The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-03-2017, 11:46 AM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Alternate 1989: TMNT failed

Imagine it's an alternate 1989. The MWS series has failed, and got cancelled in December 1988 after just two seasons. The 1988 action figures also failed, and the Archie comics were cancelled in September 1989 after completing adaption of "The Incredible Shrinking Turtles". Forget major international marketing beyond the borders of the USA. And of course, no 1990 film is recorded. The screenplay may exist, but left rottening for years somewhere in an attic.

It's Thursday 23 November 1989, Thanksgiving Day in the USA, and tomorrow is Black Friday. Christmas approaches. But most children in this timeline don't want TMNT toys for Christmas gifts. (they aren't easy to find anymore, as production ceased in early-1989)

So, how do you think.

1). What would happen to the TMNT franchise during the upcoming years?
2). Do you think any more major attempts would be done to market the TMNT for a younger audience?
3). What other franchises, and kind of franchises would be popular instead during the upcoming years?

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 04-16-2022 at 04:00 PM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

So you're saying if the show only had 18 episodes? Then it would have been nothing more than one of those other obscure 80's or 90's cartoons that got canceled quickly, and only remembered by a small handful of people.

The comics would have continued to 1995/1996 as usual. I don't think the Image deal would have happened as TMNT wouldn't have been viewed as a popular IP, and then that would be it until Mirage tried again.

We probably would have never gotten any other cartoons either, as if it didn't prove successful in the 80's when it was new they likely wouldn't have tried again. Likewise there would be no 1990 movie either, as the movie rights would have never been sold if TMNT wasn't a successful cartoon.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:08 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Actually... I believe TMNT would have gotten some cult following even if it had been cancelled two seasons in. Let's not forget the internet has made it easier for people to find hidden gems from the past and other rare obscure stuff. I'm sure someone would have eventually found out about the 1987 Turtles cartoon and make it known to some younger people.

Tons of shows out there weren't the most popular around but have gotten a cult following. Nothing would stop TMNT from getting one either. And I bet its action figures would be worth A TON these days... if they aren't already.

And btw, the season 2 finale had a very final episode vibe to it. In fact, when I finished this episode as a kid I assumed that was the final one since the Technodrome sunk into lava at the end. It's like the writers and producers knew this could possibly be the final episode.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I think Eastman and Laird would have still gone their separate ways eventually as their creative visions developed. They wouldn't have been quite as distracted with the marketing side of the franchise, but they probably would have made a few more issues cooperatively while still letting their friends do issues. I'm not sure City at War would have happened as it did, as it felt like a self-conscious effort by E&L to do a no-nonsense approach to the characters, perhaps in some way acknowledging how zany the franchise's reputation had become without directly referencing it. Return to New York might have happened, but I expect even that story might have had a bit more humor and levity to it too.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:14 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

You also have to realize no other company probably would have taken the risk on TMNT, look at how other shows like Bucky O'Hare failed in the same time period.

TMNT would have likely just remained an indie comic for as long as Pete/Kevin wanted it to.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:21 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Tbh OP's question doesn't make much sense. I mean, if the first two seasons had been the same as they were in this scenario and Playmates had made the toyline as well... then how could this fail? Is this some hypothetical scenario where kids who originally got hooked to the FW cartoon from episode 1 on actually didn't in some kind of parallel universe?

It'd make more sense if you asked what if some other studio had taken care of the cartoon series and some other company had done the toyline.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #7
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Does this scenario mean no 1990 movie?

That would make a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #8
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Does this scenario mean no 1990 movie?

That would make a huge difference.
Yes. I forgot that, but added it now.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:33 PM   #9
ZariusTwo
Overlord

On one hand, I would'nt have gotten my favorite seasons (3, 7, 8, 10)
On the other hand, no Next Mutation
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:07 PM   #10
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

The funny thing is that no one would have suspected the FW toon to be incomplete since season 2 ends on a very final note, with Shredder and Krang supposedly killed by the lava.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote