The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-28-2018, 12:53 PM   #301
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Well- yes? I mean, most really good anime or manga have believable, realistic characters. Cowboy Bebop, for instance. Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Ninja Scroll, Biohunter, Wolf's Rain, and a host of others. Heck, Robotech has some of the best character development out there.

And plot. Without a real, solid plotline, all you really have is endless, repetitive fights sprinkled with some bland and cheesy banter/threat type dialog.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:58 PM   #302
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Yeah, I like Dragon Ball as much as the next guy. But "pinnacle of anime storytelling"? That's just laughable.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:58 PM   #303
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Well- yes? I mean, most really good anime or manga have believable, realistic characters. Cowboy Bebop, for instance. Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Ninja Scroll, Biohunter, Wolf's Rain, and a host of others. Heck, Robotech has some of the best character development out there.

And plot. Without a real, solid plotline, all you really have is endless, repetitive fights sprinkled with some bland and cheesy banter/threat type dialog.
Those weren't Shonen, though. And even so, back then, the aforementioned shows didn't sacrifice or tone down the action to make room for character development, like say the 2005 version of Guyver or Sonic X.

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:57 PM   #304
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchistguy View Post
Those weren't Shonen, though. And even so, back then, the aforementioned shows didn't sacrifice or tone down the action to make room for character development, like say the 2005 version of Guyver or Sonic X.

That's because they didn't NEED to. They blended the action seemlessly as part of the plot and character development, there was no sacrifice there because the action was not the entire point of the anime, it was just part of the overall story. DB just- isn't the same style of anime storytelling. Like, AT ALL. So, yeah, those aren't Shonen, they were made for a more mature and sophisticated audience. Shonen is by definition anime intended for younger audiences. Less complex.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:27 PM   #305
Allio
Foot Elite

If you want a shounen that is much better than DBZ look no further than Yuyu Hakusho,
Old 08-28-2018, 08:09 PM   #306
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
That's because they didn't NEED to. They blended the action seemlessly as part of the plot and character development, there was no sacrifice there because the action was not the entire point of the anime, it was just part of the overall story. DB just- isn't the same style of anime storytelling. Like, AT ALL. So, yeah, those aren't Shonen, they were made for a more mature and sophisticated audience. Shonen is by definition anime intended for younger audiences. Less complex.
That wasn't my point.

1) Comparing an 80s shonen anime to 90s Seinen OVAs is comparing apples to oranges. Its pointless.

2)My point was that I wanted to say that its ok to turn your brain off and enjoy the ride. Thats how you enjoy 80S Shonen shows liKe DBZ, HnK and JJBA. They're basically Saturday morning cartoons with blood. Not every everything has to be deep and philosophical. You're more than welcome to disagree, but it's my opinion.

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:41 PM   #307
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
If you want a shounen that is much better than DBZ look no further than Yuyu Hakusho,

Absolutely. Yuyu is far and away better as both a Shounen and in terms of story and character, which, I should add are two of the main pillars of writing ANYTHING, whether manga, movie script, or novel. As a writer myself, those are two of the things I look for in a manga or anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchistguy View Post
That wasn't my point.

1) Comparing an 80s shonen anime to 90s Seinen OVAs is comparing apples to oranges. Its pointless.

2)My point was that I wanted to say that its ok to turn your brain off and enjoy the ride. Thats how you enjoy 80S Shonen shows liKe DBZ, HnK and JJBA. They're basically Saturday morning cartoons with blood. Not every everything has to be deep and philosophical. You're more than welcome to disagree, but it's my opinion.

And that's fine. Never said everything HAS to be deep or philosophical- just intelligent, at least. I don't mind a big cheesy slugfest on occasion, but for some of us, there needs to be more than just repetitive action without any real plot or resolution. Every DB ep I've ever watched reads like a series of fights with some cornball fight dialog for more conflict, tons of "thought-bubble" voice-overs for "drama", and maybe a scene or two of "normal life" thrown in. The characters just keep fighting each other over a set of magic marbles. It gets boring.

Was trying to point to the contrast between those two styles, not compare them as equal- that was sort of implied as the point there. No, they are not the same, for the reasons just given. But where there are plenty of other shounen series I love, where DB loses me is in simplistic storytelling compared to others. Heck, even Pokemon has at least a little more variety. But DB fans seem to think it is the pinnacle of great anime. It's really not.

See above comment for an example of what I mean. Yuyu Hakusho is a prime example. See also: Inuyasha, Shaman King, Naruto, Cardcaptor Sakura, Yu-Gi-Oh(the manga more than the anime), One Piece, etc.... all great shounen mangas/anime, but with way more to offer than DB. For that matter, various other genra types like Negima, Ah! My Goddess, or Fruits Basket or any of a dozen others in similar vein. Hardly deep or philosophical (at least most of the time), but entertaining on more than just a visceral level. Going to sound weird here, but one of my absolute favorite anime is Princess Tutu, due to the beautiful score, the creative and original story, and the really good character development. It's visually very pretty, and while less "action" than many, what it does have action-wise is stunningly gorgeous and intense. Takes the idea of a dance-battle to a whole new level, lol!

Old 08-29-2018, 08:33 PM   #308
Allio
Foot Elite

got around to finally watching No Game, No Life 0 as well as Your Name

both are fine. Can't wait until the seveth volume of NGNL to get translated.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:13 PM   #309
Allio
Foot Elite

Started reading Saint Seiya (yeah, Jump Force confirmation got me to really start the series)
and started watching both Steins Gate as well as Re:Creators
Old 01-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #310
Allio
Foot Elite

just started reading the manga Beastars and caught up today (111 chapters as of now) and it is just so, so good. If you liked Zootopia you will enjoy this one.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:36 PM   #311
Prowler
Emperor

Been slowly trying to get back into anime/manga in the last few days. Been watching/reading some One Piece and watched an Aria episode. Have 2 episodes left of the latter. Then might pick something else.

I'm a bit behind on OP, naturally, since I hadn't followed it since like 2013. I'm currently on:
Spoiler:
Punk Hazard

And in the manga I'm even more behind, I'm in:
Spoiler:
Skypiea, still.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:31 PM   #312
Allio
Foot Elite

Just saw the film Maquia. Really,really good film. Always a sucker for these mother/son stories.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:47 AM   #313
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Anyone here likes Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust and Wolf Children?

Two excellent fantasy films from Madhouse studios as VHD Bloodlust is one of Kawajari's finest films besides Ninja Scroll, Wicked City and some others as it's a sequel that surpasses the first film and is loaded with thrills, dazzling animation and action and heart.

Wolf Children is Beauty and the Beast and Shape of Water meets Ghibli about a human woman and a wolf-man who fall in love and produce 2 hybrid kids as she must take care of them. Quite a powerful and unique fantasy drama that is a slice of life story.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #314
Sumac
Banned

And another bait.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #315
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Okay, I've feel that've been silent long enough.
So, here it goes.

I feel that anime and manga are decreasing in quality.

Mainly, the fanservice is what kills it for me. The objectification, the oversexualization - all of that just ruins the whole experience.
It really is all about sexualizing the bodies of women and girls, however young/old they are. Just look at Momo Yaoyorozu.

It's disgustingly disturbing, but somehow, it has an ever-increasing presence in Japanese media.

It really disappoints me as a viewer/reader.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:37 PM   #316
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Funnily enough, I was reading an interview with one of the makers of the Pokemon anime, who admitted that the main reason for adding a girl protagonist (Misty, May) was to be fanservice for young boys

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #317
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Funnily enough, I was reading an interview with one of the makers of the Pokemon anime, who admitted that the main reason for adding a girl protagonist (Misty, May) was to be fanservice for young boys

Aren't they like ten, though?

That's disturbing ...
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #318
Allio
Foot Elite

Read the manga Voyitch Hotel. Pretty great, its a bit of a dark comedy.
Getting back into reading Kaguya-sama Love is War, the opening is great.

Diner just got some new chapters so I've been enjoying them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
So, here it goes.

Mainly, the fanservice is what kills it for me. The objectification, the oversexualization - all of that just ruins the whole experience.
It really is all about sexualizing the bodies of women and girls, however young/old they are. Just look at Momo Yaoyorozu.

It's disgustingly disturbing, but somehow, it has an ever-increasing presence in Japanese media.

I'd hardly call MOMO "sexualized." Sexualization always comes from intention, just because a woman shows some boob doesn't automatically mean it's "sexualized" I mean, do you really think a woman breatfeeding a child is "sexy."

Momo's skinship is from her powers using her skin as weapons so she does need direct access to her flesh. Considering Momo is the only girl that shows any form of skin (Midnight even just wears skin colored suit) and the series doen't even go about it showing it in a sexy way. The only scene in Hero academia is at the beginning with MT. Lady where she, an adult, enlarged, shows her butt so that she can get herself some brownie points. None of the UA female students has been put into a position that is considered "fanservice," hell the Midoriya, Bakugou, and Zuko are the only ones and that was with that audio drama recently.

It's kind of like Holo in Spice and wolf. sure she shows up naked at the beginning but just being naked doesn't make it "sexual" but of course that depends on the viewer I suppose.

And of course if you don't want "ecchi" or something like that you can easily find series that doesn't have it. The series I mentioned above doesn't have any form of skin ship, save for one scene in the "Voyitch Hotel" but that is after two adults have sex.

Hell. One of my favorite series called "Franken Fran" doesn't have fanservice in it. It's just really gory.

Hell. You can find harem without fanserice. There is a good one called "Quintessential Quintuplets:

Last edited by Allio; 03-09-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #319
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Been watching a ton of Anime and reading some Manga these past few months. I'm mostly drawn to Slice of Life and comedy shows, although I will watch other genres occasionally.

I tend to be mostly drawn to shows that not a lot of people love. I love Darling in the Franxx and really enjoyed Sword Art Online (only seen first season so far, and in terms of a fantasy RPG type show, I much preferred Konosuba in all aspects other than the Animation quality)

EDIT: Judging by how popular Anime is, wouldn't this be better as a Sticky thread?
Old 03-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #320
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
So, here it goes.

So you have deleted your original post that was before mine and reposted it, so it looks like I respond to nothingness, huh?

Something tells me, that you don't like when people don't notice you, my dear.

Also, why anyone would care about your ****** taste in anime?
There are lots of shows without fanservice, but the fact that you and people like you, only notice those with fanservice, means that either you aren't genuine in your concerns and just want to cause maximum OUTRAGE or you just specifically watch shows with fanservice and complain about it later.

Also, what's this outrage of yours should accomplish here and now?
This is not forum of people who make anime and manga. Go, cry to Japanese. Tell me later if they will care about you Mormonic ways.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote