The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-03-2021, 10:30 PM   #21
sdp
Megan Fox = April

is this a waifu thread? because it sure seems like a waifu thread.

Since Misty is already claimed in this thread I'll have to go with shampoo

as far as age in anime, here we have example A, a perfectly normal 12 year old:

I just ignore ages in anime since most characters that are supposed to be teens teens act like they're in their 20s so I just stick to my headcanon as it makes the shows make more sense.

What next? Cast a 50 year old as Jonny Cage?

Power rangers did it too, these are all High School Freshmen:

I always find it funny when people project themselves over the arbitrary age of fictional characters. "OMG I can't believe X character did X thing because they're only X years old! That's disgusting!"
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:45 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

Real life shows are the worst about this. They always cast 25-30 year old adults to play HIGH SCHOOL kids.

I think people often forget what 15-17 year olds actually look like in real life, and how young they look, because movies/tv made everyone think High School kids look like College students or people in their late 20's.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:35 PM   #23
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Come to think of it, I think the reason lines are blurred in anime is because for the most part kids rarely act like kids. Look at Misty for example since we're talking about Pokemon.

What legit 12 year old in the real world is old enough to handle an entire gym all by herself in the absence of her sisters, travel the world, camp in the woods without crying or being scared or whatever. Sure she's in the company of two guys but they're kids too. Brock is portrayed as able to run a household full of siblings but he's a kid not much older than Misty. BS I say.

I think most kids in anime are pretty much treated as adults except for the following circumstances.

- whenever drinking, smoking, driving or whatever comes up, it's mentioned they can't cause they're kids

- whenever they're next to an adult character, the adult will call em kiddo or whatever. I mean some anime characters like Ichigo are so ****ing tall I legit forget he's still a kid until he's standing next to his dad or another adult.

- whenever a character cries after some event, especially a male character, they get a pass cause someone will remind us 'they're just a kid'. This is of course, characters that are NOT known for crying normally. I see you there Midoriya.

- on some rare occasion when **** really hits the fan a character or two will start freaking out and the voice of reason will remind the crew that in the end they're just kids and they're expected to do whatever impossible and dangerous task is required to save the world or defeat the monster

Other than that they're more than capable of risking their lives to save the world, fight against giant monsters, dragons, demons, or just act extremely composed and calm in situations where most adults would be ******** their pants and be extremely independent and self-reliant.
This probably should depend on the series, right? You have stuff like the Digimon series where the series is pretty much grounded in reality...they just happen to have monsters and shocked when coming across them the first time. Stuff like Pokemon you have to suspend your disbelief because there are so many kids in that series running stuff or working in general. Look at Imite (Duplica). She's running her own place where she does shows with her Pokemon. Toru (Todd/Snap) is another. Isn't he supposed to be a world famous photographer, but he looks like he's 13 or something. Takeshi (Brock) was running the gym by himself while also taking care of his siblings because his mother was a flake and his father couldn't handle "losing" and skipped out on his responsibilities.

Hunter x Hunter is another series that's a bit nuts. The fact that kids are allowed to even participate in the Hunter exam is crazy! People can get killed during this and those in charge of it, can't be held liable for those deaths. Gon is 12. Killua is an exception, given the type of family he came from, but Gon grew up pretty normally. Kurapika is 16 and Leorio is 18.

I guess in Japan, they like using child protagonists on adventures so that the kids watching can identify with the adventurer since they usually are the types to do the right thing, those types of shows (Pokemon) seem to focus on friendships and the importance of them, junk like that.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:02 AM   #24
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's true of western cartoons too. In Batman, Robin starts off as a kid in most versions yet somehow he's fighting adults and solving crimes and zipping across rooftops.
Hey, speaking of Batman, this might be appropriate for this thread! It's not really editing but it is certainly because of censors:

Now that is hardly much of a difference, but here is the version of the page that was rejected.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:41 AM   #25
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post

I always find it funny when people project themselves over the arbitrary age of fictional characters. "OMG I can't believe X character did X thing because they're only X years old! That's disgusting!"
I guess another way to look at it is that the whole 'age of consent' thing doesn't really exist or apply in a lot of shows.

90% of American shows don't deal with the subject at all unless it's a show for more mature audiences. I mean like ain't no one having sex on Captain Planet or other shows like that, all adult jokes aside.

Most (there are exceptions) action anime mostly deal with the action and whatnot, which is why most relationships are implied or just happen outta nowhere, cause these shows are more about fighting and secret techniques, there's no room for love-dovey stuff. Most of the time the heroes like Seiya, Ichigo and Yusuke are too busy being bad-asses to care much about 'getting the girl'.

And of course you have shows like Pokemon, Digimon and Beyblade and whatever where those kinds of topics just don't come up.

