The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 04-12-2021, 12:00 PM   #1
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Japanese Dub

According to TMNT Entity, only Seasons 1 and 2 of the 2003 cartoon were dubbed in Japanese. What I'm curious about is how the characters sound in the virtual reality sequences in Japan from Secret Origins Part 1 and 2. It would be cool to hear Shredder and the Utroms speak in Japanese. Anyone know where I can find it?
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:44 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

I didn't find any clips of the actual show but here's the intro:
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:13 PM   #3
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I didn't find any clips of the actual show but here's the intro:
Love that intro.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:51 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

I wonder why the show failed there that they only dubbed 2 seasons. They should have at least went to the end of Season 3 since Ch'rell is defeated and Season 3's finale feels like a good "stopping point" for those who were watching in Japan.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:07 PM   #5
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I wonder why the show failed there that they only dubbed 2 seasons. They should have at least went to the end of Season 3 since Ch'rell is defeated and Season 3's finale feels like a good "stopping point" for those who were watching in Japan.
How long did the 1987 show last in Japan? did the 2012 even get a japanese dub?
I'm guessing it's tough for western shows to make it big in Japan and when they do they have to already have enough content because if they don't have new episodes they take them off the air and they lose the timeslot from what I remember reading. That's why Beast Wars has a bunch of exclusive Japanese seasons, while they waited for new episodes they had to have filler seasons of original animation so they wouldn't lose the timeslot while waiting for the next season.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:55 PM   #6
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
How long did the 1987 show last in Japan? did the 2012 even get a japanese dub?
Not sure if Japan got all of Fred Wolf, but they definitely got a good chunk of it. I wanna say at least five seasons? The 2012 series only had the first two seasons dubbed as far as I know.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:26 AM   #7
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
The 2012 series only had the first two seasons dubbed as far as I know.
That was the 2003 series, a fate shared by many non English-speaking countries.

I think you can use Google translate to translate the Wikipedia articles from Japanese to get some information.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:48 AM   #8
Powder
So tired of this place

I know what I said & what I said is fact. Japan got seasons 1 & 2 of 2012. If the same stands for 4kids, that's a coincidence.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:39 AM   #9
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Not sure if Japan got all of Fred Wolf, but they definitely got a good chunk of it. I wanna say at least five seasons?
Japan aired all of Seasons 1-2, then got kinda hodge-podge with seasons 3-4:
Spoiler:

NOTE: This encyclopedia listing seems to cover the 3rd dub, which was released on 25 VHS tapes but also aired on television (not sure about station... probably East 60 Telecommunications). TMNT Entity cites three different broadcast airings for the show (52 on NHK 2 Satellite Network, 102 on TV Tokyo, 44 on East 60 Telecommunications):
http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2010/...-in-japan.html

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 04-13-2021 at 01:17 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:01 PM   #10
Overlord

Quote:
I know what I said & what I said is fact. Japan got seasons 1 & 2 of 2012. If the same stands for 4kids, that's a coincidence.
All 2012 cartoon episodes aired in Japan according to the Japanese language Wikipedia
Old 04-13-2021, 06:53 PM   #11
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Reminds me of Mexico. One channel only got season 1 of 2K3 TMNT, then another channel got season 1 and 2 of 2K3 TMNT. Then after a while they started randomly airing Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers. A hell of a jump from seasons 1 and 2.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:39 AM   #12
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah I don't know why all the cartoons after the original never catch on in other countries. Since the original cartoon aired in Japan and other countries you'd think the 4kids and Nick shows would success there.

Besides that the Turtles are based on Japanese backstory from a ninja master, with an evil ninja clan as their enemies and they fight using martial arts as a color-coded team of heroes. You'd think that kind of set-up would be a success in Japan since so many shows there follow that formula.

TMNT is kinda like a Japanese anime just made in the U.S.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:19 AM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

I can't find a source beyond Wikipedia but I know all of the 2012 show did air in Japan. Of course, seasons 2 through 5 aired after the show was concluded (almost right away), way after season 1 and by a different network, so it's possible that only season 1 was dubbed and the rest aired subbed.

Anyway, I think the reason the 4Kids show only got 52 episodes dubbed is because that's the minimum requirement for a syndication deal in Japan or something. Obviously that must have been a bummer for anyone who watched the back then, episode 52 ends with a cliffhanger about the looming Triceraton invasion, even if they cut that out you'd still be left with a few loose ends. Obviously episode 78 makes for a better conslusion, even if Ch'rell screaming no would be a weird final moment.

I guess that if you had to cut down seasons 1 through 3 to make for exactly 52 episodes, I'd cut these:
  1. "Nano"
  2. "Garbageman"
  3. "The Unconvincing Turtle Titan"
  4. "Notes from the Underground, Part 1"
  5. "Notes from the Underground, Part 2"
  6. "Notes from the Underground, Part 3"
  7. "The King"
  8. "Tales of Leo"
  9. "Lone Raph and Cub"
  10. "Reflections"
  11. "The Return of Nano"
  12. "Return to the Underground"
  13. "Junklantis"
  14. "The Golden Puck"
  15. "April's Artifact"
  16. "Return of the Justice Force"
  17. "Touch and Go"
  18. "H.A.T.E."
  19. "The Lesson"
  20. "The Christmas Aliens"
  21. "The Darkness Within"
  22. "The Entity Below"
  23. "Time Travails"
  24. "Reality Check"
  25. "Across the Universe"
  26. "Bishop's Gambit"

Now to be honest, there are only nine of these episodes that wouldn't hurt for me to remove, it's just that these 26 episodes are the least important in terms of needing to understand what's going on in case you can only watch 52 out of the 78.
Hahahaha!
Old 04-17-2021, 11:41 AM   #14
TMNachoT
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Reminds me of Mexico. One channel only got season 1 of 2K3 TMNT, then another channel got season 1 and 2 of 2K3 TMNT. Then after a while they started randomly airing Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers. A hell of a jump from seasons 1 and 2.
Mexico and the rest of Latin America, it was a shame we didn´t get season 3 to 5 dubbed, and when we got BttS and FF... they changed the voices -except for Don-.
TMNachoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:57 AM   #15
Overlord

Different markets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yeah I don't know why all the cartoons after the original never catch on in other countries.
There are many reasons, and it affects all media franchises, not just the TMNT.

1. Dubbing requirements. Dubbing costs money, once the international interest for a franchise starts to decline, companies begin to hesitate if they should dub upcoming seasons. Texting may work, but it will not attach many younger viewers. Even the Fred Wolf cartoon was taken off air before season 10 in many non-English speaking countries.

2. Smaller markets. The less number of people speaking a language as their mother tongue, the smaller the market becomes. That said, with Spanish being spoken by so many people, there should be a market for dubbing all episodes.

3. Local competition. Especially in Japan, American comics and cartoons have a hard time dealing with competition from Japanese manga and anime.

4. Limited access to television entertainment in pre-Internet and broadband days. Some countries had a very limited numbers of television channels until the early-mid 1990's. France used to have laws requiring at least 10–20 % or something French content when it came to music over radio, or television programmes.

Sweden only had one legal television broadcaster, SVT, until mid 1991 (TV3 Sweden launched in December 1987, but originally aired from London to get around Swedish laws) and very rarely cartoons. SVT only had two channels (one until December 1969). Sweden also had similair laws for radio until 1991.

Many American action-adventure cartoons from the 1970's and 1980's only hit Sweden on videotape, most Swedish fans were only able to follow the comic adaptations.

5. Stricter laws regarding advertising to children. In 1991, Sweden banned television advertising aimed directly to children younger than 12 years old. TV3 Sweden had to continue airing from London to get around this, and air, for example, Fred Wolf TMNT. But it used to be a big issue for years. That makes companies less desired attempting to market a franchise and its products.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 05-23-2021 at 03:39 AM.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:14 AM   #16
neatoman
Emperor

As a side-note to what you said here, despite the Dragon Ball manga having a full swedish translation, not a single episode of the shows has ever been dubbed into swedish. I'm not too clear on why myself, either it was far too long to be worth dubbing or the content was deemed too violent for a children's block. But it does go to show, despite selling really well as a comic, the show just wasn't deemed profitable enough to dub.
Hahahaha!
Old 04-25-2021, 10:25 AM   #17
Overlord

Quote:
As a side-note to what you said here, despite the Dragon Ball manga having a full swedish translation, not a single episode of the shows has ever been dubbed into swedish. I'm not too clear on why myself, either it was far too long to be worth dubbing or the content was deemed too violent for a children's block. But it does go to show, despite selling really well as a comic, the show just wasn't deemed profitable enough to dub.
According to the Swedish Media Database, Dragon Ball has been dubbed into Swedish for home video releases between 2003 and 2005. But without television broadcastings, I don't think it was a huge success.

https://smdb.kb.se/catalog/id/001366525

https://smdb.kb.se/catalog/id/001366526

https://smdb.kb.se/catalog/id/001369825

https://smdb.kb.se/catalog/id/001369866

https://smdb.kb.se/catalog/id/001369957

https://smdb.kb.se/catalog/id/001370730

https://smdb.kb.se/catalog/id/001371125

https://smdb.kb.se/catalog/id/001371184

https://smdb.kb.se/catalog/id/002001848

https://smdb.kb.se/catalog/id/001372885
Old 04-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #18
neatoman
Emperor

Just to clarify, I know some of the movies were dubbed, what I was referencing was the TV shows. Dragon Ball (1986-1989, 153 episodes), Dragon Ball Z (1989-1996, 291 episodes) and Dragon Ball GT (1996-1997, 64 episodes) were not dubbed into Swedish in any capicity. I understand why the movies were dubbed, since that must have been easier, but we were discussing the problems with dubbing TV shows.

The funny thing about the Dragon Ball movies however is that despite contradicting the manga and TV shows, you pretty much have to read the manga or watch the shows to understand anything, the movies just don't explain who the main characters are or their current situation. In four of the movies Goku is dead, if you're familiar with the manga/show you'd know why he's dead and why they didn't bring him back to life despite explicitly having the means to do so, but if you're just watching the movies you'd have no idea why he's dead or why he comes back to life later. Of course, if you are familiar with the manga/show then you'd know it only makes sense for him to be dead in one of these movies and that he should be dead two where he is alive. Those movies are confusing no matter what.
Hahahaha!
Old 04-26-2021, 10:41 AM   #19
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:

The funny thing about the Dragon Ball movies however is that despite contradicting the manga and TV shows, you pretty much have to read the manga or watch the shows to understand anything, the movies just don't explain who the main characters are or their current situation.
It's so true. It's basically like Toei's answer to Marvel's "What-If" comics.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote