The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-03-2021, 03:45 PM   #1
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Crisis on Infinite Earths Possible Animation Adaptation

We saw a live action adaptation 2 years ago. Now, we might be getting an animated version featuring Fliesher to Harley Quinn.

At this point its just a rumor, but has come from a source that has proven to be valid in the recent past.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:18 PM   #2
IMJ
Emperor

This is actually really interesting.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:45 PM   #3
Leo656
The Franchise

Title aside, I would hardly call that live-action cross-over thing from a couple years ago an "adaptation". Any actual resemblance to the real "Crisis on Infinite Earths" was purely coincidental and probably an accident.

I know I lost the war on the whole "It's just a title, maaaan" thing ages ago. Don't care; titles create expectations, if you're going to go completely off the reservation to the point where there's NO resemblance, give your story a different title and add an "Inspired By (________) from the DC Comics Series" card during the opening credits.

But yeah, no, that show wasn't an "adaptation" of Crisis, any more than BvS was an "adaptation" of "The Dark Knight Returns" simply because Batman had an armor suit and had a scuffle with Superman. Merely "inspired by".

Sorry, I am rather pedantic.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:27 PM   #4
Turo602
The King of Kings

I've been wanting them to do Crisis on Infinite Earths for a loooong time in animated form and while I don't expect this to be a direct adaptation of the comics, I think it sounds f*cking cool regardless. Animation is my favorite medium for this stuff and the possibility of seeing an animated crossover of this magnitude is awesome and completely possible given WB owns all this stuff anyway.

DC and WB have really embraced the entire multiverse concept in recent times that something like this just makes so much sense. They've apparently planted the seeds for it in Justice Society: World War 2 so I assume this new animated universe might be the central universe they jump off from. I even wonder if this might be part of the reason we've gotten shows like Legion of Superheroes and now The Batman on blu-ray. Could be more to come just to have all these different universes out there again before a big event like this.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:10 AM   #5
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Makes sense. The current DCAU Justice League Infinity title is dealing with a multiverse plot and has touched on Elseworld versions
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:55 AM   #6
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I knew this would happen eventually it doesn't matter if the comic isn't "good", it's too iconic for them not to get to it eventually. There are two ways they can adapt COIE:

1: It's an adaptation with the current designs and as with their usual adaptations they take liberties here and there to fit the continuity and for it to make sense. Obviously a straight adaptation of COIE would not make sense and if they have never done a straight faithful adaptation in any of the other DCU animated movies they won't start witht he craziest one. No fanservice of other animated cartoon DC heroes, there'll all be original in this version, best we can hope is the DCAU Justice League in the background of a fight if we're lucky.

2: It's a COIE inspired adaptation where all of the versions of the cartoon characters are in it, BTAS, superfriends, Teen Titans, JLAction, krypto the superdog, TTGo etc. This is less likely but it would be beyond awesome to see the cast of JLU interacting with other animated superheroes it'd be a fanboys dream of someone who has watched every animated DC show. I see this as less likely since it would be very costly to get those VAs back, it'd require great writers for it to make sense, it's too good to be true.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:56 AM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
any more than BvS was an "adaptation" of "The Dark Knight Returns" simply because Batman had an armor suit and had a scuffle with Superman. Merely "inspired by".
It lifted entire scenes from TDKR, word for word. Plus that was a book about an older Bruce who puts back on the cowl and finds hope again... just what happens here.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:55 PM   #8
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It lifted entire scenes from TDKR, word for word. Plus that was a book about an older Bruce who puts back on the cowl and finds hope again... just what happens here.
Yeah but it wasn't actually a TDKR movie. It took parts of that and threw in Death of Superman, tossed in Lex (sorta) and wonder woman as well as making it a sequel and aftermath of Man of Steel

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 02:14 PM   #9
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Title aside, I would hardly call that live-action cross-over thing from a couple years ago an "adaptation". Any actual resemblance to the real "Crisis on Infinite Earths" was purely coincidental and probably an accident.

I know I lost the war on the whole "It's just a title, maaaan" thing ages ago. Don't care; titles create expectations, if you're going to go completely off the reservation to the point where there's NO resemblance, give your story a different title and add an "Inspired By (________) from the DC Comics Series" card during the opening credits.
I want to remember this post the next time I go on about the crap "Civil War" flick, and how the general source material for Iron Man was largely destroyed on film and see someone post in response about "exact replications of comics on screen".
Old 12-07-2021, 02:59 PM   #10
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I want to remember this post the next time I go on about the crap "Civil War" flick, and how the general source material for Iron Man was largely destroyed on film and see someone post in response about "exact replications of comics on screen".
Idk why it would be an argument, the real Civil War had most everyone in Marvel, including the XMen, not just the MCU guys, and it started with some super powered teens accidentally blowing themselves up and Spiderman told the world he was Peter Parker and more.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 05:19 PM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Yeah but it wasn't actually a TDKR movie. It took parts of that and threw in Death of Superman, tossed in Lex (sorta) and wonder woman as well as making it a sequel and aftermath of Man of Steel
Exactly. It wasn't an "adaptation", it was a stew. Which is why Dan Jurgens and other writers got "Special Thanks" in the credits, not just Frank Miller. Borrowing scenes doesn't in and of itself an "adaptation" make. It's no more a TDKR "adaptation" than it is a "Death of Superman" adaptation, or an "A Lonely Place of Dying" adaptation; it uses elements of either (with quite a lot of things lifted from OTHER stories, as well) but puts them back together in entirely different ways. It doesn't tell anywhere near the same story as either, and the fight scene which utilizes all those TDKR elements happens for a completely different reason and has a completely different outcome. Every single element that's been lifted or borrowed from any other story has been completely repurposed into something entirely new.

Which is much different than, say, Snyder's "Watchmen" movie. That is about as close to a "straight adaptation" as anyone's ever liable to do, considering that it skews nearly 1:1 with the comic book with only very minor alterations or deviations.

One would think that the difference between "an adaptation" and "a composite work which borrows and reassembles multiple disparate elements of various stories" would be pretty clear. Right off the bat, if you're taking story threads from five or six different things and tying them all together into something else, you're not "adapting" anything, you're simply repurposing elements. Doesn't matter how closely some of those bits skew towards the original if the entire authorial intent and story purpose is completely different in the end.

Like, the scene with Barry in the Batcave was VERY similar to how he appeared to Batman during "Crisis on Infinite Earths". But you wouldn't say BvS was "adapting" CoIE based on that one scene, either.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 05:33 PM   #12
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Idk why it would be an argument, the real Civil War had most everyone in Marvel, including the XMen, not just the MCU guys, and it started with some super powered teens accidentally blowing themselves up and Spiderman told the world he was Peter Parker and more.
There were some people here building a pyre on the argument that they don't want to see direct adaptations of comics. It was a straw man point because no one had ever said anything about "direct, panel-by-panel adaptations". But that's were simple f's go with their arguments for personal psychology XYZ.

So Leo's thing about "titles" and whatnot was in the same spirit as I was stating wherever that other convo was. But yeah - comic movies to film is much like "ethical drift". With every small change and liberty you get further away from the core that counts.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:34 PM   #13
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Some times its misleading to call things adaptations such Justice League: Doom, it was a melding on JLA: Rock of Ages and Towel of Babel, but only Tower of Babel got a nod.

Others like tributes are more accurate like seen in 'Legends' Justice League episode arc. It had nothing to do with the mini-series, but was a tribute as it states to Gardner Fox, the writer of the first 65 Justice League of America issues and the creator of both the Justice League and Justice Society.