AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

TMNT: The Last Ronin #4 Preview & Discussion

Preview here.
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:23 AM   #2
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

I can't wait, that series has been awesome so far!
Old 09-18-2021, 07:34 AM   #3
AquaParade
Banned

Solid enough preview. Doesn’t blow me away, and it’s leaning really hard into the DKR influence, but I enjoyed it overall. Looking forward to this issue. I just love the Escorza bro’s on TMNT, especially with Kevin’s layouts. Perfect combination imo.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:23 AM   #4
phillytmnt
Thug

I’m excited for this! The wait for this issue been brutal.
phillytmnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:54 AM   #5
AquaParade
Banned

Another very good issue. In terms of pacing and plot, I think the first two issues are a small step above issues 3 and 4, but it’s been good the whole way through. I am hoping issue #5 can reach the heights of the first two and seal the deal on this being an all-time classic in the world of TMNT. It feels like Kevin has had the first and last issue planned to a strong degree, since the start, while the rest of the story has sort of been “jig-sawed” into issues 2-4,
So I’m fairly confident that #5 will be a strong, confident finale.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:05 AM   #6
Dangv
Random Punk

I enjoyed this issue more than the previous one. There is definitely a huge DKR influence. Perhaps a bit too much. Casey is just Robin at this point.

The highlight of this issue to me is definitely the part in Japan. I like the overall story, however I can't help but feel a little underwhelmed. I kind of lost interest in the battle with Hiroto . I didn't care much for issue #3 and never got back to rereading it. Hiroto reminds me of Kylo Ren. I think someone else mentioned it on this forum before.

Hopefully the final issue will be as good as the first and second.
Dangv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:35 AM   #7
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangv View Post
Hiroto reminds me of Kylo Ren. I think someone else mentioned it on this forum before.
I guess I was the one mentioning him for the first time and I remember someone from the staff coming here and confirming Kylo to be the main inspiration for the character of Hiroto
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:36 AM   #8
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangv View Post
I enjoyed this issue more than the previous one. There is definitely a huge DKR influence. Perhaps a bit too much. Casey is just Robin at this point.

The highlight of this issue to me is definitely the part in Japan. I like the overall story, however I can't help but feel a little underwhelmed. I kind of lost interest in the battle with Hiroto . I didn't care much for issue #3 and never got back to rereading it. Hiroto reminds me of Kylo Ren. I think someone else mentioned it on this forum before.

Hopefully the final issue will be as good as the first and second.
I agree with all this. Though I thought the training scene with Casey was another small highlight, due to the strong characterization. One of the best things about this series is the turtles sound and act like the turtles I know from the Mirage days. It’s hard to pinpoint an example that articulates this, but it’s just got that Mirage flavor when it comes to dialogue.

The DKR influence is a bit heavy-handed, to the detriment of the book. I admire the team behind this book, for shooting for the moon and trying to make this an all-time classic, the likes of - in their words - DKR or Watchmen, but I think they will need a second go-around if they want to sit on the shelf next to those books. This is a certified ass-kicking comic, that really only falters when you compare it to something like Frank Miller’s work.

Also, Donatello rams his staff through a ninja’s face in this issue. That is all.

Last edited by AquaParade; 09-22-2021 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:17 AM   #9
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I agree with all this. Though I thought the training scene with Casey was another small highlight, due to the strong characterization. One of the best things about this series is the turtles sound and act like the turtles I know from the Mirage days. It’s hard to pinpoint an example that articulates this, but it’s just got that Mirage flavor when it comes to dialogue.
What I always try to do is envision the voices of the cartoon series Turtles voicing that dialog.

With this series, it actually works hearing Greg Cipes' voice

Quote:
The DKR influence is a bit heavy-handed, to the detriment of the book. I admire the team behind this book, for shooting for the moon and trying to make this an all-time classic, the likes of - in their words - DKR or Watchmen, but I think they will need a second go-around if they want to sit on the shelf next to those books. This is a certified ass-kicking comic, that really only falters when you compare it to something like Frank Miller’s work.

Also, Donatello rams his staff through a ninja’s face in this issue. That is all.
Always nice to know that I'm in good company, because I have been reading DKR non stop for inspiration for my ongoing TMNT fan comic.

I must be on the right track if Kevin Eastman is doing the same

Last edited by The Great Saiyaman; 09-22-2021 at 11:51 AM.
The Great Saiyaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:30 PM   #10
neatoman
Emperor

How does mutagen contamination work? Is it radioactive? I really don't want to imagine the alternatives to how she could have gotten it into her system through the turtles. Admittedly we do get hints there might be another explanation but I doubt the Utroms decided to inject a baby with the stuff.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:18 PM   #11
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
How does mutagen contamination work? Is it radioactive? I really don't want to imagine the alternatives to how she could have gotten it into her system through the turtles. Admittedly we do get hints there might be another explanation but I doubt the Utroms decided to inject a baby with the stuff.
Which sounds very much like the plot of the 2012 series which is also why April has Psychic powers.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:31 PM   #12
Dangv
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I guess I was the one mentioning him for the first time and I remember someone from the staff coming here and confirming Kylo to be the main inspiration for the character of Hiroto
That makes a lot of sense. I'm guessing they are a fan of the new Star Wars movies? Then I hope Rey isn't the inspiration for Casey and that with her contamination of the mutagen they aren't trying to turn her into Casey Marie Sue
Dangv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #13
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Really good chapter again, loved every panel!
But one thing that i noticed is, is that you never see the Ninja Turtle corpses which makes me wonder: Why is this? Is there a deeper meaning? Is it just to not show the corpses for a special reason?
Mexiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:22 PM   #14
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexiun View Post
Really good chapter again, loved every panel!
But one thing that i noticed is, is that you never see the Ninja Turtle corpses which makes me wonder: Why is this? Is there a deeper meaning? Is it just to not show the corpses for a special reason?
I was wondering the same thing. My thoughts are it's either

A. at Nickelodeon's request
B. an artistic choice
C. they aren't really dead (which would feel pretty cheap, so prob the least likely)
Old 09-22-2021, 02:32 PM   #15
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing. My thoughts are it's either

A. at Nickelodeon's request
B. an artistic choice
C. they aren't really dead (which would feel pretty cheap, so prob the least likely)
I'm going for Nicks request, which would be a dissapointment if it were and not B atleast (If the Turtles aren't really dead, or somehow return, it would destroy the comic for me instantly).
Mexiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 02:42 PM   #16
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Hiroto made me proud! He conquered all new york city and killed 3 of the turtles and Splinter! AHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH!!! The one turtle that still alive is not a thread for me anyway. Also you see what i did to this Baxter? Again he is a robot with just a head. You know why? Because i also cut him to pieces like the 2003 Baxter!
Old 09-22-2021, 03:30 PM   #17
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder orokusaki View Post
Hiroto made me proud! He conquered all new york city and killed 3 of the turtles and Splinter! AHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH!!! The one turtle that still alive is not a thread for me anyway. Also you see what i did to this Baxter? Again he is a robot with just a head. You know why? Because i also cut him to pieces like the 2003 Baxter!
Darn you, Saki!
Old 09-22-2021, 08:25 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

Casey wearing a mask looked like a genderbent Nightwing.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:17 AM   #19
Ninjinister
無問題

Jesus, how many of layers of flashback do we need?

We have Mike and Casey at the front lines against Baxter
Flashback to Mike offering to train her and April asking about Japan
Flashback to Mike arriving in Japan and meeting S(h)inichiro
Flashback to Don and Splinter arriving in Japan
Old 09-23-2021, 09:50 AM   #20
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Jesus, how many of layers of flashback do we need?

We have Mike and Casey at the front lines against Baxter
Flashback to Mike offering to train her and April asking about Japan
Flashback to Mike arriving in Japan and meeting S(h)inichiro
Flashback to Don and Splinter arriving in Japan
That's a lot of sephia tones!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote