Old 06-19-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
Vicky82
Emperor

Rise Official Episode Discussion S2 EP 8a/8b & 9a/9b

New episodes tonight.

Ep 8a - Raph's Ride-Along
Raph is mistaken for a heinous criminal in the Hidden City

Ep 8b - Donnie vs. Witch Town
always a man of science, Donnie can't accept April going to the witches for mystic help on a science project.

Ep 9a - Hidden City's Most Wanted
Splinter's magical day with Mikey is interrupted by a mysterious tiny guest

Ep 9b - Bad Hair Day
Leo's efforts to get into an exclusive Hidden City spa threaten to unweave his day of relaxation

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:10 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Raph ep was best ep thanks to guest voices. And that one rather self aware line... lol

Spoiler:
What were the names of the crooks? Something like Dennis, Mickey, and...? Didn't catch the "Leo" one.

The little bit of sentimental Mikey/Splinter/Draxum stuff was decent.

It took this long to finally see the mystic-powered baseball bat? Looks like Donnie's staff kind of broke, and along with his comment on his brothers waving around mystic weapons I thought that might have lead to him finally getting the darn mystic staff. Donnie being such an ass is getting so old. Being the skeptical science guy is one thing, but his attitude just soured the episode.

Leo...weakest ep. Most I can say is had the toy line not bombed and not been rather bad looking to begin with I might have gotten a beach Leo variant if accurately done and didn't look weird... Shame that he's still dumbed down to the point that he spent most of his ep time asleep and being taken advantage of. Miss the days when Leo would have found something cool to do, not just be lazy.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 06-19-2020 at 07:20 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:57 PM   #3
Kit31
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Raph ep was best ep thanks to guest voices. And that one rather self aware line... lol

Spoiler:
What were the names of the crooks? Something like Dennis, Mickey, and...? Didn't catch the "Leo" one.

Spoiler:
Dastardly Danny, Malicious Mickey, and Loathsome Leonardo.

And yes, I actually screamed when I recognized the voices. LOL It was so nice to hear them all again in the same episode. Shame they couldn't find a role for Sean, though.

Yes, I LOVED that episode for that reason, too!
Kit31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:08 PM   #4
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Ep 8a - Raph's Ride-Along

Good episode, not much to say except that it was a fun Raph episode. I thought the Easter egg with the voice actors was neat, Raph's plans backfiring was funny and the fight scene at the end was pretty awesome. Also its kinda funny how this episode about cops being incompetent and somewhat racist came out in this specific time frame.

Ep 8b - Donnie vs. Witch Town
This was pretty much a mixed episode in which the 1st half was awful and the 2nd was good, I could've done a lot less with the whole "Science vs Magic" from Donnie, I still like this iteration of the character but whoo boy was he wearing my patience thin. The second half more than made up for it(along with the hit April gave Donnie) I loved the heart to heart talk April and Donnie had and the fight scene at the end was pretty good too. Also this is going to sound weird but I kinda wish this episode was 22 minutes not because this was important to the overall plot but I thought somethings could have been expanded a bit like the town and the witch girl.

Fun Fact when Donnie was digging for worms you can see Warren Stone in the background.

Ep 9a - Hidden City's Most Wanted

I love how Splinter in this version is more "dad" than "teacher compared to his previous iterations and its always kinda sweet just spending time with his son, no lessons no generic ancient martial art advice that has to do with trees or streams just hanging out with his son and introducing him to the city. I especially love how Mikey is the one who gets to hang out with Splinter since we don't see a lot of Mikey and Splinter interaction in general especially in the 12 series(it was so bad that when the turtles had to have emotional flashbacks Mikey remembers an event that he should have no memory of). With all of that in mind what really shines is the relationship between Splinter and Draxum I love the idea of Splinter not forgiving Draxum and is still bitter that the latter turned him into a rat and the flashback with him homeless with baby Mikey confronting him. Rise Splinter might have had a bad first impressions(even I thought he sucked in the 1st episode) but it is shown time and time again that he does love his sons. Nothing else but Draxum in the kimono gave me Samurai Jack vibes.

Ep 9b - Bad Hair Day
Alright, not bad not good just alright it doesn't annoy me and it doesn't really wow me either. I thought Leo with hair looked good but I don't have much to say in this episode.

So yeah the Hidden City arc was good, could've been better but I did enjoy exploring the city and looking at a bunch of monster designs and I really like the anthology style of storytelling focusing on a single turtle in each episode and having the ending wrap everything up.

Quote:

Spoiler:
Leo...weakest ep. Most I can say is had the toy line not bombed and not been rather bad looking to begin with I might have gotten a beach Leo variant if accurately done and didn't look weird... Shame that he's still dumbed down to the point that he spent most of his ep time asleep and being taken advantage of. Miss the days when Leo would have found something cool to do, not just be lazy.
1. How is him sleeping being "dumbed down" a Spa is a place where you relax.

2. How many times was 12 Leo got took advantage of by Karai at least Rise Leo has the excuse of not knowing the guy.

3. In the last batch of episodes Leo had an episode where he helped Don Hueso improve his relationship with his brother and one of the things he did was sneak into Big Mama's trophy room. This is the only Leo episode where he gets to be lazy.

Last edited by PApagreg; 06-20-2020 at 12:19 AM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:13 PM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit31 View Post
Spoiler:
Dastardly Danny, Malicious Mickey, and Loathsome Leonardo.

And yes, I actually screamed when I recognized the voices. LOL It was so nice to hear them all again in the same episode. Shame they couldn't find a role for Sean, though.

Yes, I LOVED that episode for that reason, too!
Spoiler:
Ohh, thanks! They went ahead and called that character Leonardo? Funny. Pretty cool character, though I hadn't a clue what he was supposed to be.

Yeah, would have been cool if Sean had been in there too. That's like all the main cast of the last show having appeared now except him.

edit: That character is actually Leonard, sans 'o' on the end, but close enough.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 06-20-2020 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:42 PM   #6
Kit31
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Spoiler:
Ohh, thanks! They went ahead and called that character Leonardo? Funny. Pretty cool character, though I hadn't a clue what he was supposed to be.

Yeah, would have been cool if Sean had been in there too. That's like all the main cast of the last show having appeared now except him.

edit: That character is actually Leonard, sans 'o' on the end, but close enough.
OMG, I can't believe I didn't catch that -- even after proofreading the thing at least three times. *facepalms!* I wrote it right somewhere else earlier. lol Leo has always been my favorite Turtle, and I guess I can blame it on both lack of sleep and autopilot (since I'm used to writing Leo or Leonardo) in screwing up LL's name. I even took screenshots of the final credits.
Kit31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:48 PM   #7
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Hah, I totally understand, I've done it before and with other things. I assume muscle memory is to blame. (Excluding those that have auto correct memory instead. lol)

Caught the repeat of that one this evening just so I could try to catch what those characters are actually saying this time. I really kind of want those three to come back and interact again with all of the Turtles, along with Sean Astin getting in on it.

As a huge Leo fan and not fond of what this show has done with him, hearing that one line from "Loathsome Leonard," something about thinking they'd made Raph leader just for change and it kind of hurt his feelings (but then thinking Raph actually had a knack for the crime stuff) in a recognizable voice of a previous Leo was a little cathartic. I appreciate that they lightly acknowledged it without taking the route of taking a jab at people not on board with that decision.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:47 PM   #8
SoccerNinja
Banned

Was nice to see Cudley the Cowlick
SoccerNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:27 AM   #9
neatoman
Emperor

"My two dads are getting along!"
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

That line is sooo gonna lead to deeper "shipping" among those who already made it a 'thing' after the way Draxum looked at Lou Jitsu in the arena in that early-ish ep...
Old 06-20-2020, 11:20 AM   #11
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

i enjoyed them. i loved how they all tied together and aprils finally got her flaming bat.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is online now   Reply With Quote