The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
maynardfan
New Recruit

Question what do you think of the new villains / supporting characters?

Let me start by saying I love the new series, but I am starting to get a little aggravated with the villains and or supporting characters. I know they need to change them or tweak them a little, but they have been pretty lame as far as design goes. everything's been written really well, it's just that one of the biggest draws to tmnt for me has always been the crazy array of characters and it feels like the new series is lacking this one thing, most of the characters that have returned so far have felt like mediocre watered down rehashes of the classics. and have been changed beyond recognition. This is just my opinion, I was just wandering if anyone else feels this way or not. thanx

P.S. I absolutely love the new splinter
maynardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

Yeah, it's totally fair for you to make this giant assessment of a series that debuted less than a month ago. That they're lame is your opinion, not a fact. You don't think what they've already shown is a crazy array of characters? A cranky Brooklynite turning into a tank of a mutant spider, a giant weed with insane root-like tentacles, a bipedal cyborg piranha, spike covered overly muscular dog, an army of alien brain operated androids & more are real boring to you huh? Picky, aren't we?...

Mediocre watered down rehashes of the classics... What? Shredder has barely been touched upon and we already know he's far more menacing than the past (toon) Shredders. Baxter is thus far really no different than his 2k3 counterpart, though he came through with a crazy robot suit right off the bat unlike his predecessor, & is being given a fleshed out backstory up front, too. Change beyond recognition? Are you sniffing glue? Tall evil bastard with a spiked helmet, shoulder blades, claws, cape, sounds God damn familiar to me. Black dude with a moderate-to-short length hair style, glasses, a little facial hair, somewhat scrawny & in arguably nerd-like apparel. That's far more Baxter Stockman (as seen in the source material, the Mirage comics) than any other cartoon version! As for Leatherhead & Metalhead, they both look a lot like past selves, Mirage in the former & the OT in the latter.

Your opinion smells disgustingly casual.

Welcome to The Technodrome.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Wow...and I thought some of my welcome wagon posts were snippy....

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Like Powder said, we're only six episodes in. Give it some time, and the villains will be fleshed out.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

The only villain I don't care for is Spiderbites.

His mutant design is dull and as a human he wasn't even a bad guy. Hopefully they can redeem him in a future episode.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
The Big Bad
Stone Warrior

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the impression I'm getting from characters like Snakeweed, Spider Bytes and Baxter is that they're really good one-shot characters but little more. I do not care to see them again, and don't see what can be gained from subsequent appearances. The Kraang, meanwhile, have gone from pleasantly creepy to serving almost entirely as comic relief, which doesn't bode well for their ability to serve as credible long-term villains. So far, only the Foot appear to have any dramatic potential, even if I'm not especially keen on the idea of having their lieutenants turn into mutants.

Previous avatar artwork by Lorna-ka.
The Big Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Foot Soldier Clang
Hench Mutant

I like they all so far, but we don't really know what they're all capable of yet.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
zkarlette
Fashionably late

Most of them are completely new characters, it would be unfair to judge so soon.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Your opinion smells disgustingly casual.
So you try to clown this person and end up making yourself look like Bozo.

Impressive.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
pannoni1
Foot Elite

Baxter is just a one-shot character? We have the mouser episode coming up and he is always ripe for a transformation into something new. Nick is just taking a "safe and steady" route to give plenty of time to build characters in order for the series to have a long run rather than just go all out and let the good stuff get compressed before a fanbase can buildup enough before Nick runs out of ideas. And I like the new Kraang with their robotic commands and when the alien brains pop out when they are losing in battle. The new Foot Soldiers are cool as well with the Mirage/Movie design and I enjoyed the battle in New Friend, Old Enemy. Snakeweed is fine since there is the issue with Kirby and he wasn't friendly to begin with. Spiterbites is the only real new villain that I'm not that fond with. I think Nick is doing a pretty good job so far, as we should expect a mix of regulars, recurrings, and one-shots.

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
Zany Orange Dude
The Little Nerdy Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannoni1 View Post
Baxter is just a one-shot character? We have the mouser episode coming up and he is always ripe for a transformation into something new. Nick is just taking a "safe and steady" route to give plenty of time to build characters in order for the series to have a long run rather than just go all out and let the good stuff get compressed before a fanbase can buildup enough before Nick runs out of ideas. And I like the new Kraang with their robotic commands and when the alien brains pop out when they are losing in battle. The new Foot Soldiers are cool as well with the Mirage/Movie design and I enjoyed the battle in New Friend, Old Enemy. Snakeweed is fine since there is the issue with Kirby and he wasn't friendly to begin with. Spiterbites is the only real new villain that I'm not that fond with. I think Nick is doing a pretty good job so far, as we should expect a mix of regulars, recurrings, and one-shots.
^ Gotta say I agree with this.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
NinjaMan
Mad Scientist

Spiderbytze is the only one I don't care for. But I like the rest. I also like how Bradford and Xever are being fleshed out before you know what happens. And I like the slow buildup towards Shredder. Also enjoyed Baxter and can't wait to see him again. I'm curious as to how they plan to introduce Rat King and what his origin is in this version.
NinjaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
Shogi
Hench Mutant

I have to say I'm not crazy about the designs for Spiderbites and Snakeweed. They feel more like a 5 year old's drawing than a mutant from the TMNT series. Dogpound and Fishface's designs fit more in with the type of mutants I'm expecting to see from the series
Shogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
maynardfan
New Recruit

I will say shredder seems really awesome so far, cant wait for him to make a full-out appearance. I think the big plant monster was really lame and I was disappointed by metalhead and baxter, though once again I think they have done an awesome job writing all the episodes. metalhead should be way more then just a pint size toy. all the villains so far (except shredder and even the kraangs)have seemed like, as some-one else mentioned just oneshot throw away characters. I am waiting to see what happens next with all the characters. I was not real excited for the shows return after watchin some early clips on youtube, but it turns out I really love it for the most part and am excited to see where it goes. thanx for the input I was just curious how everyone else is receiving the show.
maynardfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'll do them:

The Kraang: Creepy and entertaining, but I really want to see their plot go somewhere. What exactly are they planning? Why are they on Earth?

Shredder: Seems fine so far.

Snakeweed: Decent for the first new mutant of the show, nothing amazing but gave the Turtles their first monster to fight.

Spiderbites: Pretty boring character, and lackluster design.

Chris Bradford: I enjoyed his interactions with Mike, it'll be interesting to see him again when he becomes you-know-what.

Xever: Same as above.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #16
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

I'm liking all of them so far.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #17
Metropoliskid41
Stone Warrior

I like that they've introduced a wide variety of characters, we've seen someone new every episode, I think they've done a great job of introducing a number of villains that hopefully become reoccuring thorns in the Turtle's sides. Obviously the Kraang are the big baddies at the moment with the Foot looming on the horizon. I think thats a very welcome and nice change of pace, to see the Foot build and build until it all hits the fan at the end of season one. We have 20 episodes to go yet, be patient maynardfan and I think you'll get what you're looking for out of this series yet.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #18
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Soldier Clang View Post
I like they all so far, but we don't really know what they're all capable of yet.
^ this i agree with

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer

Unless they dont return the mutants so far are, nothing special. The new henchmen for shredder show some promise though.
Drose18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #20
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Call me the odd man out, but I dug Spider-Bytes. Part of it has to do with the fact that I'm a fan of Marvel's Spider-Man and the fact that they cast the legendary comedian Lewis Black to provide the voice role.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, nick