The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 11-07-2006, 10:45 AM   #21
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

I think there have been plenty of cartoon shows that where based off of toys (or vice versa) that had great plots and great characters.

Like the Mighty Max series was based off a Britsh toy line and it was (in my humble oppionion) an awsome show. It was dark and gritty and had a great plot and characters that incorporated the toy monsters into the story pretty well. Love mighty Max!! They need to put this series out on DVD.

Another show based soley off a toy line was Jem you know that animated show about a girl that can change her self into a rock singer with pink hair with a hologram during the eightes? This was a well written series and even dealt with some serious issues on occasion, like drugs and run-aways and such. Just to name a few. These where well written series.

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:13 PM   #22
Ratking

Quote:
The FlushOmatic in Mich.'s Birthday. Shredder captures Mikey to use him as bait (but planned to kill him anyway). Shredder already had his mutagen-sprayer, laser-blaster armed goons, etc. So why go to all the trouble to haul this thing all the way up from the technodrome. In fact, why even waste time building it? It's just mutagen poured into a funnel that drips down on a turtle tied to the base. Is a machine like this really necessary if you already have the mutagen AND the captured Turtle?!? Seems like Shredder was giving a sly nod to Playmates on this one. I wonder how much he got paid?
I hope shredder got paid lots, cause bringing new things to the show makes the show more exciting and fresh. Should we say no new characters on the show because there advertising too ?
It would be alot more entertaining to use this contraption than to just splash some mutagen on him. Shredder being evil and all, would surely rather torture him to death or slowly watch him terminate, The Japanese in WWll used something like this when they had POW strapped down like Michaelangelo. They then had a small water drip that would constantly drip on the victims head. While water dripping on somebodys head isnt torture, it is a little annoying to have it running 24/7 and theres nothing you can do about it.

Quote:
The foot-ski from Pizza by the Shred. Can that thing really fit down a manhole? Apparently it can, but not without a lot of sweat from Rocksteady and Bebop! Isn't it odd that the villians JUST HAPPENED to be carrying this thing around? And doesn't it seem like they go through unnecessary trouble to use it? Again, Playmates is likely sending the Benjamins to Krang.
maybe its not a man hole. They carry it around due to shredders neat prepartion (you have got to have a game plan, maybe he thinks ahead)
It sounds to me like your not a big fan of playmates and/or you dont like anything new to be on the show (whether it be vehicles/machines). I was wrapped to see new items appear on the show, to me it made the show more interesting and being a collector of this legendary show, i was another item to add to it.

You can advertise all you want, yet at the end of the day only you can say yes you are going to purchase something. And out of all the toys playmates has manufactured over the years i would have to say only about what 30% (if that) has appeared on the show
Ratking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:48 PM   #23
Drtooth
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ectocooler View Post
I'd also like to add that every company, TV show, hell even politicians, is doing this commercial thing lately. Sesame Street = Tickle Me Elmo... X-TREME. Many psychologists are getting on Sesame Street's ass for targeting children. It may be an educational show, but they're making money off toys and stuff too. Kinda sad for a show that's supposed to be public broadcasting and something for everyone, only to sell products that most kids won't get for Christmas because it's the "hot" item.
Actually, Sesame Workshop's profits in those toys (and indeed everything they market) goes back into producing other Sesame Workshop products. Not sure how it's used, or what shows the cash goes to, but they aren't just making money off the toys left and right for profit.

Not like, say, Barney or something else on that network.

Quote:
Another pair of questions would be: can a toy line succeed without a TV show or vice versa?

The success of one may have a direct impact on the longevity of the other.
Actually, you have a point there. But I do know that certain shows have toy lines that flop, but the series goes on for a little while longer. I don't have any specific examples (Best I can think of is Darkwing Duck, whose show had 3 or 4 seasons, while they toy line bombed). But sometimes a show designed from a toy line will bomb, while the toys still sell.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:25 PM   #24
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Behold...

The RETRO-CATAPULT

This cutting edge technological marvel debuted in the classic 3rd season episode, "Corporate Raiders from Dimension X." What exactly made it retro wasn't stated explicitly, but Donatello was confident in his invention to get his brothers out of a tight spot. The results, however, were not ideal at first:

So frustrated was Rapheal with this trial run that he went on record as saying, "A gizmo that throws garbage? The Forces of Evil everywhere are quaking in terror."

Yet, Donatello was not discouraged and decided to try again, this time using water instead of garbage:

But again, the Retro-Catapult failed to save the day. Raph continued to belittle his brother's vision with the blunt statement that he considered the Retro-Catapult a "rolling booby trap."

The history of American engineering is littered with stories of brilliant inventors whose work changed the world simply because they refused to give in to failure. Rather, they labored on, wiser from their mistakes, and finally succeeded. It was said that man would never fly, let alone land on the moon. But tireless ingenuity prevailed for Americans in the past, and Donatello proved himself worthy of elite company and finally succeeded by arming the catapult with a garbage can.

Simple, but effective. In spite of all Rapheal's doubts, Donatello proved himself a true role-model for the next generation of imagineers.

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 11-16-2006 at 08:17 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 11:37 AM   #25
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

one thing the old toon had going for them was that I feel it incoperated its concepts for the toys very well in to its storylines. Most of the time when i was watching the series I hardly ever noticed the "new Gadget" of the episode to much because I was too engrossed in the storyline.

Like Pizza by the Shred for example was an episode that introduced a lot of gadgets that the turtles used during the course of the episode, but it had a pretty engrossing storyline (Michelangelo's deception, and antics on being a delvery boy behind the other turtles backs) that it wasn't to obvious that they where indrocing new toys to tempt us to go out and buy. And this episode i thought the whole segment where the turtles where useing the calterpalts and plunger shooters was very well done, and made for intersting moments toward the end of the episode.

And is it just me, or does it seem like Donatello was dilberetly tring to trash Rapahel with his RETRO-CATAPULT. If you notice in this episode Rapahel is the only one that makes fun of it and he is the only one who falls victim to its screw-ups?

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:27 AM   #26
Ninja Tiptup
Mad Scientist

80's and 90's boy targeted syndicated and Saturday morning shows were VERY MUCH 30-minute toy commericals. TMNT especially, given that toyline wasn't going to happen without a show on the air according to interviews from varying sources. The toyline eventually became inflated with more characters than the cartoon would ever touch on but many of them were used in the cartoon and most likely the cartoon used their cameo's to build interest in the characters so kids would want to buy those shall we say... "obscure" toys besides the regualars from the series. However, part of Donny's personality and part of Krang and Shredder's usual routine brought forth any number of gadgets so while they were toys and might have just been cameos they never really felt like they were meant to sell anything per say. Those gadget toys were pretty cool on their own most of the time so they'd get off the shelf on their own. I'd say its more likely Laird and Eastman designed a lot if not all of those and decided to tell the folks at Fred Wolf to include them while telling Playmates they'd make good toys.

You can have a 30-min toy commericial while still having a great show. That's something I think "toyetic" shows of today can't seem to grasp. They just end up mediocre because they focus too much on trying to make the toyetic things look cool rather than using them more practically and helping them mesh with the general image of the series. The 2003 series didn't feel like a toy commerical to me in the least even though it relied heavily on toy sales. Fast Forward is just a gimick so far and any fool will tell you that a gimick means they're definently trying to sell you something. They can manage a quality show out of that even but typically you just end up with mediocrety.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:43 PM   #27
Drtooth
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Ninja View Post

Like Pizza by the Shred for example was an episode that introduced a lot of gadgets that the turtles used during the course of the episode, but it had a pretty engrossing storyline (Michelangelo's deception, and antics on being a delvery boy behind the other turtles backs) that it wasn't to obvious that they where indrocing new toys to tempt us to go out and buy. And this episode i thought the whole segment where the turtles where useing the calterpalts and plunger shooters was very well done, and made for intersting moments toward the end of the episode.
What were they again? The Foot Skis? I watched this episode multiple times over the last few years, and now I forgot.

Personally, if it's one thing that disturbed me in that episode, it's that Giant Bathtub plug that Donny pulls out of the Sewers. I know that show can be cartoony at times, but they REALLY should have had a little more restraint.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:25 PM   #28
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist

I remember the pizza thrower toy. I don't recall that ever being in the cartoon, but how effective would pizzas be as projectiles? Unless they were really stale.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:13 PM   #29
Drtooth
Foot Elite

I seem to have a vauge memory about them using it in the series... but I cannot confirm this.

You are reffereing to this one, right?
http://www.ninjaturtles.com/toys/1989/thrower.jpg
As opposed to, say:
http://www.ninjaturtles.com/toys/1994/tossmike.htm

Come to think of it, I never seen the Turtles look like a Big Daddy Roth cartoon in the series.

BTW, given the censorship rules at the time, I doubt they would have ever used this on the show
http://www.ninjaturtles.com/toys/1990/toilet_taxi.html
Old 06-23-2021, 07:19 PM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

I wish Needlenose appeared in the show.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:38 PM   #31
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Behold...

The RETRO-CATAPULT

This cutting edge technological marvel debuted in the classic 3rd season episode, "Corporate Raiders from Dimension X." What exactly made it retro wasn't stated explicitly, but Donatello was confident in his invention to get his brothers out of a tight spot. The results, however, were not ideal at first:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56...rocatapult.gif

So frustrated was Rapheal with this trial run that he went on record as saying, "A gizmo that throws garbage? The Forces of Evil everywhere are quaking in terror."

Yet, Donatello was not discouraged and decided to try again, this time using water instead of garbage:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56...ocatapult2.gif
But again, the Retro-Catapult failed to save the day. Raph continued to belittle his brother's vision with the blunt statement that he considered the Retro-Catapult a "rolling booby trap."

The history of American engineering is littered with stories of brilliant inventors whose work changed the world simply because they refused to give in to failure. Rather, they labored on, wiser from their mistakes, and finally succeeded. It was said that man would never fly, let alone land on the moon. But tireless ingenuity prevailed for Americans in the past, and Donatello proved himself worthy of elite company and finally succeeded by arming the catapult with a garbage can.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56...ocatapult3.gif
Simple, but effective. In spite of all Rapheal's doubts, Donatello proved himself a true role-model for the next generation of imagineers.
"Oh no, not that rolling booby trap again!!!"

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:44 PM   #32
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Did any of those toy into cartoon adaptations even air when those particular vehicles were still sold in stores? It seems to me that by the time some things appeared on the TV they were no longer on the shelf. Just speculation, since I was too young to know if they were or not.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:31 PM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Foot Knucklehead spider robot came out early on and was in a Season 2 episode. I do think some vehicles didn't appear in the show till like a season after the toy came out.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:53 PM   #34
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
playmates toys