The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 02-22-2022, 07:55 AM   #21
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Street Fighter 4 brought back fighting games in the modern era, so SFxTekken was riding off that, SF was the biggest game of that time.

Now Tekken 7 vs SF5..... SF5 was such an incomplete rushed game, Tekken 7 was much better recieved because it was a complete game upon launch.

I think the street experiment is based more on the average Joe, not gamers. Kinda like people that have never touched a game other than Candy Crush would still know who Mario is. The average normie has a higher chance of offhand naming Ryu and Chun Li than Kazuya and Heihachi.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 08:03 PM   #22
Prowler
Emperor

You know, it really surprised me when I first read that Tekken is the highest selling fighting game series of all time, followed by Mortal Kombat. Street Fighter only comes in 3rd. And if you include nontraditional fighters such as Super Smash Bros. I'm pretty sure SF is below it as well in sales.

Thing is, I don't think Tekken has had any impact on pop culture compared to Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. I'm sure a lot of our parents can name Sub-Zero, Ryu or have heard the word "hadoken" before. But I SERIOUSLY doubt they can name a single Tekken character or move.

Why does this happen? I dunno. Maybe cuz Tekken doesn't really have a face of the series? Some would say Jin and Hwoarang are the faces of the franchise... but they weren't even in the first two games. They only debuted on Tekken 3. Before that, Kazuya was the face. And the most memorable character from Tekken 3 is probably Eddy Gordo anyway. And I doubt anyone who hasn't played Tekken or has lived through the PS1 era has even heard of him.

Like Leo said, more likely will you find someone who knows Chun-Li than any Tekken character. Even Nicki Minaj has named a song of hers Chun-Li. There's gotta be a reason for that.

Anyway, as for the topic itself, I haven't played SFV so I dunno what to expect from this, but boy is the SF6 logo bland and uninspired.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 09:56 PM   #23
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Street Fighter 4 brought back fighting games in the modern era
Street Fighter 4 brought back Street Fighter games in the modern era. Mortal Kombat, Tekken and others had been chugging along the whole time. MK to depreciating results, but it wasn't like the genre itself was on life support.

Street Fighter 4 made a big splash because there hadn't been any Street Fighter games in a decade. To date, Street Fighter 5 has still sold millions less copies than Street Fighter 4. I say it's probably because once the novelty of, "Oooh, Street Fighter is back!" wore off... a Street Fighter 5 with just more of the same from Street Fighter 4 didn't do much for anyone anymore. And Tekken just went right back to spanking Street Fighter in sales.

And if Tekken 8 dropped beside Street Fighter 6 -- and it just might -- you don't think the same will happen?

Quote:
I think the street experiment is based more on the average Joe, not gamers.
Right. Which doesn't really prove much of anything, for a variety of reasons.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:30 PM   #24
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I say it's probably because once the novelty of, "Oooh, Street Fighter is back!" wore off... a Street Fighter 5 with just more of the same from Street Fighter 4 didn't do much for anyone anymore.
You really, TRULY don't think that the fact that several million Xbox owners couldn't have played SFV if they wanted to, without dropping $400 on another console, had any significant impact on sales?

I mean SOME of the "There's really nothing new under the sun" factor was probably in play, for sure. Going by most peoples' reviews of SFV, I agree that had to have been a factor in the diminishing returns. Doesn't exactly sound very groundbreaking. But still, multiplatform games sell more copies, that's just math. MILLIONS of potential customers were not even given the option of buying and playing SFV.

My wife, for example, is a HUGE SF fan. Plays every iteration of every one that comes out, including Super/Ultra/Whatever variants. To this day, hasn't played SFV, because we never got a PS4. She's pre-ordered and bought quite a few fighting games on Day One, and I'm quite sure SFV would have been the same... IF she'd even had the option to do so, but she didn't.

I'm willing to bet that at least a million or so other people worldwide were in the same boat.

I don't think it's all one or the other as to why SFV sold less than IV. It was definitely a strong mix of both factors. It sounds like an underwhelming installment BUT a lot of people still did want the option of playing it, and they couldn't.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 01:04 AM   #25
Turo602
The King of Kings

Mortal Kombat is currently the highest selling fighting game franchise at 73 million sales, just ahead of Super Smash Bros. at 69 million. Tekken is currently at 53 million and Street Fighter is at 47 million. However, as Andrew pointed out, Tekken and Mortal Kombat have been consistently releasing games since their inception which makes their sales a lot less impressive when Mortal Kombat is on their 11th mainline entry and Tekken is on their 7th.

