The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 02-17-2021, 03:50 PM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

Allegedly sale of print comics went up across the board, not just at DC (with digital going the other way). But I don't have the numbers in front of me.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:29 PM   #22
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Interesting they "borrowed" one of the Kenner Batman figures for that Bruce design.
Yeah, I noticed that right away. I wasn't entirely certain if there was any scene in the movies that showed what he wore under the Bat-suit... and now I feel like I'm steering into Schumacher territory.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:36 PM   #23
Leo656
The Franchise

Lots of people are annoyed that Gary Frank isn't drawing the Superman '78 book.

I have to concur with that. He's made his entire gimmick for over a decade as sticking Reeve's head onto comic book-Superman, to the point where people found it immensely distracting and actually made him tone it down. But distracting or appropriate or not, he does draw a damn good Reeve likeness.

To do a book like this and NOT have him draw it is just... baffling. Like, that should be the entire point of the project, to have him "officially" drawing a comic book of Chris Reeve Superman, and not merely staple his head onto a completely unrelated version of the character. Total missed opportunity.

Doesn't help either that, as many people have mentioned all over the place... that "Reeve" likeness they've shown us is kinda "derpy".

I'unno. Maybe the guy's busy or whatever but in my humble opinion they should make getting him onto the book the highest priority, and hold off on producing it until he can commit to it. There's no point in doing a comic about Chris Reeve Superman with anyone but him drawing it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:52 AM   #24
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I know that DC has been counting their "young adult novels" as comic book sales. Which is dishonest.
Even worse, everytime people say comics are dying, the comic pros point at the huge numbers saying they're not.... even though they're counting manga into those huge numbers which are the majority of those huge numbers.... THAT'S dishonest.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:39 PM   #25
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Lots of people are annoyed that Gary Frank isn't drawing the Superman '78 book.

I have to concur with that. He's made his entire gimmick for over a decade as sticking Reeve's head onto comic book-Superman, to the point where people found it immensely distracting and actually made him tone it down. But distracting or appropriate or not, he does draw a damn good Reeve likeness.

To do a book like this and NOT have him draw it is just... baffling. Like, that should be the entire point of the project, to have him "officially" drawing a comic book of Chris Reeve Superman, and not merely staple his head onto a completely unrelated version of the character. Total missed opportunity.

Doesn't help either that, as many people have mentioned all over the place... that "Reeve" likeness they've shown us is kinda "derpy".

I'unno. Maybe the guy's busy or whatever but in my humble opinion they should make getting him onto the book the highest priority, and hold off on producing it until he can commit to it. There's no point in doing a comic about Chris Reeve Superman with anyone but him drawing it.
I imagine the powers that be think he's too big an artist for a project like this but yeah this is the comic he was born to draw.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:01 PM   #27
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I doubt we would've ever seen Darkseid in the superman movies, so it'll just be fanfic like instead of actually trying to do something that would fit that continuity.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #28
neatoman
Emperor

I'm not against using characters like Darkseid for a comic book sequel to the 1978 movie. Considering the villains of those movies just Lex, Zod, their OC sidekicks, some computer that could have been Brainiac but isn't and a Superman clone who could have been Bizarro but isn't... I can't honestly criticise the creative decision to use Darkseid.

But I do wonder, if Mario Puzo had still been alive, what would he have written?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:30 PM   #29
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I doubt we would've ever seen Darkseid in the superman movies, so it'll just be fanfic like instead of actually trying to do something that would fit that continuity.
I don't hate them or anything but given what the Superman movies did after the second one is that really such a bad thing. I imagine Darkseid and any Apokolips people will fit the tone of the movies.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:00 PM   #32
mrmaczaps
Banned

That cover looks decent enough...
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:48 PM   #33
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Batman 89 Variant cover for #1

First look at Billy Dee Williams Two Face in Batman 89 #2 Cover

Also looks like DC changed the release it will be print and digital August 10th
Old 06-19-2021, 01:25 PM   #34
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Batman 89 Variant cover for #1
https://i.imgur.com/5W3yXTy.jpg

First look at Billy Dee Williams Two Face in Batman 89 #2 Cover

https://i.imgur.com/CXNBJJ6.jpg

Also looks like DC changed the release it will be print and digital August 10th
IDK.... The Superman movies just take place in an era where the non-comic reader thought the ONLY villain he ever faces is Luthor and just nameless thugs or whatever. IDK.... Seeing Reeves Superman face Braniac and Darkseid just feels way too fanficy. Like just thinking how they would have even done the effects back in the day makes it sound like one big fanfic.

But like Batman for example.... at least seeing the Billy Dee Williams Two-Face feels more legit, like the comic will be based on a movie script that was lost to time. As long as the comic stays grounded to Keaton Batman (no Batman acknowledging other heroes, nothing too insane), the Batman comic feels much more 'authentic'.

I know both series are 'what could have been' fanfics, but the Batman concept feels much more legit.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 06-19-2021, 01:54 PM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

Was there any backlash to Harvey Dent/Two-Face being black back in the day? He's white in all other versions.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:19 PM   #36
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Was there any backlash to Harvey Dent/Two-Face being black back in the day? He's white in all other versions.
Billy Dee is not black, he is Lando. Come one, everybody loved him back then. He would have been a great Two Faces, I don't think anyone would have questioned it.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:20 PM   #37
CyberCubed
Overlord

Billy Dee is not black?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:35 PM   #38
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Of course he is. But I guess people wouldn't have seen it as an issue considering how much they loved him.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:38 PM   #39
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
IDK.... The Superman movies just take place in an era where the non-comic reader thought the ONLY villain he ever faces is Luthor and just nameless thugs or whatever. IDK.... Seeing Reeves Superman face Braniac and Darkseid just feels way too fanficy.
I agree, it's weird. It doesn't feel like a legit sequel to the movies.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:53 PM   #40
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm pretty sure back in the day no one even knew who Harvey Dent was, that didn't read the comics anyway. The only villains the media at large knew were the ones from the Adam West show. They could have thrown King Tut in the sequel and no one would have complained back then.

Comics weren't mainstream as they would become later on. Back then if you were that one guy to be like 'well actually.... Harvey Dent was white in the comics' people would look at you like 'NEEEEERRRRRD!!!!!11'.

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 06-20-2021 at 03:26 PM.