The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 07-13-2022, 04:16 PM   #61
TCRI
Hench Mutant

All Playmates need to do is make new or variations in their iconic 80s/90s style. Hire Varner Studios or something?

Anything that's not tied to a cartoon, animation or movie release (where there's people to sign this stuff off and make it look good) is a completely hollow cash grab with poor likenesses, sculpting and style. Although those turtle faces aren't half bad, credit where it's due.

Imagine if Playmates had done what Super7 did...
or had its own version of Hasbro Pulse or Mattel Creations...

I went on Mattel Creations yesterday, for the first time. It has a genuine sense of fun and is self-aware. I ended up buying Anti-Eternia He-Man (I don't collect He-Man, not had one since the 80s). I thought... WHY ISN"T PLAYMATES DOING ANYTHING LIKE THIS?

Last edited by TCRI; 07-13-2022 at 04:23 PM.
TCRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:36 PM   #62
mikey0
Foot Elite

OOTP pic of Leonardo: https://mobile.twitter.com/preternia...C8na-7ufkqAAAA
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 06:15 AM   #63
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCRI View Post
All Playmates need to do is make new or variations in their iconic 80s/90s style. Hire Varner Studios or something?

Anything that's not tied to a cartoon, animation or movie release (where there's people to sign this stuff off and make it look good) is a completely hollow cash grab with poor likenesses, sculpting and style. Although those turtle faces aren't half bad, credit where it's due.

Imagine if Playmates had done what Super7 did...
or had its own version of Hasbro Pulse or Mattel Creations...

I went on Mattel Creations yesterday, for the first time. It has a genuine sense of fun and is self-aware. I ended up buying Anti-Eternia He-Man (I don't collect He-Man, not had one since the 80s). I thought... WHY ISN"T PLAYMATES DOING ANYTHING LIKE THIS?
Although I don't collect any He-man stuff, what Mattel are doing with that license is perfect. Re-release of the vintage stuff. An updated version of the vintage stuff (same design but with articulation). New versions to go with new shows.

It's the perfect blueprint for the TMNT toy license but Playmates just seem to like to wallow in their own ineptitude whilst NECA and Super7 make a ton of cash out of the brand.

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:28 AM   #64
mikey0
Foot Elite

Old 07-14-2022, 11:03 AM   #65
Skullox
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
I still think they look good however, at 6:20, Robo goes over the ankle/foot articulation and it looks like Playmates hasn't learned anything. Still no ankle pivot. I may wait until I have them in hand to make my final decision. At least these are from Target and easily returnable but, damn, man.
Skullox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:07 AM   #66
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Yeah, I think they look pretty good honestly. I especially like how chunky they are. If they ever do a black and white hatched version that isn't paired with figures I don't want I'll probably grab them.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:22 PM   #67
Newton Gimmick
Mad Scientist

They definitely look good, they're just too darn big. Oh well.

Newton Gimmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 10:34 PM   #68
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton Gimmick View Post
They definitely look good, they're just too darn big. Oh well.
That's one thing I really don't get. They try to make these crossovers, but aren't willing to have the figures look like they even belong together. Granted, I guess they did this even with other TMNT characters, since Shredder, Bebop, Rocksteady, and Triceraton are out of scale with the turtles, too.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 11:13 PM   #69
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

They are better than some of their other 6" turtles, for sure. But in a world where we know 100% that NECA is about to release new Mirage turtles of their own soon... I can't bring myself to buy these packs particularly when I don't like the look of those Stranger Things figs.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 11:33 PM   #70
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
They are better than some of their other 6" turtles, for sure. But in a world where we know 100% that NECA is about to release new Mirage turtles of their own soon...
They are? Of the Turtles themselves? What do we know of this?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 12:43 AM   #71
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
They are better than some of their other 6" turtles, for sure. But in a world where we know 100% that NECA is about to release new Mirage turtles of their own soon... I can't bring myself to buy these packs particularly when I don't like the look of those Stranger Things figs.
Did they not already? I mean... didn't the entire NECA TMNT line not start with the Mirage TMNT?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 01:48 PM   #72
Discogod
Resolutely Analogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCRI View Post
Wait until next year and your wish may come true.
Discogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:44 AM   #73
mikey0
Foot Elite

Old 07-18-2022, 08:46 AM   #74
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

I'm sorry, but what a stupid double pack lol
Old 07-18-2022, 08:47 AM   #75
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Like if these figures dropped in 2011, we'd be losing our minds ... but Turtle quality has come such a long way as far as the adult collector figure world is concerned.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:07 PM   #76
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
Like if these figures dropped in 2011, we'd be losing our minds ... but Turtle quality has come such a long way as far as the adult collector figure world is concerned.
That's how I feel. I can't fathom how anyone is impressed with their recent releases when we have things that look three times as costly on shelves for the same price.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:31 AM   #77
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I wish Leo had the scabbards for his swords on the back.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:43 AM   #78
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Ooh. I like Pixel Dan!
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:15 AM   #79
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

I had completely forgotten somehow that Playmates had already tried reissuing the original "classic" sculpts as "Mirage" turtles. That was right about the point I decided I am done collecting everything with a Playmates logo on it.

Having remembered this --- wow. So they wanted you to spend $100 on those turtles to have a Mirage set. Then they go and redo them how they should have been done in the first place, and bundle them with figures you don't want, so that you now can spend $160 to get what you should have gotten in the first place.

But the kicker here is that a lot of you will do exactly that.

And a lot of you will do it even though we all know that these new Mirage molds will come out again, and again, probably as singles in time; if not then probably with way more appropriate, or at least desirable, bundled figures.

Friends -- resist the urge to do this. We need to regain our collective heads and put some kind of cap on Turtle Mania for all of our benefit.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:43 AM   #80
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
Having remembered this --- wow. So they wanted you to spend $100 on those turtles to have a Mirage set. Then they go and redo them how they should have been done in the first place, and bundle them with figures you don't want, so that you now can spend $160 to get what you should have gotten in the first place.

But the kicker here is that a lot of you will do exactly that.

And a lot of you will do it even though we all know that these new Mirage molds will come out again, and again, probably as singles in time; if not then probably with way more appropriate, or at least desirable, bundled figures.

Friends -- resist the urge to do this. We need to regain our collective heads and put some kind of cap on Turtle Mania for all of our benefit.
I think a lot of people will go buy these just for the crossover novelty, and not so much for the Mirage set molds.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote