The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 04-02-2021, 10:51 PM   #8861
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

Not to come off as insulting but.....

You're the first person in my entire life that I "know" who is a big Dick Tracey fan. Like I've never seen one so into it not that it's a bad thing mind you. It's just like out of nowhere. Again don't think I'm insulting you nor your passion for it.

I used to have the toys as a kid as well.
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 12:59 AM   #8862
Leo656
The Franchise

It's not a "big" or super-popular "brand" or franchise, no. And again, it's much better off that way.

After all, it wasn't built to be a "franchise" in the first place. It was simply a newspaper comic strip that got super-popular, and in turn had a lot of merchandise and a few movies and TV shows made based on it. But it was never by design some big huge corporate thing that every generation needs to be "reintroduced" to like Mickey Mouse. It had its day, that day was a long time ago and now it exists primarily as a bit of nostalgia. That's perfectly fine. There's no real upside to it ever being a Big Brand, other than whoever owns the merchandise rights makes more money that way.

Collected editions of the strips have been in print for decades and most likely will be for a long time. That's fine and that's plenty. In its day, Dick Tracy was more popular than Batman, and by a very large margin. But again, that was ages ago and it would be pretty silly for anyone to try or hope to replicate that. So much of what made it "work" in the first place simply would not work today. Some things are just very much of their own era. I think that's fine.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:34 AM   #8863
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

As someone who reads old Dick Tracy comics and has collections on my bookshelf and also as someone who has mild love for that film... ya gotta give Leo his props.

I consider myself a fan of Gould's strip and the 70's and 80's comic book work of Max Allan Collins. And when I was 6 in 1991, damn were those figures awesome. never had them all... but I loved the Tracy figure. my mom even made a yellow coat for him out of her ruined yellow spandex pants.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 01:20 PM   #8864
Leo656
The Franchise

Now that I have all the figures I gotta get some coats for all of 'em. There's someone online who makes and sells 'em for like $10 each. The figures look SO much better with the coats.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:03 PM   #8865
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

Its the same collecting Bond autographs , most of the actors are gone and many uncompleted posters - still i love them.

Have italian OHMSS 2sh sgd by Lazenby & Rigg , thats pretty cool
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 03:23 PM   #8866
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Gear grind- trying to rid the house of dead bird smell, becaus- Cinna-monster. Last Tuesday, my hubby let Cinnamon out for her daily romp outside. Apparently, while she was out, she caught a young sparrow, because according to hubby, she came streaking back inside later, ran straight back into the rear hallway, and practically plowed into a stack of decorations I had sitting in the corner next to the hall closet. He said she was almost climbing the wall after something, but he never saw what she was after. I came home later, and neither saw or heard anything, so we assumed she had been chasing a bug. (She has a habit of bringing in grasshoppers.)

So after a couple of days, we started noticing a smell. Not bad at first, but by the fourth day, it was REALLY rank. So I decided to hunt down the source. Basically I followed my nose until I found where it was coming from. Turns out it was lying wedged between some Christmas stuff and the wall. Had to hold my breath while I wrapped it in a paper towel, showed Mr D the cause, and ran outside to toss it into the back of the dumpster. Hubby wasn't so lucky, he got sick when I showed it to him. Spent the next ten minutes with his head over the bucket on the patio, while I tried frantically to air out the apartment and spray some deodorizer to to try to get rid of the smell.

Long story short, we spent the next two days with the door and windows open, spraying the area several times until it dissipated. What makes it ironic is that the day before it happened, he had jokingly told her to go "catch mommy a bird"! So now when he lets her out, he tells her to go find mommy a 100$ bill, because if she listened once....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 03:39 PM   #8867
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I know the feeling. We have a coat closet by our front door and for the longest time it stank to high heaven because we assume something found its way into the wall at the back of the closet and croaked....it was awful.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:03 AM   #8868
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Lol yeah, we had a snake crawl into the one by our front door to hibernate over the winter a couple of years ago, and when spring came, he came out and I had to take him outside before she got hold of him. Sadly, I found him squashed in the parking lot a few days later, from sunning on the pavement, no doubt.

Old 04-08-2021, 04:25 PM   #8869
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Sore everything... but glad this work week is done and now will have a few to recuperate and get back to the normal work next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
What makes it ironic is that the day before it happened, he had jokingly told her to go "catch mommy a bird"! So now when he lets her out, he tells her to go find mommy a 100$ bill, because if she listened once....

Makes me grateful that any time a cat of ours ever tried to bring something in (or caught a mouse inside) they generally wanted to show it off and share and never went and hid it. (Though sometimes removing faceless rabbits from the front step was gross enough.)

If hiding dead things becomes a habit, might consider getting the pet Febreze. I have used it when we've had issue with a rather nasty smelling pain in the ass skunk that apparently likes to spray outside our house sometimes and have found that it helps decrease the stench, so it might be able to help a bit for your situation should it happen again. (Note, I'd been using the fabric one, even if it's technically a bit heavy to spray around the air. Only found the actual air spray version over the winter and haven't had a chance to test that one.)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:34 PM   #8870
Leo656
The Franchise

We've got a snake hanging around outside lately. Not a "Grind" because we like snakes, but since snakes were mentioned I feel it bears mentioning. He comes around every couple of days.

Old 04-08-2021, 04:39 PM   #8871
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
We've got a snake hanging around outside lately. Not a "Grind" because we like snakes, but since snakes were mentioned I feel it bears mentioning. He comes around every couple of days.

Coincidentally, we had just encountered a snake around our townhouse.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:12 PM   #8872
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well soon RIP to Yahoo! Answers.

Had used that site a lot back in the day in its early years, then quit for a long time, but got hooked on it again in the past few. Has been a ridiculous mess for a long time, what with the awful behavior of users and the bugs that had plagued it for inexcusably long... but it was a fun mess.

At least I'll always have the free round green mug from that time they gave away gifts for, I believe, the site's first anniversary. Think I also have a tote bag around somewhere. Relics from when the internet was a funner place.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:48 PM   #8873
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Apparently phone scammers think it's supposed to be believable to leave a message about a (fake) Amazon order, mentioning a big sum charged to your card, as if they're just checking on that.

Since when would Amazon ever call for that? lol I guess next they'll expect people to believe their local fire company is going to call to let them know their smoke detector isn't working.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:42 AM   #8874
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Why do people in workplace environments and other situations think it's okay to constantly freak out around you but then turn around and blame it on a mental health problem? It's a viable excuse, maybe the first couple of times, but after about TWO FREAKING YEARS putting up with it, you start to get fed up with their crap! Seriously, get help if you have emotional issues and stop taking it out on coworkers! It's not cool!!!

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:13 PM   #8875
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Sore everything... but glad this work week is done and now will have a few to recuperate and get back to the normal work next week.

Makes me grateful that any time a cat of ours ever tried to bring something in (or caught a mouse inside) they generally wanted to show it off and share and never went and hid it. (Though sometimes removing faceless rabbits from the front step was gross enough.)

If hiding dead things becomes a habit, might consider getting the pet Febreze. I have used it when we've had issue with a rather nasty smelling pain in the ass skunk that apparently likes to spray outside our house sometimes and have found that it helps decrease the stench, so it might be able to help a bit for your situation should it happen again. (Note, I'd been using the fabric one, even if it's technically a bit heavy to spray around the air. Only found the actual air spray version over the winter and haven't had a chance to test that one.)

She didn't "hide" it so much as "lose" it in a spot she couldn't reach to retrieve it when it apparently got away from her, only to die of its injuries. It was supposedly still alive when hubby said he heard something the next day, but probably not by the time I got home that day, because I never heard anything. She usually brings her "trophies" in still alive, as if to teach us to hunt them, but some are just not lucky enough to stay that way, as I've discovered a dead gecko or two, and she tends to kill most bugs outright.

Old 04-11-2021, 03:33 PM   #8876
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Ohhh, I see, poor things.

Grind... It's not enough I guess that Yahoo is closing that site and eBay is taking the rewards bucks away, but one of my games I guess is also planning to make a big update later this month or next that will likely cut my ability to play it. Account should still be there when ever I eventually get around to getting a new system, but the fact that money has been put into this and a friend and I like playing it some weekends... yeah, that stinks.

They had long taken into account having a game that's accessible even to those with older or lower spec computers, but guess they've stopped caring about that. If they decided that a next added world would only be accessible to people with newer computers, then fine, I could deal with that, we still have quite a few existing ones to do anyhow, but changing the whole thing... come on.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:28 AM   #8877
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Cats and ribbon. And cats who manage to somehow find a piece of ribbon, ingest it, and when the humans aren't home take the opportunity to drag his ribbon dispenser of a butt across the flooring and a rug.

Luckily it's a more mat-like indoor/outdoor area rug and can be washed, by hand...but I wish he'd have waited to create this mess when it was 80 degrees (it's only upper 50s...) and I'd have access to the darn hose that some people just love to block the spigot to with their car crap. Reminds me of another reason I hate that our enclosed back porch is gone where it could have been left to dry.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:59 PM   #8878
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

A grind a week in the making....

It finally happened. We've always been afraid of something like this, but last weekend Mr D. became very sick, throwing up everything he ate or drank from late Friday evening on. When he was still sick early Monday morning, I decided to call in to work and stay with him to keep an eye on his blood pressure and sugar. I suggested he go to the er, as I was worried that he might have had a bad reaction to the Covid shot, but he didn't agree to do so until around noon Tuesday, after I had again called in. He was admitted that afternoon, and they ran several tests. It wasn't Covid or a reaction to the shot. It was, in fact, a deep abscess infection in the pressure wound on his foot. There had been no sign of it on the surface, but apparently it was hidden between the layers of the wound opening, under the edges where it was trying to heal. And it was bad enough that it formed a fluidic fistula that opened another hole and was oozing fluid from the side. In addition to bleeding almost constantly after they did surgery to open it up and clean it out.

So, long story short, he has now lost the rest of his foot, as they had to do an emergency surgery to amputate it because they were unable to save it due to the infection being so deep and having spread so far. He's still in the hospital recovering, and I've been home alone most of the week since visitation hours are very limited, and I had to work the rest of the week after calling in for two days. They even somehow convinced me to work Saturday to make up one of my lost days, even though I have been mentally and physically exhausted from going to and from work AND the hospital three days this week. Plus doing regular errands like grocery shopping. Spent the rest of the time just trying to distract myself from everything going on, but it's not working very well. The only bright side was that one of our other drive through girls was out all week (also in hospital for leg surgery, oddly enough) so I was able to do back window most of the time where it is less stressful. Still tired and mentally stressed, though.

Old 04-18-2021, 11:12 PM   #8879
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Man, Duckie I'm so sorry for your cruddy week. Hope things get better for you and the mister.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:18 AM   #8880
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
A grind a week in the making....

It finally happened. We've always been afraid of something like this, but last weekend Mr D. became very sick, throwing up everything he ate or drank from late Friday evening on. When he was still sick early Monday morning, I decided to call in to work and stay with him to keep an eye on his blood pressure and sugar. I suggested he go to the er, as I was worried that he might have had a bad reaction to the Covid shot, but he didn't agree to do so until around noon Tuesday, after I had again called in. He was admitted that afternoon, and they ran several tests. It wasn't Covid or a reaction to the shot. It was, in fact, a deep abscess infection in the pressure wound on his foot. There had been no sign of it on the surface, but apparently it was hidden between the layers of the wound opening, under the edges where it was trying to heal. And it was bad enough that it formed a fluidic fistula that opened another hole and was oozing fluid from the side. In addition to bleeding almost constantly after they did surgery to open it up and clean it out.

So, long story short, he has now lost the rest of his foot, as they had to do an emergency surgery to amputate it because they were unable to save it due to the infection being so deep and having spread so far. He's still in the hospital recovering, and I've been home alone most of the week since visitation hours are very limited, and I had to work the rest of the week after calling in for two days. They even somehow convinced me to work Saturday to make up one of my lost days, even though I have been mentally and physically exhausted from going to and from work AND the hospital three days this week. Plus doing regular errands like grocery shopping. Spent the rest of the time just trying to distract myself from everything going on, but it's not working very well. The only bright side was that one of our other drive through girls was out all week (also in hospital for leg surgery, oddly enough) so I was able to do back window most of the time where it is less stressful. Still tired and mentally stressed, though.

I'm sorry that you and your husband are going through so much pain.

I wish you both the best.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote