Turtles in Time 64 78.05%
Hyperstone Heist 18 21.95%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #41
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87tmntfan View Post
I like hyperstone better. But don'tlike that they used tatsu for a boss.
Why not? The fact he never got time to shine outside of the movies is a bummer to most fans.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #42
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Having played both....and liking both as a kid...I'm going to have to go with Turtles in Time but only barely. Tastu as a boss in Hyperstone Heist was awesome, but I like the fact that Turtles in Time was a longer game.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:37 PM   #43
billbot85
Mad Scientist

Turtles in Time all the way. After playing both, no competition in my book whatsoever.

GIFSoup
billbot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:33 AM   #44
Sumac
Banned

Neither.
TiT feels a bit generic.

HH feels like a rush job, despite having the best gameplay of the Turtles in Time incarnations. And it only has four levels. I don't count Scene 4 as it's just long copypasted cave with copypasted bosses from levels before, which is sort of embarrassing.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #45
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Neither.
TiT feels a bit generic.

HH feels like a rush job, despite having the best gameplay of the Turtles in Time incarnations. And it only has four levels. I don't count Scene 4 as it's just long copypasted cave with copypasted bosses from levels before, which is sort of embarrassing.
Not to mention that gauntlet is hard as ****. You don't even have the chance to eat a pizza between each boss fight for god's sake. And now they're twice as strong! I hate it when games do that.

And how does HH have better gameplay than TIT? I must say I've never noticed any significant difference. Well, I think HH had a run button whilst in TIT you ran automatically. Cant' recall.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #46
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Not to mention that gauntlet is hard as ****. You don't even have the chance to eat a pizza between each boss fight for god's sake. And now they're twice as strong! I hate it when games do that.

And how does HH have better gameplay than TIT? I must say I've never noticed any significant difference. Well, I think HH had a run button whilst in TIT you ran automatically. Cant' recall.
Here's a nice comparison of the games on Sega-16:
Quote:
Gameplay: None of these other points are as important as the gameplay. At first glace both titles play identically, but as you go along you’ll realize that there are a couple of differences between the two. One major difference is the run feature. In Turtles in Time, you automatically run after walking for a few seconds, or you can set it to two taps of the D-pad to run. The Hyperstone Heist, however, assigns run to a button, making run combos much easier to pull off. I’d like to know why Konami didn’t assign run to a button in Turtles in Time. Between the slow-scrolling screen and the basic gameplay formula, holding down a direction to run in just isn’t practical at all when most of the time you’re standing still fighting enemies. As a result, the Hyperstone Heist becomes a much faster paced game than Turtles in Time. With the inclusion of the run button, running attacks are much easier to pull off, and makes this a lot more convenient.

On the other hand, the Hyperstone Heist is missing that gimmicky, but satisfying move where you throw the Foot soldier at the screen, the ability to press a direction and throw a foot soldier, and a battle much mode akin to the one in Streets of Rage 2, where the turtles duke it out against each other in their sewer home. These are all small losses though, especially the battle mode. It’s not really all that fun to play a bare-bones simplistic 2D fighter when I could be playing Street Fighter II instead. But the main gameplay difference between the two games is the hit detection. Turtles in Time’s hit detection just isn’t as good as THH’s. Overall, it’s not too bad, but you lose some of the range the turtles have because of it. THH’s hit detection is a lot better in comparison, and is pretty much perfect. Between that and the better run system give it the edge.
http://www.sega-16.com/2010/01/side-...nesis-vs-snes/

The bosses in Hyperstone Heist aren't really too bad if you adopt the pattern of hit them with a combo or tow (just restrain yourself from trying a finishing move) and then jump out of the way when they run. But the intermediate enemies between bosses (like the Rock Soldiers who come charging in) can be a real nuisance in the Gauntlet. It's one of the reasons why I was never able to achieve a no-death run in the game.

I actually do think the controls in Hyperstone Heist are more nuanced and provide greater variety of movement and jumps than TiT. Everybody really loves that SNES screen-through though. And I think I actually prefer having a dedicated run button on Genesis, but it's bee a few years since I've played through it; the three-button pad was sufficient for that style of beat em' up. I think the sprites are a bit more detailed and the animation is a bit smoother on Genny, even though it doesn't have the vivid SNES color palette. I always played HH in "comic" skin color mode.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 06-09-2015 at 01:50 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:47 PM   #47
Sumac
Banned

Well, pretty much everything was said about differences between TiT and HH, but I'll add my POV: HH is faster and I like "Run" button. Generally, I like HH's faster gameplay. Neither arcade nor SNES versions of TiT felt fast enough after HH.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #48
Prowler
Emperor

Makes sense Hyperstone Heist being faster, since the Genesis was faster than the SNES. Something Sega called "blast processing" to make it sound cool.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:21 PM   #49
Ceres
Stone Warrior

I haven't played either of these games but saw a lot YT Videos about and from that i say Hyperstone Heist looked rather nice, that is why i did choose it in the poll

"Shredder, why don't you make love to me anymore?"
Ceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:10 AM   #50
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Makes sense Hyperstone Heist being faster, since the Genesis was faster than the SNES. Something Sega called "blast processing" to make it sound cool.
Hehehe, I forgot about blast processing. I miss guff like that - wouldn't the world be more interesting if the Xbox One featured 'Nuclear Graphics', or the PS4 were the first home videogame console to harness the power of the Higgs Boson?
Old 09-10-2015, 10:37 PM   #51
Martian_Turtlesaurus
Random Punk

Well TMNT IV got me at time travel! And somehow it felt like a great sequel to the Manhattan project (later I learned that wasn't really the case). I played the arcade version first so it was the same game I loved but with Slash, Rat King, Bebop, Rocksteady and the technodrome!!!

It only lacked the epic option of playing with the four brothers at the same time.

I got my hands on Hyperstone Heist way later and I honestly liked it but didn't found it as challenging. Still its like a great recipe done mostly with the same ingredients and I prefer it over the re-shelled version.

Also big fan of the comic style and still smile at the end characters' credits.
Martian_Turtlesaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:07 PM   #52
DonatelloDomeHead31
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian_Turtlesaurus View Post
a great sequel to the Manhattan project
I quoted you saying that it was a sequel to the 3rd ninja turtles game because I wanted to point something out that got my attention:

After one defeats Super Shredder in the 3rd game, the credits roll introducing the turtles, then the bad guys.

Turtles in Time (SNES) does that too---and I was just commenting that this was a great way to end the games.

Hyperstone Heist...as far as I know...did not do a Credits roll.

Donatello: Pork rind.
Donatello: Yeah, a few inquiries.
Donatello: Turtles don't migrate, Raph. Birds do!
Donatello: Have you seen the way this guy drives?
Donatello: 0.00000003%!
Donatello: I don't know, but it doesn't look good...
DonatelloDomeHead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:52 PM   #53
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

So am I the only person that likes TMNT 3 Manhattan project the best? I enjoy HH and TiT (heh) but TMNT 3 is by far my favorite.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:30 PM   #54
TurtleGuy
Foot Soldier

I voted Hyperstone Heist, mostly because the SNES soundchip ruined some of my favorite songs from the arcade version(Skull & Crossbones, Alleycat Blues, Bury My Shell at Wounded Knee, the boss theme and I prefer the Genesis version's elevator theme. Seriously, though, I hate the SNES soundchip with a passion... barring some exceptions), and it's a little bit more challenging IMO.

Last edited by TurtleGuy; 01-07-2016 at 06:27 PM.
TurtleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
video games