The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 04-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #21
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Probably nothing near $60. Also how do taxes work with deals like these? Hopefully Peter negotiated that Nick pay any taxes but then I’m thinking Peter would still have some kind of tax to pay. I wonder what the actual net amount was for Peter after lawyer fees and anything else involved. Makes it seem like an even smaller amount.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:53 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Hmm, so it was only $60 mill, looking back that seems like a low number. I would not have sold for any less than $100.
TMNT is really not that big. $60 million for the franchise by the end of the 2009 decade was plenty good for it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #23
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
TMNT is really not that big. $60 million for the franchise by the end of the 2009 decade was plenty good for it.
What was the box office profits for just the 2007 movie? Google says $95.6 million. Not even counting toys, cartoons or comics. I might be missing something but I’ll stick with my no less than 100 for me to sell.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:07 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

TMNT 2007 did make 95 mil worldwide, idmb lists it too:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0453556/

But much less in the U.S only.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:05 PM   #25
DK2
Stone Warrior

Considering the TMNT franchise under Paramount/Nick has generated the Nick 2012 'toon, two live action films and now another cartoon during their reign, I'd think the $60 mil must be accurate value as a franchise. Of course lots of merchandise from these media releases, its given Paramount a modest franchise. But I think it only works in cycles. Every 8-10 years for new generation of kids to fall in love with them yet not even 2 yrs after the last cartoon, we have Rise of the TMNT coming. Not sure this is wise of Paramount. But also it seems to be for an even younger kid crowd. Its sad the films only went to two. The 2nd movie performed at barely even half the gross of the first film. TMNT 2007 film was only a modest box office performance too with over $54 mil coming from North America out of its $95+ mil worldwide take.
Andrew, I too am curious to what Mirage/Peter gave Kevin in the 2000 handover of ownership. I remember Kevin saying he was still getting a royalty payment until the complete buyout from Mirage in 2007 or 2008. Yeah wonder if he's kicking himself for that a little?
DK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:34 PM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2 View Post
Andrew, I too am curious to what Mirage/Peter gave Kevin in the 2000 handover of ownership. I remember Kevin saying he was still getting a royalty payment until the complete buyout from Mirage in 2007 or 2008. Yeah wonder if he's kicking himself for that a little?
I feel like it was way less than half of what Peter got from Nick. Maybe 10 million. Maybe less. I'll never know, and it's none of my business.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:04 PM   #27
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2 View Post
But I think it only works in cycles. Every 8-10 years for new generation of kids to fall in love with them yet not even 2 yrs after the last cartoon, we have Rise of the TMNT coming.
I’m not sure I understand the 8-10 year thing? Are you saying wait 8-10 years between cartoons?
Old 04-20-2018, 12:49 AM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

The turnover for kids cartoons is 5 years. That's why a lot of shows, just like the Nick 2012 show did, had a 5 year run.

It's mainly a reason you don't see too many long lasting kids shows anymore, (bar stuff like Spongebob that has been going on since like 1999), because they end shows after a few years just to make another one. DC has gone through like 5 Batman cartoon reboots in just the last 15 years alone.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:52 AM   #29
Powder
So tired of this place

Re: Dark Horse, I think if they had gotten to do something with TMNT it'd be sorta like the Infestation mini. Or well, that's something modern which has a DH feel to it, to me.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

Dark Horse probably intended TMNT to remain in black and white and "indie" whereas IDW made it into a mass market colored action comic, so obviously Nick knew they would get more profit from IDW's approach than Dark Horse, so they went with that.

I guess there's always the sneaking suspicion of "what might have been" but for all we know Dark Horse TMNT might be over by now, just reprints of old Mirage stuff.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:54 PM   #31
Mr. Orange
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Well mate they probably could have done a better job than Haim Saban ended up doing.
Haha, I doubt Saban would’ve gotten TMNT. If it had been a year later, possibly but Saban Brands didn’t reform until 2010. They had a lot of properties on their radar so TMNT might’ve been one. They did reacquire The Next Mutation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Post-sale Dark Horse only seemed interested in doing Mirage reprint stuff and not really anything else. As far as I'm aware, other than IDW, BOOM was the only studio that approached Nick about doing new comics.
That’s interesting about BOOM. Never knew they were interested, but it makes sense. They’re doing good things with the Power Rangers license right now.

It will be interesting to see what happens moving forward with the IDW rumblings. Hasbro works closely with IDW, BOOM doing PR which will be partly owned by Disney once the Fox deal goes through. Hasbro is doing the PR toys now and there’s a possibility of them buying PR as a whole. Could TMNT and PR end up under the same comic company?
Mr. Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:27 PM   #32
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Orange View Post
Haha, I doubt Saban would’ve gotten TMNT. If it had been a year later, possibly but Saban Brands didn’t reform until 2010. They had a lot of properties on their radar so TMNT might’ve been one. They did reacquire The Next Mutation.
Saban -- at no point -- ever had enough money to buy TMNT.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #33
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
This Saban might...

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #34
Mr. Orange
Random Punk

Quote:
I’m assuming you’re being funny meaning there’s no price high enough for them to sell it to Saban.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I’m assuming you’re being funny meaning there’s no price high enough for them to sell it to Saban.
No, I mean literally. Look at their super cheap-o shows, what they put out. Even their "Power Rangers" movie was made with investors' money.

I can't think of any time they had an extra 63 million to throw at something.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 04-20-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #36
Mr. Orange
Random Punk

I’m not going to make a long argument, and I hope you’re not letting something personal feelings towards Saban, Power Rangers, or TNM influence, but in 2010 when they formed Saban Brands they were actively looking for properties to acquire. They bought Power Rangers back from Disney for just less then 100 million.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:32 PM   #37
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
That's what I mean. Saban was put in control of TMNT in the late 90s and look what happened. Sure Peter and Kevin still owned the whole franchise but Saban was in charge of producing the show. Saying Fred Wolf could have done worse if they had got the rights is a moot point when you consider how The Next Mutation came out.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #38
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
https://s.faketrumptweet.com/jg8hn8s...cnj_hn4v0i.png

No, I mean literally. Look at their super cheap-o shows, what they put out. Even their "Power Rangers" movie was made with investors' money.

I can't think of any time they had an extra 63 million to throw at something.
Which Power Rangers movie? The one from the 90's or the one last year?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:35 PM   #39
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I’m not going to make a long argument, and I hope you’re not letting something personal feelings towards Saban, Power Rangers, or TNM influence, but in 2010 when they formed Saban Brands they were actively looking for properties to acquire. They bought Power Rangers back from Disney for just less then 100 million.
How much dod Saban sell it to Disney for in 2002?
Old 04-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #40
Mr. Orange
Random Punk

Disney bought Fox Family for $3 billion in 2001. Power Rangers was just a part of it.