The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 07-08-2021, 06:55 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

People living in hotels instead of apartments

Apparently now a lot of people are living in hotels for an extended period of time instead of renting an apartment because it's cheaper. I didn't even know you could stay in a hotel for a long period of time, I always assumed there was a limit to how long you can stay so they can free up the room for the next customer, or because they don't allow people to take up occupancy in a room and live there.

But apparently as long as you keep paying every week, you can stay in most hotels in the same room literally forever. Apparently they do this because it's cheaper and you don't need to buy furniture (since all hotel rooms have furniture), and you get free breakfast in most of them. A maid comes and cleans your sheets and tidy's up the place too so you don't even need to clean either. Only problem is you don't have a personal kitchen to cook (unless you get a high-end expensive hotel), and you have to go down to the laundry room to do your wash. Also it's possible the chambermaid could steal some of your expensive stuff like a laptop, cell phone or videogame console unless they're honest people or you lock them up when you're not there. Also most hotels don't let you keep pets, but that doesn't matter if you don't have any.

For some reason this is a startling revelation to me. I had never thought of this until I saw people on reddit and twitter talking about it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:09 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I've heard of it, but I'd like to know where that would actually be cheaper compared to a small apartment.

The cost of a lot of hotels seem like they'd equal the apartment monthly rent in only a week or two.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:47 PM   #3
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Only time I ever heard that was back in 90210 where Dylan was forever living in a hotel suite off his father's dime.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:05 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Well... around my state and others they seem to be moving a ton of homeless into hotels for free. So there's that.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:10 PM   #5
IMJ
Emperor

This has happened.... almost forever, since there have been hotels.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:11 PM   #6
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Some hotels and motels have hourly rates, as well. For ****ing.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:13 AM   #7
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Only time I ever heard that was back in 90210 where Dylan was forever living in a hotel suite off his father's dime.
Yup, during the first season he lived in a hotel. All of a sudden in season two, this house showed up. The only thing that I can think of is that the house was his mother's, and he moved in there after his father went to jail.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:37 AM   #8
Roseangelo
Emperor

Apparently living on a cruise ship is what a lot of old people do.

Well, you know, when cruise ships were still a thing.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:02 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

So do the owners of a hotel not kick people out after a certain time? I remember watching, "The Florida Project" with Willem Dafoe who was a hotel owner, and the lead girl character in the movie wanted to keep staying in the hotel room and was paying every week and Williem Dafoe who owned the hotel said, "You can't take up residency in the hotel, I need to get the room ready for the next customers/tourists" and was kicking the person out.

Do hotels actually set limits to how many weeks/months you can stay in a room? Or is this something that has never been the case? As long as you have money and keep paying the bill every week, they just let you stay there forever?
Old 07-09-2021, 12:27 PM   #10
Roseangelo
Emperor

It depends on the hotel. And it probably depends on the person wanting to stay there.

In general, hotels that accept long-term stays are in bad parts of town where people can't afford an apartment (there is a cluster of such places in the town next to me, and pretty much all of the rooms are used for this purpose). And it's not because the hotel is actually cheaper, but because you can pay on a weekly basis. Whereas, to be able to move into an apartment you will typically need 1-2 months of rent + a security deposit. People who live paycheck to paycheck and make minimum wage can't save up that much money.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:38 PM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
And it's not because the hotel is actually cheaper, but because you can pay on a weekly basis. Whereas, to be able to move into an apartment you will typically need 1-2 months of rent + a security deposit. People who live paycheck to paycheck and make minimum wage can't save up that much money.
Good point, hadn't thought of that.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:40 PM   #12
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Back in 2011, when I moved home from Japan the first time, I kinda had to live out of a hotel for a little over a month. Luckily I had the money to do that. The bottom floor of the house was being worked on to help with getting a better air filtration system in it so...I had to either sleep upstairs on the couch or...okay well, that was my only option and it wouldn't have been fair to my folks given that I stay up later than them and didn't want to accidentally disturb them. Cookie (dog) and my cat back then (Nala) also had to stay at a pet hotel type place because there was no place for them to really stay in the house comfortably since, like me, most of their stuff was downstairs too, especially poor Nala who was older and wasn't even using the stairs as much anymore and keeping put on the bottom floor. After work, I would go visit them. lol

That aside, unless someone has a reason and if only temporary, I couldn't see someone living out of a hotel unless they are actually working in the hotel and the room is a perk.
Quote:
In general, hotels that accept long-term stays are in bad parts of town where people can't afford an apartment (there is a cluster of such places in the town next to me, and pretty much all of the rooms are used for this purpose). And it's not because the hotel is actually cheaper, but because you can pay on a weekly basis. Whereas, to be able to move into an apartment you will typically need 1-2 months of rent + a security deposit. People who live paycheck to paycheck and make minimum wage can't save up that much money.
Oh yeah, you're right. I didn't even factor that in. Most places require you to have a certain amount to put down whereas hotels and motels don't require that.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:59 PM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

Don't all these hotels still have maids and room service? How do you stay in the hotel all the time if they have to come to change the sheets and make the bed?
Old 07-09-2021, 04:00 PM   #14
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Don't all these hotels still have maids and room service? How do you stay in the hotel all the time if they have to come to change the sheets and make the bed?
You really do live in a bubble.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:54 PM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
You really do live in a bubble.
Some of it's obviously just him working his gimmick, but what frightens me is not knowing how much of it is legit.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:23 AM   #16
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Some of it's obviously just him working his gimmick, but what frightens me is not knowing how much of it is legit.
I have a feeling a LOT of it is legit.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #17
AquaParade
Banned

Yeah, I did this for like 6 months when a tree fell on our house & crushed the living room. Thick branches impaling the sofa where we would have likely been sitting a couple hours later.

Turned out pretty sweet, all considered. Fresh sheets, prepared food, and the kicker? It was right across the street from where I was working at the time.

I met some interesting characters too. A guy had been living there with his wife for over a year. The type that loved to talk your ear off with all kinds of questionable stories, but he's friendly and charming so you roll with it.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:06 PM   #18
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's a choice. You have a sign on the door that can say you do not want to be disturbed and don't require any services.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:14 PM   #19
Leo656
The Franchise

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:52 PM   #20
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Unless your cleaning staff consists of a Mexican Peter Griffin, you can't have service refused.

Last edited by ssjup81; 07-19-2021 at 08:50 PM.