The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-10-2021, 09:15 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The Animated Intro For TMNT: Shredder's Revenge

I know we have a thread in the Video Games section devoted to the main game, but this is the discussion thread for the animated intro for it...begging the question...is an inevitable revival of Fred Wolf possible?

ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:36 AM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Instead of making Rise, Nick probably would have had more success with an 80's toon revival after the 2012 show concluded.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I don't think a 1987 revival would work, at least not how we would want it to, it would ignore all the later seasons and be a parody of itself basically, sort of how 2012. What people remember the 1987 show being like is different from what it was. I think I'd only like to see a continuation in comic form, a movie but not a new season or continuation.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:41 AM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

They can easily just make a show take place in the middle of Season 3-4 to have the most "recognizable era" without conflicting with continuity. That's what I'd expect anyway, some ambiguous show not a Season 11 if it ever happen.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:47 AM   #5
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I know we have a thread in the Video Games section devoted to the main game, but this is the discussion thread for the animated intro for it...begging the question...is an inevitable revival of Fred Wolf possible?

I could see it working if they have the right script and the right people writing it. I.e. NO Modern day political stuff, no wink wink nod nod stuff...just a straight out continuation like it never ended.

While I like the visuals they chose, I would also hope the animation would be much better.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:50 AM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
While I like the visuals they chose, I would also hope the animation would be much better.
Of course the animation in a real series would be better. This is quickly thrown together animation for an intro for a 2D game, why would you compare it to a full series?
Old 03-10-2021, 09:55 AM   #7
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
They can easily just make a show take place in the middle of Season 3-4 to have the most "recognizable era" without conflicting with continuity. That's what I'd expect anyway, some ambiguous show not a Season 11 if it ever happen.
That's essentially what Turtles Forever and TMNT2K12 did with the crossovers, they went with the iconic era, acting like the show never switched style or tone after season seven.

Maybe a new season 7.5?
Old 03-10-2021, 09:58 AM   #8
Galactus
Foot Elite

Depends what you mean. If you mean a literal revival it's certainly possible although as we've seen they can recreate the animation style reasonably well and all the voice cast seem up for it but it would only be for a niche audience.

If you mean an entirely new show for a mass audience eavily inspired by the '87 show that too is possible and looking at the video game intro it certainly seems more action heavy than the actual old show. When making a new show Nickelodeon will pick elements that they feel the generation will gravitate to. Still the pull of Fred Wolf-Ising every new iteration of the property remains strong. The IDW book and 2012 show didn't start out too Fred a Wolf inspired but then the floodgates opened to Technodromes and Bebops and Rocksteadys.

Last edited by Galactus; 03-10-2021 at 10:05 AM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:33 AM   #9
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Depends what you mean. If you mean a literal revival it's certainly possible although as we've seen they can recreate the animation style reasonably well and all the voice cast seem up for it but it would only be for a niche audience.
Niche audiences are what some direct-to-streaming projects have always been aimed at. MOTU: Revelation certainly is aimed more at the older He-Man fan, although in Mattel's case they are balancing it out with a brand new line and series for a younger generation.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:56 AM   #10
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Niche audiences are what some direct-to-streaming projects have always been aimed at. MOTU: Revelation certainly is aimed more at the older He-Man fan, although in Mattel's case they are balancing it out with a brand new line and series for a younger generation.
I'd be okay with a set up like that for TMNT. A kids Saturday morning cartoon to sell their toys and something for older fans on streaming platform.

Between Turtles Forever and the various crossovers with the 2012 series I think I've had my fill of '87 show revivals but I'd take it over a Rise movie. Frankly a revival of any previous version I think would be worthier of a Netflix slot.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:12 AM   #11
Coola Yagami
Overlord

To be honest, the only revival we ever had were the crossovers. I'd love for them to make something like TMNT The Lost Seasons or whatever. I mean if you're gonna do it, do it now while most everyone (except poor Uncle Phil) are still alive.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:29 AM   #12
AquaParade
Banned

I can imagine a spiritual successor. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all, as a recoil response from "Rise..." and how off-kilter it was. Meaning a similar looking and sounding show (bringing back some of the old music cues really would be cool), but one that leaves behind any plot beyond the pilot season. I actually think they'd try to implement more action.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:39 AM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

Well, it certainly looks like a lot of effort went into this game and it's probably fun to play, I wish I could stand the artistic direction more. I get that it's meant to homage the Konami games and those used the Fred Wolf character designs, so of course this does as well... But then again, Konami did also use the 4Kids designs later on and even before that the games still featured Karai and a few other characters who never showed up in the cartoon. Maybe this game will be a little less "exclusionary" than this trailer implies but I doubt it.

As for "reviving" the Fred Wolf cartoon... No thanks. The premise of the Fred Wolf cartoon isn't expecially great in the first place, the whole "I wonder what the moronic villains we keep defeating every week are up to this week?" thing was kind of stale and cliché by the time the show was new, nor does it really lend itself to much else. The way the characters were presented made them really tiresome very quickly, so even if they were to try and make something new, it wouldn't take too long before it's boring again.

Just read the comics again and make a new show unrelated to the previous ones, that isn't hard. Because bringing back the Fred Wolf cartoon is honestly an unecessary and pointless effort. David Wise, James Avery and probably a few other people who worked on the show are dead, and if not retired. It would basically be entirely new writers and boarders working on the show, why would they limit themselves to making their own stories fit in with something that has been over for almost 30 years? It's just easier to star over from scratch.

The only way I could see that sort of thing working is if it was more of a roasting than a serious attempt to bring the damn thing back, which is basically what every attempt to write these particular versions of the characters have been since 2009.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:59 AM   #14
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
It would basically be entirely new writers and boarders working on the show, why would they limit themselves to making their own stories fit in with something that has been over for almost 30 years? It's just easier to star over from scratch.
There's only so many 'fresh ideas' you can try with TMNT though, when you push it too far out the box you get 'Rise' and a dissatisfied audience, and no big spike in revenue, and the simple fact is for all it's so-called 'staleness', the formula of Fred Wolf enabled it to sustain itself through ten uninterrupted years while every other show with that formula called it a night after 65 episodes. No other TMNT series with 'fresh start approaches' has ever matched the ten year mark.

This s*it works.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:25 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

Honestly in an era where we're getting revivals of Animaniacs, Tiny Toon Adventures, Young Justice, and a rumored B:TAS continuation (not to mention in anime, Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon got new series), I'd say it's not entirely unlikely.

Sadly the OT voice actors are getting up there in the years, especially Barry Gordon who is Donatello's VA. Eventually they'll get too old to reprise their characters, and as we know soundalikes don't always do a good job with the originals. So if they would do it, it'd have to happen within the next few years.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:46 PM   #16
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

YEESSSS MY NEW GAME FINALY ANNOUNCED! I will beat the turltes again and again I will also upload a video with me fighting the turtles(last boss fight) and beating them! They will not escape me this time!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86JYR7bK6RU
Old 03-10-2021, 12:47 PM   #17
sdp
Megan Fox = April

A continuation of the 1987 would suck, the animation would be that flash/digital that would look odd for the show, the writing would be either by people who don't "get" what the 1987 show was and instead what they think it is just like all the media/licensed stuff we've gotten over the last few years. It would retcon a bunch of stuff since they wouldn't care about continuity from the show as well.

We'd get stuff like Casey Jones being a member of the TMNT which the 87 didn't have it. Baxter would be black instead black with vitiligo, this would actually be a good change but it doesn't matter since he's a fly here. They would over focus on mutants since that's what people think the 87 show was but it really isn't true, it was mostly shredder/mad scientists/robots, mutants were barely featured, most iconic characters had only 1 or 2 episodes. I can't possibly see a revival being any good at all.

I don't want it, I mean I'd love a special being done as a one thing or other crossovers since it's a one and done thing. I think a comic continuation would be better, I think the writers would be more inclined to actually care about continuity, if they write something that's crap it's easier to ignore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder orokusaki View Post
YEESSSS MY NEW GAME FINALY ANNOUNCED! I will beat the turltes again and again I will also upload a video with me fighting the turtles(last boss fight) and beating them! They will not escape me this time!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86JYR7bK6RU
I don't know if your PC would be able to run this game, you might need to upgrade.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:50 PM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

I don't see how a revival of the FW cartoon could work. The Turtlemania phenomenon from 1989-1992 will NEVER be replicated. So it would definitely fail.

Old school Ninja Turtles fans are notoriously known for not taking well to anything that differs from their precious FW series. So even if the OT was remade nowadays I'm not sure they'd take it so well.

And lastly, the FW series is very much a product of its time. The people who grew up with it don't want a modern day version with smartphones replacing the Turtlecoms and Raphael having his own Twitter account to post his jokes on. Also, the repetitive episodic formula of the FW series wouldn't work today.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:52 PM   #19
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
There's only so many 'fresh ideas' you can try with TMNT though, when you push it too far out the box you get 'Rise' and a dissatisfied audience, and no big spike in revenue, and the simple fact is for all it's so-called 'staleness', the formula of Fred Wolf enabled it to sustain itself through ten uninterrupted years while every other show with that formula called it a night after 65 episodes. No other TMNT series with 'fresh start approaches' has ever matched the ten year mark.

This s*it works.
But the show didn't last ten years, it lasted nine. And the fact that the last three years saw some serious changes to it seems to imply it had indeed gotten stale by year six.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:02 PM   #20
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Also, the repetitive episodic formula of the FW series wouldn't work today.
There's quite a lot of formulaic television that still flies today.