The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Which version of Shredder do you prefer?
Mirage/image shredder 5 20.83%
Archie Shredder 3 12.50%
IDW shredder 16 66.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
Toxin45
Hench Mutant

Which version of shredder do you prefer?

So which version of shredder the arch-enemy of the tmnt in the comics you like?

Mirage/image shredder- basically the Orginal incarnation only appears in a few issues and had alternative versions Raphael shredder,lady shredder,Doctor shredderous,and oroku yoshi.he was brought back as. He was revived in a clone body with all his memory's intact both his life and after his death in issue 1,then died again in issue 21, and then came back as shark shredder in volume 2 of tales of the tmnt.

Archie shredder- loosely based on the 1987 shredder he had more appearances than mirage shredder and was one of the main villains in the series.

IDW Shredder- the modern incarnation is much more competnet and badass than his previous comic incarnations has been alive since feudal Japan and had his own series even one where he is trying to survive in hell.
So which version of shredder is your favorite?

Last edited by Toxin45; 02-06-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Toxin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I prefer the Mirage Foot Clan, as it has a much more interesting take on the cycle of violence and the Turtles all being trapped by it...

But you gotta give it to IDW Shredder, decapitating little kids in Feudal Japan. That's an evil motherfvcker right there.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #3
Igglet

I find that the "cycle of violence and the Turtles all being trapped by it" is absolutely a major theme in IDW, maybe in different ways to Mirage but it's all there. And honestly, I don't think there's much of a competition between which Shredder was the most compelling villain. The IDW Shredder is really the only one with an actual personality.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post
I find that the "cycle of violence and the Turtles all being trapped by it" is absolutely a major theme in IDW, maybe in different ways to Mirage but it's all there. And honestly, I don't think there's much of a competition between which Shredder was the most compelling villain. The IDW Shredder is really the only one with an actual personality.
It is, but it's different. I like the Mirage version more, but I love that IDW is the only other media I know of that has also rooted the TMNT deeply into a cycle of violence that they really have little to no control over.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Mirage Shredder (I like that he felt like a real person with believable motivations, like with a real day job where he runs the Foot like a business) and IDW Shredder I can even dig (in fact, I like IDW Shredder way more than I like the IDW TMNT). Even Archie Shredder to a certain extent, particularly what Murphy did with him later into things.

The rest? Absurd. FW Shredder is an unabashed, literal joke and 4Kids Shredder is 2D, just eeeeevil for eeeevil's sake doing eeeeevil things just because. I don't mind the Nicktoon Shredder except for a design that went way too far and he's just not believable to me. He just sits in that building brooding, 24/7? Meh. 1990 movie Shredder is OK but I don't like the Captain Hook/Neverland stuff tacked onto him.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:10 PM   #6
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
It is, but it's different. I like the Mirage version more, but I love that IDW is the only other media I know of that has also rooted the TMNT deeply into a cycle of violence that they really have little to no control over.
I can get behind that, yeah, they're both doing a similar thing in very different ways (though with City at War coming up some more similarities might pop up), and I don't think either is objectively better, it just comes down to personal preference.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:44 PM   #7
pferreira
Foot Elite

Voted Mirage Shredder, no option to choose FW Shredder otherwise would have picked him.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #8
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Mirage Shredder (I like that he felt like a real person with believable motivations, like with a real day job where he runs the Foot like a business) and IDW Shredder I can even dig (in fact, I like IDW Shredder way more than I like the IDW TMNT). Even Archie Shredder to a certain extent, particularly what Murphy did with him later into things.

The rest? Absurd. FW Shredder is an unabashed, literal joke and 4Kids Shredder is 2D, just eeeeevil for eeeevil's sake doing eeeeevil things just because. I don't mind the Nicktoon Shredder except for a design that went way too far and he's just not believable to me. He just sits in that building brooding, 24/7? Meh. 1990 movie Shredder is OK but I don't like the Captain Hook/Neverland stuff tacked onto him.
I've never thought about movie Shredder that way, but I totally get it. I actually really enjoy that aspect, but I see where you're coming from.

IDW Shredder is indeed awesome, despite me having mixed feelings on the series, overall.

Nailed it with 2k3 Shredder. He feels like a cardboard cutout. I'll give them credit for the C'hrell angle. Not my favorite, but an inspired way to both surprise a savvy audience and flub a bit of censorship.

FW Shredder is ridiculous and I love him for it.

Mirage Shredder is top-dog. I can't separate him from the legacy and influence he holds over multiple sagas. Sure, he dies in the first issue, but his influence carries on in exciting ways. And he was a total badass in that issue #10 foldout sequence.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #9
ChosenOne
Banned

IDW Shredder is by far the most fleshed out of them all, so...
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #10
Toxin45
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I've never thought about movie Shredder that way, but I totally get it. I actually really enjoy that aspect, but I see where you're coming from.

IDW Shredder is indeed awesome, despite me having mixed feelings on the series, overall.

Nailed it with 2k3 Shredder. He feels like a cardboard cutout. I'll give them credit for the C'hrell angle. Not my favorite, but an inspired way to both surprise a savvy audience and flub a bit of censorship.

FW Shredder is ridiculous and I love him for it.

Mirage Shredder is top-dog. I can't separate him from the legacy and influence he holds over multiple sagas. Sure, he dies in the first issue, but his influence carries on in exciting ways. And he was a total badass in that issue #10 foldout sequence.
Well too be fair he did came back from the dead twice since he retained his memories as a clone that technically counts as a resurrection.
Toxin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Voted Mirage Shredder, no option to choose FW Shredder otherwise would have picked him.
Well, it IS a comic-based poll in the Comics section. One might assume that non-comics versions are irrelevant to this specific poll.

Tough one, by the way, since I've barely read any IDW. I think Archie Shredder wins by default, since he physically showed up more than once and was generally good at being kind of a prick.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #12
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

I don't like Shredder getting his butt kicked by the turtles too often. That can make him a joke even if he starts out deadly.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

I personally imagine he'd be a rather aggressive and sinister fellow. I rather like it when he's tough to beat unless the heroes work collectively. Maybe Leo could handle him solo, on a perfect day, but even that probably doesn't make much sense. At least early on.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:10 PM   #14
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I rather like it when he's tough to beat unless the heroes work collectively.
The Fred Wolf cartoon and Archie comics were very strict with that early. Sometimes one of the turtles would deliver a surprising punch or kick and then get away from him, but never defeat him in a long-lasting fight.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:13 PM   #15
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
IDW Shredder is by far the most fleshed out of them all, so...
Pretty much my reasoning too. He's more reigned in, but he also has his own ambition while also being played like a marionette for purposes beyond his reasoning. He's very much a man stuck in his time, but is made a greater threat out of it rather than being made a fool for it because he came from a time before electricity. (Same with Yoshi for that matter).
Old 02-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #16
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Pretty much my reasoning too. He's more reigned in, but he also has his own ambition while also being played like a marionette for purposes beyond his reasoning. He's very much a man stuck in his time, but is made a greater threat out of it rather than being made a fool for it because he came from a time before electricity. (Same with Yoshi for that matter).
This might seem silly, but I love those little moments when the two of them interact with or comment on modern day commodities and technology from the viewpoint of 1600's people brought forward in time. How they adapt to that and integrate it into their mindset makes for great character building.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:25 AM   #17
neatoman
Emperor

I had to think about this but I have to go with IDW Shredder. Mirage Shredder isn't exactly a bad character but he's like 7 issues out of 200+, there's hardly anything to talk about and almost half of those display him as a shark monster. IDW Shredder simply has a lot more development.

Archie Shredder is just FW Shredder if he never turned into a straight up clown. He's not even on my radar.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #18
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I had to think about this but I have to go with IDW Shredder. Mirage Shredder isn't exactly a bad character but he's like 7 issues out of 200+, there's hardly anything to talk about and almost half of those display him as a shark monster. IDW Shredder simply has a lot more development.

Archie Shredder is just FW Shredder if he never turned into a straight up clown. He's not even on my radar.
The first issue is least good at explaining why he is a bad guy.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:53 PM   #19
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
The Fred Wolf cartoon and Archie comics were very strict with that early. Sometimes one of the turtles would deliver a surprising punch or kick and then get away from him, but never defeat him in a long-lasting fight.
As a rule of thumb the TMNT were never allowed to defeat Shredder unless it was part of an episode plot as things have to be reset back to how they started for the next episode. This allowed the show to be episodic, unlike the other iterations where if you missed an episode or comic you were screwed.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shredder, tmnt