The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 10-05-2020, 06:06 AM   #41
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I just think it's a bit odd when people assume their kids will "inevitably" like the same things they do/did, is all. Sometimes Yes, Mostly No.
I guess in my case, I figured that with my action figures so prominently displayed in my study, they’d be dying to play with them. As things play out, there have definitely been moments where they have been excited about TMNT, but for the most part their interest in them is casual at best. My older son (10) is autistic and only wants to play with letter toys and/or color and paint. My younger son (6) shows more interest, but Star Wars and Veggietales are his clear favorites. Which is cool, because I’m into those too.

Hoping TMNT eventually sticks in, but if it doesn’t, if nothing else, those figures I bought will be a cool gift from dad one day.
Zachatello00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:54 AM   #42
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah man. Ya ever know, they might come around. Lord knows there's plenty of things I got into as time went on that I wouldn't have looked twice at as a kid. It's just really tough to predict how it's gonna play out.

Like my nephew's Dad, before he passed away, he was adamant that his kid was gonna be into football, Just Like Daddy. I'd casually ask "What if he doesn't, though?" and he'd get pretty aggressively defensive about it. More or less implying that the kid never had a choice in it. And that always bugged me. Turns out the kid does like playing football, but part of me still wonders how much of that is, "Your Dad wanted you to do this, therefore since he's dead you have an obligation to do what he wanted." Like, would he have sincerely chosen it for himself otherwise? We'll never know. He never expressed any interest in it before his Dad died, so it all just felt a bit off, to me.

If the kids are happy, then that's what's important. I just feel like some people nudge a little harder than they ought to. Certain members here used to imply they'd sit their kids in front of the TV and force-feed 'em Ninja Turtles once they had them, and I think that's a bit too far. Gentle persuasion is a whole different game than THAT, though.

My Dad pretty much left me alone to find my own thing, and that's something I'm grateful for. He sure liked He-Man, though. No idea why! I was too young to have asked for the toys in the beginning, so in a way, I guess me liking He-Man was "his decision" to a point, but if I didn't stay interested he wasn't gonna force it. Likewise, never gave me a hard time when the things I ended up liking later on in life weren't His Thing.

He encouraged my interests while giving me space to breathe. I know he would have liked if we had more in common, but he never made me feel like I let him down. That's a pretty big deal when you're a kid. He would've loved if I played football, but I wasn't disappointing him by not. He made that very clear.

I kinda feel like I had just the right amount of "space" growing up.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 10-05-2020 at 07:04 AM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:13 AM   #43
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Quote:
I kinda feel like I had just the right amount of "space" growing up.
I try to do this, really I do, but that’s not to say (if I’m being honest) when my boy picks out a Star Wars toy, that I haven’t picked up a Raph toy and said “are you sure you don’t want this one? Eh? No? Really? Okay then.”

In truth, I feel like I’ve lucked out. I’ve got some pretty great kids. TMNT fans or not, they’re really something. And at the end of the day, that’s all I really care about.

Besides, if they DON’T want to play with my toys, less of a chance of them breaking, right?
Old 10-05-2020, 07:50 AM   #44
Leo656
The Franchise

That's (one reason of many) why I never had kids. For one thing, I don't share well. For another, I just don't trust kids to treat things nicely. When I was a kid, my parents always insisted that I let my younger cousins play with my toys and they always broke 'em. And then I was the asshole for having the audacity to complain.

And of course, there's always the off chance that I'd have a kid, and one day he'd mutter something along the lines of "He-Man is stupid" or some such. In which case that kid would end up at the bus station with a bag lunch and a note pinned to his shirt within the hour.

After all, I'm only human.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:10 AM   #45
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Quote:
After all, I'm only human.
Sounds reasonable enough!
Old 10-05-2020, 02:53 PM   #46
Hans Flying Turtlenecker
Thug

I sadly enough either broke most of my old ones or lost them.
But a while back ago I visited my parents house and scoured through the storage wardrobes and I managed to find two old figures.

Sewer Samurai Leo, in a rather bad condition
and Super Shredder, with most of his accessories other than the belt.

I instantly packed them up and brought them with me home that same day.
Hans Flying Turtlenecker is offline   Reply With Quote