The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-02-2021, 06:48 PM   #161
Slade
god status

Yeah I been trying. There's barely much around that keeps my interest. Especially to get me vocal about it.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:53 PM   #162
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade View Post
I need to catch up, but I'm not really liking this future stuff.
Honestly, I hate this show. It's so damn cringe, but I keep freaking watching it.
The first two seasons had a lot of effectively provocative stuff that I dug. Now they're just treading water. "It's 5 years later!" is the latest thing. 5 years later, but within about the first 3 episodes everybody is basically back to being who they were 5 years before. They barely touched on the Archie-Betty thing before abandoning it. Cheryl Blossom has been completely ruined, and never utilized as the "third" to sway the "will he end up with Betty? will he end up with Veronica?" debate she was always created to be. And then what they did to poor bastards like Moose... shesus...
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:51 PM   #163
Slade
god status

Gah, I hate everything they do with Cheryl
Hell Veronica gets on my damn nerves too. I am wondering about this alien abduction business they seem to have going on. But yeah, it's def the most CWest show I've ever seen.
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:21 AM   #164
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Saw the season 6 opener. Not bad in itself but... it's all "Rivervale" with alternate reality characters and not Riverdale in this one so why waste time on this and who gives af? It's just a strange "what if?" story atm. When Sabrina shows up it better not still be "Rivervale" and it better not just all be swept under the rug when she leaves, like she was never there at all.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:54 AM   #165
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

I didn’t think they would actually go through with killing Archie but props to them for going through with it. I thought it would be just to scare him and let him go at the last second or someone not influenced by Cherry’s supernatural touch would swoop in and save Archie. Now, I doubt it’s permanent and he gets brought back to life when they’re out of this Rivervale reality.

My guess for this What If is that maybe it’s Sabrina that is behind it all to show Cheryl that too much Supernatural doings can go to your head and cause significant damage that can’t be always undone and that she should tone it down or she will lose herself….IDK
TMNTFanatic4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 12:51 AM   #166
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So a big lesbian melodrama and "womankind" in fake realities and timelines... and a super tiny Sabrina cameo at the end. That's what all the hype has been about, it turns out.

Lame. Very lame. There was 0 reason to get excited about this.
Old 12-09-2021, 01:56 AM   #167
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Ok so Abigail pretended to be Poppy, then Cheryl

Then Abigail's spirit moved into Nana Rose's body, who died

So Nana Rose is now in Abigail/Cheryl's body.

I’m still confused.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 07:21 PM   #168
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

This past episode was my favorite of the first 5. The Sabrina one was very disappointing but this one with the reveal of Riverdale Prime and Rivervale bleeding into each other with Jughead from each being the ones to save them both was pretty good. I almost expected him to say, ok what did Barry Allen do this time to the timeline!
Old 12-17-2021, 07:28 PM   #169
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

And Sabrina didn't even come to Riverdale... she came to Rivervale.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:58 AM   #171
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

This could have gone for 10+ seasons if they played their cards right. Instead they surrendered to the same hack, woke writers rooms that destroyed Flash and Arrow's latter seasons.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:02 AM   #172
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
This could have gone for 10+ seasons if they played their cards right. Instead they surrendered to the same hack, woke writers rooms that destroyed Flash and Arrow's latter seasons.
I really enjoyed the first season of Riverdale. I was pleasantly surprised by how great it was, actually, even with the undercurrent of cheesiness.

But I think the decline began in season 2, and the show's just gotten worse since. I don't think it was wokeness per say, just the same trap a lot of teen dramas fall into: love triangles, cheating, breaking up popular pairings for drama's sake, melodramatic subplots that take up way too much time, etc. I'm sure the show got its injection of wokeness eventually. I stopped with s2, so I don't know for sure. I've heard some really dumb crap about the later seasons, and it sounds awful. I really hated that they went all in with Archie/Betty. Yuck.

And did they actually kill Archie? Someone mentioned it in this thread. If true then wow.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:16 AM   #173
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
I really enjoyed the first season of Riverdale. I was pleasantly surprised by how great it was, actually, even with the undercurrent of cheesiness.

But I think the decline began in season 2, and the show's just gotten worse since. I don't think it was wokeness per say, just the same trap a lot of teen dramas fall into: love triangles, cheating, breaking up popular pairings for drama's sake, melodramatic subplots that take up way too much time, etc. I'm sure the show got its injection of wokeness eventually. I stopped with s2, so I don't know for sure. I've heard some really dumb crap about the later seasons, and it sounds awful. I really hated that they went all in with Archie/Betty. Yuck.

And did they actually kill Archie? Someone mentioned it in this thread. If true then wow.
They did but it was alternate universe stuff…he was killed in “Rivervale” but is alive and well when they went back to”Riverdale”

But I haven’t watched since the last episode in the Rivervale Arc so I know of nothing happening after that lol
Old 05-19-2022, 10:27 AM   #174
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
I really hated that they went all in with Archie/Betty. Yuck
I prefer those two over to Archie/Veronica, who I never thought would be a healthy endgame for the comics despite the never-ending triangle. All the stories told with them married in "Life With Archie" kind of borne that out. Archie and Betty have it much easier.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:39 AM   #175
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
It was great!

Quote:
But I think the decline began in season 2, and the show's just gotten worse since. I don't think it was wokeness per say,
I do. Look what they did to Moose and Cheryl in the name of wokeness. Completely destroyed. Like, there isn't any salvaging these characters now and you can tell by how they're regarded now.

Quote:
I really hated that they went all in with Archie/Betty. Yuck.
Why? That's what's supposed to happen. The "Will he pick Betty or Veronica?" thing has gone back decades. If anything, they put Betty on the back burner from Archie for way too long on the show.

Quote:
Sort of. They did a weird multi-dimensional thing where he got blown up but then un-blown up. I think they were trying to be like Twin Peaks for a minute but the writers weren't really up to the task.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:46 AM   #176
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Why? That's what's supposed to happen. The "Will he pick Betty or Veronica?" thing has gone back decades. If anything, they put Betty on the back burner from Archie for way too long on the show.
Because it was super predictable and forced. I felt that he and Betty lack any chemistry whatsoever (and tbh, I think that extends to the comics as well since they're both super bland together even in the originals, but at least there it's just a goofy comedy there so I don't really care about chemistry......but Riverdale is an actual mystery-drama show, so...). I think the show was much better when it mostly settled on Ronnie/Archie and Jughead/Betty, which I thought both pairings felt more natural and interesting than falling back on the tropes of the comics.

Quote:
Sort of. They did a weird multi-dimensional thing where he got blown up but then un-blown up. I think they were trying to be like Twin Peaks for a minute but the writers weren't really up to the task.
Jesus Christ. These hacks really need to leave the David Lynching to David Lynch.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:55 AM   #177
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Because it was super predictable and forced. I felt that he and Betty lack any chemistry whatsoever (and tbh, I think that extends to the comics as well since they're both super bland together even in the originals, but at least there it's just a goofy comedy there so I don't really care about chemistry......but Riverdale is an actual mystery-drama show, so...). I think the show was much better when it mostly settled on Ronnie/Archie and Jughead/Betty, which I thought both pairings felt more natural and interesting than falling back on the tropes of the comics.
Well, it'd be a bit like putting Lana Lang and Lois Lane on like a Smallville show but never having Clark get with Lois Lane. Though I guess the Jughead/Betty actor/actresses were dating in real life and when they split up is when they decided to send Betty over to Archie's camp on the show. But they should've done that anyway.

And I don't know about lack of chemistry. She's very pretty but I don't think the Betty actress is a particularly good actress. She kind of permanently has this expression on her face like, "What's my motivation? Can I get some direction here?" Everybody else is fine. And man, that Cheryl actress is super and multi-talented. It's really sad to see the way they simultaneously wasted her and destroyed her.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:59 AM   #178
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I prefer those two over to Archie/Veronica, who I never thought would be a healthy endgame for the comics despite the never-ending triangle. All the stories told with them married in "Life With Archie" kind of borne that out. Archie and Betty have it much easier.
For some reason I didn't see this comment until I refreshed the page. Weird.

Anyway, I kindly disagree. I can't attest to later Riverdale seasons, but I just really liked those two in season 1. In the comics, I just find their interactions to be more fun, and I think Archie really draws out the better side of Veronica in a lot of stories (and so does Betty, thus why I like Betty/Veronica as well ), and she gets him to 'let loose'. I think they balance each other well.

As for the Life with Archie stuff...I found both Betty and Veronica's stuff disappointing overall, though I preferred the Varchie storyline. I dunno, I have a lot of mixed thoughts on those comics.

I can see why people might prefer Archie/Betty, mind you. I just don't think they're as interesting or fun as Archie/Veronica in the comics/show.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:02 AM   #179
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Well, it'd be a bit like putting Lana Lang and Lois Lane on like a Smallville show but never having Clark get with Lois Lane.
If it's written well, I'll take Clark/Lana in a story. In Smallville itself, Clark/Lana wasn't, and Clark/Lois had better chemistry and interactions there.

Quote:
She's very pretty but I don't think the Betty actress is a particularly good actress. She kind of permanently has this expression on her face like, "What's my motivation? Can I get some direction here?" Everybody else is fine. And man, that Cheryl actress is super and multi-talented. It's really sad to see the way they simultaneously wasted her and destroyed her.
Lili Reinhart is talented, yes. So is Madelaine Petsch. It wasn't the acting that didn't sell me on the romances, it was the writing. Even the best actors in the world can't sell something that isn't properly 'baked' so to speak.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:16 PM   #180
TMNTFanatic4Life
Stone Warrior

I stopped watching after the last of the Rivervale episode but did catch the last new episode that used Sabrina much better. Definitely liked how she was used here vs how she was used earlier in the season.