The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-08-2021, 04:38 PM   #3661
Storm Eagle
Saved by

The Outsiders - The Complete Novel

The theatrical version was released on DVD, and then the complete novel, which is the extended version, was also released on DVD. The complete novel was also the only one released on Blu-ray. The 4K release includes both versions, and I'm very happy about that.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #3662
IMJ
Emperor

Duuuddeee! The Outsiders! I haven't read that book or seen that movie in decades. I can't believe it got a 4k release!

I might track that one down...... talk to me about the transfer? Did it bring the aging film quality up? If you had to put a year of filming the transfer brought it up to as compared to the year of release, what would it be?

You know the Outsiders also had a decent but very short lived show I think on Fox decades ago as well......
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:26 AM   #3663
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Duuuddeee! The Outsiders! I haven't read that book or seen that movie in decades. I can't believe it got a 4k release!

I might track that one down...... talk to me about the transfer? Did it bring the aging film quality up? If you had to put a year of filming the transfer brought it up to as compared to the year of release, what would it be?

You know the Outsiders also had a decent but very short lived show I think on Fox decades ago as well......
It's one of the few books I actually enjoyed reading for school, and it was assigned to me as an incoming freshman.

The transfer is actually pretty good. My only complaint is that it's missing one special feature from the Blu-ray release, although there's a version released in the UK that has all of those special features.

I can't believe it has a 4K release now either. Especially the theatrical cut. It was criminal for it to not have an HD release.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:12 PM   #3664
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I talked a lot of crap about this movie and I am still not a big fan of the director. But at $9.96 black friday prices and I have MOS and BVS I figured lets just get it

Old 11-12-2021, 01:37 PM   #3665
IMJ
Emperor

Watched the first Underworld flick last night from the 4k boxed set. The picture and sound were incredibly well done in 4k. I don't even know what to say - I can't imagine that it's not reference quality it's so well done. It's got this perfect balance of grain, detail, color saturation, all of it. In the right calibration it looks like reference quality film.

I still have to watch the remainder of the set, but right away the first one is so well done that it's a system show-off disc. Super recommended.
Old 11-12-2021, 02:20 PM   #3666
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
The theatrical version was released on DVD, and then the complete novel, which is the extended version, was also released on DVD. The complete novel was also the only one released on Blu-ray. The 4K release includes both versions, and I'm very happy about that.
It's hard for me to wrap my head around any movie calling itself "The Complete Novel."

I hate to admit it, but I've never seen any version of The Outsiders.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 05:53 PM   #3667
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
It's hard for me to wrap my head around any movie calling itself "The Complete Novel."

I hate to admit it, but I've never seen any version of The Outsiders.
What do you mean by what you say about the complete novel thing? Anyway, if you haven't read the book, I'd suggest doing that first before you look at the movie, natch.

As for my purchase...The Outsiders - The Complete Novel (again).

This is the UK variant from Studio Canal. Their version comes with 2 movie posters, five art cards, a CD soundtrack, a pin, and a 64-page booklet. I originally just wanted this for the booklet, but since this set happens to have one special feature that the Warner Bros. release is missing, and was on the Blu-ray, I'll most likely have this version replace it. It's a good thing that most 4K discs aren't region coded, although it has two Blu-rays that are coded to region B. That's fine since the Warner Bros. release doesn't have Blu-rays anyway. This set also takes up as much space as three regular 4K cases.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:02 PM   #3668
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

Yeah no kidding about the movies section being so small these days. I went to Best Buy and they had one big rack, double sided of Blu-ray’s and 4K….that’s it. Heck, they had more toys there than movies lol
TMNTFanatic4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:41 AM   #3669
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTFanatic4Life View Post
Yeah no kidding about the movies section being so small these days. I went to Best Buy and they had one big rack, double sided of Blu-ray’s and 4K….that’s it. Heck, they had more toys there than movies lol
Yup. Remember when it was like....geeze I dunno... 8 aisles and several floating kiosks?

And even then there were still better days. Tower Records, anyone?
Old 11-14-2021, 06:22 PM   #3670
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Yup. Remember when it was like....geeze I dunno... 8 aisles and several floating kiosks?

And even then there were still better days. Tower Records, anyone?

Can’t remember exactly the last time I been in a Best Buy before yesterday (I usually order movies and tv show sets online) but it definitely was the time when there were several aisles of movies lol

I went to Walmart today to see if I could take advantage of their 9.96 sale….got Batwoman Season 2 and Supernatural Season 15 on DVD. Oh and the Snyder Cut of Justice League on Blu-ray all for 9.96 plus tax each. Last couple of years I’ve waited until Black Friday to buy movies and shows for the great sales lol
Old 11-17-2021, 07:31 PM   #3671
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

more black friday deals

Old 11-17-2021, 07:41 PM   #3672
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

Got Flash season 7 on DVD at Walmart for 10.51 total that includes tax
Old 11-17-2021, 08:04 PM   #3673
IMJ
Emperor

Ghost In The Shell in 4k looks outright amazing. I couldn't believe that 4k could do any more for the animation, but it does in that case.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:37 PM   #3674
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

DC Animated Justice Society WW 2. Always try and support the batman less titles.

Superman Aquaman Wonder Woman Black Canary Jay Garrick and Barry Allen Flash Black Canary Dr Fate and Hawkman Hourman are all in this

Old 11-27-2021, 07:19 PM   #3675
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Old 11-30-2021, 07:35 PM   #3676
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I missed some Nintendo Cartoon Animated Universe discussion that I accidentally found so I'm reviving a conversation from the previous thread so I hope no one minds.

Quote:
I finally snagged a vintage copy of Captain N: The Game Master "The Complete Series" off ebay. I'm shocked at the prices those old DVDs of the DiC video game cartoons go for nowadays!
http://i.imgur.com/1nE1TZyl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/W6HGY8Wl.jpg
Does Nintendo hold any rights to these shows? I remember I once read from BrianW of Shout that Nintendo had to approve the artwork but not much more than that, I would think Nintendo has no say regarding the release of these things but I guess they could've held on to some distribution rights.

Quote:
This is one of those series that I'd love to pick up and have fond memories of, but I'm afraid that if I do it will be another example of a cartoon that I can't get through an episode of anymore and ruin the memory....
I never really watched as a kid but when I finally got to watch in in the mid 00s as a teen I thought Captain N was a great tribute to Nintendo Yeah, most of the time it's not 100% accurate to the games that they visit but it's so cool to see all the different game worlds they cover. It's wacky, it's fun it's 80s Nintendo.

Quote:
(LOVED Super Mario cartoons though)
Which one is your favorite? I also enjoy
the three mario cartoons, but super mario show tends to be bit boring, I much prefered the live action segments with all the cool celebrity cameos they had. Bros 3 is my favorite. World is just bizarre if I remember maybe the worst but since it's so short that I don't mind that the badness and just enjoy the weirdness of it all.

Quote:
That's awesome.... I would love to sit through the Zelda show. I almost never caught those as a kid. IIRC, they only aired on Friday's during the Mario show or something like that and I saw only a few episodes.
It's very 80s but the zelda cartoon is a good adaptation, the fact that it's only like 11 minutes per episode helps you not get bored since the episode finishes before it can get boring. The "Excuse me princess" is not that annoying like internet memes make it out to be. In fact because of the memes it makes it more enjoyable.

Quote:
although I think most of them lack some of the original special features, in addition to missing some live-action segments on Zelda and maybe some of the Super Mario Super Show. Many of the shows are also available for digital purchase (or subscription service) on Amazon Prime Video or VUDU, and maybe Netflix.
did the DVDs have any good special features?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
What killed me about watching the Super Mario Bros. Super Show on DVD, was that I'd forgotten how many of the original episodes used real licensed songs during certain scenes, all of which were dubbed over for the DVD with the instrumental rip-off version of "Beat It". Like almost EVERY episode on the DVDs had that song in it, and I'm like "WTF is this?" And then someone smartened me up that the original show actually used "Beat It", and a few other licensed songs, and that since they couldn't use any of them for the DVD release they just made one "cover version" and used it anywhere a real song had ever been used. SUPER annoying.
The first time I watched the cartoons were the DVD music censored versions so I just assumed it's the song they used everywhere. I think that song has a specific name but can't remember. I liked it because it sounded more "video gamey".
When I rewatched the shows with the original songs they sounded weird because they are not the original versions but some cheap covers. Theo only thing they had going for them is he cover songs usually fit the theme of the episodes so they were consistent with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Future Robot Daltanious

https://i.imgur.com/fv1GD4b.jpg?1

It's the anime that World Events Productions wanted for Lion Voltron, but they were accidentally sent GoLion instead. They went with it anyway, and it proved to be a major success. So I thought I'd see how Daltanious works now that it's out on home video.
Looks like a Mazinger Z rip off from the cover art, how is the show?
I always wonder how they would've done Gladiator Voltron from Lightspeed ElectroGod Albegas.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:43 PM   #3677
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Last 2 I picked up on a whim:

Found at Dollar General.

Walmart exclusive, found at Big Lots

Bought them because I have kids who love them and they come with extras, though to be fair the Emmet's Piece Offering set we bought for them years ago. Gave it to my Niece.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:13 PM   #3678
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Beavis and Butt-head Do America
The Karate Kid Collection
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

This is my final home video haul of the year. I actually didn't get a single thing on DVD this year. Only one movie I had on DVD got a Blu-ray release this year, and ten movies I had on Blu-ray got 4K releases this year.
Old 12-26-2021, 10:24 PM   #3679
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Christmas Haul from yesterday I got Superman The Animated Series on Blu Ray
Old 12-28-2021, 03:28 PM   #3680
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Done with the DCAU