The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 04-18-2021, 07:31 PM   #61
Leo656
The Franchise

I've barely aged physically - outwardly, at least - so I'm still pretty much fine with where I'm at.

I met up with an old high school buddy a few weeks ago that I hadn't seen in like 20+ years, and we were laughing about we still look great while a lot of our peers look like total sh*t. Not a bad feeling.

I mean, not for nothin', but there's a certain feeling of "poetic justice" when the Hot Girls who turned you down for a date in high school are like 250lbs now, or the "good looking and popular" jock types are all fat and bald an' sh*t.

Like, I try not to revel in it. And it actually only makes me snicker when it happened to people who were nasty to me back then, and that's honestly a pretty small number of people altogether. But it does make me feel pretty good knowing that we're the same age and yet nobody's asking them for THEIR autograph or buying their T-shirts.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:30 PM   #62
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The strangest and most unsettling part of being 30 is knowing I'll be 40 in a decade. At least when I was in my 20s I knew I was going to still be rather young in a decade, but 40 is not "young". It's the beginning of middle age. Sure, it's not old as in 60+, but definitely not young.

The difference between 30 and 40 seems far greater than the one between 20 and 30, for some reason. Even though the difference in maturity is a lot smaller between your average 30 year old and your average 40 year old. Strange.
I agree here. You still feel young at 30, not much different than your 20's. But when you hit 40...even if you still feel fine...you know you feel older.

40 is definitely a lot different than 20-30. By then you're at the mid-point of your life and then it's only 10 years away from 50...and you know how things go from there. I remember when I was a teen/20 year old thinking 40 year olds were ancient. All the 40 year olds I knew back then already "looked old" meaning they had "middle age faces" and the men were usually fatter and the women looked visibly older than any 25-30 year old. But I guess our generation is aging better than the previous one, so we won't look quite as old at 40.

But yeah it's a weird feeling. My 30's are going by way too fast for my liking and this is the last decade I'll feel "young." It's going to be very weird knowing I'm going to be at the age I remember my teachers being or adults when I was a youth and realizing how old that is.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:34 PM   #63
sdp
-

You're right 40 is ****ing ancient, might as well off yourself, why even live? You'll only be an old grumpy guy yelling at clouds. It's rare to meet someone who is 40 or older who even understand the world anymore, they're so out of touch with the world around them. It's like they made their bubble of what the world should be and stopped evolving.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:07 PM   #64
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
All you "kids" over here talking like you know what being 40+ is like, and my 44 yr old a$$ is laughing at the irony as I try to ignore the fact that my husband is lying in a hospital bed sans foot.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:16 AM   #65
CyberCubed
Overlord

Don't you also have meatloaf cooking in the oven?
Old 04-19-2021, 03:48 PM   #66
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
All you "kids" over here talking like you know what being 40+ is like
Thank you, now I don't have to say it. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The difference between 30 and 40 seems far greater than the one between 20 and 30, for some reason.
Eh, looking back on it I wouldn't agree really.

People are typically still maturing a bit in the first half of the 20s so I feel that, in hindsight, 20 and 30 are more different. Once people get in the 25 to 30 range, who you are, mentally/emotionally speaking, is generally who you are going to remain, so you kind of keep feeling 25-ish on the inside. Even as a senior, according to my mom.

I know, "youngsters," it sounds bad but unless you've made bad choices that life is starting to make you regret, hitting 40s is mostly an "oh, is that all?" event. So far the 40s feel no different to me than the 30s. I actually don't mind hitting 42 later this week... it sounds like a good number. (And it's the answer to it all, right? )

Last edited by IndigoErth; 04-19-2021 at 03:55 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:26 PM   #67
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think there's a bigger difference between 20 and 25. 20 to 25 is when you're really figuring out your adulthood. 25 to 30 is the next hurdle, and it hits hard. Then 30 into 40 is a gut punch.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:02 PM   #68
CyberCubed
Overlord

20-25 is basically college for most people and then maybe their first "real" job. 25-30 is when you basically should have some type of career and a lot settle down to get married around that point. 30-40 is basically your prime adulthood, and if you mess that up, well, there's not much else after.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:04 PM   #69
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah. At 40, you'll be lucky to get 20 more fairly functional years. And that's only if you abstain from alcohol and other vices. And odds are by 50-55 you WILL have some kind of serious health condition.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:29 PM   #70
Roseangelo
Emperor

FWIW, I have a friend whose mom is 90+ and she still goes skiing in Tahoe.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:34 PM   #71
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Goodness. And here I hardly had the energy to go to work because I stayed up too late watching some Bigfoot thing. lol I'll never be like her at 90. Hell, I'll probably never be 90.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:42 PM   #72
CyberCubed
Overlord

I've noticed that even though I get 7-8 hours of sleep every night, I'm still dead tired in the morning. I can't remember if I always felt like this, but it does feel moreso than usual. I wake up around 7:45am so I don't even wake up that early, and even then it's a struggle to get out of bed.

I guess this is what "getting old" feels like. Most days I just can't be bothered to do much of anything if I don't have to.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:51 PM   #73
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Think that's just life for most of us. I envy people who are still hyper and energetic as adults.

I actually DO recall when the youthful energy stopped around age 15. I remember I kept waiting for it to return, thinking I just wasn't getting enough sleep, and it never came back.

Think it was around the time the you-know-what started, so I suspect it may just be normal that an adult body spends a lot more energy on that, er, biological stuff and no longer have it available for everything else.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:57 PM   #74
CyberCubed
Overlord

I remember my grandparents used to do the crossword puzzles in newspapers every morning. Now that I'm transitioning into middle age maybe I should start taking up crossword puzzles. As well as bingo...all old people like bingo for some reason.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:30 PM   #75
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I've noticed that even though I get 7-8 hours of sleep every night, I'm still dead tired in the morning. I can't remember if I always felt like this, but it does feel moreso than usual. I wake up around 7:45am so I don't even wake up that early, and even then it's a struggle to get out of bed.

I guess this is what "getting old" feels like. Most days I just can't be bothered to do much of anything if I don't have to.
If you're waking up tired after that many hours, you're probably waking up in the wrong part of your sleep cycle. Try a sleep tracking app that will wake you up when you're in a light sleep, not deep/REM sleep.

I use Sleep Cycle. Sleeping the right amount of hours has been giving me 100% quality sleep. Getting less (which I do during the week), gets be between 60–70%.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:05 PM   #76
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

My sleep is awful. I basically have no choice but to tire myself out and hope I can slip off to sleep amid the wife snoring... but it usually doesn't work, or only works for a while. Then after she goes to work at 5 AM I can sleep until about 10 or 11.

The other option is downing a few night caps... and then I sleep thoroughly. But I don't do that regularly.

The nice weather out here is doing wonders for my "waking up and facing the day" these days, however.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:01 AM   #77
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Don't you also have meatloaf cooking in the oven?

Lol, not unless he snuck in there while I wasn't looking! I hardly ever cook anymore. Usually hubby does what little actual cooking gets done. The rest of the time, we just eat frozen dinners, quick readymade meals like the big entree meals from the frozen section (shepherds pie, potroast, and such), or I pick up a large deli sandwich or something similarly simple and quick.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:47 AM   #78
ABrown
Banned

Well. Now I can officially say, I feel about as craptacular as I did yesterday.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:33 PM   #79
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
My sleep is awful. I basically have no choice but to tire myself out and hope I can slip off to sleep
So is mine. I take melatonin almost every night to go to sleep - if I don't I will be zombie-tired but stay awake reading in bed or something until 3 am.

I'm going to be 44 in a few months here, but if I didn't have any of the grey in my hair I'd pass for 30. I had one person I hadn't seen in a while sort of stare off into space looking at me and she goes "God... you don't age", which was nice to hear. But I'd say that I'm going to start aging pretty damn quickly if I can't get a good night's sleep.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:24 PM   #80
Lord Nightwalker
Stone Warrior

I'm forty five. Do you hear me bitching?
No.
It is what I make of it. Crappy day or excellent day. I still do the same things, like mostly the same things, and I don't particularly give a damn if you don't agree with my every whim or like the same things that I do. You don't have to. You're not supposed to. I don't knock you for it.
You be you. I'll be me.
And I'm quite happy. Hopefully, so are you.
Lord Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote