The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 07-24-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Coola Yagami
Overlord

TMNT Tournament Fighters- how did you react back in the day?

Nowadays companies like to make websites and stuff slowly leaking out what characters they'll be putting in their fighting games... like Smash-Up. But back in the day they would just BAM release a fighting game without much warning beforehand of who was gonna be in it.

So nowadays we're hoping they finally (if ever) reveal that Bebop and Rocksteady will be in the game and hope the Rabbids are joke and etc etc.... but what about back then?

Back when TF first came out, what was your reaction to the rostor? I mean, for OT fans you basically only had the TMNT, Shredder and the Rat King (and Chrome Dome if you saw his 2 episodes). But what about the rest? What did people that were NOT into Archie/Mirage comics think about some mutant shark, War and this woman that is the final boss instead of Shredder? And what did everyone think of Aska, not from any TMNT media at all. And the fact that ppl like Bebop, Rocksteady and Baxter were just guys in the background?
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I thought Armaggon was awesome.
Aska was awesome.
War was kind of lame, thought it was from the cartoon an episode I didn't watch.
Chrome Dome was from the toyline, didn't care for him.
Screwloose was also from the toyline and didn/t necessarily care.
Karai, unsure I may have liked her as a kid.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
Ninja Tiptup
Mad Scientist

Well... most of the characters as I recall were at least in the toyline though I didn't keep up with the Archie comics.

Did I find it odd that Bebop and Rocksteady were not playable? Actually... not really. I don't think I cared at the time. When I was a kid I didn't really care for Bebop and Rocksteady and thought there were way cooler characters out there. They were in the BG of the SNES game I recall that much (at least one of them was).

Turtles Tournament Fighters was different on all the platforms and some of the characters were pretty bizzare inclusions but I guess I figured it was TMNT and bizzare stuff always went hand and hand with TMNT.

I thought War was a cheap son of a gun, Armageddon was pretty cool for a shark kind of reminded me of Street Sharks, the spider er... bug thing was meh, Asuka was fun to play as what with attacking with her butt and all, Wingnut was interesting to play as and I think I gained a greater appreciation for the character by his inclusion same goes for Chrome Dome, playing as April was a novelty, it was nice to play as Ray Fillet though I wasn't very good with him and generally stuck with the turtles on the Genesis game and I didn't play with Hot Head too often on the NES but he seemed alright. They really beefed up Rat King and I don't recall what I thought of Karai...

They all played rather uniquely with the exception of the turtles non-weapon moves so that made it fun to play as just about everyone.

I think the only thing that really seemed odd about the 3 versions to me was why were they so distinctly different? I guess that's not a bad thing because you get 3 different fighting games instead of 1 but I would have liked to play as Casey in the SNES game at least. They could have picked better characters for all the versions I suppose but since all 3 played relatively well (especially the SNES game) I didn't really care.

And likewise despite finding the inclusion of Rabbids to be rediculous I think Smash-Up is looking great. Certainly better than Mutant Melee with it's massive amount of cloned characters and an overall disastisfying roster.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior

When it came out I bought it immediately for the fact it featured Rat King, Armaggon and Wingnut as playable characters. Those were some of my favorite characters besides the Turtles. I was a little let down that Bebop and Rocksteady got left out. Karai being in the game was awesome, even if she did look a little strange compared to the comic. The gameplay itself was good too. I'd compare it to Street Fighter 2's gameplay style, and while SF2 is ultimately the measuring stick of fighters, this one was still good compared to the rest of the imitators back then. On a scale of 1 to 10 i give it a healthy 8.{better than a sickly 8}
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

TMNT Tournament Fighters- how did you react back in the day?

with one word: AWESOME!
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Since people are doing the other games:
Genesis:
I thought sysyphus was a horrible choice especially since he is an original character.

Manray is a cool choice but too bad he looks awful.

Triceraton is pretty cool.

Karai is cool but as a kid I'm not sure what I would have thought.

NES:
Hotspot kind of lame even though I like the character and had his action figure.

And since you guys are reviewing the games too:

SNES: This is no Street Fighter but the game is still pretty good and the graphics are awesome, made a perfect TMNT game.

Genesis: graphics look like crap but the style grows on you, for being a two button fighter its surprisingly good. Also The taunt button is pretty funny "Hello Baby"

NES: Counting its on the NES this is an amazing fighter and easily the best 8 bit fighter out there.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
Patraw
Stone Warrior

At the time, I didn't know who the heck War, Armaggon, Karai, Sisyphus, or Aska were, and I thought it was lame to stick weirdo characters like that in the games and leave out more familiar ones like Bebop and Rocksteady. As my knowledge of TMNT grew, I came to appreciate the Archie/Mirage/Original characters, but part of me is still a bit bitter that some other more popular characters didn't make the cut. Konami, or somebody, should revisit the game and make a huge KOF-type cast with tons of new TMNT characters.

And I'm probably in the minority, but I actually like Sisyphus (wouldn't have sculpted 'em if I didn't).
Old 07-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
DonatelloDomeHead31
Stone Warrior

Tournament Fighters was awesome and the boss selections, especially in the SNES version, were well selected. My only negative thing about the SNES version was facing Cyber Shredder because on a higher difficulty, he would duck many times and block all the time.

Donatello: Pork rind.
Donatello: Yeah, a few inquiries.
Donatello: Turtles don't migrate, Raph. Birds do!
Donatello: Have you seen the way this guy drives?
Donatello: 0.00000003%!
Donatello: I don't know, but it doesn't look good...
DonatelloDomeHead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #9
jasonorme666
Stone Warrior

I remember not knowing most of the character roster.

The games were ridiculous hard aswell.

I did love the backgrounds thought, with multi-coloured foot soldiers, baxter as a fly, bebop & rocksteady.
jasonorme666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #10
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

I heard of and saw screen shots in I think it was gamefan magazine a good several months before the release date in a previews section, and was incredibly excited for it. I remember seeing Asuka and thinking she was April in the SNES version, cause I guess the preview didn't mention any names.
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:04 AM   #11
MeanGreenMachine
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Nowadays companies like to make websites and stuff slowly leaking out what characters they'll be putting in their fighting games... like Smash-Up. But back in the day they would just BAM release a fighting game without much warning beforehand of who was gonna be in it.

So nowadays we're hoping they finally (if ever) reveal that Bebop and Rocksteady will be in the game and hope the Rabbids are joke and etc etc.... but what about back then?

Back when TF first came out, what was your reaction to the rostor? I mean, for OT fans you basically only had the TMNT, Shredder and the Rat King (and Chrome Dome if you saw his 2 episodes). But what about the rest? What did people that were NOT into Archie/Mirage comics think about some mutant shark, War and this woman that is the final boss instead of Shredder? And what did everyone think of Aska, not from any TMNT media at all. And the fact that ppl like Bebop, Rocksteady and Baxter were just guys in the background?

I think this has to do with the internet not really existing. World of mouth travelled by neighborhood kid to kid. We couldn't just log online and get info about an up and coming game. Or cheats or anything along the ways. All we had was Gamepro and Nintendo Power magazines. All now collecting dust in my closet in my old room.

I loved the game. I was the best at Shredder ever. Older neighborhood kids would come over and try to challenge me and I would whip 'em.
MeanGreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 10:35 AM   #12
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I remember knowing who everyone was except Aska. I was lucky enough to find a Mirage comic a few years before, the City at War cover with Karai on the cover, so I knew who she was. I assumed Aska must have been some other Mirage character the turtles encountered on some other issue I never saw. After all, that was Mirage issue 55 I believe, so there were at least 54 issues of adventures I have never seen or heard of at the time.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote