The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-05-2022, 07:58 PM   #61
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Jesus, look at these numbers...

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/f...ry#tab=summary

It's been out almost a month and it's only earned 106 domestically and 82 million overseas. At a 200 production budget, yeesh. They basically lost about 150 million on "Lightyear." That was one super costly lesbian kiss.
That long? I haven't kept track, to me it felt like it just came out this past weekend or something.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:01 PM   #62
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Add to that marketing budget, which seemingly was smaller than usual for whatever reason, but still.
Yeah, exactly. We're still talking another 30-60 million there.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 01:48 PM   #63
CyberCubed
Overlord

So did anyone here actually watch this? I just got done with it. The time travel aspects were actually interesting and the movie did pick up as it went on.

I wonder how people feel about the way Emperor Zurg was handled especially the retcon. In Toy Story 2, Zurg told Buzz that he was his father spoofing Darth Vader. In this movie we find out who Zurg really is and I found it an interesting twist. He was also in several of the cartoons.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:14 AM   #64
AquaParade
Banned

I can understand why people feel inclined to push their ideologies, but we still need those places where almost anyone can be unified together.

If we can come together over something small, like a movie, or even a shared set of beliefs within that movie, it can hopefully lead to more understanding in other aspects of life.

Disney needs to get back there. We need areas of unification badly.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:51 AM   #65
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I can understand why people feel inclined to push their ideologies, but we still need those places where almost anyone can be unified together.

If we can come together over something small, like a movie, or even a shared set of beliefs within that movie, it can hopefully lead to more understanding in other aspects of life.

Disney needs to get back there. We need areas of unification badly.
Indeed, but it is unlikely we will get there soon.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:27 PM   #66
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

What I find absolutely hilarious is that Chris Evans said that the critics and haters would “die off like dinosaurs”…

And the film that ended up crushing “Lightyear” at the box office was a dinosaur movie.

Last edited by Cowabung-Gal; 07-25-2022 at 06:33 PM.
Cowabung-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:20 PM   #67
Sumac
Banned

Guess, someone else was out of touch dinosaur.
But at least Evans got himself that delicious social cred, with SJW trash.
Old 02-21-2023, 11:06 PM   #68
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The wrong takeaway from Lightyear, of course:

https://www.darkhorizons.com/pixars-...tyear-failure/
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 07:25 AM   #69
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:

I'm one of the people that knew the point of this movie, The thing is the marketing did not address that it was an in universe movie that Andy watched when he was a kid, And wanted that Buzz Lightyear toy after watching it.

The failure they describe is the result of the movie not being marketed as such, and people were confused because they were so used to how the Toy Story characters are, That they are toys, And nobody told them that the movie is the movie that inspired the Buzz Lightyear toy.

They just went along with it as a movie, and the audiences didn't understand why things looked tonally different.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:21 AM   #70
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

I got the point of the movie before it released. Even in the trailers it was blatant that the movie didn't know what it wanted to be. Is it a pulpy sci-fi adventure? Is it a bleaker dramatic space epic? Or is it a standard kiddie Disney movie that treats its entire audience like 2-year-olds?

I caught it on + months later which confirmed my suspicions. I have a multitude of other issues with the movie, but the tone problem was clear to me in the marketing alone. Though this could've just been me.

Artists are nothing if not damaged egos. The moment you start blaming your audience for not "getting it," you're already losing it. Hopefully there are more nuanced conversations happening behind closed doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The failure they describe is the result of the movie not being marketed as such, and people were confused because they were so used to how the Toy Story characters are, That they are toys, And nobody told them that the movie is the movie that inspired the Buzz Lightyear toy.
I'd take it a step further and say that the movie itself did a very poor job being that movie. Take Buzz's personality in the first Toy Story. He's arrogant, he's cocky, he claims to be the moral hero but just as easily abandons that persona. But he's Buzz Lightyear and he can do anything. If you're a 10-year-old boy, it doesn't matter how much of an a$$hole he is, you love that character on coolness alone.

The Buzz in this movie, with the story this movie presents, doesn't speak to me as sparking the next big toy craze or even attempting to. It barely feels like any toys would be manufactured for this movie at all. If Lightyear had been that movie, the marketing team would have little to no issue conveying that concept to a wide audience. To contrast, the same year's "The Bad Guys" showed how you can have a main character who's too cool for all this sh*t and still give him a tangible arc without sacrificing his coolness.

If Toy Story takes place in the 90s, 1995's biggest movie was "Batman Forever," not "Interstellar."
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello

Last edited by Aaronardo; 02-23-2024 at 03:14 PM.
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:28 AM   #71
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:

-shrugs-
Well they can learn from those mistakes and try again.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:13 PM   #72
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronardo View Post
Artists are nothing if not damaged egos. The moment you start blaming your audience for not "getting it," you're already losing it.
Standing ovation.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:13 AM   #73
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The film's director and producer were both laid off during the recent Disney job cuts

https://deadline.com/2023/06/lightye...fs-1235399708/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote