The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Will we hit issue 200?
Yes 33 47.14%
No 37 52.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2022, 03:20 PM   #21
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Now, I don't think this is an actual ghostwriter situation with Sophie at all (again, short memories around here)... but what a stupid thing to say. So publishers have been being "disrespectful" and "offensive" to the hundreds of ghostwriters hired for the last couple of centuries? It goes with the f***ing job and its right there in the word "ghostwriter."
That was perhaps poorly worded but consider the context though; why would anyone accept a job ghost writing to cover up someone else's bad work? Why would anyone let a 'bad' writer's name be put on work that they've put time and effort into?

Ghostwriting in fiction is usually done to the effect that multiple writers are used to create a bulk of content that is all largely in the same style, tone and patterns. Having it be in completely different style and tone would defeat the purpose having a ghostwriter.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:23 PM   #22
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Are really not able to notice what a massive departure 125 is from the rest of Campbell's run? Technically yes, there is no factual proof that Campbell wasn't the sole writer on 125 as is the official credit, but if you have the slightest ability to analyse the content you'd notice the whiplash here. Why would the same exact writer do the same thing for two years straight and then completely change nearly all of her stylistic choices in a single issue? Of course I can't say for absolute certainty that was a ghost writer involved, it's the sort of thing we're not meant know but we can infer it.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:44 PM   #23
jestergoblin
Mad Scientist

I don't think IDW is going to exist in 6 years.

They've been selling (their entire tourism arm) and closing business units (they left the board game industry) non-stop the last few years just to stay afloat.

There has been so much turnover in their leadership the last two years - too many people are leaving for it to be a good sign.
jestergoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:44 PM   #24
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
That was perhaps poorly worded but consider the context though; why would anyone accept a job ghost writing to cover up someone else's bad work? Why would anyone let a 'bad' writer's name be put on work that they've put time and effort into?
Gee, that's a toughie... What kind of person has bills to pay and is happy to get a paycheck for something they know by definition won't stain their reputation?
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:10 PM   #25
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
why would anyone accept a job
Seriously, dude?
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:35 PM   #26
AquaParade
Banned

I hope so. I haven't read the book in ages, but I love that they are keeping the train going. Whether or not I hop back on, I love that it's one of the few comics that has kept it's numbering.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:42 PM   #27
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

If it keeps going the way it's been going, along with IDW in general, probably not. I'd love it if it did, or it least I would have 2 years ago. Now, I'm kind of split between wanting it to just die already so we can stop dealing with all this woke crap, and not wanting it to end because it would annoy me if there was no ending, on top of the slim hope that it might recover. But I feel like I know better at this point than to hope for something like that.
Zog The Magnificent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:00 PM   #28
Leo656
The Franchise

Jesus. Every time one of the Tumblristas who make up the "brand new audience" for Campbell's TMNT run pipes up, it only reaffirms my position that this fanbase needs a LOT more elitism and gatekeeping, not less.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:42 PM   #29
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Seriously, dude?
That's out of context and anyone writing for a long running comic book is going to be at least somewhat established or known in the industry already and unlikely to be doing it 'just for the money', they'll want to make a bigger name for themselves to bring in more writing jobs so again ghostwriting in this fashion is self-defeating.

and the 'woke/ sjw' nonsense everyone keeps peddling isn't going anywhere; all media follows the current trends of what is popular to get them the biggest audience to make them the most money and if it means being 'woke' or including 'sjw' stuff then that's what they'll do.

Last edited by hypered1; 01-25-2022 at 05:58 PM.
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:44 PM   #30
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Sophie Campbell does have a history of writing a certain way. I know that I have been able to pick out her issues that she was leading up before she took over on 100, and that she continued into 124. Its possible that she had a ghost writer or someone working with her to set things up in 125. Its also possible that there were barriers stopping her from writing certain things that have been moved out of the way because of staffing changes.

All of that is possible.

Regardless of that, 125 is in her name. Its a solid issue, and probably the best one that we have had since 100. New plots here hatched, Casey Jones is acting like a badass again, a new plot that feels like it might belong in both the TMNT we want and Mutant Town is starting. Im not going to bitch about it.

Thank you for a good issue, Sophie!
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:54 PM   #31
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut810 View Post
Its possible that she had a ghost writer or someone working with her to set things up in 125. Its also possible that there were barriers stopping her from writing certain things that have been moved out of the way because of staffing changes.
THIS.
It was said long ago that Sophie was restricted in what she was allowed to write by those above her - she wanted Raph to take out Hob's good eye remember?

Like Andrew said, people on here have got seriously short memories or permanent blinkers on and these same people need to accept that not everything right or wrong about the series lies at Sophie's feet.
Old 01-25-2022, 05:58 PM   #32
Leo656
The Franchise

Campbell's also a notorious liar but I'm sure that's just incidental.

Old 01-25-2022, 06:00 PM   #33
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Campbell's also a notorious liar but I'm sure that's just incidental.
I'd ask you to provide evidence but considering that you've never actually succeeded in providing any for any other allegation or assumption when I've asked in the past there's little point in me asking now.
But then you do have quite the reputation for spouting nonsense that has no basis in reality or factual backing so there's nothing new there then.
Old 01-25-2022, 06:35 PM   #34
Leo656
The Franchise

How cute. It speaks at me. It thinks it's people.

Old 01-25-2022, 06:37 PM   #35
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
How cute. It speaks at me. It thinks it's people.

What the real f?!?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:40 PM   #36
Leo656
The Franchise

I think messing with triggered1 is gonna be my new full-time forum position.

I can tell from the posting style they're either a woman OR a man-bun wearing soy-boy, and in either case those simply aren't people you speak to with respect. Just as a general rule.

It will learn. It will learn the hard way, if necessary.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:02 PM   #37
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
the 'woke/ sjw' nonsense everyone keeps peddling isn't going anywhere; all media follows the current trends of what is popular to get them the biggest audience to make them the most money and if it means being 'woke' or including 'sjw' stuff then that's what they'll do.
I don't know. Is woke stuff actually popular? Everyone I know either hate it or just don't care about it. Is there real people out there who actually appreciate products filled with woke elements? I mean, real people you can meet on the street, outside of social media.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:19 PM   #38
Leo656
The Franchise

Nope. Real-life people recognize it as a marketing trend, same as any other. It's an unfortunate side-effect of the fact that nowadays you get tons more word-of-mouth from a Tweet than you would with a commercial. As such, companies think that it's "good business" to pander to the interests of people who spend all their time online... Which, as it turns out, are predominantly overweight, rainbow-haired, perpetually-offended, sexually-confused, easily-triggered, Gender Studies Majors and other (barely) high-functioning social misfits.

That's who's online all the time, sharing Tweets and memes and "making themselves heard", and so in turn, companies feel forced to pander to them. Because it SEEMS like there's a lot of them, but the thing is, they're just incredibly loud. As we see in Real Life by how most "woke"-infested movies fail hard, the growing number of lawsuits nationwide to stop letting schools indoctrinate impressionable kids with their nonsense, and the fact that people really, REALLY love Chick-Fil-A, MOST people are definitely NOT on the bandwagon.

Companies are slowly coming around to this. By now they've figured out that most of these people don't have real jobs and are barely scraping by under the crushing debt of their Liberal Arts degrees, and so in turn it makes no sense to bend over for them.

Old 01-26-2022, 12:08 AM   #39
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I think messing with triggered1 is gonna be my new full-time forum position.

I can tell from the posting style they're either a woman OR a man-bun wearing soy-boy, and in either case those simply aren't people you speak to with respect. Just as a general rule.

It will learn. It will learn the hard way, if necessary.
As I have in fact said previously, I'm a straight white guy with a shaven head. You're still batting 0/1000 chump.
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:21 AM   #40
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
As I have in fact said previously, I'm a straight white guy with a shaven head. You're still batting 0/1000 chump.
I don't want to weigh in on this much and I have no axe to grind with you... but I feel like I should point out the obvious that straight white guys (I don't see how the shaven head is relevant either way, or inherently some kind of "white power" angle if that's what you're suggesting being probably the 0.0001% reason dudes shave their heads) are probably the top perpetrators of what Leo is more or less suggesting, beaten out only by straight white women. You know, from this weird sense that they need to speak out for and defend and get justice for all of the groups/people/races that somehow can't do so for themselves and need their help, plus with the caveat of getting high fives from the similarly minded to reinforce that they're fighting the good fight. Most other ethnicities don't care about this stuff aside from loud pockets here or there.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote