The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 01-29-2023, 05:44 PM   #181
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Thanks! (Sorry, Paramount, those frames were too "good" not to play with. lol)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 05:53 PM   #182
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Yeah, public schools in the early 90s were pretty lax on their visitor policies. We all know what happened in 1999 that started to change that.
Yeah, there were no video cameras and junk back then.

That one episode of 2012 when they snuck into April's school and there were metal detectors, it hit home for me that metal detectors have become so commonplace in public schools. Sad.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:58 AM   #183
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I mean really, raise your hand if you downloaded it... lol
My PC is not a trash can, thank you!
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 04:36 PM   #184
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I mean, if you're as lax as I am on dumping the computers own trash/recycle bin, you could just keep it in there though.
Old 01-31-2023, 11:29 AM   #185
Roseangelo
Emperor

So my new thing is that I can manage ANY of my Facebook pages for 26 days. I haven't done anything new to deserve this, but I guess my account is just generally flagged now.

F- this sh-. I hope this movies burns in hell.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:19 AM   #186
Ashwolf
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Yeah, it's a real thing. Some undergraduate sociology conference paper should really over-analyze the trend to death or something.
the velma show is also another indication of that, which honestly if this upcoming movie is anything like what i've heard about that - tmnt is sadly screwed.....

And here i was hoping that the exes would finally learn and make more movies batman vs tmnt quality or better....

edit - yes, really late on posting this but got caught up on the thread

having april black in rise was bad enough since shes supposed to be irish but making her fat, that mess needs to burn

im not opposed to that sort of change if its stated as a Alternate Universe/reality subset but as a primary - its going too far
as it was mentioned before, theres only so much that can be changed before it crosses the line
rise alone was teetering on that line - the show itself sucked and alot of the character changes were screwed up but at least the movie partially redeemed it...

Last edited by Ashwolf; 02-01-2023 at 12:56 AM.
Ashwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:02 PM   #187
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Colouring book

What is that colouring book, appearing at 10:29, called?

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:30 PM   #188
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I assume that is Random House’s School Daze An Adventure to Color.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 11:34 AM   #189
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

In Tales of the TMNT Vol. 2 #67, Raphael says that "schools are just like prisons."

Aside from Donatello, they don't look too thrilled to be there on the cover either.

The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 12:16 PM   #190
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post

Hey, I have this version of Mike!
Old 02-03-2023, 06:01 AM   #191
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Oh goodie keeping that dumb buck tooth thing for Don I see? Also not a fan of this red heads be black trend we've done for the last decade. I can already see the plot, the Rat King feels like and outcast the Turtles feel like outcast cue MCU hero and villain are alike storyline. I at least wanted to give Rise a chance and ended up liking it. Everything about this just steers me far away from the brand and the comics are the only reason I'm even in this franchise at this point.
Technogeek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 07:04 AM   #192
newhire13
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwolf View Post
im not opposed to that sort of change if its stated as a Alternate Universe/reality subset but as a primary - its going too far
as it was mentioned before, theres only so much that can be changed before it crosses the line
rise alone was teetering on that line - the show itself sucked and alot of the character changes were screwed up but at least the movie partially redeemed it...
Aren't they all that though? Like, Mirage Comics are the primary universe and everything else is alternate universes/interpretations.

Personally, April being black doesn't bother me. It's not as worrisome as changing Shredder to a white guy because Shredder's race and background are important aspects of the story (and before anyone says it, changing Black Panther to a white guy fundamentally changes the character and story because his race/background is an important aspect of it as well). In this case race has nothing to do with who April's character fundamentally is.

Also, wasn't the woman who inspired April a black woman named April O'Neil? If anything that's a deep nod to TMNT history.

Plus, this sequence and design may not even make the movie. For example there's a storyboard from No Way Home that just got released where Mysterio is in it for an important scene that's way different in the actual movie. Things change. Besides, worst comes to worst I'll just be like "That sucked' and I'll keep it moving lol.
newhire13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 07:30 AM   #193
AquaParade
Banned

That’s a healthy mindset , for sure. I’ll still critique this film but it’s no big deal if it turns out crappy at this point.

TMNT has given me a lot of the years, so I’m pretty pleased to still be getting comics from the creator, as well as quality toys and video games.

I used to hold my breath for every new TMNT film, then be let down. Now I’m just content with the other mediums, which have been doing well. If a great theatrical movie comes along someday, it’ll be quite the surprise.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 08:23 AM   #194
Sumac
Banned

But any non-Mirage continuity is already an alternate continuity by default?
And those already including plenty of changes: Splinter being Hamato Yoshi, absence of Oroku Nagi, Oroku Saki being a demon or an alien, Karai being Shredder's daughter and so on.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:23 AM   #195
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhire13 View Post
Personally, April being black doesn't bother me. It's not as worrisome as changing Shredder to a white guy because Shredder's race and background are important aspects of the story (and before anyone says it, changing Black Panther to a white guy fundamentally changes the character and story because his race/background is an important aspect of it as well). In this case race has nothing to do with who April's character fundamentally is.

Also, wasn't the woman who inspired April a black woman named April O'Neil? If anything that's a deep nod to TMNT history.
Race-swapping is lazy and even insulting to minority groups, which is why only woke people are doing it, as ironic as that sounds. Plus, what’s the point of making her both black and fat? I thought we were done with Mammies. Guess not.

Also, in regards to the history of black April, read this:
http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2018/...-black-in.html
Old 02-03-2023, 12:00 PM   #196
Slash-Dash
Foot Soldier

yeah I have my doubts that this is legit.
Slash-Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:34 PM   #197
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I dunno if minority groups find it insulting, it isn't my place to assume, but changing characters in longtime franchises -- be it race, gender, orientation, or whatever -- rather than developing good new ones that might actually stick around beyond one incarnation, is incredibly lazy imo. It bugs me enough when its done with the gender swapping instead of creating equally good female characters.

I have zero problem with broadening inclusion of other demographics in old franchises, but stop effing with characters who have been around for decades. It's a lost opportunity to expand their universe by not instead introducing great new characters that people will want to see come back again in other versions and bring that inclusiveness with them (without making it their whole personality).

More black characters? Cool, so Carter from the '87 series is over there waiting for someone to do more with him and he's been absent so long I doubt too many would care if they add new ideas to him. The human friends hanging with and helping out the TMNT doesn't really have to be restricted to April and Casey at all times.

Instead of teacher April they could have gone with high school student friend Carter, a more natural inlet to their curiosity about school via hearing a similarly aged peer talk about it. Need access to the building after hours? Okay then his mom is a teacher, so he's often there waiting for her after his own after school activities end. (And no, he doesn't need to use his own name as a battle cry... lol But maybe that's just a girl thing because girls are just so damn difficult to write.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Also, in regards to the history of black April, read this:
http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2018/...-black-in.html
Not to mention being inspired by someone also doesn't necessarily mean a character is going look like them.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 02-03-2023 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2023, 04:20 PM   #198
Ashwolf
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhire13 View Post
Aren't they all that though? Like, Mirage Comics are the primary universe and everything else is alternate universes/interpretations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
But any non-Mirage continuity is already an alternate continuity by default?
And those already including plenty of changes: Splinter being Hamato Yoshi, absence of Oroku Nagi, Oroku Saki being a demon or an alien, Karai being Shredder's daughter and so on.
Yes, that is true and I did consider that as well but what I meant when I was making the previous having a secondary version of them show up in that particular version as a one-off appearance solely for that show, whether it was some clone duplicate, experiment, or alternate future/timeline type thing - that would be the only way I'd consider extreme physical changes alright (i.e genderswapping as a experiment result only to be in a sole episode), otherwise keep it only in fanfiction. With all the other physical changes that were done in rise, I was willing to give black april a chance but for me, the grating thing about having april black was the personality changes that came with her character being written with being black in mind. April shouting her name every time her name every time she did anything stealthy or was in combat like she was all that was so annoying. Any character intentionally meant to be black in the base idea doing that sort of thing would still be annoying but passable on personality.

When it comes down to it, the reason why rise teeters on the edge of the line was all the personality changes that were done in it - Don's over-inflated ego and denial of his mistakes, Raph acting like a scared wimp instead of trying to push the tough guy attitude and his anger only showing intermittently, Leo blowing off training and his lack of empathy, etc.

Yes, at the same time all of that allows other aspects of their personality types to show but it was taken to extremes that are on the jarring side. Especially since Splinter was a self centered ass.

Also, whether Splinter started off human or rat, Shredder being alien or demon, Oroki Nagi, and who's daughter Karai is - all of those are story based changes which I have no issue with story based changes overall (even though Leo being second oldest in rise was frustrating, it had a purpose for the story). April being black though - there was no reason to in the story so definite pass on black April on that reason alone.

Last edited by Ashwolf; 02-03-2023 at 05:59 PM.
Ashwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 01:14 AM   #199
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwolf View Post
Also, whether Splinter started off human or rat, Shredder being alien or demon, Oroki Nagi, and who's daughter Karai is - all of those are story based changes which I have no issue with story based changes overall (even though Leo being second oldest in rise was frustrating, it had a purpose for the story). April being black though - there was no reason to in the story so definite pass on black April on that reason alone.
Agreed.
Raceswapping in general doesn't make sense, better way to add diversity is to create a new character.

Last edited by Sumac; 02-04-2023 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-04-2023, 06:54 AM   #200
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Agreed.
Raceswapping in general doesn't make sense, unless it is a new character.
How can you race swap a new character?
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tigerclawisashill