The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 02-13-2015, 07:19 AM   #21
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Apparently it came to light yesterday from someone who talked to Slott at a convention that "Renew Your Vows" is some sort of compromise for Slott as he had been pitching for Peter and MJ's marriage to be brought back for a while now, with editorial refusing. This sounds really iffy given Slott's attitudes towards MJ and how he's written her in his run so far. And any MJ who appeared in Spider-Verse was either not given any real page time, was killed horribly, or was a generic heavy for the bad guys who got flattened with one punch. The only MJ that was given any dignity in that event was the daily strip version, which has to keep going regardless
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #22
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Apparently it came to light yesterday from someone who talked to Slott at a convention that "Renew Your Vows" is some sort of compromise for Slott as he had been pitching for Peter and MJ's marriage to be brought back for a while now, with editorial refusing. This sounds really iffy given Slott's attitudes towards MJ and how he's written her in his run so far. And any MJ who appeared in Spider-Verse was either not given any real page time, was killed horribly, or was a generic heavy for the bad guys who got flattened with one punch. The only MJ that was given any dignity in that event was the daily strip version, which has to keep going regardless
Sounds about right to me. I've suspected as much since he took over the full duties of writing Amazing Spider-Man.

It's pretty clear when he gives interviews or posts on message boards that we shouldn't take a lot of what he says seriously. The debacle of "killing" Peter Parker and how he promoted that idea that he was definitely dead, not coming back and that fans would eventually forget the character should have shown everyone this.

Slott's writing does seem to favour continuity and I have a hard time believing he wouldn't at least be interested in telling one or two stories with the marriage intact. As for his portrayal of Mary Jane herself - that's always going to be tricky situation. Some might argue OMD is always going to be an elephant in the room until/unless it was reversed but it especially is an elephant in the room when Mary Jane is present in the story. The idea of still having MJ as a supporting character is laudable but how to you address that the characters should together even though the can't be? I think portraying them as incompatible is probably the only way. Better in my mind if at the time there was no chance Marvel was going to reverse their stance on the marriage.

Also I guess we're going to overlook Stan Lee wrote out the marriage in the newspaper and brought it back in Dallas-like fashion due to fan demand? On this issue I don't have any more respect for the newspaper strip than I do for Marvel itself.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:38 AM   #23
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
The problem with writing them as incompatible is that they're NOT. This was pretty clear for years, even though they had their ups and downs, their brief separation, and the loss of the baby. What literally KILLED that idea was OMIT, where M-J was written COMPLETELY OOC by saying she couldn't be with him because- apparently she forgot all those years where she had supported him through EVERYTHING, her personal moments of heroism, and even the fact that she KNEW who and what he was before they ever actually met!

She is the ONLY woman who has ever been able to "keep up" with him emotionally as well as in practical terms, simply because they share so much in history, love, and interests. They ARE compatible on so many levels, at least up until that arc destroyed their relationship with an ill-considered speech from M-J about how she wanted a "normal life" with kids and all that, and couldn't have it with him, because- why?? He wanted the same things, but they had always made it work in the past (with some bumps, of course), yet suddenly she throws in the towel over what was completely out of left field for her as a character. It felt so forced, and that's the only reason they can't address it now, without admitting that the entire arc was OOC and stupid in the first place.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:10 AM   #24
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Also I guess we're going to overlook Stan Lee wrote out the marriage in the newspaper and brought it back in Dallas-like fashion due to fan demand?
Accoring to the strip's writers, that was just a publicity stunt and the marriage was always going to come back. Stan did not agree with what Peter did in OMD, and he obviously wanted to make the strip a priority in the post-marriage age. It's worked so far. The strip has gotten more attention over the years and is now being collected from the beginning in trades from IDW. Slott even protected it from the events of Spider-Verse rather than involve anyone from the strip in it (taking a jab at the strip's slow-paced nature in the process)

As for making Peter and MJ seem incompatible...it doesn't gel because their lives have similar baggage,they have shared numerous battles together, both in the practical and the psychological sense, and that's why they understand each other the most and are very compatible, true it has been established before that it was just MJ's "selfishness" and tendency to run that keeps them apart, but these are problems MJ has triumphed over several times, to the point in one universe she was raising two children with him, one of whom was a super hero. Indeed, at the end of Spider-Verse, MC2 MJ decides to encourage her daughter to fight crime in her father's outfit mere days after his dangerous lifestyle catches up to him and leads to his death and the destruction of their house (Slott even takes a jab at the way he's treated 616 MJ when, earlier in the event, he had Mayday proclaim that MC2 MJ would "never leave Peter ever, not in his moment of greatest need")

In the newspaper strip, she's never run from Peter and has willingly jumped straight into danger to investigate Peter's enemies or to try and save him from them.

Indeed, prior to the current storyline where she is filming a b movie, MJ had not been a big component of the newspaper strip for two and a half years, she was used quite sparingly while Peter traveled to different cities (and even a foreign state) or focused on his own antics with Jameson and Doc Ock. Whenever she did appear though, it pushed the story forward in an effective manner and she was still as supportful and in-character as ever. You can take MJ out for a little while and slip her back in with no real fuss to be had from her and make readers feel assured Peter's hard work had a reward at the end. You don't need to make her the "elephant in the room", you instead just need to make her a pair of comfortable slippers

If Marvel's attempts currently are to show why Peter and MJ are "impossible" for one another, it's taken them too late to achieve it, as history, past and present, speaks for itself

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 03-05-2015 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:55 PM   #25
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Accoring to the strip's writers, that was just a publicity stunt and the marriage was always going to come back. Stan did not agree with what Peter did in OMD, and he obviously wanted to make the strip a priority in the post-marriage age. It's worked so far. The strip has gotten more attention over the years and is now being collected from the beginning in trades from IDW. Slott even protected it from the events of Spider-Verse rather than involve anyone from the strip in it (taking a jab at the strip's slow-paced nature in the process)

As for making Peter and MJ seem incompatible...it doesn't gel because their lives have similar baggage,they have shared numerous battles together, both in the practical and the psychological sense, and that's why they understand each other the most and are very compatible, true it has been established before that it was just MJ's "selfishness" and tendency to run that keeps them apart, but these are problems MJ has triumphed over several times, to the point in one universe she was raising two children with him, one of whom was a super hero. Indeed, at the end of Spider-Verse, MC2 MJ decides to encourage her daughter to fight crime in her father's outfit mere days after his dangerous lifestyle catches up to him and leads to his death and the destruction of their house (Slott even takes a jab at the way he's treated 616 MJ when, earlier in the event, he had Mayday proclaim that MC2 MJ would "never leave Peter ever, not in his moment of greatest need")

In the newspaper strip, she's never run from Peter and has willingly jumped straight into danger to investigate Peter's enemies or to try and save him from them.

Indeed, prior to the current storyline where she is filming a b movie, MJ had not been a big component of the newspaper strip for two and a half years, she was used quite sparingly while Peter traveled to different cities (and even a foreign state) or focused on his own antics with Jameson and Doc Ock. Whenever she did appear though, it pushed the story forward in an effective manner and she was still as supportful and in-character as ever. You can take MJ out for a little while and slip her back in with no real fuss to be had from her and make readers feel assured Peter's hard work had a reward at the end. You don't need to make her the "elephant in the room", you instead just need to make her a pair of comfortable slippers

If Marvel's attempts currently are to show why Peter and MJ are "impossible" for one another, it's taken them too late to achieve it, as history, past and present, speaks for itself

Hear, hear!! ^ I approve this post.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:36 AM   #26
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Not really anything new, but Alonzo has said things about Renew Your Vows

Quote:
"We told every writer to take full advantage of the flexibility of this event to tell the biggest, craziest stories and bring the coolest new things they could into the Marvel Universe, and to treat each issue #1 like a new jumping-on point," Alonso said. "So if you pick up something vaguely familiar at the store, like 'Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows,' you don't have to be a reader of 'Amazing Spider-Man' to hit the ground running."
http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...of-secret-wars
Old 03-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #27
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Spider-Man renews his vows on June 3rd

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/16...ider-man-story

Quote:
“You haven’t seen Spider-Man’s classic villains the way you know and love—I wouldn’t be surprised to see Eddie Brock as Venom in this story,” teases Slott. “Or Sergei Kravinoff as Kraven the Hunter in this story. There’s going to be a lot of bullets in the gun for things you wanted to see in a Spider-Man story that you haven’t seen in a while. This is the ultimate classic feel. This is the last Eddie Brock story. The stakes have never been higher for Peter Parker because he’s never had so much to lose. So he has never been this close to the edge. And these are the Last Days.”

Even with the return of all these long-missing classic Spidey elements, there’s also something new in the mix (besides the whole Secret Wars thing). If you’ve been following Secret Wars via Marvel’s interactive Battleworld map, you’ll notice that Renew Your Vows is set in a region of the world known as The Regency—it’s named after The Regent, the mysterious villain of Renew Your Vows. The Regent’s identity is top-secret—all that Marvel is saying about him/her is that the villain has a plan in place, and it’s one that Daredevil and Moon Knight have already fallen prey to.

As for Renew Your Vows’ role in the grand scheme that is Secret Wars, it’s Marvel’s intent to make the series—which will be the core Spider-Man book throughout the event—stand on its own two feet.

“If all you care about is Spidey,” says Slott , “it’s totally cool if you have no idea what’s going on in Secret Wars.”

But if you’re interested in the future of Spider-Man’s world after Secret Wars, Renew Your Vows is where you’ll want to go to see what’s going to make it into the new Marvel Universe.

“What I can tell you? No matter who or what or how Spider-Man comics will be made in the future—elements from this story will go on into the next incarnation,” says Slott, speaking extremely carefully. “Elements. Of this. Yes.”
Old 03-17-2015, 04:42 PM   #28
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Solit for the June issues

Quote:
THE LAST SPIDER-MAN STORY
• Not even The Amazing Spider-Man is safe from Secret Wars! In this new Marvel Universe, Peter Parker, Mary Jane Watson and their daughter have to scrape by to make ends meet, but they have each other…
• Face front, True Believers. This is the one you’ve been asking for
Old 03-22-2015, 02:20 AM   #29
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Why do I keep checking your news posts? I just keep getting more and more depressed....

Old 03-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #30
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Did you read Quesada's inane drivel he posted on Friday where he said nobody except Stan himself could top what they were doing with Spidey now? What a middle finger to DeMatties, DeFalco, and JMS.

I do find it a bit ironic he said "noone except Stan", and Stan's current work still happens to involve a married Spidey.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:10 AM   #31
snake
Disgusting

So will this jumpstart a new spidey book after Secret Wars or will Amazing just continue off of #19, which is the last Amazing issue in the solicits. I really don't think a satisfying finale can be achived in 3 issues.

Also, Stern's Spiderman is a great run if anyone didn't read it.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:41 AM   #32
ZariusTwo
Overlord

We don't know, according to Slott, "elements" of Renew Your Vows will filter into the books after Secret Wars

In the meantime, the Spiral storyline will be continuing, and Peter will show up in Silk#5 according to the June solits, so even if they're tying up plot threads in ASM, the regular Spidey will still be kicking about at least for now.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:31 PM   #34
Leo656
The Franchise

Damn, son.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:37 PM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

That's the funniest thing I've seen in some time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:15 PM   #36
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Zarius, you are henceforth and forevermore the Angry Sock Puppet of the Technodrome!
Old 03-23-2015, 12:53 AM   #37
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Zarius, you are henceforth and forevermore the Angry Sock Puppet of the Technodrome!
Should make that his User Title.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:55 AM   #38
ZariusTwo
Overlord

It was quite the scene last night. According to the guy I collect decapitated Barbies and fingernail clippings. Made my weekend, last thing I posted before the latest permaban was "better main event than Lesnar vs Reigns" and then the thread got purged

I managed to 'cap the entire conversation though
Old 03-23-2015, 08:33 AM   #39
Leo656
The Franchise

Not gonna lie - and I'm sure that some folks will take this wrong/too harsh, but whatever - stuff like that is why I limit all my "fan" conversations to this forum. No comic boards, no wrestling boards, no movie boards, no music boards, no cartoon forums, not a damn thing. Because the more I see, the more I'm convinced that "fans" are a bunch of raving lunatics, and I can't think of too many things worse than arguing/debating with them like it's a full-time job.

This place gives me about all I can handle of that stuff. I used to go on a couple wrestling and comics forums, way waaaaaay back, but it's such a drag. I completely hate discussing my interests with other, supposedly "like-minded" people. Either they disagree with me for stupid reasons, or (kind of) worse, they "agree" with me for nonsensical reasons that make me question if we're even speaking the same language, let alone liking the same things. It's like, you'd think nerds wouldn't be such awful people, but a lot of 'em really are.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:07 AM   #40
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Not gonna lie - and I'm sure that some folks will take this wrong/too harsh, but whatever - stuff like that is why I limit all my "fan" conversations to this forum. No comic boards, no wrestling boards, no movie boards, no music boards, no cartoon forums, not a damn thing. Because the more I see, the more I'm convinced that "fans" are a bunch of raving lunatics, and I can't think of too many things worse than arguing/debating with them like it's a full-time job.

This place gives me about all I can handle of that stuff. I used to go on a couple wrestling and comics forums, way waaaaaay back, but it's such a drag. I completely hate discussing my interests with other, supposedly "like-minded" people. Either they disagree with me for stupid reasons, or (kind of) worse, they "agree" with me for nonsensical reasons that make me question if we're even speaking the same language, let alone liking the same things. It's like, you'd think nerds wouldn't be such awful people, but a lot of 'em really are.
Nerds give other nerds a bad name.

Quote:
It was quite the scene last night. According to the guy I collect decapitated Barbies and fingernail clippings. Made my weekend, last thing I posted before the latest permaban was "better main event than Lesnar vs Reigns" and then the thread got purged

I managed to 'cap the entire conversation though
Decapitated Barbies? Fingernail clippings? Dude... I want to read the conversation!

Tags
spider-man