The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-15-2019, 06:39 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

New Ghostbusters movie in OG movie universe Jason Reitman directing 2020

Do you believe in UFOs, astral projections, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full-trance mediums, the Loch Ness Monster and the theory of Atlantis?

If so, good news — there’s a new Ghostbusters movie in the works.

Entertainment Weekly has learned exclusively that Jason Reitman will direct and co-write an upcoming film set in the world that was saved decades previously by the proton pack-wearing working stiffs in the original 1984 movie, which was directed by his father, Ivan Reitman.

“I’ve always thought of myself as the first Ghostbusters fan, when I was a 6-year-old visiting the set. I wanted to make a movie for all the other fans,” Reitman says. “This is the next chapter in the original franchise. It is not a reboot. What happened in the ‘80s happened in the ‘80s, and this is set in the present day.”

Sony Pictures has dated the film for Summer 2020, with plans to start shooting in a few months.

It’s still too soon to reveal the plot of the screenplay, who the new characters will be, or whether the original actors like Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, or Bill Murray will return. Harold Ramis died in 2014.

“This is very early, and I want the film to unwrap like a present. We have a lot of wonderful surprises and new characters for the audience to meet,” says Reitman, who co-wrote the screenplay with Monster House and Poltergeist remake filmmaker Gil Kenan.

The all-female Ghostbusters movie that director Paul Feig made in 2016 with Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones, Kristen Wiig, and Melissa McCarthy started its story from scratch, unconnected to the earlier films, so it won’t have ties to this new one. “I have so much respect for what Paul created with those brilliant actresses, and would love to see more stories from them. However, this new movie will follow the trajectory of the original film,” Reitman says.

Reitman, an Oscar-nominee for Up in the Air and Juno, released two films last year — the Charlize Theron motherhood story Tully and the Hugh Jackman political drama The Front Runner.

He grew up idolizing his dad’s big-budget comedies like Stripes, Twins, and Dave, and says he was just as obsessed with Ghostbustersas any other ‘80s kid.

“I love everything about it. The iconography. The music. The tone,” Reitman says. “I remember being on set and seeing them try out the card catalog gag for the first time when the library ghost makes them come flying out. I remember the day they killed Stay Puft and I brought home a hardened piece of foam that just sat on a shelf for years. I was scared there was a terror dog underneath my bed before people knew what a terror dog was.”

Jason, his mother, and sister played panicked residents fleeing the “Spook Central” haunted skyscraper in the first film, but they were ultimately cut. (Here’s a shot of 6-year-old Jason posing with his father on the fractured Manhattan street they constructed.)
Courtesy of Reitman Family

A few years later, the boy did get a laugh line in the 1989 sequel, playing a birthday boy who was unimpressed by the Ghostbusters: “My dad says you guys are full of crap.”

When he began making his own movies, starting with 2005’s Thank You for Smoking, Reitman was often asked in interviews if he’d ever want to make his own Ghostbusters movie.

“I think I said, ‘There’d be no busting,’” he recalls with a laugh.

The truth is, he often wondered about making one, too: “I’ve thought about this franchise and it has occupied a piece of my heart for basically as long as I can remember.”

His father will produce the movie. “It will be a passing of the torch both inside and out,” says Ivan, adding that he’s touched his son wanted to join this part of the family business. “It was a decision he had to come to himself. He worked really hard to be independent and developed a wonderful career on his own. So I was quite surprised when he came to me with Gil and said, ‘I know I’ve been saying for 10 years I’m the last person who should make a Ghostbusters movie, but…I have this idea.’ Literally, I was crying by the end of it, it was so emotional and funny.”

Sony is also developing an animated Ghostbusters film, but that will come out after this new live-action project, and a different team will be involved in creating it.

“The Ghostbusters universe is big enough to hold a lot of different stories,” Jason says.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/01/15/new...ce=twitter.com
Old 01-15-2019, 07:45 PM   #2
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

I don't know how I feel about this. Ghostbusters was as important to me as the TMNT. I *love* that franchise.

For that reason, I positively refuse to watch the Feigman movie. It felt like such a poor attempt to cash in on the nostalgia/SJW fad that it just missed the whole point of the original films.

Also, I think something was lost with Harold Ramis that they'll never get back. That dry humor played so well off of Murray's nonchalance, Aykroyd's starry eyed positivity, and Hudson's reserved amazement.

They caught lightening in a bottle. It's going to be surprising if they do it again.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:53 PM   #3
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Well I’d like the 2016 movie to be connected somehow (even if it has to be an alternate universe ) but I’m happy to get another movie.

I know Dan recently said a part 3 was happening and nobody really believed him. This sounds like a confirmation but I still have a hard time believing it.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:50 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

F*** yeah.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:18 AM   #6
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Trailer!

When that one 52 second teaser felt more like ghostbusters than that terrible Fieg movie did
Old 01-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, that hits me right in the feels. This must be that "really cool thing" Aykroyd and company were talking about would come in 2019... just, 2020 instead now.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:31 AM   #8
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-movie-1176512

What is unclear is if any of the original members will return. Sources say that Reitman is on the lookout to cast four teens in the movie, two boys and two girls.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #9
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I wonder how they will address that Harrold Ramis is gone. You can't have a Ghostbusters without Egon.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
What is unclear is if any of the original members will return.
"All that are willing" is probably the real answer. Though if you think about how quick we've always heard about Bill Murray turning down Ghostbusters 3 script after Ghostbusters 3 script... the fact that there's radio silence on that is probably a really good sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I wonder how they will address that Harrold Ramis is gone. You can't have a Ghostbusters without Egon.
Respectfully, I'm sure.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #11
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Looks interesting, hopefully it will be good and get this franchise back in action in a good way.

You know the real reason Murray was not really interested in Ghostbusters 3 was because he and Ramis had a falling out during/after filming Groundhogs Day.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:13 PM   #12
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I believe that they seem to be headed the right direction with this film. Both Sony and Warner Bros. were smart to have Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and Ocean's 8, respectively, not completely start from scratch but at least acknowledge that the events of the previous films happened.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's a little sad/annoying that everything says it is a sequel to "the original film." Not films, plural. There was two, y'know. Yeah, somewhere along the line it was decided we were supposed to look back on GB2 and hate it, but it happened.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's a little sad/annoying that everything says it is a sequel to "the original film." Not films, plural. There was two, y'know. Yeah, somewhere along the line it was decided we were supposed to look back on GB2 and hate it, but it happened.
I don't get why apparently GB2 gets a lot of hate online. It wasn't as good as the 1st one, but still entertaining. Plus, you can never have too much Bill Murray.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:01 PM   #15
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
"All that are willing" is probably the real answer. Though if you think about how quick we've always heard about Bill Murray turning down Ghostbusters 3 script after Ghostbusters 3 script... the fact that there's radio silence on that is probably a really good sign.
They definitively could get Aykroyd and Hudson to return and the Teaser Trailer does say "Bill Murray Movie" so maybe they know something.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #16
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I liked GB2. It had a couple of good moments. Like the Statue of Liberty scenes. I don't get the hate on it. I saw that sequel in the theaters when it first came out.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #17
Vegita-San
Emperor

Gb2 repeated a tad too much from the first movie.

Venkman should have been married, oscar his kid. give ray a romantic interest for something different.

other than that small squabble (The video game would have explained everything going on with dana, making her a shandor and magnet for gozer stuff)....it did give us alot of new stuff...

the cool multi trap setup in the poltergeist scene. cool new ghosts. the end sequence.

I just think the 2nd movie suffered from them not having enough time to plan it out right.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:34 PM   #18
Sumac
Banned

I am with Vegita on that: GB2 was too much of a retread of the first one.
But it was not very bad. Soundtrack was outstanding.

I hope GB3 will materialize and will be a good movie.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:37 PM   #19
sdp
-

Adapt Extreme Ghostbusters, have one cast member return as the mentor and everyone else new, hell include Answer the Call as in continuity just to **** with nerds.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:06 PM   #20
xChri5x
Stone Warrior

Best part of GB2:

(I hope he has a cameo in GB3)

Last edited by xChri5x; 01-16-2019 at 10:11 PM.
xChri5x is offline   Reply With Quote