Most slice of life or high school anime do deal with that, however, that's a different matter altogether. I kinda take those anime as people remembering that teenagers are actually teenagers and teenagers want to get laid. They don't act like their neutered American counterparts.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:01 AM   #26
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Haters be damned, BatgirlxBatman ship

Canon in at least two different Batman continuities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Hey, speaking of Batman, this might be appropriate for this thread! It's not really editing but it is certainly because of censors:
I prefer the censored version, it makes no sense that barbara would change into batgirl in the middle of a crowd. BTAS in general was a better show because of the censorship, the creativity to show those same scenes through another context is more powerful than having actually watched it. Robin's parents death for example.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:25 AM   #27
Sumac
Banned

Talking about censorship in anime, I've probably mentioned it somewhere here before, but when Sailor Moon was broadcasted in Russia, most of it wasn't censored. So, there were open Gay and Lesbian couples and, later, a crossdresser.

Funny thing, that nowadays, I am afraid, our religious nutjobs and trash who love to be concerned about "traditional values of Russian society" would've got out of their way to ban it. In fact, several anime have been already banned in Russia including Death Note and Tokyo Ghoul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Now that is hardly much of a difference, but here is the version of the page that was rejected.
It is just Timm inserting naughty joke.
He released the whole book with erotic sketches of characters he drew.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:38 AM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

Sailor Moon was way ahead of its time. For something that was written in the early 90's, it was full of lesbian relationships, gay characters, transgender characters, female empowerment, all the Sailor Scouts have little crushes on each other throughout the series even if they're all straight, etc. It's hard to believe Japanese kids all watched this between 1990-1995.

I watched the whole Viz redub of all 200 episodes just last year having never seen most of the show before.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:47 AM   #29
sdp
Megan Fox = April

America ruined anime, once Anime became a big hit after Pokemon all the American companies started buying the worldwide distribution rights for anime, censoring them and then selling those edited "safe" versions to the rest of the world.

Before that the rest of the world just didn't give a crap and translated the japanese versions without problems and after that everyone was getting the censored versions. Dragon Ball, Ranma, Sailor Moon, Saint Seiya, etc all aired uncensored in latin america, europe, asia etc and now everyone gets the neutred puritan versions of anime.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:56 AM   #30
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Yeah I agree... once an anime is big in Japan, in Mexico it's kind of a race against time. If they can get it before any American company gets their grubby hands on it, you're getting the raw uncut version and translation as close to the Japanese dialogue allows. If they wait too long it's a 50/50 chance you're getting either the real deal of the stupid Funimation version.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 05-04-2021, 09:06 AM   #31
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
I guess another way to look at it is that the whole 'age of consent' thing doesn't really exist or apply in a lot of shows.
I think there is also an innocence in romance that is implied in the Japanese culture through anime that we inherently sexualize in Western culture where we shouldn't. I know, I know that some of the material can be more overt through our eyes, but there is a cultural lens there.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:53 AM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm always surprised how popular anime is in all the spanish countries. Hispanics are obsessed with anime, even more than in America.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #33
sdp
Megan Fox = April

It's not only hispanics but also europeans. Basically they have always had anime, it isn't like in the US it only became popular after Pokemon in 2000, there were decades of classic anime airing just months after Japan, the original Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z aired in the early/mid 90s and had already finished GT before DBZ was even popular in the US. So while the US got dated anime other countries got it at the time it was popular, Saint Seiya in the late 80s another massive anime just as big if not bigger than DBZ.

Those countries were getting accurate dubs, no edits on TV airing alongside Transformers in the 80s, TMNT and Batman in the 90s. All those anime characters have had decades in those countries just like other american cartoons. So why are so many 80s and 90s characters so beloved in the US? People grew up with them for generations, same with anime in pretty much every country. Otaku culture was already mainstream worldwide before Pokemon reached, the US was LTTP.

How can you compare skeletor whining he lost to he-man again while Ikki was getting slaughtered Saga. The rest of the world just had decades of enjoying anime before the US.

Ranma 1/2 aired uncut in the 90s alongside the Simpsons in many countries:

Mortal Kombat was tame when this aired alongside Batman TAS:

Sucks many american generations didn't grow up with great shows of their time because of their conservative values and because of xenophobia of content not created in the US. But hey, Ash Ketchum can continue to eat White Rice donuts

Last edited by sdp; 05-04-2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:44 AM   #34
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
it isn't like in the US it only became popular after Pokemon in 2000
This maybe true for anime designated mostly for little children. Pokemon kicked off a whole run of "for kids Anime" after it.

But the medium was still recognizable in the 80's where the U.S. had shows like Voltron and Macross always on the air once cable T.V. came along. Hell I had a ton of Voltron toys in the 80's - back then everything was accompanied by T.V. shows....

