The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 09-24-2021, 02:49 AM   #2741
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Piddy 1982 View Post
OK, now I'm in a quandary. I was eyeing up the NECA Ace Duck / Mutagen Man 2-pack on a UK pre-order (still available).

But now this S7 Ace Duck has come along he looks amazing! But better than NECA? Possibly.

Obviously for roughly the same amount of money you either get 1 (S7) or 2 (NECA) figures. So not sure which set to go for (Mutagen Man looks great to be fair so would not just be getting that set solely for Ace).

What to do...
In a perfect world, get both.

But if you can't, then you have to know who you are as a collector.
I'm mainly a Neca collector so i have to get that "inferior ace duck" regardless
but i do get some S7 here and there (I get on average 2 figs per S7 wave).

But this time, I'm deciding to get 3 figs from wave6.
Scratch (because you can't call urself a tmnt fan unless u get Scratch)
and I'll be getting 2 Slash. Because once again, I'm a MISB collector
and I also can't imagine a world where S7 Slash exist and I don't own a loose one.
So as much as it pains me to buy 2 Slash instead of getting an Ace duck,
I think it's gonna hurt more if I don't own a mint Slash as well as a loose one.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 03:32 AM   #2742
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergreg View Post
you have to know who you are as a collector.
You make a good point. I've been having a long hard look at myself in the mirror recently, regards toy collecting, as it's getting slightly out of hand. What with TMNT (NECA, S7, Playmates) and other franchises like Transformers and Ghostbusters I'm rapidly running out of the little space in my house that I'm allocated. Been thinking a lot about maybe cutting down to one TMNT line, but that is so so tough. The NECA 87 toon line and 1990 movie line are incredible. Could I really ditch one of those? Then the S7 (of which I only have the Turtles and Shredder) is such a great re-imagining of those classic figures I had as a kid.

I really think that some of the kids of the 80's/90's are now in positions in companies where they can say "let's do a new range in the classic style" which is why we are getting a ton of figures that hark back to that style and age. Amazing but goddamn it's hurting my wallet!

p.s. I'll probably end up getting both Ace Ducks then cry about it later...lol

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:23 AM   #2743
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Not familliar with the UK but maybe you can preorder from
a site that only charges you when they ship? I have such website
where I'm at but they want $100 per fig, which is almost double.

I think i'll just wait until my credit card rollover on the 16th of Oct
to place my order. Hope that is not too late.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:41 PM   #2744
Otter
Stone Warrior

Damn I'm fickle.

Super7's announcement of the Moon Watcher (and monolith!) had me also place a pre-order for Slash, as well as re-pre-order the orders I'd canceled for Samurai Leo and Quicksilver. SMH

Edit: ... and now Ace Duck.

Last edited by Otter; 09-25-2021 at 01:55 AM.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:04 PM   #2745
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

I consider NECA one turtle line regardless of movie/toon/vg/mirage/etc. And that's the line for me after I looked in the mirror.

I honestly think it's a bit crazy and irresponsible to be paying $50+ a pop for these figures whose entire appeal is looking like beefed up versions of figures that were already rad AF in the 90s. I have the originals and those are what I honestly love most so why would I take out a second mortgage for these? Yeah it seems cool to get them, play with them a little, pose them, but then you put them on the shelf or maybe even in the closet and you could just as easily put the cheaper, radder, more nostalgic *original* there. Meanwhile NECA is giving us stuff that's never really existed before.

That said I did mention that I'm finally caving on the mousers (cheap army of vintage mousers that aren't broken windup toys) and scratch (a vintage I don't own and never will unless I find one at a garage sale one day).
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:02 PM   #2746
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
I consider NECA one turtle line regardless of movie/toon/vg/mirage/etc. And that's the line for me after I looked in the mirror.

I honestly think it's a bit crazy and irresponsible to be paying $50+ a pop for these figures whose entire appeal is looking like beefed up versions of figures that were already rad AF in the 90s. I have the originals and those are what I honestly love most so why would I take out a second mortgage for these? Yeah it seems cool to get them, play with them a little, pose them, but then you put them on the shelf or maybe even in the closet and you could just as easily put the cheaper, radder, more nostalgic *original* there. Meanwhile NECA is giving us stuff that's never really existed before.

That said I did mention that I'm finally caving on the mousers (cheap army of vintage mousers that aren't broken windup toys) and scratch (a vintage I don't own and never will unless I find one at a garage sale one day).
These "newer" versions are much better than the vintage older versions. They are improved on every level- sculpt, paint and articulation. And besides, who wants to pay $100+ for inferior carded old vintage tmnt toys unless you are buying someone's else's played with, used toys for much,much less.

That said, the vintage line will always have it's charm, but just like MOTU Classics, these Newer ultimates are improvements over the originals.
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:38 AM   #2747
Chris
Mad Scientist

For me I’m getting smaller collections from NECA (the core movie, cartoon & comic characters) and hopefully a deeper collection from Super7.

The NECA figures look amazing (those movie Turtles are still works of art), but you can’t really mix and match the lines. With Ultimates we will (hopefully) get all those characters in the same look and style. A Shoate who can stand next to Super Shredder who can stand next to Bebop & Rocksteady. If/when Super7 does expand into original characters the sky really will be the limit. The only line that might cover as many characters in one style would be an IDW one if NECA ever does one.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:10 AM   #2748
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If/when Super7 does expand into original characters the sky really will be the limit. The only line that might cover as many characters in one style would be an IDW one if NECA ever does one.
When? At a rate of 8-10 figures per year (pending no delays), 2045? The year in which turtles fans are beginning to retire and get rid of stuff?
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:41 AM   #2749
Chris
Mad Scientist

The delays suck, no arguments there. But assuming they can get back on schedule with a wave every 4 months/3 waves a year that’s 12-15 figures a year depending on whether or not they keep the 5th slot. Matty Collector got pretty deep with MOTU Classics and only went a little faster than that (vehicles and play sets aside) so it’s not as crazy as it sounds.

Shipping and distribution has been messed up for a lot of companies over the last year and a half. Yeah, I think Super7 may be biting off a little more than they can chew with how many Ultimates lines they have going right now but I can’t really hold the shipping issues this year against them.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:43 PM   #2750
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
These "newer" versions are much better than the vintage older versions. They are improved on every level- sculpt, paint and articulation. And besides, who wants to pay $100+ for inferior carded old vintage tmnt toys unless you are buying someone's else's played with, used toys for much,much less.

That said, the vintage line will always have it's charm, but just like MOTU Classics, these Newer ultimates are improvements over the originals.
I love that most of the ultimates come with a weapon rack.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:47 PM   #2751
Dask
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
When? At a rate of 8-10 figures per year (pending no delays), 2045? The year in which turtles fans are beginning to retire and get rid of stuff?
If they don't make all the variants, it's possible that they could cycle through the roster in a few years. I'm interested in their 2K3 line (as hinted in an interview), but I'm not holding my breath...
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:35 AM   #2752
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
I'm interested in their 2K3 line (as hinted in an interview), but I'm not holding my breath...
I totally missed this! Do you have a link to the interview? A 2K3 line would be amazing for my display shelf (and amazingly bad for my wallet). I assumed if they wanted to do 2K3 characters like Hun or Bishop they'd do a vintage style version in Ultimates. I didn't consider they'd even contemplate a full 2K3 Ultimate line!
Old 09-26-2021, 12:43 AM   #2753
Otter
Stone Warrior

Okay... so now I REALLY want Super7 to do Monty Moose.

I'll need some law to chase down Scratch.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:51 PM   #2754
italianice388
Stone Warrior

anyone know when wave 4 is supposed to ship?
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:18 PM   #2755
j3h
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
anyone know when wave 4 is supposed to ship?
Wave 4 will ship from the factory in a few weeks and take three months or more to cross the ocean, dock at a port, get unloaded, get to domestic transit, get sorted and then shipped out to customers. I would assume we won’t have them in hand till late Jan or Feb with the all the problems global shipping is having that will be compounded by the holiday volume increase.
j3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:51 PM   #2756
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3h View Post
Wave 4 will ship from the factory in a few weeks and take three months or more to cross the ocean, dock at a port, get unloaded, get to domestic transit, get sorted and then shipped out to customers. I would assume we won’t have them in hand till late Jan or Feb with the all the problems global shipping is having that will be compounded by the holiday volume increase.
really? 3 months on the water? i don't know much about shipping, but i imagine the delays aren't coming from ships already on the water. can't be too much traffic out there in the pacific.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:34 AM   #2757
j3h
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
really? 3 months on the water? i don't know much about shipping, but i imagine the delays aren't coming from ships already on the water. can't be too much traffic out there in the pacific.
There actually is too much traffic. Right now there is a record settting number of ships lined up waiting off shore to get into one of California’s main ports…something like 58 container ships unable to dock. Each of these ships are ten stories tall stacked with containers and carry several thousand of them. So some multiple of 58thousand containers are just sitting there. And that’s at one port. The same problem is at all ports. They can’t get ships unloaded fast enough to get ahead of the backlog.
It’s not the travel time itself taking three months, it’s all the sitting around waiting to get loaded or unloaded that compounds the time.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:37 PM   #2758
mikey0
Foot Elite

The Super7 Spectacular Wish We Were There-ic-Con is tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a Glow-in-the-dark Muckman.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 03:47 PM   #2759
j3h
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
The Super7 Spectacular Wish We Were There-ic-Con is tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a Glow-in-the-dark Muckman.
Watch, we’ll get a glow in the dark April.
Because Super7.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:03 AM   #2760
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Ha, nope. They keeping hyping this stuff and then dropping garbage. I'd love to know how many $65 sweatshirts with a half-inch Cobra logo they sell. If it's more than 10 I'll be extremely disappointed in GI Joe fans.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote