The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-19-2022, 10:12 AM   #21
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I mean, the Nick Toon had Don crushing on April throughout the series. I'm pretty sure she even kissed him at some point.
Oh, barf. Why’d you have to bring that up?
Old 09-19-2022, 10:13 AM   #22
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, I personally don't give a sh*t what people are into, especially with cartoons or other fictional characters. I'm not creeped out if a girl (or guy) wants to f*ck a Ninja Turtle because hey, it's not like they're ever gonna GET to anyways, so who honestly gives a sh*t?

BUT, some people do care, and they're defensive/shy, so we end up with humanized TMNT and MLP characters even though that completely undermines the point and the spirit of the material. "Get this, what if these characters were... Regular People!" Well, now we've pretty much lost 99% of the reason to care, haven't we?

I'unno.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:20 AM   #23
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Oh, barf. Why’d you have to bring that up?
Sorry lol

And yeah I'm not a fan of that either. I don't like romance involving the Turtles, let alone romance between the Turtles and April or other humans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yeah, I personally don't give a sh*t what people are into, especially with cartoons or other fictional characters. I'm not creeped out if a girl (or guy) wants to f*ck a Ninja Turtle because hey, it's not like they're ever gonna GET to anyways, so who honestly gives a sh*t?

BUT, some people do care, and they're defensive/shy, so we end up with humanized TMNT and MLP characters even though that completely undermines the point and the spirit of the material. "Get this, what if these characters were... Regular People!" Well, now we've pretty much lost 99% of the reason to care, haven't we?

I'unno.
A lot of anime fans nowadays also are getting picker and giving fans slack for finding underage anime girls hot. Even if those underage anime girls look pretty grown up. Like Momo Yaoyorozu from My Hero Academia and Rebecca from One Piece. They're both 16 but clearly could be 18 as well and no one would find it surprising.

I think it's stupid to care so much about the arbitrary ages of cartoon and video game characters. Some of the Dead or Alive girls are also 15-17 iirc. Which is why they get aged up in non-Japanese translations.

My only issue is with guys who like lolis. Anime girls who clearly look like children. Now that's creepy and gross. But guys who are into 16-17 year old anime girls with giant boobs? Don't care.

Last edited by Prowler; 09-19-2022 at 10:25 AM.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:32 AM   #24
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
And yeah I'm not a fan of that either. I don't like romance involving the Turtles, let alone romance between the Turtles and April or other humans.
I am if it's done WELL, but it generally hasn't been in most media and the Nicktoon attempt was AWFUL.

I mean romance is a part of life and the Turtles are the only 4 of their kind. Realistically, they'd be miserable and downright suicidal (as many people are) if they were doomed to never experience a romantic relationship. After money, lack of companionship is the leading external cause of depression among most people, and I don't see how the Turtles would be any different since they have "human brains" for the most part, other than they know for a fact they'd never be with anyone exactly like them. But as we've seen in various media, including Mirage, that wouldn't stop them from trying to basically get whatever they could get. By definition, any relationship they'd have would be "inter-species", but it's never stopped any of them from trying.

Like no, the entire book/movie/show shouldn't grind to a halt to focus on the characters making kissy-face above all else, but the Archie book did a good job with the Raph/Ninjara relationship to illustrate that you CAN do it without "ruining" or overshadowing the rest of what's going on. Ninjara/Raph was only ever a subplot, and things happened "around" it but it wasn't given the main focus.

So I'm fine with it being done WELL. It just usually is not done well, it's usually done pretty badly. In Nick's case, VERY badly. So I do understand why some people would prefer it never come up at all. Personally I think that's a bit myopic, but I get where they're coming from. They've not seen much "proof" that it can be done in a satisfying manner.

Considering that a Nick cartoon could never actually show one of the Turtles in a "relationship" with April, the fact they even made April/Don a recurring plot point - and had it take up SO much real estate - was insipid and a huge reason I tuned out of the show early on. It was SO bad and the rest of the show wasn't good enough to keep me watching outside of that.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:34 AM   #25
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Sorry lol

It’s cool. We can’t deny that it ever happened after all.

And regarding human-turtle romance, I can’t remember whether it was Eastman or Laid who said that he wasn’t a big fan of that kind of relationship either. I still cringe at the image of Leo and Radical kissing in issue #41 of Tales Of TMNT
Old 09-19-2022, 10:36 AM   #26
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I am if it's done WELL, but it generally hasn't been in most media and the Nicktoon attempt was AWFUL.

I mean romance is a part of life and the Turtles are the only 4 of their kind. Realistically, they'd be miserable and downright suicidal (as many people are) if they were doomed to never experience a romantic relationship. After money, lack of companionship is the leading external cause of depression among most people, and I don't see how the Turtles would be any different since they have "human brains" for the most part, other than they know for a fact they'd never be with anyone exactly like them. But as we've seen in various media, including Mirage, that wouldn't stop them from trying to basically get whatever they could get. By definition, any relationship they'd have would be "inter-species", but it's never stopped any of them from trying.

Like no, the entire book/movie/show shouldn't grind to a halt to focus on the characters making kissy-face above all else, but the Archie book did a good job with the Raph/Ninjara relationship to illustrate that you CAN do it without "ruining" or overshadowing the rest of what's going on. Ninjara/Raph was only ever a subplot, and things happened "around" it but it wasn't given the main focus.

So I'm fine with it being done WELL. It just usually is not done well, it's usually done pretty badly. In Nick's case, VERY badly. So I do understand why some people would prefer it never come up at all. Personally I think that's a bit myopic, but I get where they're coming from. They've not seen much "proof" that it can be done in a satisfying manner.

Considering that a Nick cartoon could never actually show one of the Turtles in a "relationship" with April, the fact they even made April/Don a recurring plot point - and had it take up SO much real estate - was insipid and a huge reason I tuned out of the show early on. It was SO bad and the rest of the show wasn't good enough to keep me watching outside of that.
Well, yeah. Has any romance in TMNT been done right besides April and Casey?

Sure, if the Turtles are to have gfs then it can be with other mutated animals. Doesn't have to be with Turtles since I'm obviously against the idea of a female turtle.

But the lack of female mutant turtles kinda drives further home the point that the Turtles are alone in the world. So I'm not sure it would be a good idea for them to have successful relationships either. You'd expect them to be attracted to other turtles and not to, let's say, foxes or cows.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:45 AM   #27
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Quote:
But the lack of female mutant turtles kinda drives further home the point that the Turtles are alone in the world. So I'm not sure it would be a good idea for them to have successful relationships either. You'd expect them to be attracted to other turtles and not to, let's say, foxes or cows.
Heh. Reminds me of what Bean the Dynamite asked Sonic the Hedgehog in the Archie comics:

Bean: “Are you and [Princess Sally] going to marry and have mutant hedge-squirrel babies?”

Sonic:
Old 09-19-2022, 11:12 AM   #28
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Well, yeah. Has any romance in TMNT been done right besides April and Casey?

Sure, if the Turtles are to have gfs then it can be with other mutated animals. Doesn't have to be with Turtles since I'm obviously against the idea of a female turtle.

I'd argue that Ninjara/Raph STARTED well before they arbitrarily had her dump him and look like a slut in the process. Seriously, that last story arc was rather rubbish. But before that it was working out rather well.

They even did a neat thing with Mondo Gecko and Candy Fine where initially, she dumped him for becoming a mutant but then did a 180 and realized she loved him anyways and "it's what's inside that counts" and all that, and they rekindled their relationship. I thought that was honestly pretty sweet. Then he went and got murdered because the Mutanimals cartoon got shelved in development, but before that it was nice.

So yeah, there have been a few attempts that weren't altogether bad at all, but they either fizzled out or lacked proper resolution or were abruptly sh*tcanned by arbitrary marketing decisions.

As for "There are no other mutant turtles so they wouldn't even be attracted to females of other species," that's greatly oversimplifying really. For one thing, many humans are furries in real life, and in TMNT canon we know that at the very least Raphael consistently is. If a significant segment of the human population would willingly "hook up" with Ninjara or Alopex, then I'm quite certain that one, some, or all of the Turtles would also be just fine with that same idea.

I mean, we've seen them have various canon romantic relationships in every iteration, and never once with a mutant turtle. At that point we have to accept that canonically, the Turtles are okay seeking love and companionship outside of the "mutant turtle" species, or else we're simply putting our own headcanon ahead of "the official" story. They'll shack up with whoever they're attracted to and whoever will in turn have them, and apparently it has more to do with Personality than Looks or even genus. That's the canon, it's established.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Heh. Reminds me of what Bean the Dynamite asked Sonic the Hedgehog in the Archie comics:

Bean: “Are you and [Princess Sally] going to marry and have mutant hedge-squirrel babies?”

Sonic:
I felt like the "20 Years Later" stuff had a perfectly fine compromise wherein the male children adopted the father's physical traits and the female children resembled the mother. Needn't be any more complicated than that.

Old 09-19-2022, 03:08 PM   #29
Prowler
Emperor

I haven't read Archie, so I don't really know the details. But I am aware of Ninjara and her relationship with Raphael, obviously.

Anyway you make good points.

I don't mind the Turtles finding human females attractive per se, but I'd rather not see them dating them. Like OK, in that season 3 episode of the FW series where April puts in a dress to atteenda costume party, they obviously like what they see. But that was done for comedic purposes really. It's not like they fell in love with her. And when they fall in love with Irma because they ate something sprayed with love potion, it was also done for comedic purposes.
Old 09-19-2022, 03:17 PM   #30
Leo656
The Franchise

Well, what about the Mondo/Candy situation? They were both human (in the Archie canon), then he got mutated. She initially dumped him because "she just couldn't handle it." Then she came back to him because Love Conquers All and whatnot, and they stayed together until he died, and when he died it really affected her deeply.

"Inter-species" or not, I think that's still kinda beautiful, I'unno. I know you said you haven't read it, and that's Mondo and a human and not one of the Turtles with a human, I'm just saying. It's an example of Mutant/Human romance that was way more heartwarming than "icky" because of how it was written and what point they were trying to make. If it works in that context - and I'd argue that it does, for sure - then it's only a half-step to say a Turtle/Human relationship could just as easily be done proper.

These things take a very delicate hand, for sure, and the best of Archie is definitely Top Tier TMNT stuff (note I said "the Best of Archie"; like all TMNT there's still plenty of WTF in that book), I'm just giving examples.

Old 09-19-2022, 03:21 PM   #31
Prowler
Emperor

Angry

I am aware Mondo Gecko was originally a human in Archie yes. But didn't know about the rest.

Well, humans falling in love with "monsters" and such isn't anything new in fiction. The Beauty and the Beast was pretty popular as well.

I guess it just gets weird and gross when people start to imagine both parties having sex.
Old 09-19-2022, 03:34 PM   #32
Leo656
The Franchise

It's their business. Life and love find a way.

So long as nobody involved is fat I don't think it's creepy.

Old 09-19-2022, 03:48 PM   #33
Prowler
Emperor

Well I definitely agree that I have no issues with furries and scalies. I don't think I've ever met one that actually wanted to have sex with real life animals. And even if they did... I mean if a woman wants to bang a horse I'd say she's at a bigger risk of getting injured or killed than the other way around. So I wouldn't worry too much about the horse myself.