Then the 90's is where the medium became even more recognizable in the States. People were talking about anime in High School all the time on the backs of the popularity of several of the key movies which had global notoriety.

Anime had legs in the U.S. long before Pokemon in the 2000's.

Last edited by IMJ; 05-04-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:00 AM   #35
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I think there is also an innocence in romance that is implied in the Japanese culture through anime that we inherently sexualize in Western culture where we shouldn't. I know, I know that some of the material can be more overt through our eyes, but there is a cultural lens there.
That's true. Like Haruka and Michiru. Their love is more 'I will die for you' and less 'I can't wait to get you home and lick you all up and down'.

Which also brings up a good point that always pisses me off whenever something gay is on a 'kid's show'. They always have to throw in sexuality when all they're doing is holding hands or whatever, similar to their heterosexual counterparts. Like a male character can just hug another male character or, as always in cartoons, sacrifice their life to save the male character', but naaaaaw everyone right away has to go there and already be thinking these kids are gonna be taking turns butt-****ing each other.

Like we can joke all we want and have Robot Chicken sketches, but you know in the actual canon of the shows, Mario and Luigi aren't double-teaming the princess, the turtles aren't running a train on April, He-Man isn't riding Teela as if she were battle cat and whatever other examples, but introduce a gay couple, parents are flipping their lids as if suddenly we're gonna start seeing blowjobs on a kids cartoon.

For as anti-sexual the US tries so hard to portray itself at times (when it comes to 'think of the children' and all that), they sure are quick to link their dirty thoughts to everything.

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 05-04-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:18 AM   #36
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
For as anti-sexual the US tries so hard to portray itself at times (when it comes to 'think of the children' and all that), they sure are quick to link their dirty thoughts to everything.
Definitely seems that way.....
Old 05-04-2021, 11:42 AM   #37
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
America ruined anime, once Anime became a big hit after Pokemon all the American companies started buying the worldwide distribution rights for anime, censoring them and then selling those edited "safe" versions to the rest of the world.

Before that the rest of the world just didn't give a crap and translated the japanese versions without problems and after that everyone was getting the censored versions. Dragon Ball, Ranma, Sailor Moon, Saint Seiya, etc all aired uncensored in latin america, europe, asia etc and now everyone gets the neutred puritan versions of anime.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/f974674c...9_og_1280.gifv

https://media.tenor.com/images/f1bdc...f68c/tenor.gif

https://64.media.tumblr.com/14d0c228...fj8o1_500.gifv

https://media1.tenor.com/images/3cc3...404e/tenor.gif
I always said that those American dubs weren't trying. I mean when a scene in for example "Dragon Ball Z" asks for a blood curling scream, that's exactly what the Voice actress did.

"Urusei Yatsura" is one of the rare anime which was never dubbed over and this compilation of lead character Lum screaming "Darling no Baka!" (Darling you idiot!) shows why, it's impossible to do this justice.

One series which WAS dubbed was "Bubblegum crisis 2033" and when I talk about Not putting in ANY effort...

Okay, cool song right?

Here's the original Japanese version...

I mean come on, this has so much drive and commitment in the way it's performed, the English version sounds like they phoned it in.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:02 PM   #38
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Sailor Moon was way ahead of its time. For something that was written in the early 90's, it was full of lesbian relationships, gay characters, transgender characters, female empowerment, all the Sailor Scouts have little crushes on each other throughout the series even if they're all straight, etc. It's hard to believe Japanese kids all watched this between 1990-1995.

I watched the whole Viz redub of all 200 episodes just last year having never seen most of the show before.
There was a period of time in the early 2000's at least, where finding the Sailor Moon stuff on DVD was next to impossible. I dated a girl for years who was really into that show and it took me forever to eventually find what I think were just bootleg discs of it.

It became an automatic thing on my part to just sort of passively look for Sailor Moon stuff. And now that all of it is readily available on Disc, to this day when I see "Sailor Moon" I pause for a second as if I should maybe buy it as a result of it being a regular search-habit all those years ago......
Old 05-04-2021, 12:30 PM   #39
Leo656
The Franchise

I used to catch a few minutes of Sailor Moon in the morning before school, I think it came on before "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog". I tried to follow it but I couldn't, especially since I didn't see it every day. No real opinion on it either way, but it does always remind me of better and simpler days, simply through that passing experience with it. Part of me kinda wants to watch it "properly" just for the hell of it but with all the various DVD sets that came out I have no idea which ones are the "good ones".

It would also be tough to manage because my wife has what might generously be described as a "strong distaste" for anime. To put it kindly. She's okay with Speed Racer and Voltron, but otherwise it's a pretty hard Nope.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 05-04-2021 at 01:00 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:33 PM   #40
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I remember getting up at 4:00AM to watch Sailor Moon.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote