The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-25-2021, 03:28 PM   #501
Vegita-San
Emperor

hmm, looks like they are reversing their stance on orko.

I skipped ahead to episode five. It's a shame that Adam and he-man don't seem to get to do much in this series except die. but how that happens and the result, I don't have much of a problem with. and while hearing skeletor say the words seems wrong, the result isn't bad.

this is a series with stakes. and that may set people the wrong way. Andra doesn't seem to be an unlikeable character and this felt more like the old teela than in episode 1.

So, for episode 1 and 5, I don't have too much of a problem with them. yeah, the race swapping of greyskull is stupid, as adam doesn't look half black. but if they had left out the social justice warrior marketing, and the half shaven head stupidity of teela, I think they might have been better receptive of the changes.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:54 PM   #502
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
but if they had left out the social justice warrior marketing, and the half shaven head stupidity of teela, I think they might have been better receptive of the changes.
Pretty much yeah.

In addition to the absolutely bottom feeder plot - "Teela is angry and turns her back on everything because she wasn't included in a secret that was mandated by a powerful Goddess - you know, angry like a 5th grader".
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:52 PM   #503
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Kevin confirmed the following on Fatman Beyond for volume two

Spoiler:
Adam vs Skelegod happens in episode seven and is a mammoth seven minute fight. It's looking likely the last three episodes will deal with Eternia about to be destroyed and Teela becoming The Sorceress.

Orko is'nt dead either
Sounds good, can't wait. The 6-month gap is nuts and the speculation and conjecture has already gotten really bad and only promises to get worse, so hopefully it somehow gets moved up a few weeks at the very least.

Also I just don't like waiting for things.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 05:51 PM   #504
Galactus
Foot Elite

Speaking of speculation and conjecture but since this takes influence from the two-part comic story that concluded Marvel's short lived Masters of the Universe comic run does anyone think Andra is going to end up being the new Man at Arms complete with the armor.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:24 PM   #505
Leo656
The Franchise

She's kind of a crap fighter, so I kinda hope not.

Also, that's specifically supposed to be Clamp Champ's role according to the lore. Which Smith and Co. DID obviously familiarize themselves with despite some liberties being taken. Also, Mattel oversaw production so you'd assume they'd know where Clamp Champ goes.

Nothing specifically against Andra, it's just you've already got Clamp Champ right there and he's already "supposed" to go into that role. So if they put Andra there instead that'd be weird.

I do wonder what will become of Andra if her best pal Teela becomes the new Sorceress, which would make Teela bound to Grayskull and unable to leave. Maybe Andra dies? I doubt it, but who knows? I'unno just spitballing.

Old 07-25-2021, 06:32 PM   #506
IMJ
Emperor

Teela becomes the new sorceress, Adam grows weary after beating Skeletor and retires to Preternia somehow, Andra is rewarded for her bravery and becomes the new "He-Man".
Old 07-25-2021, 06:40 PM   #507
Leo656
The Franchise

Strongest of doubts about that.

Old 07-25-2021, 06:50 PM   #508
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
She's kind of a crap fighter, so I kinda hope not.

Also, that's specifically supposed to be Clamp Champ's role according to the lore. Which Smith and Co. DID obviously familiarize themselves with despite some liberties being taken. Also, Mattel oversaw production so you'd assume they'd know where Clamp Champ goes.

Nothing specifically against Andra, it's just you've already got Clamp Champ right there and he's already "supposed" to go into that role. So if they put Andra there instead that'd be weird.

I do wonder what will become of Andra if her best pal Teela becomes the new Sorceress, which would make Teela bound to Grayskull and unable to leave. Maybe Andra dies? I doubt it, but who knows? I'unno just spitballing.
Clamp Champ has so far been a total background character which seems like a waste of the character's first animates appearance. I'm guessing he's still in Eternos working for the Royal Family. I'm sure we'll see Randor and Marlena again but it seems a waste to not see how they are coping witghout Adam and ruling a kingdom that is falling into ruin.

I guess either Andra or Clamp Champ becoming the new Man at Arms would probably piss people off. I imagine of not Man at Arms she could take Teela's former role of head of the Palace Guard or simply reside at Castle Grayskull with Teela.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:52 PM   #509
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Strongest of doubts about that.
Nowadays you never know......
Either way she will take Teela's place when Teela replaces the now aged sorceress.....
Old 07-25-2021, 07:01 PM   #510
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Clamp Champ has so far been a total background character which seems like a waste of the character's first animates appearance. I'm guessing he's still in Eternos working for the Royal Family. I'm sure we'll see Randor and Marlena again but it seems a waste to not see how they are coping witghout Adam and ruling a kingdom that is falling into ruin.

I guess either Andra or Clamp Champ becoming the new Man at Arms would probably piss people off. I imagine of not Man at Arms she could take Teela's former role of head of the Palace Guard or simply reside at Castle Grayskull with Teela.
Andra as Palace Guard seems like a not-too-bad idea. I could see that.

I very much want to see how Adam's resurrection and reconciliation with his parents plays out. That should be VERY interesting and powerful stuff... especially with regard to Adam and Randor. I'm hoping that Randor's relief over seeing Adam alive will overcome any lingering anger about being lied to, but that will certainly be a conversation at some point. Whereas I imagine Adam and Marlena will play mostly like the scene with Clark and Martha on the Kent farm in "Justice League".

And yeah, I'm mostly indifferent on Clamp Champ but if you've got him, use him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's already become "Man-At-Arms" offscreen while everything else has been happening. I wouldn't have a problem with it, as Duncan was already apparently set to retire anyway and Teela turned down the job. The lore says Clamp Champ succeeds Duncan as Man-At-Arms, so if they do that, I'll be fine with it. If they don't, I won't throw a fit but it will definitely be a questionable choice and a wasted opportunity.

One of my only "problems" with this series has been the nebulous nature of how much time has passed between the end of Episode 1 and the beginning of Episode 2. Could be a few months, could be one year, could be several. "Justice League" did this too, and it's not necessarily a HUGE deal but it would help certain things in either story make a little bit more sense if it were explained outright.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:14 PM   #511
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Finished the first 5. I'm going to be thinking it through a lot more, but first impressions... well, I'm very mixed and conflicted about it.

I'm fine with doing a show about losing He-Man trying to bring him back. That's not what this is about at all. It's about trying to bring THE POWER SWORD back, they have no interest in bringing back Adam when they encounter him. They are content to reforge the sword and then f*ck off, it's only by Adam's insistence that he accompanies them. And it's things like that in this show that speak volumes about where the heads of these writers are at.

It all felt very rushed, 5 short episodes. I don't really feel like I got to dig my teeth into much of a story, to be honest. I'll say... I really liked the first episode and the flashbacks, the rest was very meh if I'm being frank. Evil-Lyn being the stand-out followed closely by Man At Arms and Orko, of the "main team." SMG's Teela is awful, her voice acting is the worst. Andra feels very shoehorned in, like it should have been some other beloved character at her side for this journey, makes no sense. Oh, and Scare Glow was great.

The low point for me was when they encountered Adam in Preternia and they wrote him to not only be a wimpy fool, but he gets talked down to, saved, and one-upped at every turn during that entire episode. He doesn't even get to be a part of saying goodbye to Roboto -- he is literally held back, only Teela gets to do that, despite the long history he and Roboto have. Oh, and then of course he dies a second time right before he can do something heroic. Yeah, nice.

People keep talking about "raising the stakes", particularly Smith himself. Well there's a lot of ways to do that. A lot. But they specifically set out to make a show where they removed the hero, brought him back and killed him immediately again. This show has no interest in He-Man, he's just a plot element in the background so that other characters Smith likes better can shine. And I fully expect that to mostly continue in the 2nd half.

Skeletor on the other hand? He gets to be his typical badass self you'd expect to see. They don't knock Skeletor down a peg at all, but He-Man/Adam gets it a lot in this show. Huh. Quite a creative decision.

And here's the part of the post where I blah blah point out it's only half the show, and they could change some things in the second half, and my impressions could very well change yadda yadda, that's all true too. But for now... I'm let down.

"Adam didn't die!!!!!!!!" okay we'll see. We'll see. Let's just say I don't really trust the creatives on this project to do anything right after this.

Pretty nice animation though.

Last edited by Zulithe; 07-25-2021 at 08:33 PM.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:51 PM   #512
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I guess the hard part about Prince Adam is that in the end, he is powerless and everyone else has some sort of special ability or whatever, while he needs to become He-Man to be useful. Unlike say, Clark Kent that's just pretending to be a weak everyman, Adam REALLY is a weak everyman and can't do anything without the power sword.

Assuming everyone now knows, it sucks that they all treat him like **** despite all the time he's saved them.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:15 PM   #513
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
I'm fine with doing a show about losing He-Man trying to bring him back. That's not what this is about at all. It's about trying to bring THE POWER SWORD back, they have no interest in bringing back Adam when they encounter him. They are content to reforge the sword and then f*ck off, it's only by Adam's insistence that he accompanies them. And it's things like that in this show that speak volumes about where the heads of these writers are at.
I think this has less to do with "the writers emasculating Adam" and more to do with the fact that "bringing Adam back" after being dead is something that never occurred to any of the other characters because... well... it SHOULD be impossible. Why would it have even crossed their minds until Adam himself presents it as an option?

Even King Grayskull, when asked why none of the others tried to go back after being dead, replies "It's unnatural".

It's like in Justice League when Bruce puts forth bringing Superman back to life and everyone calls him a goddamn lunatic. WE know that he's right, because we're the audience and we're omniscient. But logically, in-context, they're right to object. "It wouldn't work, it'd be 'Pet Semetary', you're a madman for even thinking it," etc. etc.

Same thing here. A sword can be re-forged, but people (typically) don't rise from the dead. Up to this point, none of the characters in the MOTU storyline have ever come back to life, or apparently even wanted to. So why would Teela and Co. be on a quest to do something that as far as they know is impossible? You know that if they had THOUGHT bringing Adam back was an option, then from the beginning they'd be just as much doing that as trying to re-forge the sword. As is, they're "only" trying to fix the sword because that's the only thing they KNOW for a fact is possible.

Regardless of everything else, Adam saying "I HAVE to go back. I don't care about my "eternal reward", and I don't care that I can never get back into 'Heaven' if I go back. I'm the only one who can fix this, and I HAVE to save the universe, or at least try. I'm not just going to sit back and let everything get destroyed just because I'm dead. I reject your 'paradise', it's time to go save the world." just serves to illustrate that he really is The Best of Them. And THAT is what we're meant to take from that scene.
-----------

Anyways, having seen some of the Part 2 spoilers for Episodes 6 through 10, I have a feeling some people are going to be pretty happy with Adam and He-Man's treatment. Some won't - it's still not "All He-Man All The Time" - but people arguing that "The point of this series is to make Adam look weak" are... well, they're mistaken. If they want to read it that way, well, that's their prerogative, but that isn't what they're trying to present with this story.

Old 07-26-2021, 02:59 AM   #514
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Teela becomes the new sorceress, Adam grows weary after beating Skeletor and retires to Preternia somehow.
More likely he marries Teela and becomes King of Eternia, assuming we catch up with Randor and he dies
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:06 AM   #515
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
More likely he marries Teela and becomes King of Eternia, assuming we catch up with Randor and he dies
I don't think he can marry Teela if she becomes the new Grayskull Sorceress, right?
Old 07-26-2021, 11:26 AM   #516
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I don't think he can marry Teela if she becomes the new Grayskull Sorceress, right?
A lot of the lore has no problem marrying her off to Adam while also being the Sorceress. I think it enriches the drama giving her two sets of responsibilities.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:03 PM   #517
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
A lot of the lore has no problem marrying her off to Adam while also being the Sorceress. I think it enriches the drama giving her two sets of responsibilities.
I think he means in the case that if Teela becomes Sorceress she can't leave the castle.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:06 PM   #518
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I think he means in the case that if Teela becomes Sorceress she can't leave the castle.
Adam could simply move in with her...

I mean, the place essentially looks like a palace in it's regular form...he can surely rule from there?
Old 07-26-2021, 04:53 PM   #519
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post

Quote:
Some won't - it's still not "All He-Man All The Time
Like most of the stuff going on man, I question that - out of the population of people that are objecting to the show - how many of that population are actually doing out of the honest, genuine objection that it's not "all He-Man, All the time".

I don't know that I really believe that is the real objection. I think the more realistic scenerio, regardless of what people say, is irritation that their "fandom" or the I.P. they love has been overrun by woke $#!( - whether actually or perceived - I think that's the real truth of probably ... like.... 99% of the objections.

On another page somewhere you had mentioned some things that they led with that didn't help the marketing effort; and I commented that one of the biggest mistakes was leading with that promo still of butch Teela and Tranny-Lyn. I think that set an expectation bias and it's one that the show has not completely squashed either. Basically another example of where they thought there is this general population "woke audience" out there who wants that material, they led with it and it backfired and now they are doing anything they can to backtrack or smooth it out.

That's the truth of the situation, I'm sure.

Even if the show turns out better than hoped by whatever outcome the last five episodes deliver, people are sick of woke $#!( and the marketing and creators primed the audience for it here. That, I think was the primary catalyst, and people expecting to see it are now finding it more readily; and not entirely unfairly either.

Last edited by IMJ; 07-26-2021 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:19 PM   #520
Leo656
The Franchise

Most of "critiques" that people are bothering to post out loud - both in "real" negative reviews as well as the one-sentence, 0-star or 1-star "reviews" people are bombing certain sites with - simply state "He-Man isn't in this, therefore it sucks."

There are some references here and there to "No more Woke Sh*t", but 99% of the complaints are "No He-Man, no point to this show."

I can only work with what people give me. I can speculate all day long about what they're "really" mad about, but I can only respond and pick apart the stuff they actually bother to whine about out loud.