The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-11-2020, 08:22 PM   #241
Galactus
Foot Elite

I'd also recommend the original Street Fighter II manga. It was the first manga I ever read so I have a soft spot for it but I still think it's genuinely good, different but similar story to the movie but still good.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:02 PM   #242
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Hopefully they lost enough to put an end to this entire "live-action remake" experiment. Blech.
The Little Mermaid and Peter Pan & Wendy are still happening. They’ve already announced casting and the cameras will begin rolling for them at some point. Next year, we have Cruella with Emma Stone. We’ll see if Marc Webb will ever bring his version of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs to life.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:54 AM   #243
ssjup81
Foot Elite

The more I hear about the Mulan film, the more indifferent I'm becoming in regards to viewing it. One thing I really enjoyed about the original was how Mulan's character had to work hard to become a good soldier. She was terrible and struggled, but she managed to persevere and pull through while also earning the respect of her fellow soldiers. I'm under the impression that Mulan for this live-action version doesn't get that type of character growth because she's being portrayed as the perfect, strong independent woman....which would make her a boring character and a bit Mary Sue-ish. For the original, we were rooting for her to pull through and after that reveal, we rooted for her to get out of her situation. Is there any validity to this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
The Little Mermaid and Peter Pan & Wendy are still happening. They’ve already announced casting and the cameras will begin rolling for them at some point. Next year, we have Cruella with Emma Stone. We’ll see if Marc Webb will ever bring his version of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs to life.
I still don't get why they would want to do The Little Mermaid. It's so unnecessary. Peter Pan & Wendy...I can give a slight pass to. Live-action Peter Pan films have been a thing for years, haven't they? It also seems like it would be easy to do.

Didn't know about the Cruella DaVille movie. Wow, what could that be about. Will there be no 101 Dalmations?

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves can be easily pulled off in live-action too (I know I've come across something live-action-ish as a kid...maybe a short special or something), I feel. It's kind of grounded in reality. The story didn't have supernatural elements or all that much magic in it, outside of what the evil queen was doing when trying to kill Snow White.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:25 AM   #244
Leo656
The Franchise

The fact that there's actually been so many live-action Peter Pan movies is why I simply can't ever get excited about the possibility of another one. I also question who the audience would be. Kids AND adults are a lot more cynical nowadays and I feel like that's why all the reboot attempts over the last 20 years or so have fallen flat. Who are they for? Kids no longer take much mirth in wonder and whimsy, and adults have no time for reflection in their race to politicize and be outraged by everything.

There's just no place for stories about "the boy who refused to grow up" in our modern society. Perhaps there should be, but I'm afraid it's become passe' and outdated and I think that's why all the reboots fail. The moral of the story literally says, "Don't be in a rush to grow up" and yet Real Life in the present day is all about the exact opposite of that: "Grow up, find your Pet Cause, get outraged, and grab your picket signs." These things simply don't gel.
------------------

As for "Mulan", the last thing I read about it was yesterday, where a bunch of people are apparently outraged that it "wasn't queer enough", because they removed the General guy character who was supposedly showing interest in Mulan while she was "male-presenting" in the original, so a bunch of people are angry at Disney for "removing such an obvious bisexual icon" and thus "ruining" the entire story.

And again, this is why we can't have nice things. Because apparently the worst thing about a Disney movie, to some people, is "It didn't do enough to undermine hetero-normative dominance in our patriarchal society."

Good gravy. Wish this ride had an Emergency Stop button. I've been ready to get off for a while now.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:39 AM   #245
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
There is also, Lilo & Stitch, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Sword In The Stone, Pinocchio, Jungle Book 2, Aladdin 2, Bambi, Hercules and Robin Hood, They are all in Development. But some of them are being released in Cinema while others are going on Disney plus.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:02 PM   #246
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post

Didn't know about the Cruella DaVille movie. Wow, what could that be about. Will there be no 101 Dalmations?
Disney has decided to give Cruella the same treatment as Maleficent. We are going to be given a backstory about what made her such a terrible person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Pinocchio
That one almost ended up like the canceled film Gambit. It lost more than one director, but they finally got Robert Zemeckis to seal the deal as the film's director. Plus, Tom Hanks is in talks to play Gepetto.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:30 PM   #247
Leo656
The Franchise

I can't wait to sympathize with the woman who skins puppies for fashion. Awesome.

Old 09-12-2020, 03:07 PM   #248
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
The more I hear about the Mulan film, the more indifferent I'm becoming in regards to viewing it. One thing I really enjoyed about the original was how Mulan's character had to work hard to become a good soldier. She was terrible and struggled, but she managed to persevere and pull through while also earning the respect of her fellow soldiers. I'm under the impression that Mulan for this live-action version doesn't get that type of character growth because she's being portrayed as the perfect, strong independent woman....which would make her a boring character and a bit Mary Sue-ish. For the original, we were rooting for her to pull through and after that reveal, we rooted for her to get out of her situation. Is there any validity to this?I still don't get why they would want to do The Little Mermaid. It's so unnecessary. Peter Pan & Wendy...I can give a slight pass to. Live-action Peter Pan films have been a thing for years, haven't they? It also seems like it would be easy to do.
That's the woke 2010s for ya. Women can't be portrayed as having flaws, they can't struggle, we're not allowed to see how they start off weak or as losers until they overcome whatever they need to overcome to become the hero of the story. No, in today's media women must be shown as bolder, faster, stronger and superior to men in every way since the opening act.

Men get the hero's journey. Women get to be perfect from the first line of dialogue.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:14 PM   #249
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I can't wait to sympathize with the woman who skins puppies for fashion. Awesome.
Me too! Here's my personal list of sympathetic characters they should do next:
  1. The Witch Queen who poisons her stepdaughter for being pretty
  2. The aristocrat who enslaves her stepdaughter just to be cruel
  3. The literal Pirate who wants to murder children for petty revenge
  4. The usurper prince who overtaxes his subjects
  5. The Butler who drowns kittens for money
  6. The Undead demon king with a zombie army
  7. The brotherkiller
  8. The judge who wants genocide
  9. The gorilla poacher
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:13 PM   #250
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Me too! Here's my personal list of sympathetic characters they should do next:
  1. The Witch Queen who poisons her stepdaughter for being pretty
They did that in a book.

https://books.disney.com/book/fairest-of-all/
Old 09-20-2020, 04:41 AM   #251
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
The main story plot is similar but with lots changes along the path like no songs, General Shang no longer her muse but a fellow soldier is, the falcon is a witch, etc.

If you don’t mind spoiler check this Chinese woman’s funny tweet thread to get a taste of how it is: https://twitter.com/xiranjayzhao/sta...465590272?s=21
The funny and intelligent Chinese woman created a YouTube channel just to roast Mulan. Enjoy.

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:41 AM   #252
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
The funny and intelligent Chinese woman created a YouTube channel just to roast Mulan. Enjoy.

Cool, I watched this a few days ago. I would like to see her cover the 1998 version. I know it had issues, but I wonder if the 1998 version gets more of a pass because the inaccuracies are less offensive and wasn't marketed as being a faithful portray of Chinese history, like this newer version was being marketed as. Seems the stuff in the 1998 version was done for the sake of the narrative. Like Mulan cutting her hair in the 1998 version. It's considered dishonorable for one to cut his/her hair during the time Mulan is taking place in, but it could've been symbolizing how she was doing this as a way to protect her family, but also rebelling against them at the same time since she just couldn't fit in with the role that was expected of her. She hesitated before she cut her hair. It's subtle, but that could've been the intention there.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:13 PM   #253
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I stopped at the beginning when she was complaining that the crew was mostly white. What does race have to do with anything? If my skin is brown, I can suddenly direct a black movie better? Light a black set better as a gaffer?

Stupid. I hate this way of thinking.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:50 AM   #254
Shark_Blade
Emperor

She’s back.

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:21 AM   #255
Leo656
The Franchise

That offends and/or annoys me. I demand this thread be Locked immediately for nebulous and arbitrary reasons.

In fact, just close ALL of 'em. In case you hadn't heard, you have no right whatsoever to voice your opinions so long as even one person finds them unpleasant. Something-something "Constitution" or whatever.

Old 10-25-2020, 07:08 AM   #256
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
She’s back.

Cool. I am curious about what the 1998 version portrayed correctly and what was off. I do know that the thing with the Huns was off and how they wouldn't have been the enemies at the time the story should be taking place.

Tags
chinese government, papenbrook triggered