The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-21-2022, 12:30 AM   #121
robertfiduciary
Foot Soldier

I guess I will just repeat myself, then:

CAN YOU NAME A SINGLE MOVIE THAT YOU ACTUALLY PAID MONEY FOR THAT WAS *RUINED* DUE TO IT'S PERCEIVED "WOKENESS?"

A single movie. It's all I'm asking.

Because, you see, in a year, or two, or three, none of you will be complaining about "wokeness" anymore.

Just like no one complains about the dangerous "migrant caravan" coming in to America.

Just like no one will be complaining about "Critical Race Theory" anymore.

Or M&Ms.

Like the world, you'll be on to the next thing. You'll still be complaining, apparently. But you'll be on to the next thing.

And you won't even realize it. Because you'll be too angry about the next offensive... whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Everyone who disagrees with you, of course, want to say slur against Blacks.
Are you mentally five, because, your argumentation is on the level of five year old.
robertfiduciary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:28 AM   #122
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Why is the "paid money for" piece so critical to you? I'm sure a lot of people have walked unsuspectingly into SJW/heavily virtue signaling garbage... but probably the majority that do check those out aren't paying any money to do so, knowingly.

For me? Eh. Last Jedi. That's one. Star Trek: Discovery and Picard, for sure. What, is the killing off of Star Wars as a serious movie property and Star Trek as a serious TV entity not enough? Any of those 3 might have been saved by having coherent scripting... but alas, all that's left to point to is an empty bit of virtue signaling because that's seemingly the only driving force behind the people involved in these. Their ability to go, "See? We've got diverse people! Even though you can't name any of the characters! And we've made sure we have scenes that pass the Bechdel Test! And we have lesbians! Boy, do we have them, but don't worry, manbabies... we have lots of explosions to cater to you!" and all that rubbish.

Oh, and the CW Arrowverse. The first few seasons of Arrow and Flash were fine, with a little SJW salt and pepper here and there... but the overall writing was GOOD so it was overall palatable. But remove the good writing and... yeesh. What's left but that stuff? As the last slew of seasons laid bare.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 01-21-2022 at 02:52 AM.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:11 AM   #123
robertfiduciary
Foot Soldier

Interesting. Thank you.

Would you say the scripts sucked because they were "woke?"

Or did the scripts just suck, and being "woke" is a convenient scrapegoat?

I guess what came first: the chicken, or the egg?
Old 01-21-2022, 02:16 AM   #124
robertfiduciary
Foot Soldier

And one more thing I'd love some clarification on:

Some of you seem to seriously think that major corporations (that have an obligation to their shareholders) are willing to spend millions and millions of dollars in order to gain recognition from... Twitter?

The most ephemeral form of electronic communication maybe ever?

I guess I just can't believe anyone would actually think that. But reading some posts on here (that I thought would help with the insomnia, but nope!), it seems to be prevelant belief.

And that just blows my mind.

Anyway, good times.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:24 AM   #125
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertfiduciary View Post
And one more thing I'd love some clarification on:

Some of you seem to seriously think that major corporations (that have an obligation to their shareholders) are willing to spend millions and millions of dollars in order to gain recognition from... Twitter?

The most ephemeral form of electronic communication maybe ever?

I guess I just can't believe anyone would actually think that. But reading some posts on here (that I thought would help with the insomnia, but nope!), it seems to be prevelant belief.

And that just blows my mind.

Anyway, good times.
Well, as it's turning out... going woke doesn't actually get you broke. It entitles you to ESG monies, if you can prove your project and company is progressive and diverse satisfactorily. Even if your project lands in the red. Funded by the Hollywood elite who high five each other.

Quote:
Interesting. Thank you.

Would you say the scripts sucked because they were "woke?"

Or did the scripts just suck, and being "woke" is a convenient scrapegoat?

I guess what came first: the chicken, or the egg?
Well, let's go back a step. A textbook good story, be it in comics or TV or film lives or dies because of the care of the storytelling, of the craft of characters and their arcs. Making us care about characters and have us either rooting for them or wishing them defeated. Everything else must exist in the service of these things or they are unnecessary or, at least, should only exist in the periphery. Now, if you have a strong story, a good solid framework narratively? You can kind of do whatever you want. But you have to at least have that, as a bare minimum.

2020-2022? We're seeing a ton of projects that treat these things as secondary. The primary is the diversity, the celebrating of the sexual identity, or that this is a tough black lesbian female, and there is a leading transgender character or there are a bunch of people coming out... they begin the "creative" process with this and THEN they start to kind of worry about stringing together some kind of flimsy story to house this, like an annoyance or a pesky afterthought. This is precisely the problem. Instead of the other way around. The notion that as long as there is the diversity and some "bold" SJW stuff baked in somewhere, you can talk about how bold it is over lattes with like-minded liberals... and that that is enough to equal a good story, equivalent to all stories before this weird movement? It isn't. It never will be. They aren't fooling anybody but themselves, who've already bought into the whole thing wholesale because idealogy. All the while, they still don't understand "story."

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 01-21-2022 at 02:59 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:44 AM   #126
Sumac
Banned

Quote:

CAN YOU NAME A SINGLE MOVIE THAT YOU ACTUALLY PAID MONEY FOR THAT WAS *RUINED* DUE TO IT'S PERCEIVED "WOKENESS?"

Because, you see, in a year, or two, or three, none of you will be complaining about "wokeness" anymore.

Just like no one complains about the dangerous "migrant caravan" coming in to America.

Just like no one will be complaining about "Critical Race Theory" anymore.

Or M&Ms.

Like the world, you'll be on to the next thing. You'll still be complaining, apparently. But you'll be on to the next thing.

And you won't even realize it. Because you'll be too angry about the next offensive... whatever.
You are delusional, if you think that "Critical Race Theory" and illegals are not a threat to the US. Also, it is your lot who loves to skip and hypocritically change views depending on the day. No need to project your immaturity and hypocrisy on others, Bobby.

As for the movies, why I should pay for them? What if I watched them on TV?
As for which ones were ruined by "woke": Ghostbusters'16, Terminator: Dark Fart, SW: The Last Jedi.
While none of this movies were ruined exclusively by woke content, all of them were marketed as "woke" and included some "woke" values, which, coupled with bad writing and acting made them bad.

Hopefully this answers your question.

Quote:
It is not that simple: in normal world no-one would bother pandering to the "activists" on Twatter. However, those activists are used by megacorporations and certain politicians to promote their agendas - which are acquiring more power and money.

Thus, sometimes, studios can overlook financial losses and make some garbage, just get those keyboard warriors all sweaty and excited. With that they signal their "loyalty to the cause" and got their losses compensated in the future by having a tight relationship with the right people.

Otherwise it is hard to explain how garbage like Angels' Charlie or Batwoman ever get made, since those works are seemingly horrible from both conceptual and executional values.

Last edited by Sumac; 01-21-2022 at 06:50 AM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:26 AM   #127
AquaParade
Banned

Hollywood does pander to Twitter lately. Or the culture prevalent on Twitter, which involves a lot of signal boosting, victimization, silencing of opposing views, and aggressive levels of forced "diversity".

I'm a pretty open-minded person. I got love for all my brothers and sisters, and I welcome progressive values. Basically do anything you want as long as it doesn't hurt someone else, is my perspective. Even I notice the pandering.

These companies do pander to that crowd because they are the most vocal portion of the fan base. Hollywood follows the trends. As we have started to see, it's not exactly a recipe for success, however. Hollywood has to make mistakes and learn how to exist in an evolving, social-media hinged world. This was a byproduct of that.

That said, there has been an over correction on the opposite side of the fence as well. All this culture war **** is comprised of overreactions. Now, especially here on the drome, almost anything starring a woman or a black person is considered "woke" or treated as if it has an agenda. It's getting pretty old on all sides.

Go to the Batman thread and you'll see everyone has their undies in a twist because Gordon and Selena are black. Doesn't matter if they are good actors. People are mad because they were white in the comics and now they're black. Hell, there could be some studio pandering involved there, but most of the cast are proven to be fantastic actors, so my first point of interest isn't their skin color. I just think there's a level of paranoia and neuroticism that has evolved as a counterpoint to the pandering.
It's a bit like Trump derangement syndrome.

Last edited by AquaParade; 01-21-2022 at 07:39 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:08 AM   #128
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I think the only 'woke' works I paid to see were Black Panther and Captain Marvel. IMO the only thing 'woke' I saw in Black Panther is the fact the only 2 white people were either a bungler or a bad guy, and even the bungler was more 'fish out of water' and more of a regular guy that wasn't a superhero or a tribal warrior. Also didn't like the 'Colonizer' line. First off that dude was born in the modern century so he himself is not a colonizer, and second that word in itself is stupid.

It might sound bad to say but now in 2022, who cares if 'we' colonized this country? You wouldn't be here sipping on your triple soy Starbucks latte if 'we' didn't. Secondly anyone non-white complaining about it..... well I don't exactly see you packing your bags and moving back to your country of origin, so STFU. And that includes me, I've lived in Mexico for a bit and have some good times, and until I stopped drinking the leftist Kool-Aid, I'm actually happy and never been happier living in America. Now I can drink one of those Starbucks coffee but hold the soy.

As for Captain Marvel, like many, I watched it to see any hints whatever would lead to End Game.

I don't watch woke show or movies. It's hard to be 'tricked' by them. The trailers themselves look terrible. The directors and actors in them are either already known for spewing woke **** or now start spewing all sorts of woke **** once they get brought on board the movie or show. Hey, if so and so says 'sorry boys, this movie isn't for you', I say 'OK' and direct my money elsewhere. Can't blame me, you're the one that told a sizeable chunk of your audience that the thing you're making or starring in isn't for them. Don't cry when almost no one shows up to see it. The ones your are targeting care more about posting 'OMG I'm gonna go see (whatever) today, aren't I special and virtuous?' than actually seeing it.

It's like this unhealthy compulsion to announce you're so excited to get your booster today and posting selfies all over social media. It's becoming a compulsion to virtu signal for these people.

But yeah, anything woke, I simple don't watch. Let it die. It's easy cause they can't help to give themselves away. They're so excited to spread their message they even do it before the stupid thing is even released. So far there has not been a bait and switch because they can't help themselves. There has not been a trailer of say.... John Wick 4 full of action and all sort of badassery and having everyone involved just talk about how much fun they had filming it and whatnot, zero politics... and then the actual movie is sjw woke propaganda beginning to end and Wick was trans the whole time. It just doesn't happen. The woke can't help themselves. They HAVE to gush all about it. And when they do, I direct my money elsewhere.

This 'anime' show called High Guardian Spice, a Crunchyroll original, their first trailer was literally 'DIVERSE, DIVERSE, DIVERSE, LOOK HOW DIVERSE WE ARE' even though they're all women. Literally that, interviews with the showrunners about diversity. No mention of the plot, the characters, not even the main characters. It finally came out late last year and surprise surprise, it bombed.

Let's not forget those woke superheroes Marvel tried to push called Snowflake and Safespace that were so woke Marvel themselves cancelled it.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 01-21-2022 at 08:30 AM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:35 AM   #129
CyberCubed
Overlord

Black Panther was semi-woke. It's a movie about a black country in Africa but it wasn't all "black people are good, white people are bad" mentality. Plus the main villain was a fellow black from the hood, it's not like a white man was the core villain that the black hero had to save.

A movie about black people isn't inherently woke. Blacks have always had TV shows and movies like Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:41 AM   #130
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
As for which ones were ruined by "woke": Ghostbusters'16, Terminator: Dark Fart, SW: The Last Jedi.
Oh yeah, Terminator: Dark Fate for sure. Goodness gracious, that was a big "SJW: The Revenge" movie, through and through, "fixing" the "problematic" things about the franchise, killing off the "white savior" and avenging Trump building the wall by murdering a lot of Border Patrol.

GB16... I don't know that it necessarily is "woke." It has a general sort of feminist agenda, for sure, but mostly it's just a really bad movie that went in front of cameras with barely a script. The most notable SJW/woke stuff surrounding the movie is what came AFTER the movie came out, from all the pink-haired ladies and feminine men/men with girlfriends who have boyfriends saying things like, "We NEED this to be a success!" and "It is important that little girls have heroes, too!" and the big push there on all fronts.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:52 AM   #131
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Oh yeah, Terminator: Dark Fate for sure. Goodness gracious, that was a big "SJW: The Revenge" movie, through and through, "fixing" the "problematic" things about the franchise, killing off the "white savior" and avenging Trump building the wall by murdering a lot of Border Patrol.

GB16... I don't know that it necessarily is "woke." It has a general sort of feminist agenda, for sure, but mostly it's just a really bad movie that went in front of cameras with barely a script. The most notable SJW/woke stuff surrounding the movie is what came AFTER the movie came out, from all the pink-haired ladies and feminine men/men with girlfriends who have boyfriends saying things like, "We NEED this to be a success!" and "It is important that little girls have heroes, too!" and the big push there on all fronts.
I hated how all the women were competent while the only male was a stupid idiot only there to be ogled, as some sort of 'take that!', while in the original movies, Janine was not a ditz at all and the guys were not drooling over her, nor did they hire her for sex appeal, which she didn't really had any, except for those that were into the librarian look.

Feminism and SJWs go hand in hand. At least modern feminism that isn't about equality but about superiority and killing all men and such nonsense.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:13 AM   #132
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Oh, yeah, moment with killing border patrol was cringe, especially, since, I think, director (?) said something to the effect that it was a commentary or something, so it was 100% done on purpose like that. And Sarah's line about (paraphrasing) "Not being just a walking womb for a savior".

This line is so ****ing dumb, especially in the context of Terminator 1 and 2, which explicitly had stated and shown that, if it was not for Sarah upbringing and training, John wouldn't become savior of humanity and she, Sarah, was considered a legend in her own right in the Resistance.

Its almost like people in charge of that movie did a really bad job at getting familiar with the past one or ignored certain stuff to put in their dumb propaganda.

As for GB'16, like I said, it wasn't bad, because, it was "woke", it was merely part of it, like with other movies I mentioned. But the whole concept "take famous property and sex-swap heroes into heroines" is a go to MO of SJWs. Of course, shitshow which had followed was greater than a movie.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:32 PM   #133
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
You just want to say n**ger so bad, don't you?
No. Not at all, no.

You f$#%in' idiot.

Wasn't even remotely on my mind. Not even a stirring thought.

Ya f$#%in' idiot.

Quote:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Completely, utterly ruined by woke $#!(.

That's enough biting on your lure for me. You think you are making some strong point or moral stand. You aren't. I'm sure you think you are. But you aren't. And so, my response was a courtesy on the merits of your 'question'.

It's clear that this is perceptual, socially-maladjusted world-view issue for you whereas it's a social-observational issue for me. Huge difference. Your gonna have to struggle with some more life-problems before you see the realities here, if you ever do.

Ya Damn dufus.

Roberfiduciary = slovenly, unempowered fool

Last edited by IMJ; 01-21-2022 at 07:46 PM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:30 PM   #134
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

‘Batgirl’: Ivory Aquino To Play Alysia Yeoh, First Trans Character In A Live-Action DC Film

Quote:
Ivory Aquino (When They See Us, Tales of the City) has joined the cast of Batgirl, the upcoming superhero film that Bad Boys for Life‘s Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah are directing for HBO Max.

Alysia Yeoh was created by writer Gail Simone and artist Ardian Syaf for DC Comics and is often considered iconic in her own right, being one of the first major contemporary trans characters in mainstream comic book history – a fact that has carried over to the movieverse as Yeoh will also be the first trans character in a live-action DC film. At the moment, specifics about the character and the film’s plot are being kept close to the vest as is common with superhero movies these days, but it will follow the adventures of Barbara Gordon aka Batgirl, a vigilante in Gotham City as well as the daughter of Gotham police commissioner James Gordon.
https://deadline.com/2022/01/batgirl...ie-1234918905/
Old 01-24-2022, 06:58 PM   #135
CyberCubed
Overlord

Uh-oh. The warning bells are going off.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:22 PM   #136
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
‘Batgirl’: Ivory Aquino To Play Alysia Yeoh, First Trans Character In A Live-Action DC Film

https://deadline.com/2022/01/batgirl...ie-1234918905/
Aaaaand we're done here. Pass.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:00 PM   #137
Sumac
Banned

More propaganda of insanity.
I wonder, do those trans activists and their handmaidens of both sexes, even comprehend that no matter how much they try to push idea that men can arbitrary become a woman, it will never happen in real world?

Or they are OK with this idea as long as rest of population superficially agrees with them and scared to argue?
Old 01-24-2022, 09:48 PM   #138
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

You can imagine what -- or rather who -- Batgirl's failure will be attributed to. Racist transphobes.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:50 PM   #139
CyberCubed
Overlord

I mean they know what they were doing.

Instead of a white Barbara Gordon with red hair, they went with a dark-skinned one. And now adding a trans character. It's basically cast to pander to that crowd from the start.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:17 PM   #140
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I mean they know what they were doing.

Instead of a white Barbara Gordon with red hair, they went with a dark-skinned one. And now adding a trans character. It's basically cast to pander to that crowd from the start.
And they'll say, naturally, "But it's a character from the comics!!!"

Yeah, one made like last year. In the middle of a hotbed of an SJW takeover of... just about everything at Marvel and DC. Doesn't count.