Despite Street Fighter's generation long hiatus, Street Fighter is still the highest grossing fighting game media franchise of all time, and not by a small margin either... Even as just a video game brand, it's up there. All Street Fighter V's sales prove is that despite Capcom literally doing everything it could to kill the franchise again, the name Street Fighter still sells.
Old 06-03-2022, 02:04 PM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Will have "open world story mode." I'm not sure how that's going to look.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/st...e76-1S9tj9gg_k
Old 06-03-2022, 02:07 PM   #27
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Will have "open world story mode." I'm not sure how that's going to look.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/st...e76-1S9tj9gg_k
Probably walk around a city that spawns the fight screen when you encounter various trouble on the street?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 03:15 PM   #28
Turo602
The King of Kings

It's literally in the trailer.

And honestly, it looks really cool. I had an idea like this a long time ago when I was getting into all the animated Street Fighter stuff, so it's pretty cool to see that they've gotten there too. Always wanted something more to fighting game story modes.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:31 PM   #29
Coola Yagami
Overlord

All the characters have been leaked. Good mix of old and new. Def a street look to everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg received_1012228922991211.jpg (21.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg received_1921980191524344.jpg (20.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg received_1721817401498623.jpg (21.3 KB, 7 views)

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 06-03-2022, 05:21 PM   #30
The Deadman
Foot Elite

I'm just glad it's not exclusive to Playstation like 5 was. I wonder if it'll get an inevitable Switch release like MK does now.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:33 AM   #31
Sumac
Banned

Finally, looks like it has an art direction, unlike SF5.
Gameplay looks pretty good, but complex.
Roster is solid, but hopefully it'll have SF3 characters.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:45 AM   #32
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

We still don't know if it's finally going to take place after SF3? Or yet another prequel?
Old 06-04-2022, 03:25 AM   #33
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
We still don't know if it's finally going to take place after SF3? Or yet another prequel?
Ryu is wearing what might be Oro's outfit (according to what some people are claiming), so it would imply Oro's SF3 ending of trying to get Ryu to train under him happened. Then again, the roster is once again mostly SF2 characters with new faces, alongside a couple of SF4 and SF5 characters, no SF3 characters in sight. Granted, that's just the base roster, I'm assuming some SF3 chracters will be added later on, just like they were in SF4 and SF5.

I find it odd though that we clearly see Damnd and some girl with quite an elaborate design fighting Chun-Li, neither of who seems to be in the base roster despite obviously being designed as actual characters. I'm guess they already have a bunch of DLC planned out already.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:33 AM   #34
Coola Yagami
Overlord

There's gonna be an open world mode where you use your avatar to wander the streets of Metro City, so Damnd might be a boss there.

There's rumors Eliza left Ken and took Mel and Ken is kind of a washed up guy trying to get back to the top. Rumors of cameos of Laura and Sean trying to cheer Ken up and motivate him to keep going, and some of the characters win quotes towards him will bring up that he's a has-been. I'm actually curious as to how his story arc goes down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I find it odd though that we clearly see Damnd and some girl with quite an elaborate design fighting Chun-Li, neither of who seems to be in the base roster despite obviously being designed as actual characters. I'm guess they already have a bunch of DLC planned out already.
That girl is the kid Chun Li adopted during SF3 now more grown up. All the retuning characters definitely look older than they did in 3.

Never noticed til you brought it up that there are no SF3 characters... They better not say this takes place like 10 days before the SF3 tournament or some nonsense.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:54 PM   #35
Prowler
Emperor

Looks interesting, but still a bit early to say.

I haven't played V yet. I really liked IV, but just haven't had the opportunity to play V I guess. Will have to sometime.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 02:15 PM   #36
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
It is confirmed its post-SF3 by game's director.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:38 PM   #37
Coola Yagami
Overlord

The street fighter Instagram just announced Guile is coming back, now officially rather than the leaked roster. Dude got some facial hair.

I'm curious if they'll show everyone one by one as the days go by. I'm mostly curious about Mimi cause the katakana says Mimi but based on the photo of Ken where she's in the background, it looks more like Monon or Manon or something else. Also Lili or Riri?

Old 06-09-2022, 01:19 PM   #38
Sumac
Banned

Maybe its the case of different names between regions?
Not sure why Capcom do that again, though.

Guile looks impressive. More or less like his SF5 version, based on a gameplay trailer, but not as freaky. He finally grew eyebrows!
Old 06-09-2022, 01:25 PM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

He looks like Paul Phoenix now.
Old 01-30-2023, 06:58 PM   #40
Coola Yagami
Overlord

We're getting closer and closer to June.