The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-19-2021, 02:24 AM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Apparently there’s still no port of the first except for download. I know the disc is super rare and expensive. You’d think it’d be HD remastered already.
DUDE, you don't know how much that pisses me off. To this day I've never played the first Silent Hill.

And what's worse, about 5-6 years ago people were practically giving PS1 games away. I keep detailed lists of all the games I need to buy for each console, and I update those lists frequently including occasionally updating the average online asking prices. A few years ago, you could get that game (and a ton of other PS1 games) for about $20-30; NOW, those same exact games are around $100, minimum. The pandemic also jacked up prices on ALL games across the board and continues to do so; a few N64 games I was looking at before Christmas have doubled in price since then. It's insane.

And I'm over here kicking myself in the dick because I should've just bought Silent Hill when it was $20 but I kept forgetting or otherwise putting it off. I mean NORMALLY when you see a ton of listings for something at dirt-cheap prices, you could be forgiven for thinking that it's not exactly a "hot item", no? How the hell was I supposed to know? I've never seen such inflation on games in my life. Stuff always went up and down but not like this. Hundreds of dollars for a PS1 copy of FF7; I remember when they literally had copies of that game holding up broken shelving units at Electronics Boutique, and you could get a copy for $10 because they were everywhere.

Gamecube sh*t, too. There's games I watched sit around and collect dust for years at $5-10 and now they go for $50, or in some cases $100. What the hell is going on out there?

Part of me "blames" all the YouTubers. A ton of what I see and watch is game-related content, so I assume that millions of people watch these videos and suddenly they all want these old games that nobody wanted before, so prices skyrocket overnight automatically. That's probably what it is. Sega Lord X has even mentioned and apologized for that very phenomenon in a couple of his videos; like "This one goes for pretty cheap, but now that I'm doing this video that might change." It makes sense, and technically it's not the "fault" of the content-creators... but it's still a huge pain in the ass.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:49 AM   #22
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ya it’s not worth the money now. Discs can be damaged and you just know they’ll remake it at some point now given it’s status.

There’s other old games I want too. It makes me mad that some Nintendo games (as in first party) are still full price even though they’re from last gen.

I’m not against used games but I don’t really like used discs because I’ve had some with scratches that were unplayable.

Another great example, that was GameCube, is Luigi’s Mansion. I know it doesn’t matter much but I feel like I’d enjoy the sequels more seeing how it improved. Plus I just wanna play it.

I don’t have a 3DS so I can only get part 3 for for now. I should probably get it soon just in case.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:09 AM   #23
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

*looks on eBay*

Sh**. You're right. Looks like I'm going to be liquidating my PS1, PS2 and Gamecube collection this week to eBay.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:11 AM   #24
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm not holding my breath. Konami is a real ass company. They don't seem to care much about the first Silent Hill because only 2 and 3 were ever all that acclaimed, so those are the only two they've ever pushed since then. They did an "HD remake" of those two a few years ago and supposedly it wasn't that good. I'm not counting on them to put any more work into revisiting the franchise anytime soon. There's always a chance they could do a compilation of the first three or even four games, but again, I'm not holding my breath just based on how they operate and what their priorities with that franchise have been.

Scratched discs can be an inconvenience but I've so far never had one where the repair kit didn't fix it. I think I can count on one hand the times I even bought a used disc that wouldn't play. Which is why the repair kit I bought about 10 years ago still has fluid in the bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
*looks on eBay*

Sh**. You're right. Looks like I'm going to be liquidating my PS1, PS2 and Gamecube collection this week to eBay.
God dammit you could at least ask me if I want anything first. Chances are, I do.

Old 04-19-2021, 03:52 AM   #25
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Why was that Kojima directed "Silent Hills" project cancelled? The one with that creepy demo and Norman Reedus. I'm not sure I've ever understood why it was discarded.
frank_one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:06 AM   #26
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I’ve only had a couple of bad discs but it still makes me hesitant. If new copies are available I prefer those. Within reason. Not way over release price.

I don’t know much about Konami but I would not be surprised if/when they remaster Silent Hill. They did remake it but quite differently after reading about it. Might be good but I still want to play the original.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:07 AM   #27
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Why was that Kojima directed "Silent Hills" project cancelled? The one with that creepy demo and Norman Reedus. I'm not sure I've ever understood why it was discarded.
Kojima and Konami had a huge messy "divorce" and so the entire project got abandoned. There simply wasn't really any point in doing it without him.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:14 AM   #28
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Ya it’s definitely better if you know the source material first for any adaptations. You understand and appreciate it more.

I don’t usually see something based on a game until I play at least one but they looked good so I gave them a watch. I still recognized some things.

Apparently there’s still no port of the first except for download. I know the disc is super rare and expensive. You’d think it’d be HD remastered already.
I was lucky to find a brand new copy a few years ago for $30
Old 04-20-2021, 12:49 AM   #29
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Wow that really is lucky.

My rarest PlayStation game is Einhander. A 2D shooter. I really wanted it after playing a demo. I found it at a KayBee toy store. New behind glass...but down below the counter stacked with other games. I just saw the side label.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:52 PM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Inspired by the other video game thread, I watched the 2018 Tomb Raider movie for the first time. Pretty good! Aside from the last 2-3 minutes, when it did a full stop on the movie and suddenly, quickly made it about setting up The Trilogy or whatever they're planning. Better than the Jolie movie, which I hated.

Unless Warcraft is something amazing, I might have to give the "best video game to movie" title to this one. Kind of by default, but it's a pretty good movie.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:04 PM   #31
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Wow that really is lucky.

My rarest PlayStation game is Einhander. A 2D shooter. I really wanted it after playing a demo. I found it at a KayBee toy store. New behind glass...but down below the counter stacked with other games. I just saw the side label.
That game is a great grab.

I've got a nice copy of Misadventures of Tron Bonne I've considered selling. I'm on the fence though. I love that game, don't know if I'll ever play it again though. I wouldn't let it go for less than 325 lmao, but under some indirect light I'm sure there's a surface mark. So it plays perfectly, but it's one of those if I sell it on ebay some clown is going to hit me for a partial when in fact that game is fine.

That's why selling PS games drives me nuts.

My copy of Super Puzzle Fighter is the same. Scuff under the light plays perfectly. Ugh.

I think most of my Working Design stuff is in great shape... Elemental Gearbolt, baby.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:06 PM   #32
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Bob Hoskins makes the Mario Bros. movie genuinely watchable, in spite of almost everything else.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:12 PM   #33
sdp
-

I saw warcraft, I didn't like it much but I give it props for not dumbing down the source material for casuals, it went full fantasy and gave no ****s, story didn't feel very warcraft to me but I never played WoW only the RTS games so perhaps that's why.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:36 PM   #34
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Bob Hoskins makes the Mario Bros. movie genuinely watchable, in spite of almost everything else.
Yeah, he was always pretty great in everything. Knowing that he's drunk in almost every scene in SMB makes it a bit more interesting.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:00 AM   #35
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
That game is a great grab.

I've got a nice copy of Misadventures of Tron Bonne I've considered selling. I'm on the fence though. I love that game, don't know if I'll ever play it again though. I wouldn't let it go for less than 325 lmao, but under some indirect light I'm sure there's a surface mark. So it plays perfectly, but it's one of those if I sell it on ebay some clown is going to hit me for a partial when in fact that game is fine.

That's why selling PS games drives me nuts.

My copy of Super Puzzle Fighter is the same. Scuff under the light plays perfectly. Ugh.

I think most of my Working Design stuff is in great shape... Elemental Gearbolt, baby.
Ya the funny thing is I’m not really into shooters but I loved everything about it when I tried it. The futuristic setting, the robots and background music. I was lucky to find it new because I discovered it kind of late. Haven’t played it in awhile but I never want to sell it.

Never played Tron Bonne but I remember it. I wouldn’t sell it if you liked it that much. I know I always get the urge to play my old favorites now and then.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:28 AM   #36
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think I'll give Warcraft a watch tonight and see if that tips the scale. I'm sure it's competently made, and I did play Warcraft 1-3 as a kid... but I dunno. Something just turned me off about the marketing of it. Like these movies that are marketed as "The start of a trilogy!" it seemed like it was being pushed as "The next LotR MEGAfranchise!"
Old 04-21-2021, 07:26 AM   #37
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
My fave game adaptation would have to be Silent Hill or the original MK, but I agree that SMB was a fun, if weird adaptation of the games. And Yoshi as a realistic if oddly small Trex was cute!

One that I really WISH would get a movie is Parasite Eve, because- DAAAYUM, those morph scenes! Not to mention the concept.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:40 AM   #38
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Detective Pikachu was pretty good.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:39 AM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Saw Warcraft. Impressive! Well casted and laid out and even a nice music score. Definitely too "trilogy minded" but super competent.

I'd venture this is the best video game movie now.
Old 07-20-2022, 01:37 PM   #40
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

The Mission to Save Princess Peach Mario movie was good, I liked the classic art style and I found peach tricking bowser to be quite funny.

what I've seen of the 1993 Mario film is enjoyable and I quite liked Sonic 2,

I've yet to see the 90s sonic ova movie but it's on my to watch list
NeonTurtledude is offline   Reply With Quote