View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Volume 3 (Image) 21 58.33%
Volume 4 (Mirage) 15 41.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #1
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Image Volume 3 or Mirage Volume 4?

Disclaimer: I'm not doing this poll to start angry ranting and division.

I recently reread the entire runs of Image Volume 3 and Mirage Volume 4, and found that I really absolutely prefer Volume 3 as a whole to Volume 4. Now, first and foremost, that's probably because I hate non-endings. Even though Volume 3 didn't get a chance to wrap up all of its plotlines (before Andrew Modeen happened, of course ) at Issue #23, it still felt like a somewhat satisfactory conclusion. Volume 4 just stops. No ending.

I still don't care for much of Donny's handling in Volume 3 and personally think he was reduced to plot device more often than not (or just walking talking tank), and the emotion is lacking whenever the Turtles think Donny is dead. And all those damn Image crossovers, but honestly, the Mirage superhero hospital and Justice Force bother me just as much.

Volume 4 has the cockroach orgy, of course, but a lot of its stuff is great. Mikey, Donny, Leo... April as a whole is interesting, and it's somewhat well written even if turning her into a magic pencil drawing undercuts EVERYTHING about her. But by the end of the 32 issue, it just feels SO RANDOM with so many open plot threads:

The mysterious abduction, the strange alien who was attacking Shadow, the genderless warriors, the Foot Clan's evil book, what's up with Karai, what's up with Splinter, what's up with Rage Mikey, will Donny get his size back... whew, that's just off the top of my head.

So yeah, Volume 3 all the way for me. Which do you prefer? 3 or 4?
Old 01-30-2016, 04:01 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

I make it pretty well known the Image run is my favorite, so yeah, there goes my vote.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:16 PM   #3
Leo656
The Franchise

Oof. For me, it's a little bit like trying to decide if I want to insert a vegetable peeler up my nose and turn it counter-clockwise, OR, snip that tiny piece of skin that connects my lower lip to my gums.

I guess Image, by a hair. Basically, when I look back on Image, stuff at least seemed to happen, even if I didn't like a lot of it. Mirage Vol. 4, I'm aware things happened, but darn it, other than the stuff I hated, like the April sh*t, none of it stands out. I'unno if it's the lack of any payoffs or what, but the fact that everything moved at a snail's pace and there were zero resolutions was infuriating.

Vol. 4 did the unthinkable, and made TMNT goddamn boring... how is that even possible?

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I make it pretty well known the Image run is my favorite, so yeah, there goes my vote.
So what's your feeling on Volume 4? I don't recall ever hearing your opinion on that run of stories...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Oof. For me, it's a little bit like trying to decide if I want to insert a vegetable peeler up my nose and turn it counter-clockwise, OR, snip that tiny piece of skin that connects my lower lip to my gums.

I guess Image, by a hair. Basically, when I look back on Image, stuff at least seemed to happen, even if I didn't like a lot of it. Mirage Vol. 4, I'm aware things happened, but darn it, other than the stuff I hated, like the April sh*t, none of it stands out. I'unno if it's the lack of any payoffs or what, but the fact that everything moved at a snail's pace and there were zero resolutions was infuriating.

Vol. 4 did the unthinkable, and made TMNT goddamn boring... how is that even possible?
Let the hate flow through you! So what did you not like about Image?
Old 01-30-2016, 04:57 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

Felt like a ton of shock value for its own sake, for starters, although points for trying something different, I guess. And the art was bad. Lots of it looked like a coloring book.

Eh, I just didn't like it. To be fair, I'm generally very anti-Image, and especially back then, so there's a good chance I wouldn't have liked what they did with it regardless.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:20 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Image run was pretty good:

- Shredder's daughter Pimiko (which is where every Karai afterwards was based on)

- Mob bosses trying to get Shadow back from Casey

- Raphael becoming Shredder and leading the Foot Clan (is this what inspired IDW to make Splinter take over the Foot?)

- Leatherhead returning and being unstable with an Utrom Dr. X (this continues in Tales)

- Triceratons teleporting to Earth.

- Don becoming a cyborg (which is where IDW's Don might have been inspired by)

- Foot Clan war where they take the mantle back from Raphael and Pimiko helps the Turtles.

It also added a new mutant, Komodo.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:52 PM   #7
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
So what's your feeling on Volume 4? I don't recall ever hearing your opinion on that run of stories...
Shameful admission time; I couldn't even bring myself to read it in full. Bores me to death. I love Jim's art in it, though. There are a lot of decent ideas that could've been better executed, & there are also some things I just can't get into at all, like the vampires, for example. It's bogged down by a slow pace, excessive dialogue, & a lack of eventfulness, overall. I love the 'winding down' concept, that things aren't always gonna be high-octane or mysterious necessarily, but I don't think it was done in an interesting way.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:36 PM   #8
mrmaczaps
Banned

I voted for vol 3 but I have to admit it's only because I own all of it and due to Andrew's conclusion. When I first started collecting all volumes of tmnt I had initially decide not to go for v3 due to the lack of ending and I hadn't yet heard v4 didn't have any ending either. I love it all. But with v4, I don't think Peter Laird will ever get around to finishing it. God I hope I am wrong there....
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:04 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

I've read through Volume 4 multiple times, especially the early issues because I was a young teen and excited TMNT had new comics.

Its not that bad when you can read all the issues back to back. The pacing problems are nowhere as awful, although they still exist obviously.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:07 PM   #10
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I had no idea the hate for Volume 4 was so universal. Would really love to hear the opinions of those who prefer it...
Old 01-30-2016, 09:10 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

People really liked Volume 4 when it first started, all the beginning issues leading up to Splinter's funeral were great. It was around the time the Turtles all split up to go on their separate adventures which went on for 20+ issues and still never ended that the book fell apart.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:14 PM   #12
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
People really liked Volume 4 when it first started, all the beginning issues leading up to Splinter's funeral were great. It was around the time the Turtles all split up to go on their separate adventures which went on for 20+ issues and still never ended that the book fell apart.
Well, yeah, I know why people like it. I like it just fine myself, for what it is... the run up to Splinter's funeral is great, and the solo adventures are pretty good, but the long tedious writing style is excruciating and Laird adds way too many ongoing open plot threads without resolving hardly ANY of them.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:39 AM   #13
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

I prefer Volume 4 hands down, not that I don't like Image. Jim Lawson's style really complements Laird's writing style, and overall the book is extremely ambitious, daring, and so much fun to read. The Image series seemed too concerned with having a shock value, and at times it really is nothing more than another Savage Dragon series orvwhat not with the turtles shoe-horned in-- it should be or is it's own alternate reality, whereas there isn't really anything in Volume 4 that contradicts what came before it, in my opinion.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:48 AM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Image character crossovers are only in about 4 issues.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #15
TMNTChris1980
Stone Warrior

I like Volume 4 over 3. However, I don't think my vote carries that much weight since I've only read 1 issue of Volume 3 (way too hard/expensive to find). The art threw me off. I don't think the art is bad at all, I think it's suffering from what I like to call Eastman syndrome.

Volume 4 is what I like about Mirage TMNT. It puts reality into a comic book, and makes it feel very real. I should mention I never read the April roach orgy issue, so maybe that keeps me from dropping my vote down.

*great art, but when shrunk down to fit comic pages, looks less detailed
TMNTChris1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:49 PM   #16
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Dragon lord/Go Komodo, Pimiko, actual plot development.... Image, along with volume one up until the end of 'return to new york, is the very best of what Mirage has to offer- it sits in a place of honor right beside my idw collection on my turtle shelf.

April the magic drawing, Mikey and the dino gril babies.... Volume four stinks so bad I want ot give it to the neighbor dog to take out and bury it in the backyard. X_x

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:50 AM   #17
MrTrikey
Thug

Gotta go with Image, by a smidge.

I mean, both runs did things with the guys and their crew that I didn't care for in the long run, but at least Image kept things a bit more..."compelling" throughout, I want to say? And well, as much as I love Mikey teaming up with the Trikeys to whup some Styracodon tail, it took so long to get there (and who knows when we'll see what happens next?).

On the notion of an Image run...it'd be amazing if a collected hardback happened and it incorporated Modeen's stuff, too.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #18
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Neither volume is my preferred form of storytelling, but I'll say 3 because I prefer the art overall.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #19
Nortock Diab
Hench Mutant

I vote Volume 3 for being my first approach of TMNT Comic books thanks to the Savage Dragon.
I love Frank Fosco art and Gary Carlson writing !
Nortock Diab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:04 AM   #20
twopinacoladas
Stone Warrior

Hmm, Vol 3 is good more action different shocking events and interesting stories. I liked Vol 4 as as well as Lawsons art with the Duo Shade before they switched over to digital not that I disliked the digital tho. I liked that we see the TMNT when they are a bit older and experience different stories it never wrapped up I don't think I have read the last 3-4 because I was hoping to read them if Peter ever wraps it up all together. I also love Michael Dooney's painted covers. I think I'd have to re read both its been a while especially for Vol 4.
twopinacoladas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
image, mirage, volume 3, volume 4