The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #21
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
Too bad Capt. Lou's not alive because I think he'd be awesome to play Mario.
To be fair, The Cap'n didn't invent the "Brooklyn Pizza Delivery Guy" accent, he merely perfected it.

Pretty much anybody could do it. I'll do it. I'll do it for a BLT, f*ck it. I could eat.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:23 AM   #22
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

I doubt the movie will happen, but I hope I’m wrong. A Super Mario Bros has so much potential to be a good character driven movie. The characters in Super Mario have interesting, fun personalities and it would be really neat to see them be able to fully express themselves in a movie. If done right, of course.

In regards to “Charles Martinet’s voice is too annoying for a 90 min movie.” If people are ok with listening to Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck’s voice for extended periods of time, then they should be ok with Mario and Luigi's. Especially since Mario would be talking like a normal person and not constantly shouting every line of dialogue like the games.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:17 AM   #23
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
In regards to “Charles Martinet’s voice is too annoying for a 90 min movie.” If people are ok with listening to Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck’s voice for extended periods of time, then they should be ok with Mario and Luigi's. Especially since Mario would be talking like a normal person and not constantly shouting every line of dialogue like the games.
How many 90 minute Mickey or Donald movies exist?

Also, I've heard Martinet doing a regular speaking voice for Mario. It's still ridiculous and wouldn't work in anything other than a video game.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #24
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Lol...what? He almost never speaks in the games. Like...ever.
Oh. I thought he did, but then again, I haven't played any of the new Mario games. I only remember the old ones. I was just going by how everyone said Mario had an annoying voice and just figured he spoke more.

Edit: Leo, I know Capt. Lou didn't invent the Mario voice, but he was perfect for it.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #25
Shred Head
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stryker View Post
How many 90 minute Mickey or Donald movies exist?

Also, I've heard Martinet doing a regular speaking voice for Mario. It's still ridiculous and wouldn't work in anything other than a video game.
Not to mention no Director or producer or what have you would in there right mind cast him just take a look at his take a look at the guys IMDB page. Pretty sure they wouldn't think yeah this is the guy we want to star in feature length movie. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0553409/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

I think the last body of work the guy has had that wasn't video game related was in 2003 and it was just standing in the back ground. I respect the work he has done in the games but what works in one medium doesn't mean it will completely work in anther.

"Cold steel meets hot flesh! Thats why they call me Slash!"
Shred Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #26
Leo656
The Franchise

I never even understood why they switched Mario's voice. Like, everyone watched those cartoons as a kid. I mean, Bob "British As F*ck" Hoskins played him in the movie, and it was perfect. He was one of the only things in that movie that was spot-on, and he was drunk off his ass giving exactly zero f*cks about anything the entire time.

Then, all of a sudden, in 1996, with no explanation, Mario suddenly started talking like he was "straight off the boat" instead of someone who was supposedly born and raised in Brooklyn, because, I guess... Japanese people are racist against Italians, maybe? I mean, why would you even think to do that, to give a character that voice? That'd be like, after decades of having a suitable and "normal" voice, suddenly Superman talked like a hick because "Hey, he's from Kansas". Just don't fit.

As a kid I swore they'd realize it was a stupid voice and that they'd change it for the very next game. Still waiting.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:47 PM   #27
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I agree with you about the voice, Leo. Even in the cartoon, he didn't sound that way, and suddenly for the games he sounds like he's from Italy instead of New York. It just sounded tacky to me whenever I heard it on the commercials.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #28
Leo656
The Franchise

That's not even how people from Italy talk, as far as I'm aware. That's how people who write cartoons think people from Italy talk, but I kind of don't think they really do.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Mario cartoon was made by Dic, it was pretty much just a licensed product. Its not like Nintendo had any control over the Mario cartoon like they do with Pokemon now for example.

It was pretty obvious Mario got a new voice in 1996 to distance it from the cartoon series which was long canceled by that point anyway.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #30
Leo656
The Franchise

Are you defending their position? Smack yourself.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #31
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
You thought they were going to continue using an actor from a spinoff cartoon? There's a reason Nintendo never acknowledges the Mario cartoon officially, the DVDs were released by Dic (or whomever) and has nothing to do with Nintendo.

Nintendo likes to pretend the early 90's cartoons of Mario, Zelda, and Captain N don't exist. They didn't start to control their shows till Pokemon, Kirby, F-zero, etc. in the late 90's and 2000's.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:50 PM   #32
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Actually Nintendo needed to OK the cover art and the releases for the DVDs of the old shows. In the 80s early 90s NOA had a lot more control over the properties and they tried to license their characters in as much as they could. It was actually the Super Mario Bros movie that made Nintendo in Japan notice and basically stripped NOA from much of its power to license stuff out and kept tighter control. I think this has been both good and bad. I was happy to read that they were going to be licensing their properties more which is good, that's probably why we've gotten so many action figures lately but I hope they don't just let anything happen.

As far as a Mario movie, I don't know how I feel about it. The Pikmin shorts worked well but a full Mario movie? I think they would recast Mario but I don't mind Charles Martinet(?), I actually met him, nice guy but hten again he doesn't speak a lot in the games just smaller phrases. As far as the mario cartoons I thought the SMB3 cartoon was neat, the Supershow is really boring to me and I never saw SMW. The Zelda cartoon is pretty decent for its premise and incorporates many fantasy tropes that were later used in future Zelda's, the "excuse me" phrase isn't even as annoying as the internet would make you think. Star Fox would be great for an animated show, I remember when I was watching Bucky O'Hare I actually thought this is how an animated SF show would be.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:07 PM   #33
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Where do you get that from what he said? He's explaining to you why it is what it is. The cartoons released in the west were licensed. Officially, game or otherwise, Mario did not have a voice until Super Mario 64 and to this day his origins aren't touched on. Nintendo didn't suddenly decide to change the voice or alter the characters back story, it never officially existed. Smack yourself.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #34
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Then, all of a sudden, in 1996, with no explanation, Mario suddenly started talking like he was "straight off the boat" instead of someone who was supposedly born and raised in Brooklyn, because, I guess... Japanese people are racist against Italians, maybe?
I don’t think the Japanese ever heard of the Brooklyn origin until the live action Super Mario Bros movie screened in 1993. The official voice of Mario was already chosen as far back as 1992, a whole year before the Brooklyn origin even reached Mr. Miyamoto.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #35
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
I don’t think the Japanese ever heard of the Brooklyn origin until the live action Super Mario Bros movie screened in 1993. The official voice of Mario was already chosen as far back as 1992, a whole year before the Brooklyn origin even reached Mr. Miyamoto.
Sort of. That isn't Charles Martinet. Though, he is in that video.

Edit: This is way longer than the one I saw a long time ago. Man, that's something else for 1992.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:34 PM   #36
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Was Charles Martinet's first turn as Mario the Mario Game Gallery for the PC?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:40 PM   #37
Davetello
Banned

While we're on the subject of Mario, and just as a temporary derailment of the topic...rank the main 3D Marios: 64, Sunshine, and both Galaxies.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:40 PM   #38
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Was Charles Martinet's first turn as Mario the Mario Game Gallery for the PC?
I do believe that is the case. At least, it was probably the first released title that featured him voicing Mario. I'm not sure how the timelines of him actually performing the VO for 64 and Game Gallery line up in regards to their actual release dates.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:45 PM   #39
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I need to study up on my Mario knowledge, because damn.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:54 PM   #40
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Sort of. That isn't Charles Martinet. Though, he is in that video.
Yeah, you can clearly see him instructing the guy on what to do. I guess he needed a break or something. It wouldn’t be the last time someone else voiced one of his characters for a live event.

Tags
sega