The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #21
sdp
-

I've never watched cowboy beebop.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:48 PM   #22
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Here's a side by side comparison of the opening title sequence to the anime and live action Cowboy Bebop.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:13 AM   #25
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
WTF??!! This looks so weirdly stupid I'd watch it just to give it a MST3 treatment, lmao!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:13 PM   #26
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Here's the official trailer.

Old 12-09-2021, 04:58 PM   #28
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Cancelled after only one season

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...ix-1235060256/
Old 12-10-2021, 03:20 AM   #29
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
That was bound to happen. It wasn't well received at all
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:29 PM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

One Piece adaption will get canceled in 1 season too.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:42 PM   #31
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
That was bound to happen. It wasn't well received at all
Wasn't there some unnecessary woke $#!( in it?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #32
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Wasn't there some unnecessary woke $#!( in it?
Not from the ones I watched, but then I only saw four episodes
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:49 PM   #33
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Not from the ones I watched, but then I only saw four episodes
Oh okay, I thought there were some observations about a man playing a woman or something gender swapped, or that a woman who was normally a sexy cartoon was instead a butch-bitch covered head-to-toe and then made a public-virtue-stand on it or something like that.

I'm not very informed on it - as soon as I sensed "woke $#!(" I was literally done on the spot.
Old 12-10-2021, 03:38 PM   #34
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Oh okay, I thought there were some observations about a man playing a woman or something gender swapped, or that a woman who was normally a sexy cartoon was instead a butch-bitch covered head-to-toe and then made a public-virtue-stand on it or something like that.

I'm not very informed on it - as soon as I sensed "woke $#!(" I was literally done on the spot.
I watched the first two episodes but I have the gist about more of it.

1. The "gender swapped" was on two fronts. There was a character named Gren who in the anime was a soldier who was experimented on while in the military, increasing the estrogen in his system and giving him a more soft look and boobs. Still 'presented' male and all that. Well, he is now a pronouned a she, and instead of being a sax player in a classy small jazz bar, she is the super out there trans host(ess) in a sequin cocktail dress. The second part is radical edward. She was a super skinny young tomboy who got confused as being a boy in one or two episodes and acts like a typical silly energetic kid who happens to be a super hacker. Now she is they and acts like your kid brother when he really wants your attention.

2. They changed one of the main 3 characters. Faye Valentine was a 'classy' woman who was sort of lost in the world because of background and used her looks to get people into where she needed to go to hunt bounties. She wasn't a big fighter and used a smaller caliber gun that was easier to conceal in her more revealing clothing. Now she is a typical manic feminist dream girl yelling nonsense that does not belong in this series who can keep up with the expertly trained ex-yakuza (equivalent) assassin Spike Spegal in combat for no reason other then "woman" and is (of course) a lesbian.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut810 View Post

1. The "gender swapped" was on two fronts. There was a character named Gren who in the anime was a soldier who was experimented on while in the military, increasing the estrogen in his system and giving him a more soft look and boobs. Still 'presented' male and all that. Well, he is now a pronouned a she, and instead of being a sax player in a classy small jazz bar, she is the super out there trans host(ess) in a sequin cocktail dress. The second part is radical edward. She was a super skinny young tomboy who got confused as being a boy in one or two episodes and acts like a typical silly energetic kid who happens to be a super hacker. Now she is they and acts like your kid brother when he really wants your attention.

2. They changed one of the main 3 characters. Faye Valentine was a 'classy' woman who was sort of lost in the world because of background and used her looks to get people into where she needed to go to hunt bounties. She wasn't a big fighter and used a smaller caliber gun that was easier to conceal in her more revealing clothing. Now she is a typical manic feminist dream girl yelling nonsense that does not belong in this series who can keep up with the expertly trained ex-yakuza (equivalent) assassin Spike Spegal in combat for no reason other then "woman" and is (of course) a lesbian.
Yeesh. No thank you.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:00 PM   #36
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:

Oh that's gonna be years of fuel about idiot-America from Japan right there, I'd imagine. And those are the same people who loved the Ghost In The Shell movie with Scarlett, which was terrific of course. So basically if it turns out that they hate Netflix Cowboy Bebop, then "whump there it is."
Old 12-10-2021, 04:13 PM   #37
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Oh that's gonna be years of fuel about idiot-America from Japan right there, I'd imagine. And those are the same people who loved the Ghost In The Shell movie with Scarlett, which was terrific of course. So basically if it turns out that they hate Netflix Cowboy Bebop, then "whump there it is."
The part that I think is the funniest about this is that if they weren't changing things to be more 'progressive' and it was not Japanese (because they are innately problematic) this show would be lambasted as cultural appropriation and cultural imperialism.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:19 PM   #38
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
The part that I think is the funniest about this is that if they weren't changing things to be more 'progressive' and it was not Japanese (because they are innately problematic) this show would be lambasted as cultural appropriation and cultural imperialism.
Sounds like what you are saying is that wider left - the people of twitter, liberal media, the small complainers - are all pretty much full of $#!(, and that they will simply vacillate to whatever pyre they can in order to get "personal elevation" from their complaint-and-assault-platform? Pretty much sounds like what you are saying there...

Hm. Crazy.

Yeah but this show looked like woke $#!(, and when you combine that with the fact that most anime is so deeply steeped in the culture of that animated-medium, then you get that it's probably not very often that you can adapt anime to live-action and have it go over well.

Anyone ever see the live-action "Fist of the North Star" with Gary Daniels? Talk about a cult-classic train wreck. The DVD is a pretty hardcore collector's item though...
Old 12-10-2021, 09:26 PM   #39
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Yeah it was a **** show. The Faye actress made some virtue signaly comment about not being able to move as well in such a skimpy outfit and whatnot, while she herself has shown to have no problems with posing and whatnot while wearing skimpy outfits in some other outfits. And not tot mention the thousands of hot Faye Cosplayers that prove real people can wear that outfit.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:23 AM   #40
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Thanksgiving Day 2021.

I was by myself, so I decided to pop in some TV show pilots to watch out of boredom. I started with Hawkeye, and was pleasantly surprised by it. I haven't been a fan of the MCU for a while, so I wasn't expecting much. Though I did enjoy Hawkeye more than the other MCU shows (save for Loki which I liked most of.....until the awful ending that essentially ruined it). So I sighed to myself, and said, "Wow, that was pretty satisfying! Okay, let's see... Next I'll do..." Then I saw Cowboy Bebop on the website I was watching Hawkeye on (Hint: Not Netflix or Disney+ if you catch my drift).

I had been planning to chase Hawkeye down with a dose of Cowboy Bebop. During the past few days, I'd heard some bad crap about this live action adaptation, and saw the clip of Ed from the final episode. I scratched my chin a little, and said out loud, "Do I dare?" Since I'm the type of person who likes to play with fire, I hit play on the video.

I watched 90% of the first episode. It was terrible. You know what, terrible is probably not even the best word to describe it, though not sure what a better word would be. Maybe 'worthless excrement'? From the get-go, you can tell the show is trying very hard to be 'badass'. I hated the dialogue. I can't imagine the words spilling out of John Cho's mouth coming out of Spike Spiegel. I can't even imagine Spike killing the bounties??? And then joking about it afterwards???????

I hated the interactions between Spike and Jet in this. In the original anime's pilot, you can see the show went out of its way to have a brief scene of them on the ship, interacting and eating together. You get a good feel that they're old friends, and they are living a hard luck life. They riff on each other like brothers just a little bit. Their friendship is close, even in episode 1.

In Netflix Bebop, they act like fricking frat boys that can barely stand each other. They seem to be in on the bounty hunting thing just to make money, and have an excuse to execute people.

All of the nuance between Spike and Katerina is gone in the live action version. They introed Faye during the pilot of Netflix Bebop, which served to interrupt Spike bonding with Katerina, which was VERY important in the original, and also disrupted the flow of the episode. By introducing Faye so quickly, the episode lost momentum and focus, and became 'overcrowded' with crap going on. Have I mentioned that the characters act like murderous psycopaths in this show? Because they do, the three leads don't seem to give a damn about killing people including innocents. It's all played for laughs. Yes, in the anime, Spike had to kill too, and was once a killer, though the difference is that the anime added many layers of depth to this, and didn't make a joke out of Spike having to kill in self defense, or of his past in the syndicate.

They also make a joke out of Katerina's...pregnancy. Don't want to go into more detail since spoilers. It was distasteful and just stupid.

Netflix Bebop sucked so much. I watched the 'Green Bird scene' of Netflix Bebop,
Spoiler:
and it is so far removed from the original. Originally, it was a beautiful scene where Spike free falls out of the chapel as he reflects on his past, and he remains still as he falls because he isn't 'alive' at that point (it matches with the end of his overall arc in the final episode). In Netflix Bebop, it's all about Cho making idiotic faces as he flails his arms, and thinks about Julie betraying him...because she betrayed him in this version by telling him off, and pushing him out the window. So stupid.

I just needed to write about this somewhere. I chose here. I've been holding this in for months now.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote