https://www.gamesradar.com/nightwing-new-costume-dc/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:29 PM   #2153
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 10,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Guess this settles who Dick is dating...

https://www.gamesradar.com/nightwing-new-costume-dc/
It's a big reason for why I replaced Detective Comics in favorof Nightwing. I already lost the Batgirl title and Batgirls does nothing for me. With all the liberal pandering and lackluster company-wide stories Nightwing co-starring Barbara Gordon is the best I can hope for. I hope that this direction will last for a while.

Going up against Titans Academy Nightwing has received more positive attention and solid sales. So whatever that was going on with Starfire can be ignored.


What is everyone picking up from the back issue bin these days? I am filling out the holes in my Justice League of America runs. I need 4 more to extend my run in volume one from #60 on.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 10-14-2021 at 05:06 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:44 AM   #2154
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 6,808
Found out Ram V's Justice League Dark ends this December. That sucks as that was my favorite run of the characters
__________________





I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:49 AM   #2155
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 10,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Found out Ram V's Justice League Dark ends this December. That sucks as that was my favorite run of the characters
Is this the backup of Justice League that I never read?

My latest purchases are JLA/Spectre: Soul War 2 parter and 1987 mini-series Legends.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:56 AM   #2156
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 18,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Found out Ram V's Justice League Dark ends this December
He's also leaving Catwoman, with Tini Howard replacing him
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:27 PM   #2157
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 10,293
https://www.cbr.com/justice-league-v...eroes-details/

Gold Lantern? I thought the Ultraviolet Lantern was overdoing it. Was there any resolution to the Ultraviolet Lantern?

Looks like Bendis is playing with all the toys gave him in a single book.

I am having a Hal Jordan withdrawal. John Stewart is better for team books,but if a new Lantern is involved I would rather have Hal in the story.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:26 PM   #2158
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 6,808
Superman's Motto has changed its now Truth Justice and a Better Tomorrow instead of American Way.

Variety
@Variety
Superman Changes Motto to ‘Truth, Justice and a Better Tomorrow,’ Says DC Chief

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/s...me-1235090712/
__________________





I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:19 PM   #2159
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 18,626
"Trial of the Amazons" Wonder Woman event also announced at Fandome
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:11 PM   #2160
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 6,808
Loved the nod to the infamous moment in Superman 2 in Superman 78 #2 with the Cellophane S

__________________





I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
batman, bendis, dc comics, superman, wonder woman

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.