The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-06-2024, 04:14 PM   #361
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Raphael is at his best when he's a sarcastic wiseass instead of being the angry one.
Old 07-06-2024, 06:45 PM   #362
CyberCubed
Overlord

A lot of the Mirage original characters were really boring characters simply because the writers did not do much with them:

- Mirage Nobody. Literally a boring Batman parody. We know nothing about the guy besides being a police officer.

- Mr. Braunze. Seriously, who is this guy? A psychic part of Darpa, did we even care about him? I remember him appearing early in Vol. 4 as well but he was boring there too.

- Complete Carnage and Radical. More superhero parodies

- The Regenta. Granted Vol. 4 stopped in the middle, but I don't know where Laird was taking this character. Last I remember she betrayed Michaelangelo and he wanted revenge on her.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 07:10 PM   #363
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
- Mirage Nobody. Literally a boring Batman parody. We know nothing about the guy besides being a police officer.
And his last name is "Longer." I didn't really care for him, personally. I guess there was more extraterrestrial plans for him later on, and with Shadow. And maybe there still will be.

Quote:
- Mr. Braunze. Seriously, who is this guy? A psychic part of Darpa, did we even care about him? I remember him appearing early in Vol. 4 as well but he was boring there too.
He had potential but yeah.

Quote:
- Complete Carnage and Radical. More superhero parodies
I like where Dooney took them later on. There was potential.

Quote:
- The Regenta. Granted Vol. 4 stopped in the middle, but I don't know where Laird was taking this character. Last I remember she betrayed Michaelangelo and he wanted revenge on her.
And I don't think for a moment those babies are his.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 09:12 AM   #364
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah I doubt those were Michelangelo's offspring. Here's a few more:

- Stainless Steel Steve and the rest of the Justice Force were ok for a one-issue parody (15), but shouldn't of come back after that. Besides Metalhead, that little guy is cool with his hair powers.

- General Blanque and the Federation. When PL/Kevin decided to create an opposing faction to go to war with the Triceratons over Fugitoid, why did they make them into generic humans? Couldn't they have been some other cool alien looking designs? Mirage Blanque was also really bland from what I recall, the 2k3 series actually did him better giving him more screentime and actually having him come to Earth and invade it alongside the Triceratons. From what I remember, we never did see General Blanque in Mirage again after the initial issue 4-7 arc, did we? I don't think we ever saw him again unless I'm forgetting something. Again the 2k3 cartoon did him better.

- Ocho from Vol. 4 was a cool character, but he got kinda sidelined and forgotten about as it went on. His rivalry with Leo should of been expanded on.

I'm not really going to go into the Vol. 1 guest characters, because well, they were created by other writers/authors. Some of them were cool of course, but I'm not going to hold it against them that the vast majority never came back other than maybe once if that writer did another issue.

It's ironic when thinking about the Mirage cast, because aside from the ones who broke into mainstream canon like Shredder, Karai, Baxter Stockman, Rat King, Leatherhead, the Utroms, Triceratons, etc...the rest of them were either generic humans, one-off aliens or magic creatures, or characters never used to their full potential.
Old 07-07-2024, 01:59 PM   #365
mikey22
Stone Warrior

I enjoy the 3rd movie more than the 2nd movie.
mikey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 08:29 PM   #366
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

There's something I don't like about IDW TMNT.

-The return of Shredder and Krang was very unnecessary. They resurrected Krang many times, only to have him killed without doing anything.

-Shredder's atonement was very cheap and hypocritical, most of the time he just became a fairy godmother and rest of the time was mostly spent having good time with Kitsune. He didn't actually pay much for his crimes. He just left the mess of his past to Karai.

-IDW Turtles are no longer ninjas and more like Teenage Mutant Hippie Turtles.
TheLabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 01:13 AM   #367
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:

- General Blanque and the Federation. When PL/Kevin decided to create an opposing faction to go to war with the Triceratons over Fugitoid, why did they make them into generic humans? Couldn't they have been some other cool alien looking designs? Mirage Blanque was also really bland from what I recall, the 2k3 series actually did him better giving him more screentime and actually having him come to Earth and invade it alongside the Triceratons. From what I remember, we never did see General Blanque in Mirage again after the initial issue 4-7 arc, did we? I don't think we ever saw him again unless I'm forgetting something. Again the 2k3 cartoon did him better.
I think I've stated this before but I believe they weren't meant to be aliens at all. If you read the Fugitoid solo issue, you'll notice they have names like "Johnson" and other fairly common names. Considering the Fugitoid was meant to be a serialised back-up with no ties to TMNT, it's probably that these were just human colonists in the far future, and were only retconned into being aliens because it didn't make sense for there to be a human space colony in the 1980's.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 07:25 AM   #368
ToTheNines
[sic]

- The crossover episodes of the 2012 show completely disrespected the FW show, both times. People just give it a pass over Turtles Forever because they got the original voice cast.

- This is just a fanfic idea, but I always thought April as a NYPD officer would be a cool version of the character. Gives her a unique relationship to the Foot as a criminal empire and would be an interesting spin on her relationship with Casey the vigilante. The original ‘88 action figure having a handgun has always made me obsessed with the idea lol.

It throws a bone to her reporter aspect, giving her a reason to be a sleuth and a valid reason for her to be a formidable fighter since every version is determined to have her get in on the action eventually. Could also keep the Stockman connection by having her assigned as his security detail, or working for him privately as a side gig.

- The 2003 video games were great. Not super ambitious as standalone games, but they basically let you play through the first 3 seasons, which is perfect for a tv show tie in.

- TMNT 3: The Manhattan Project on NES is still the best game in franchise history.

- Urban Legends 24-26 belong in the toilet. The Modeen/Dubakov Image closer is 10 times better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I like where Dooney took them later on. There was potential.
Yeah “Dreams of Stone” was a great story.

Last edited by ToTheNines; 07-10-2024 at 11:32 AM.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 09:07 AM   #369
Drose18
The Catalina Wine Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
The 2003 video games were great. Not super ambitious as standalone games, but they basically let you play through the first 3 seasons, which is perfect for a tv show tie in..
Agreed. They’ve aged pretty decently. It helps that they’re from a time when video games were both packed with content and actually completed production prior to release.
Drose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 07:32 PM   #370
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
- The crossover episodes of the 2012 show completely disrespected the FW show, both times. People just give it a pass over Turtles Forever because they got the original voice cast.

- Urban Legends 24-26 belong in the toilet. The Modeen/Dubakov Image closer is 10 times better.
To the first point, how? I'm not meaning to argue, I just wanted to hear your specific issues with it, as someone who thought it was overall fine.

As to the second, I wouldn't say toilet, but I 100% that the Modeen/Dubakov conclusion is better. WAY better. The others make sense as a closer that would have come out back in the 90s, and is probably what we would have gotten if the comic hadn't been cancelled, but the other one is has the benefit of hindsight, ties together way more, and is leagues better. I didn't hate the Urban Legends conclusion, and if we had gotten that one first, I suppose we all would have liked it more. But getting it after getting the other was always going to leave the "official" one as somewhat of a letdown.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2024, 08:49 PM   #371
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
To the first point, how? I'm not meaning to argue, I just wanted to hear your specific issues with it, as someone who thought it was overall fine.
They made the Turtles act like idiots that can't fight. They learned their lesson the first time, but they had to learn how to fight a second time in the second crossover?

As for IDW Shredder not paying for his crimes.... I mean he paid with his life and even went to hell, didn't he?

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 07-10-2024 at 09:10 PM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 03:02 AM   #372
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
As for IDW Shredder not paying for his crimes.... I mean he paid with his life and even went to hell, didn't he?
So he shouldn't be resurrected. He should continue to be punished in hell until the end of his sentence.
Old 07-11-2024, 04:51 AM   #373
CyberCubed
Overlord

The Turtles were fine in the Nick crossovers as were Shredder/Krang.

IDW's problem was always introducing 100 characters into the series and barely having time to focus on them all. Nulll did nothing for years after she was introduced, Ch'rell was completely pointless (you could have replaced him with any other Utrom and it would not have made a difference), and Bishop was sadly very one-dimensional this series.

Also unless the Patheon gets a follow-up arc, a lot of their characters were kinda wasted too. Granted they'll probably bring them back reincarnated or something eventually.
Old 07-11-2024, 05:37 AM   #374
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
This place is pretty dead, why not argue?

Obviously there’s a tone clash that they have to play around with between the two versions, but c’mon. The 2012 show might be my favorite version, but they have clown ass episodes like Panic in the Sewers, you have Shredder and his goons riding ****ing choppers through the city streets in Casey Jones vs. the Underworld, and your entire rogues gallery engaging in goofy “mutant racing” gambling on the side in the Mondo Gecko episode. And their mutagen laws make even less sense than the FW show.

I have love for both versions, but at the end of the day they’re all toy commercials for children, and the latter drew plenty of inspiration from the former. But then they have to have the characters act like the FW crew is annoying and completely incompetent. There was plenty of lame “fights” in the FW show, but those turtles CAN fight. And they were trained for 15+ years by Splinter, who even in that show he was treated as a legitimate martial arts master and basically never engaged in the slapstick crap.

Beyond that, Transdimensioal Turtles just blatantly tries to retcon Krang’s whole story. Obviously they were always fast and loose with continuity, but the lore around Krang was pretty clear. They just threw everything out and it doesn’t even make sense. Kraang Prime was always Krang’s dimensional counterpart, but now they’re saying he’s originally from the 2012 Dimension X? A ton of stuff didn’t make sense but we’d be here all day.

With Turtles Forever it was more earned because they at least spent 7 years trying to avoid FW-isms as much as possible. They then flip it around and have the 2k3 guys rightfully get dunked on by the Mirage guys, so it’s all fair game. The FW turtles also stepped up and saved the day multiple times and proved their worth in their own unconventional way.

Quote:
As to the second, I wouldn't say toilet, but I 100% that the Modeen/Dubakov conclusion is better. WAY better. The others make sense as a closer that would have come out back in the 90s, and is probably what we would have gotten if the comic hadn't been cancelled, but the other one is has the benefit of hindsight, ties together way more, and is leagues better. I didn't hate the Urban Legends conclusion, and if we had gotten that one first, I suppose we all would have liked it more. But getting it after getting the other was always going to leave the "official" one as somewhat of a letdown.
Yeah I assume Image was meant to continue for quite a while, before cancellation. Carlson probably wasn’t trying to hit some big grand finale so soon, and that’s why we got what we got. So I guess it’s cool to see an approximate version of an authentic continuation.

Still just didn’t measure up.

Last edited by ToTheNines; Yesterday at 04:28 AM.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 08:00 AM   #375
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

Quote:
The Turtles were fine in the Nick crossovers as were Shredder/Krang.

IDW's problem was always introducing 100 characters into the series and barely having time to focus on them all. Nulll did nothing for years after she was introduced, Ch'rell was completely pointless (you could have replaced him with any other Utrom and it would not have made a difference), and Bishop was sadly very one-dimensional this series.

Also unless the Patheon gets a follow-up arc, a lot of their characters were kinda wasted too. Granted they'll probably bring them back reincarnated or something eventually.
This is why most of IDW TMNT crisis event arcs so bad and they always end in an anticlimax, or are even boring to begin with. I was very disappointed that the Dragon died within a few minutes of appearing in City at War arc.
Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM   #376
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
I got a couple more:

- Turtles Forever > Trans Dimensional Turtles
- Next Mutation Venus > Jennika
- Ninjara sucked

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"

Last edited by Anarchistguy; Yesterday at 06:05 PM.
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM   #377
CyberCubed
Overlord

IDW Venus >>>>>>>>>> Jennika >>>> Next Mutation Venus.

Literally one of the few things Sophie's run did right is it actually made Venus into a likeable character.
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #378
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

Ninja Turtles can be heroes, but it should be pulp heroes or wuxia heroes. Their values are more rebellious, morally gray and selfish than any modern hero. Eye for an eye. They kill, but not indiscriminately.