The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-26-2021, 04:42 PM   #521
IMJ
Emperor

"No He-Man in the He-Man show" is the final, distilled-down descriptor that lets people avoid the minutiae of why there is "no He-Man in the He-Man show". And the reason why is because of woke $#!(.

Woke $#!( dictates thrusting Teela, the girl-empowerment themes, the woke art direction, etc all forward and therefore minimizing He-Man's role. People see that, they don't want to deal with the repercussions of honesty, so they just default to the simplest criticism in truth - "no He-Man sucks!".

People do it all the time - deliver the most distilled-down words that gives the opinion yet still keeps them safe. There are people like that at every job, in every meeting who don't want to on-board with a plan but are afraid to stand out or rock the boat. Every social group where they hate something that's going on but want to have friends. Every witch-hunt where they know they are burning people alive, but they say nothing and do it anyway.

"No He-Man in the He-Man show" is the final, distilled-down descriptor that lets people avoid publicly saying the minutiae of why there is "no He-Man in the He-Man show". And the reason why is because of woke $#!(.

None of what I'm saying is to encourage anyone to not like it. If you like it, that's cool, truly. There is some stuff to like in the show. But for fU($# sake, call an apple an apple. But it's f'd up to deliver the $$ for content out of continued involvement with a hobby when you are being overrun by agenda from the creators. The real message when I discuss this stuff isn't to hate on something arbitrarily, but rather to point out that people then should grow some f'n balls and take a stand instead of feeding addictions only to complain later. The other side of that is if you like the content, then no big deal. You liked it and so you support it. No big deal. But it doesn't occur to most people that they are giving the money to the people that they are complaining about ruining their franchises - it's a Ponzi scheme. Giving the bully the lunch money and then complaining about the bully.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:20 PM   #522
Galactus
Foot Elite

The reason that there has been very little He-Man in a show that is supposed to be about him is simple; they're doing the time tested story of what an established world and it's characters would be like if the main protagonist was gone.

You would think that the kind of audience that would watch a Netflix Masters of the Universe show in 2021 would get that. This is the generation that has seen World Without Superman, Knightfall, Age of Apocalypse and even things like the death of Buffy Summers and any number of similar stories across various media. We can discuss whether we really needed to see it with this particular property or how well they are pulling it off but that's what they are doing.

Just like the same audience should be able to figure out that the vast majority of these types of stories not only end with the hero returning but the whole point of them is to validate why the hero is so important in the first place. It shouldn't take a genius that second half of this series is going to be Adam actually working and earning his power back. Heck wanting to prove himself as Adam (and not He-Man) is the one consistent piece of drama the character has. That's why even though all the character designs are heavily based on the 80s version they take the 2002 series approach of making him physically smaller than his super powered alter ego. That's also why even in Eternian Valhalla he's still physically diminutive and the other Warriors of He playfully tease him about it.

Thing is I genuinely believe that most MOTU fans do understand all this. There's a huge discrepancy in the kind of discussion I'm seeing on discussion boards vs the kind I'm seeing on youtube and other social media which is being fueled by people with political agendas and whose income relies on the perpetual outrage machine of trying spread conspiracy theories that companies are deliberately ruining the commercial viability of their own intellectual properties by pushing the sinister evils of...increased racial and ethnic diversity and gender equality. These are hucksters who should not be listened to and at least half of their following are also hucksters who don't care about the media they are raging against, the other half are just easily led rubes.

Last edited by Galactus; 07-26-2021 at 07:21 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:25 PM   #523
CyberCubed
Overlord

Every time someones says, "Woke" "Woke" "Woke" I feel like they're saying "Wolf" "Wolf" Wolf"

As in...the boy who cried wolf.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:40 PM   #524
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Thing is I genuinely believe that most MOTU fans do understand all this.
So your position is that most complaining MOTU fans are just dumb complainers. My position is that they recognize what is going on and don't want to contaminate their I.P. - doesn't make anyone a racist. I mean the real truth is that having King Grayskull be a black dude or having Teela be the main character in a story isn't really that big of a deal at all. It's fine. It's just everything else that has been coming with it. And I think people see that.

But... I've also seen.... homogenization across some fandoms, so who knows? I only really glanced at your post to be honest.....

Quote:
You would think that the kind of audience that would watch a Netflix Masters of the Universe show in 2021 would get that
That was the whole point of my post above yours. I think you probably glanced at the first sentence and then fired off your missive there..... They do get it. That's not the real complaint. That was the root of what I wrote there - "no He-Man in a He-Man show" is not the real complaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Every time someones says, "Woke" "Woke" "Woke" I feel like they're saying "Wolf" "Wolf" Wolf"

As in...the boy who cried wolf.
Every time?

Last edited by IMJ; 07-26-2021 at 07:54 PM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:12 PM   #525
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
The reason that there has been very little He-Man in a show that is supposed to be about him is simple; they're doing the time tested story of what an established world and it's characters would be like if the main protagonist was gone.

You would think that the kind of audience that would watch a Netflix Masters of the Universe show in 2021 would get that. This is the generation that has seen World Without Superman, Knightfall, Age of Apocalypse and even things like the death of Buffy Summers and any number of similar stories across various media. We can discuss whether we really needed to see it with this particular property or how well they are pulling it off but that's what they are doing.

Just like the same audience should be able to figure out that the vast majority of these types of stories not only end with the hero returning but the whole point of them is to validate why the hero is so important in the first place. It shouldn't take a genius that second half of this series is going to be Adam actually working and earning his power back. Heck wanting to prove himself as Adam (and not He-Man) is the one consistent piece of drama the character has. That's why even though all the character designs are heavily based on the 80s version they take the 2002 series approach of making him physically smaller than his super powered alter ego. That's also why even in Eternian Valhalla he's still physically diminutive and the other Warriors of He playfully tease him about it.
Yep. This one gets it.

It's not a "woke sh*t" propaganda vehicle because Teela gets most of the screen time and has been booting the horse test.

I know that garbage like "The Last Jedi" and "Terminator: Dark Fate" has people seeing "Woke Sh*t" in their Corn Flakes nowadays. But This isn't That. The stretching that some people have to do to try and MAKE it sound like that would make Plastic Man jealous.

Bullsh*t complaints are bullsh*t complaints. You literally have to go into the show WANTING to see things through that lens for anything like that to jump out at you. It's like a Rorschach Test; whatever people claim to see in it says a lot less about the show than it does about Them. Especially in a show where after Episode 1, EVERY character gets moments to shine and do Cool Sh*t, but certain people only want to point out stuff like "There's three women on-screen in this scene, which symbolizes how Kevin Smith hates his own dick."

It's f*cking lunacy, I'm sorry. They can't be bothered to notice or point out the stuff like Evil-Lyn calling Duncan "The most dangerous person on Eternia", Duncan's multiple bad-ass fight scenes where he wrecks house on multiple opponents all by himself, Orko being the heart and soul of Episode 4, Roboto getting more character development in 15 minutes than he's gotten in 35 years, He-Ro finally getting time on-screen when he's never been used before, and on and on. No, they want to whine about "women getting too much Cool Sh*t to do" in a show where EVERYONE - hero and villain alike - gets "Cool Sh*t" to do.

I hate Teela's redesign. I'm over it. It doesn't negatively affect the plot.

I hate race-flipping characters. I'm over it. He-Man's dead great-great-great-great grandfather who gets five minutes of screen time being painted the wrong color by the animators isn't enough to get my ass hairs up what with everything else going on.

He-Man's my favorite character. He's not in the first half much. I'm over it. This story is about seeing him through the other characters' eyes before he comes back strong in Part 2. You're allowed to tell that story, and so far they're telling it well.

People wanna cry about "Woke Sh*t ruining MOTU"? Go watch the She-Ra reboot, where every f*cking character is gay, trans, or race-swapped, and write your thesis on THAT. Because in that case, it's justified. That show was conceived in sin and if people want to attack "Woke Sh*t" you'll find no better example than that. Have fun ripping it apart, you have my blessing.

This isn't That. Not even close.

For f*ck's sake, it's a miracle that "Alien" or "Terminator" never came out Right Now or they wouldn't be billion-dollar franchises. People would scream and complain that all the male characters get killed off while the Strong Wummyn saves the day. They'd be having a stroke about how tiny little Linda Hamilton killed off big tough Arnold's invincible murder-robot after the trained army guy from the future got killed off, or how Ripley survived to the end of the movie and got to star in sequels while her whole crew got killed off. CLEARLY James Cameron and Ridley Scott hate their own dicks, too, and only made those movies to push agendas. "It's all right there in front of you, you'd have to be BLIND not to see it!"

If people wanna project so much, they should pool their money and bring back movie theaters.

And if they wanna bitch about something trivial and of no consequence, bitch about why the bad guys had a Bashasaurus when that toy was CLEARLY marketed as a "Heroic" vehicle. THAT is the sh*t that's worth complaining about god dammit.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:30 AM   #526
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:39 AM   #527
Leo656
The Franchise

I hope you don't eat with the same spoon you stir sh*t with.

Old 07-27-2021, 12:57 AM   #528
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Kevin's commentaries are up

Quote:
pushing the sinister evils of...increased racial and ethnic diversity and gender superiority.
Fixed.

Supremacists never win.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 07-27-2021 at 01:18 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:03 AM   #529
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Looks like Current Day HBK Shawn Micheals
Old 07-27-2021, 01:07 AM   #530
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Looks like Current Day HBK Shawn Micheals
HAH. I bet that f*cker regrets ever making fun of Hogan's hairline.

Jokes on YOU, f*ckface!

Old 07-27-2021, 02:57 AM   #531
Sumac
Banned

Sorry, but when feminine heroine turns into manfaced swoleman with a sidecut - it is woke.

Also, Smith looks like he either does too much drugs or about to have a breakdown.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:33 AM   #532
Leo656
The Franchise

The ENTIRE show is "woke" because one character has a stupid haircut.

I'm glad everything is as simple as that. It can't just be that the art team made a bad choice, or rather started with a simple idea about making her look more "rugged' but took it too far. It's gotta have Sinister Ulterior Motives, too.

Where are the people screaming that Tri-Klops's Stupid Pope Hat and his Techno Cult are a clear and obvious indictment of Catholicism specifically and organized religion in general? There's another stretch of a point that can be argued about if a person wants to go there. COULD just be light satire, MIGHT be subversive brainwashing to try and tell people "Religion Is Bad MmmmKAY."

((It's light satire, by the way. Sometimes a cigar IS just a cigar.))

Oh, wait, people wouldn't bother talking about that point, because they didn't see that part, because they never watched the show and formed all their criticism around two pieces of promotional artwork. As one should always do, because that's the clearest and most direct path to having an educated and informed opinion on any subject.

It's a bad redesign. One which has nothinnnnnnnng to do with anything in the rest of the show. It affects nothing else, and symbolizes nothing, except maybe the passage of time since there's a few scenes that start in a flashback and then jump to present-day, which would probably be harder to distinguish if Teela looked exactly the same in both shots. There's even one shot that ends on Teela in the past, and then "fades" into her in the present, which is one place where if she looked exactly the same it would be a little harder to delineate where the flashback ended and the "now" stuff began. If nothing else it's a convenient visual shorthand for "Time has passed since Act 1, and things are kinda sh*t now."

I mean it would be one thing if Teela was the only one looking a little "rough" after the time jump, but the fact is everyone gets a weird redesign and looks a bit more "haggard" and "rough" than they used to. Teela got the shortest end of the straw, but all of the characters got some kinda new and funky adjustment to illustrate to the audience that they're not doing so great nowadays compared to before Adam got killed. And frankly, while I get why they did those redesigns that way, I'm not particularly in love with any of them, they all look kinda lame and not just hers.

It's a choice. It's not one I would've made but clearly they wanted Teela to look more like a "no-nonsense merc" who's been scavenging in the desert and doing bounty hunter work and stuff since that's what her role is at that point in the story. They just as well could've given her a full-on buzzcut for the exact same reason, I'm sure people wouldn't like that either.

Remind me, since I'm not a Mad Max guy. Were people screaming this loud when Charlize shaved her head for that movie? Or was that before the "hot chicks with short hair are obvious lesbians and therefore it's 'woke sh*t' by default" movement started? Did that one just sneak under the radar or was it before this specific Culture War started and so it was "okay"? I wasn't paying any attention at the time so I'm just curious. I kinda think it's the same thing, I just think people are choosing to cry about it in one case and ignore it completely in another.

Old 07-27-2021, 03:41 AM   #533
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'm willing to cede that maybe some of the more SJW-like things in the show might be strictly the design team... and Kevin Smith might be only trying to placate SJW-types with the story beats of this first part (and it's working). This is the guy, who after all, made his most critically renown film about Ben Affleck setting a lesbian straight again (basically). Can you imagine if "Chasing Amy" came out now?

But... that version of Kevin Smith is a very long time ago now. And he hasn't really had any success in ages. I think it's well within believability that he might have bent the knee to the SJWs even if he doesn't really agree with them. Time will tell.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:51 AM   #534
newfan
Mad Scientist

The label does seem to be just down to how Teela looks, I still feel we are too early into the show to label it's entirety.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:03 AM   #535
Leo656
The Franchise

I mean, like I said, EVERYONE gets a "Mad Max" redesign for Episode 2 and beyond. Orko, Trap Jaw, Mer-Man... everybody. Literally every single character gets a new "I seen some sh*t, man" redesign. Mer-Man is missing one of his f*cking eyes and nobody's mentioned it yet.

If Teela was the only one they "uglied up", I could maybe see it the way some people are choosing to.

I really think it's as simple as, they started with the idea of "Let's 'Mad Max' her up like everyone else" and then it went too far.

Old 07-27-2021, 04:05 AM   #536
Stephen
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
"New Adventures", in and of itself, isn't a bad show.

It's just a bad "He-Man" show, or at least it's a bad "continuation" of the previous canon, which is what it pretends to be.
New Adventures is basically what Filmation was already planning to do, with He-Man and the Masters of Space, had the company not collapsed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG48G49Qmv4
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:26 AM   #537
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I think this has less to do with "the writers emasculating Adam" and more to do with the fact that "bringing Adam back" after being dead is something that never occurred to any of the other characters
Only because they chose to write it that way. One can reason away whatever decision on the show one sees fit, but every moment on screen hinges entirely on how it is written, and I don't care for the creative choices when it concerns Adam's treatment in Part 1. Another example, I re-watched the last episode today, right as Adam goes through the portal with the team they are immediately thrust into battle. Every character has a short battle moment... except Adam. He has to be defended because he's portrayed as inept. Here we have one of the most seasoned warriors, who even without his power sword should be able to do something, but no. These little moments add up to a bigger picture in my eyes. So go ahead and waste your time explaining "why" that happened too.

You have continually brought up comparisons between Adam/He-Man's arc in this show and that of other media where the hero is dispatched, notably BvS/JL, and various other Batman/Superman tales. There is a reason why fanboys aren't pitching a fit about the treatment of their heroes in those stories (such as Superman dying at the end of BvS) the way they are about He-Man in this show... because of how it is written and how the characters are treated. When Batman goes away for an arc people roll with it because, yes, they can appreciate a story about what happens when a hero is out of the picture, that's not the primary issue here, at least for me. (Obviously people b*tch about those pieces of media for any reason under the sun just like anything in geek culture, but my point is the grievances aren't the same.)

Let's not forget that this is the guy who wrote a story where Batman peed himself. He's lucky that barely anyone reads comics anymore or that would have sat the internet on fire. So of course people are on edge and not really trusting that "it will all work out in the end" because he's just not to be trusted to handle characters right.

I'm surprised he didn't write a story where Batman is stuck on the toilet for the entire issue. If he did, I'm sure there'd be posters coming to defend it, "Uhh everyone uses the toilet, there is nothing wrong with this, you just don't get what he's trying to convey."

I do believe him when he says Mattel has a knife to his throat on certain things. They are the saviors in this saga, their baby, because they want to continue selling toys as always. But he's getting his kicks in along the way. And I'm still very, very concerned about Season 2 if it actually ends up happening. I just don't think he has any interest in telling a story where He-Man is the central protagonist and not a specter in the background. But COME ON AND PROVE ME WRONG, SMITH. That's a dare.

I very much have issues with some aspects of the show. But I take the good with the bad. It's like... 60% good, 40% bad in my eyes. But the stuff that was good, was quite good. I am keeping up my hopes for some turns in Part 2 that please me more. Only then can I say for sure how I truly feel about the series.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:10 AM   #538
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think the pitch to Smith might have been something akin to: "So 2020 and straight white males bad, strong women and diversity good... but we still want to do a He-Man revival but you know, basically without He-Man. Or if he's in it, he's gotta be like the least adept guy on the screen" and maybe Kevin was like "I think I can work with that!" with his eyes on becoming relevant again in a world gone mad. That Smith is kind of throwing his hands up in interviews citing "Mattel!!!" and not, you know, "this is totally 100% my vision and I stand behind every facet of it" is a little concerning and possibly telling.

Maybe. Or my other theory could stand.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:15 AM   #539
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
So go ahead and waste your time explaining "why" that happened too.
I agree that trying to sway a person who's flag is already planted in hardened concrete is, indeed, a waste of time.

If a person has already made up their minds that the entire point of the show is "making Adam look bad" - even though there's still 5 episodes left to go that we haven't seen, and even though not everyone sees it that way - then that's their opinion, and there will be no changing it.

I know you weren't seriously asking me what I think, because of the way you wrote that part. You don't care what I think, your mind's made up.

If you did honestly care how I'd try and "explain" it, I'd say that Adam and Teela in this series are both far more like their 200X versions than their Filmation ones - as evidenced in Adam's case by the fact he really IS a scrawny teenager in this one, like in 200X, and not merely He-Man's less-tan clone the way he is in Filmation. In 200X, Adam was a pretty useless fighter most of the time.

Come to think of it... in 200X, Teela always did most of the heavy lifting for Adam, "protecting" him and everything, before he'd sneak off to change to He-Man. They even did a whole episode about how while Adam was well-intentioned, he simply wasn't as capable as He-Man is. He tried to go off and save the day as Adam, without becoming He-Man, and he screwed things up worse until he had no choice but to turn into He-Man, and Duncan scolded him over it at the end.

I'm amazed people have such fond memories of that show, considering all the times Teela looked so much more competent than "Adam", and Adam was pretty much useless unless he was He-Man. Where were all the people crying about subliminal messages and social programming THEN, I wonder?

Anyways, I know it wasn't an honest question but if it was, that'd be my answer. They drew from 200X for Teela and Adam's personalities, because that version of Teela fits this story better and because that version of Adam was more of a contrast with his He-Man persona.

One more example of how Kevin Smith never should have "promised" that it was "The next episode of Filmation." It's not. It's a Filmation/200X hybrid with a lot of callbacks and Easter Eggs to both of those shows along with a ton of other lore like the Golden books and the audio records and the original toy design bible. Some characters are like their Filmation counterparts, others are like their 200X counterparts. It's all pretty clear if you accept it on those terms.

BUT. He "promised" it was all about being a sequel to Filmation, and that was a bad thing to ever say. I'm not sure if it's because saying it was "A hybrid series based on all the various lore" was just too esoteric, or if Netflix "made" him say that for marketing purposes, or what, I don't know. I know that saying "It's a Filmation sequel" gets more attention, so it might've just been as simple as that.

Once a person accepts that it's NOT a Filmation sequel but a hybrid series, a lot of these "problems" explain themselves pretty quickly. Adam being a scrawny putz being one of those things. We've seen it before. Nobody cried this loud in 2002.

BUT, people weren't seeing the Anti-Male Agenda in their scrambled eggs in 2002, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I think the pitch to Smith might have been something akin to: "So 2020 and straight white males bad, strong women and diversity good... but we still want to do a He-Man revival but you know, basically without He-Man. Or if he's in it, he's gotta be like the least adept guy on the screen" and maybe Kevin was like "I think I can work with that!" with his eyes on becoming relevant again in a world gone mad. That Smith is kind of throwing his hands up in interviews citing "Mattel!!!" and not, you know, "this is totally 100% my vision and I stand behind every facet of it" is a little concerning and possibly telling.

Maybe. Or my other theory could stand.
What confuses me is...
- You're on record that you never cared about MOTU anyway, you've said quite often how you always thought it was dumb
- As far as I know, you haven't watched the new series
- You DID however form some strong opinions on it based on a screengrab and a bunch of hearsay

....So I'm just kind of confused if there's a point to all this conjecture aside from the SJW Bogeyman In The Bushes.

You know I always agree with you when your points are valid, but... eh, when you're that far off the reservation I just can't.

Point of fact, most people are questioning how much Kevin Smith really had to do with the physical writing of this thing, or if he was mostly just an overseer who gave notes, because his fingerprints aren't really on it at all. There's nothing that screams his type of "humor" except for one stupid "No glove, no love" joke. You'd never even tell that Mewes did a voice, because it doesn't sound like him (and he's barely in it). Stinkor doesn't even make a fart joke. It's like the LEAST "Kevin Smith" thing he's ever had his name on.

If anything it plays more like something Mattel themselves put together.

Last edited by Leo656; 07-27-2021 at 05:26 AM.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:35 AM   #540
Leo656
The Franchise

Since this is more fun and nobody's done it here yet, I copied a list someone made of all the Easter Eggs found so far in the new series and where they originally came from. Some of them are obvious but a ton of them are incredibly obscure:

VINTAGE TOY AND MINI-COMIC [1982-1987] References

-"You look like a Warrior Goddess!" [episode 01]
-Tapestry "heroic" inside Grayskull (vintage playset) [episode 01]
-Evil-Lyn's magic wand is in both long and short form [episode 01]
-The Orb Container inside Grayskull looks a bit like the device in ”The Magic Stealer” minicomic. [episode 01]
-"Smells like... Pine!" [episode 01]
-Powersword acting as a "key" for unlocking (vintage minicomics Glut/Alcala) [episode 01]
-Roton vehicle [episode 01]
-Bashasaurus vehicle [episode 01]
-Sky Sled flying vehicle [episode 01]
-Man-At-Arms calls Night Stalker as "Night Mare" (which was the prototype name, and in German audioplay and comics) [episode 01]
-Powersword halved in two [episode 01]
-Snake Mountain appearance, wolf-gate, green tentacles and net from playset [episode 02]
-The motherboard Tri-Klops worships, has appearance of SCREECH toy [episode 02]
-Man-At-Arms uses a mace (vintage accessory) [episode 03]
-Roboto is a creation of Man-At-Arms [episode 03]
-Preternia (from minicomic, but here used in totally new context to represent "heaven") [episode 04]
-Turbodactyl 1987 "Powers of Grayskull" [episode 05]
-Three Towers of Eternia (Central lion tower, viper tower, grayskull tower) playset [episode 05]
-Sharella (reference to the girl see in Megator box art, later also appeared in Classics line) [episode 05]
-Wundar (vintage toy) [episode 05]
-Bionatops 1987 "Powers of Grayskull" [episode 05]
-He-Ro (ancestor of He-Man) 1987 "Powers of Grayskull" [episode 05]
-Horde-mention, as He-Ro fighting against them. But this could be a Classics reference, since original He-Ro fought only Snake Men. [episode 05]
-Orlax creature (pink tentacle in vintage Grayskull dungeon/Dwell of Souls -sticker) [comic issue 01]

GOLDEN BOOKS (1983) References

-Castle Grayskull used to be Hall of Wisdom (illusion or morphing) [episode 01]
-Inside Grayskull is Orb of Power [episode 01]

LADYBIRD BOOKS (1983) References

-Skelcon army [episode 01]

FILMATION STUDIOS (1983) References

-"Only four others share this secret..." (reminiscent of the Filmation introduction theme, now updated with Cringer) [episode 01]
-Prince Adam briefly holds the Sword of Power across his chest during transformation sequence [episode 01]
-The Shaping Staff ("The Shaping Staff") [episode 01]
-Faker associated with Shaping Staff and infiltration to Grayskull [episode 01]
-"I am Adam, Prince of Eternia and..." [episode 01]
-Hover Robot / Robot Knight ("The Curse of the Spellstone" and other episodes) [episode 01]
-Queen Marlena knows Adam's secret identity ("The Rainbow Warrior", which also is referenced in STAR/Marvel comic, but in that comic Randor also knew.) [episode 01]
-Evil-Lyn using the name "Majestra" in a disguise (from "The Shaping Staff") [episode 02]
-Evil-Lyn using an old woman disguise (many episodes, like "The Royal Cousin") [episode 02]
-In Tri-Klop's motherboard-room, there are gargoyle-like statues, reminiscent of the creatures in Skeletor's throne room ("Diamond Ray of Disappearance") [episode 02]
-Cringer got his name thanks to Teela ("Battlecat") [episode 02]
-Eternia is located at the center of the Universe [episode 02]
-The fountain with magical water (the Fountain in City of Aridan "The Witch and the Warrior") [episode 03]
-The Crystal Sea ("Teela's Quest") [episode 03]
-Orko talks about forgetting things at Crystal Sea (reminiscent of Teela's memory wipe there) [episode 03]
-Evil-Lyn's hair is white ("The Witch and the Warrior", also in MYP series) [episode 03]
-Aquaticans ("City Beneath the Sea") [episode 03]
-Trollan items like Orko's pyramid inside Man-At-Arms' hut ("Dawn of Dragoon" etc) [episode 03]
-Orko's home planet is called Trolla [episode 04]
-Shadowbeasts ("Teela's Quest" and other episodes, though here they are using them in a totally new way) [episode 04]
-The name "Kuduk" used for a Sorceress from ancient Eternia (name is an homage to Kuduk Ungl, who was the immediate-predecessor of modern day Sorceress in "Origin of the Sorceress", but here they are using it in a totally new way) [episode 05]
-Eternium (also in MYP series) [episode 05]

UK COMICS AND ANNUALS BY LONDON EDITIONS (1984-1989) References

-A member of pink-skinned race Auriconians with horns appears in Royal Palace [episode 01]
-The Glove of Globolah (from 1986 "Glove of Globolah" story, the glove might even rival the power of Grayskull) [episode 02]

LIVE-ACTION MOTU (1987) References

-"For those who control Grayskull control the power, the power to be Masters of the Universe!" (last part in introduction narration reminiscent of movie opening) [episode 01]
-The Sorceress inside a magical barrier, as she resists Skeletor. Similar how Skeletor held her prisoner in movie [episode 01]
-"Let this be our final battle!" as said by Skeletor in the film [episode 01]
-Teela's locater device (used by Man-At-Arms when Eternians encounter a cow) [episode 02]
-Weakened Sorceress reminiscent how she was withering as Skeletor's captive [episode 03]
-"I've waited a long time for this!" as said by Blade in the film [episode 04]
-Flying discs (which also appear in Filmation and 2002 cartoon, but it seems these are a movie reference) [episode 05]

MIKE YOUNG PRODUCTIONS (2002) References

-Teela twisting Adam's arm behind his back ("The Beginning part I") [episode 01]
-Members of Pelleezian race in Royal Palace ("Out of the Past") [episode 01]
-Followers of Tri-Klops have hoodies that somewhat look like MYP Hordak's Wizards (later in Classics named as "Wraiths") [episode 03]
-Faceless One (no head) at the entrance to Subternia [episode 03]
-Subternia ("Underworld", though used in totally different context as "hell" in new cartoon) [episode 04]
-Well of Darkness ("History", though name-only and used in different context where Scare Glow sends Teela) [episode 04]
-The name "Oracle" ("Power of Grayskull", a Trollan wizard in ancient Eternia. Used in new context here. Fan theories in 2002 suggested maybe Orko ages backwards and really was the same being) [episode 04]
-King Grayskull ("Power of Grayskull") [episode 05, comic issue 01]
-Veena [comic issue 01]
-King Hsss and Snake Men appearance [comic issue 01]

CLASSICS [2008] References

-Tapestry "evil" inside Grayskull (Classics playset) [episode 01]
-Doomseekers inside Snake Mountain (originally 200x reference, but these use Classics color scheme) [episode 02]
-The names Vikor and Wun-Dar (spelled Wundar in the credits) being used for those characters.
-Powersword said to be forged by Trollan mages [episode 05]
-Moss Man depicted as an ancient being [episode 05]

MODERN DC COMICS (2012-2020) References

-He-Man's chest emblem "H" was prominently in 2014 "Eternity War" and other story arcs (original symbol from 1984 Battle Armor He-Man) [episode 01]
-Teela and Andra's outfits reminiscent of Trap Jaw's mercs in 2012 comic mini-series [episode 02]
-Evil-Lyn calls upon "Zoar" in her spell casting (Eternity War reference) [episode 04]
-Skelegod appearance has influences from DC Universe crossover and "Eternity War" issues [episode 05]

CONCEPT ART and MISC References

-"Take it from someone who has seen battle, cat." [episode 01]
-Lt Andra (name used from STAR/Marvel comic) [episode 02]
-Vykor sketch (originally Mark Taylor's Conan, which later was repurposed as He-Man) [episode 05]